Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The retention/turnover rate is becoming bothersome.

Started by JIHawg, April 13, 2016, 11:51:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on April 14, 2016, 01:32:46 pm
In theory one could say Sidney, Delph and Brewer were replaced EVENTUALLY by Day, Mayberry and Miller.

I am talking about when player A leaves, who takes his spot the next season, or I will even say the 2nd season after said departure for players leaving for reasons other than graduation.

Look at it this way, Mike has known for 4 years that, barring a redshirt for some reason, Bell was going to use up his eligibility this season. Who takes his place in the starting lineup next year, and what do they produce.  Qualls and Portis left, some would claim, unexpectedly after 2015, so lets allow that no one saw it coming, Mike had a yr and a half to recruit to replace them, who is he bringing in to do that? How do these players end up producing? That is the key since we all agree that players anymore seem to be coming and going at record rates in college basketball.

In terms of scoring, Hannahs is probably going to be our 3 point guy. He doesn't add much D, so let's hope he improves there and that the signees can play D as well. I don't know that Bell was known for his defensive stats, but he did his job.

I personally think that Mike knew Bobby wouldn't stay all four years which is why he brought in Moses as well. As far as the future after him (assuming he stays) we have Gafford and are on a few bigs to sign even this season. This season we bring in two more PFs in Cook and Bailey, and Thomas is eligible. I am also assuming Trey continues to improve.

There is also the rumor that we are on an unnamed wing that can play next season in addition to Macon, Barford (I know he's not a wing player but he is physical) and Jones. Here I am thinking of Qualls as a physical guard who can matchup against forwards.

And I just want to add that while folks may say that oversigning last season would have been the best option, we only know that in hindsight after the replacements' replacements didn't pan out (I don't think Jacorey would have let Auburn push us around for example). If MA had oversigned he would have been pushing Bobby and Mike out the door. You may not agree with the choice but Mike did what he could to keep them here, and I don't think he's the only coach on the planet who would have done it. That was at least logical, and if that had worked out he probably would have cemented his place as the right coach for the job rather than wearing out his welcome with so many of the fans.

But to your last thing I hope that after this last season Mike becomes more aggressive about maintaining talent with so many players coming and going.

SONofHAM

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on April 15, 2016, 08:01:52 am

I personally think that Mike knew Bobby wouldn't stay all four years which is why he brought in Moses as well.

No.  He brought in Moses because he was talented and highly regarded.  He was a 4 star on 24/7. 
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on April 15, 2016, 08:01:52 am
And I just want to add that while folks may say that oversigning last season would have been the best option, we only know that in hindsight after the replacements' replacements didn't pan out (I don't think Jacorey would have let Auburn push us around for example). If MA had oversigned he would have been pushing Bobby and Mike out the door.

Oversigning was not the issue. Bobby and Mike declared one and two days after the spring signing period started. The best option would have been to recruit all fall/winter/spring as if either player could end up going pro, so that the staff could have a good list of players interested in committing to play Razorback basketball should the opportunity arise. It didn't have to be a 4 or 5* stud. It could have easily been a 2*/3* developmental player who might have preferred waiting to see what happened at Arkansas before signing with a program like UT-Chattanooga or Middle Tennessee St. It could have been anyone.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 15, 2016, 08:51:47 am
Oversigning was not the issue. Bobby and Mike declared one and two days after the spring signing period started. The best option would have been to recruit all fall/winter/spring as if either player could end up going pro, so that the staff could have a good list of players interested in committing to play Razorback basketball should the opportunity arise. It didn't have to be a 4 or 5* stud. It could have easily been a 2*/3* developmental player who might have preferred waiting to see what happened at Arkansas before signing with a program like UT-Chattanooga or Middle Tennessee St. It could have been anyone.

You know dang good and well that there aren't any "studs" waiting around to see if room opens up on our roster in the spring. Never has been either.

Not to mention, why waste schollies on "developmental" guys when we have a bumper crop of home grown talent coming starting this next season? That would have been two less schollies to give out to better players we have a legit shot at.

HawgAdvocate

April 16, 2016, 01:02:20 am #54 Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:34:47 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 15, 2016, 11:35:50 pm
You know dang good and well that there aren't any "studs" waiting around to see if room opens up on our roster in the spring. Never has been either.

Not to mention, why waste schollies on "developmental" guys when we have a bumper crop of home grown talent coming starting this next season? That would have been two less schollies to give out to better players we have a legit shot at.

Of course I know dang good and well. Why do you think I went out of my way to include the 2 & 3* players? Months ago many tried to make the point that there weren't any capable replacements available when P & Q 'blindsided' the staff, that could make up for their loss, as if it had to be 4*+ or bust. Once again (4 of 5 years) there were scholarship/development opportunities left on the table, unclaimed, with only a few transfers (Nick King, Kyle Alexander, Dustin Thomas, Kouassi, Ebuka Izundu, etc)  as late-stage possibilities.

Coach A has signed and/or approved the incoming transfer of 20 scholarship players since he's been at Arkansas. These 20 players have combined to have played a total of just 40 seasons at Arkansas. This doesn't include Madden, Young, Abron, or Mickelson. Nor does this include the three incoming JUCOs, Bailey, or Jones either. This is Anthlon Bell all the way through Jimmy Whitt. These are all Coach A's guys, and he's gotten just two years from them, on average.

A whopping 11 of the Coach A's 20 (55%) scholarship players ended up staying no more than two seasons, and these are all players who won't be here next season (aka not including: Hannahs, Thompson, or Beard). You can look to the future all you want. There's nothing wrong with that. But when 55% of your talent can't stick around for more than two seasons, you've clearly had a problem with roster building/management, not to mention chemistry and development. This would make five of six offseasons where at least one scholarship went unclaimed.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

JIHawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 16, 2016, 01:02:20 am
Of course I know dang good and well. Why do you think I went out of my way to include the 2 & 3* players? Months ago many tried to make the point that there weren't any capable replacements available when P & Q 'blindsided' the staff, that could make up for their loss, as if it had to be 4*+ or bust. Once again (4 of 5 years) there were scholarship/development opportunities left on the table, unclaimed, with only a few transfers (Nick King, Kyle Alexander, Dustin Thomas, Kouassi, Ebuka Izundu, etc)  as late-stage possibilities.

Coach A has signed and/or approved the incoming transfer of 20 scholarship players since he's been at Arkansas. These 20 players have combined to have played a total of just 40 seasons at Arkansas. This doesn't include Madden, Young, Abron, or Mickelson. Nor does this include the three incoming JUCOs, Bailey, or Jones either. This is Anthlon Bell all the way through Jimmy Whitt. These are all Coach A's guys, and he's gotten just two years from them, on average.

A whopping 11 of the Coach A's 20 (55%) scholarship players ended up staying no more than two seasons, and these are all players who won't be here next season (aka not including: Hannahs, Thompson, or Beard). You can look to the future all you want. There's nothing wrong with that. But when 55% of your talent can't stick around for more than two seasons, you've clearly had a problem with roster building/management, not to mention chemistry and development. This would make five of six offseasons where at least one scholarship went unclaimed.

Word.

Pork Twain

This kind of turnover ONLY works if you are a team like Kentucky or Duke and lose talent to the NBA and immediately replace them with similar talent.  That is far from the case here.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Kevin

facts don't go well around here
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

nwahogfan1

Quote from: klp1 on April 13, 2016, 12:00:30 pm
In an article about Jalen Hudson's transfer from Va Tech,  I read that they had 10 players leave in the last 2 years. Ohio State had 4/5 of last years class transfer.   Its not a problem specific to UA.

Didn't they have a coaching change? I figured that would be a big reason for many to leave.

nwahogfan1

April 18, 2016, 07:50:28 am #59 Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:01:06 am by nwahogfan1
Quote from: Kevin on April 18, 2016, 07:25:28 am
facts don't go well around here

A whopping 11 of the Coach A's 20 (55%) scholarship players ended up staying no more than two seasons, and these are all players who won't be here next season (aka not including: Hannahs, Thompson, or Beard). You can look to the future all you want. There's nothing wrong with that. But when 55% of your talent can't stick around for more than two seasons, you've clearly had a problem with roster building/management, not to mention chemistry and development. This would make five of six off seasons where at least one scholarship went unclaimed.

Good well thought out and researched post.  Thanks.

IMO if Coach A has to sign kids who are lower rated then he has to sign the right ones.  Those who make good grades, are good kids,  like school, will stay in school, have the bodies with big up side and are hard workers.  It is all about EVALUATION which all the better mid majors do well if they are going to get their teams to the Big Dance.    Our Coaches have to work harder at recruiting, get the right right kids who fit our program.  It is called having a great plan and working it.   

I think our coaches have gotten lazy and have been out worked.

Jimmy Dykes is trying to build his ladies program the same way.  He is working to find the right pieces to his team.  Lets see who can build a program and maintain it the best.

JayBell

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 16, 2016, 01:02:20 amA whopping 11 of the Coach A's 20 (55%) scholarship players ended up staying no more than two seasons, and these are all players who won't be here next season (aka not including: Hannahs, Thompson, or Beard). You can look to the future all you want. There's nothing wrong with that. But when 55% of your talent can't stick around for more than two seasons, you've clearly had a problem with roster building/management, not to mention chemistry and development. This would make five of six offseasons where at least one scholarship went unclaimed.

Damn.  I knew it was bad, but I had no idea it was this bad.  Still, you already knew the program was in trouble when everybody was waiting for a bunch of JUCO transfers to come in and save Anderson's job.

Pork Twain

Quote from: JayBell on April 18, 2016, 08:55:26 am
Damn.  I knew it was bad, but I had no idea it was this bad.  Still, you already knew the program was in trouble when everybody was waiting for a bunch of JUCO transfers to come in and save Anderson's job.
With the miss-rate that Anderson has so far in his career and his inability to sustain success, some are putting a lot of faith in this one class having no misses and for everything else to go as planned.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 18, 2016, 07:50:28 am
Good well thought out and researched post.  Thanks.

IMO if Coach A has to sign kids who are lower rated then he has to sign the right ones.  Those who make good grades, are good kids,  like school, will stay in school, have the bodies with big up side and are hard workers.  It is all about EVALUATION which all the better mid majors do well if they are going to get their teams to the Big Dance.    Our Coaches have to work harder at recruiting, get the right right kids who fit our program.  It is called having a great plan and working it.   

I think our coaches have gotten lazy and have been out worked.

Jimmy Dykes is trying to build his ladies program the same way.  He is working to find the right pieces to his team.  Lets see who can build a program and maintain it the best.

Difference for Dykes is the strength and depth of SEC w basketball.  Like most other sports outside of men's basketball, SEC w bask is deep with good to great teams/programs.  What would our men's program look like right now if the SEC could put 9-10 teams in the men's tournament? 

Their m.o. has not changed since they got together as a staff.  This goes back to when Mike was the top assistant.  When AAU influence grew and JC/academic restrictions were raised at the UA, the recruiting was more of a struggle for Nolan and staff.  UAB and Mizzou in the Big 12 had different dynamics plus the timing of connections as to when certain players were coming into college.  The planning as far as roster management and some player dissension signs had been there before we hired him.  Lazy is a strong word.  But taking low hanging fruit, players with connections or recruits whose best option is Arkansas is a norm.  And it would be fine if these usually limited role players or projects were fits for what we want to do and there was a difference maker to lead them.  For this staff, the difference maker will have to be a homegrown Hog(Portis).  If they can get that again and the players around them are capable at playing on both ends in this system, then they may end up building something.  Just doesn't seem like a sound plan to count on happening with consistency.  Probably why they earned the rollercoaster description for their program before coming to Arkansas. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

nwahogfan1

thanks Atlhog.

So it sounds like building a lady's program will be harder than the men's because of the depth of the SEC in lady's bb.  I think you are right.

When it comes to Mike's recruiting you made some very good points.  Mike has a way of doing things and it doesn't always work because he is not signing enough Arkansas home grown Studs.  Plus he is not keeping the other players who need more coaching and grooming  long enough to sustain his program. So I say Mike needs to change or at least tweet what he is doing.  I say the best way to do that is to bring in new blood.    Hire a proven recruiter who can teach your staff a new trick or two.  Hiring Scotty and then training him with a old system that is not working very well and not getting you the studs consistently to maintain your program is not the answer.

Redbug

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 18, 2016, 11:08:29 am
Difference for Dykes is the strength and depth of SEC w basketball.  Like most other sports outside of men's basketball, SEC w bask is deep with good to great teams/programs.  What would our men's program look like right now if the SEC could put 9-10 teams in the men's tournament? 

Their m.o. has not changed since they got together as a staff.  This goes back to when Mike was the top assistant.  When AAU influence grew and JC/academic restrictions were raised at the UA, the recruiting was more of a struggle for Nolan and staff.  UAB and Mizzou in the Big 12 had different dynamics plus the timing of connections as to when certain players were coming into college.  The planning as far as roster management and some player dissension signs had been there before we hired him.  Lazy is a strong word.  But taking low hanging fruit, players with connections or recruits whose best option is Arkansas is a norm.  And it would be fine if these usually limited role players or projects were fits for what we want to do and there was a difference maker to lead them.  For this staff, the difference maker will have to be a homegrown Hog(Portis).  If they can get that again and the players around them are capable at playing on both ends in this system, then they may end up building something.  Just doesn't seem like a sound plan to count on happening with consistency.  Probably why they earned the rollercoaster description for their program before coming to Arkansas. 

Beautifully stated....