Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Beard

Started by colbs, April 14, 2016, 11:47:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

colbs

Apparently is now talking to Texas Tech.

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Sivad

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 15, 2016, 12:33:03 am
UNLV can't seem to get his contract approved.
That would appear to be Texas Tech's good fortune.

King Kong

Hope it works out for him. But Texas Tech is a hard place to win IMO

root_hawg

That would be a quick blip on your coaching record, kind of like Altman

Doug

Quote from: root_hawgThat would be a quick blip on your coaching record, kind of like Altman
I had made the same reference yesterday.

Someone tweeted out a rather interesting stat yesterday. When Chris Beard was at TTU, their win percentage was around 57%. After he left, they dipped down to the low 40% range.

He's spent 10 years there... including 8 under Bobby Knight... so he's got a LOT of history (and familiarity) with TTU. Something tells me that if he does, indeed, land at TTU, the Big 12, collectively, will groan.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Hawg Red

Texas Tech is much better, and more natural, fit for Beard than UNLV.

TrueBlue

Also, the old regiment is not too happy about Stacy Augmon getting passed over.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/stacey-augmon-goes-silent-after-being-passed-over-unlv-job

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/stacey-augmon-s-campaign-unlv-job-supported-ad-rj

When you have the "faces" of the glory years supporting Augmon (Larry Johnson, Greg Anthony, etc..) , they will quickly pounce on Beard if he does go to UNLV and is not successful.

ricepig

ricepig

hoglady

Probably the best move for Beard.
A segment of fans were not happy with the Beard hire at all - they wanted Augman and weren't really willing to give Beard a chance.
It also appears with a 9-4 vote by the Board of Regents at UNLV - the hire was not popular with the power structure either.
Beard will have full support at Texas Tech.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jjdlc

Quote from: hoglady on April 15, 2016, 10:09:26 am
A segment of fans were not happy with the Beard hire at all - they wanted Augman and weren't really willing to give Beard a chance.
It also appears with a 9-4 vote by the Board of Regents at UNLV - the hire was not popular with the power structure either.

Very true, he was meeting resistance.  That, coupled with the fact he has family, daughters I believe that live near Lubbock, you could see this coming.  Tech isn't an going to be an easy job, but neither was UALR, we'll get to see just how good he really is.

jry04

UNLV has something like 4 players on their entire roster for next year with all the seniors, transfers, and players who declared for the NBA who are expected to actually leave. Throw in the fact that half their recruiting class is possibly looking elsewhere, and UNLV will be a pretty big rebuilding job. I was kind of surprised he took it to begin with considering all of the other schools who were after him.

Atlhogfan1

Good for Beard if he gets to escape UNLV.  This is what can happen when some former players and segment of fans want to hold a program hostage for their own selfish interests.  They should hire Augmon and get it over with. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

poloprince

It's crazy that UNLV has been struggling to rebuild a basketball powerhouse just like Arkansas. They just got Dana Altmaned.
$PoLoPrInCe$

dsims2k3

Quote from: poloprince on April 15, 2016, 11:55:15 am
It's crazy that UNLV has been struggling to rebuild a basketball powerhouse just like Arkansas. They just got Dana Altmaned.

Yep. I wonder if Jaylen Fisher ready to  jump ship.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Kevin

they want stacy augmon
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgAdvocate

hogwood

Quote from: dsims2k3 on April 15, 2016, 12:32:55 pm
Yep. I wonder if Jaylen Fisher ready to  jump ship.

I would be if I was him. Maybe he just really likes Vegas...

Kevin

if he goes, wonder if he cries when a player decommits and goes somewhere else
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

CallMeAl

I keep waiting on a reply that ties this post to the Arkansas Razorback basketball program. I don't care if Chris Beard is going to coach the Los Angeles Lakers or anywhere else.
Hog since birth.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on April 15, 2016, 02:04:42 pm
I keep waiting on a reply that ties this post to the Arkansas Razorback basketball program. I don't care if Chris Beard is going to coach the Los Angeles Lakers or anywhere else.

There isn't much to talk about in the way of Razorback basketball right now. Lighten up.

HawgAdvocate

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on April 15, 2016, 02:04:42 pm

Jaylen Fisher is a pretty good reason to pay attention to UNLV.

CallMeAl

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2016, 02:16:34 pm
There isn't much to talk about in the way of Razorback basketball right now. Lighten up.
Oh yeah?!
Hog since birth.

HawgAdvocate

King Kong

SpaCityHawg

I just read on ESPN, that this is the second time Beard has done this.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on April 15, 2016, 10:09:26 am

I think you are right.  TT is probable a better fit but recruiting and winning in the Big 12 will be much harder than UNLV I think. But I heard that if he did stick with UNLV that a lot of players there were leaving and he would basically have to start all over.

King Kong

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on April 15, 2016, 03:46:48 pm

I also tend to leave jobs for that pay more money

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: King Kong on April 15, 2016, 04:19:54 pm
I also tend to leave jobs for that pay more money

Without working a day?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on April 15, 2016, 04:53:36 pm
Without working a day?

Technically, he's been working there a little less than a week now. The contract was approved on 4/8. He agreed to the job on 3/27.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 15, 2016, 04:58:20 pm
Technically, he's been working there a little less than a week now. The contract was approved on 4/8.

I really don't care, I was just relaying a little info I ran across. I will say Beard has out" Altmaned" Dana Altman. I'm also sure other coaches will not use this against him on the recruiting trail.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on April 15, 2016, 05:02:45 pm
I really don't care, I was just relaying a little info I ran across. I will say Beard has out" Altmaned" Dana Altman. I'm also sure other coaches will not use this against him on the recruiting trail.

When a top 5 curmudgeon like Tony Kornheiser can take Beard's side due to the unusual circumstances surrounding the situation, then he'll probably be fine.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

husker71

did UNLV collect $1 Million in buyout??  Not a bad payday for just a couple of weeks

Danny J

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on April 15, 2016, 05:02:45 pm
Also don't forget that beard was at TTU for 10 years. So I think that played a lot into the decision

hoglady

He gets his dream job - at what close to double the money, plus is closer to his girls.
Leaves a place that took 10 days to approve his hire - whose regents voted 9-4 for approval.
Hope Beard does great at TT.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: hoglady on April 15, 2016, 09:06:14 pm
He gets his dream job - at what close to double the money, plus is closer to his girls.
Leaves a place that took 10 days to approve his hire - whose regents voted 9-4 for approval.
Hope Beard does great at TT.

Sure, I get all that. At some point I think people will question whether Beard is a man of his word. I don't care if he does well or not at TTU, I'm a Hog fan.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: husker71 on April 15, 2016, 08:08:54 pm
did UNLV collect $1 Million in buyout??  Not a bad payday for just a couple of weeks

Especially considering he would have only made like 900k this year

hoglady

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on April 16, 2016, 06:42:12 am
Sure, I get all that. At some point I think people will question whether Beard is a man of his word. I don't care if he does well or not at TTU, I'm a Hog fan.

There is a whole world of sports outside of Arkansas.
I can still root for individuals and teams not associated with Arkansas and remain a Hog fan first and foremost.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: hoglady on April 16, 2016, 07:04:33 am
There is a whole world of sports outside of Arkansas.
I can still root for individuals and teams not associated with Arkansas and remain a Hog fan first and foremost.

Hoglady, I was not questioning you being a Hog fan, and I apologize if it came across that way. I was just a little surprised that this was the second time Beard had done this. Is he taking Chris Ogden to Tech with him?

hoglady

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on April 16, 2016, 07:10:56 am
Hoglady, I was not questioning you being a Hog fan, and I apologize if it came across that way. I was just a little surprised that this was the second time Beard had done this. Is he taking Chris Ogden to Tech with him?

No problem - we're good.
I really haven't read all the details about the hire - I assumed he would take his assistants with him.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hoglady on April 16, 2016, 07:51:52 am
No problem - we're good.
I really haven't read all the details about the hire - I assumed he would take his assistants with him.

Why would they want to stay?
Beard didn't exactly get a red carpet and unquestionable support from the Webels.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hoglady

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 16, 2016, 12:38:55 pm
Beard didn't exactly get a red carpet and unquestionable support from the Webels.

That's for sure.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 16, 2016, 12:38:55 pm

UNLV hires Menzies, he was finalist with Beard. Will this guy get the support Beard did not, or is he the wrong former player to get the job?

Did UNLV get a coach with ties to the school instead of the better coach?

Dr. Starcs

Well they got a coach with no ties to the school and then he bailed.

I don't blame them for this hire.

onebadrubi

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on April 15, 2016, 03:46:48 pm

Well can't ever hold it against a guy that quits a job, goes to his new one which is an obvious stepping up in life, and the new job a week or two in can't get your pay package approved, so you leave.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 17, 2016, 08:45:23 am
Well can't ever hold it against a guy that quits a job, goes to his new one which is an obvious stepping up in life, and the new job a week or two in can't get your pay package approved, so you leave.

True enough, TTU wanted him, who knows what UNLV wants.

hoglady

I'm sure the whole ordeal with the BOR at UNLV was an embarrassing situation for Beard.
They wasted 2 weeks where he couldn't recruit or really do anything - he couldn't even contact the recruit UNLV had verbally committed. During that time decisions were made by existing players and he only had 4 left on the roster.
Then to top if off he had to sit for 2 hours at the BOR meeting regarding his contract before finally voting and approving it 9-4.
If I was Beard I would have jumped ship at the first opportunity - he just had the good fortune it was his dream job.