Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC refs would have called 50 fouls by now.

Started by JIHawg, April 04, 2016, 09:56:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Letting them play results in entertaining basketball.

Dr. Starcs

No, making shots results in entertaining basketball.

Wild Bill Hog

maxhog5

Ah, the mythical and non-existent SEC officials.

HamIAm

Where does this idea come from that good officiating just lets the play continue regardless of what happens on the court.  I don't know how many times NC was in position for a shot and as they went up the shooter got pushed beyond the backboard and no foul was called. If I had been Roy Williams I would have been kicked out of that game.  I'll give Villanova credit they had some great  clutch shots, but they got away with a whole lot more on defense than they should have.

hogwood

Yeah I think this F4 has been impeccably officiated. Great job.

DeltaBoy

50 Nope they would have called over 100 and extended the game by 45 minutes to an hour.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Seeing skilled players and quality coaching makes for entertaining basketball, too...  SEC refs would wet their pants and not be able to handle these two teams.

azhog10

I know the SEC doesn't have their "refs" as far as SEC only. That said, I saw a lot of bumping outside the perimeter that was called ad nausium all season in the SEC games I watched. I thought the refs did a good job of not blowing the whistle on things that didn't mean too much. I did think Villanova got a couple calls, but I also believe UNC got a few breaks down the stretch. A couple charge/block calls, and then the tipped pass that was never reviewed late in the game.

It was a fun game to watch, and loved the final play call that won the game for Villanova. I thought Jay Wright took a bad timeout, and probably should have fouled being up three, instead he played it out and it didn't end up mattering too much.

phadedhawg

Great game, could've went either way, and the officials let the players decide the outcome.  Wish they were all that way

DeltaBoy

Quote from: phadedhawg on April 05, 2016, 10:13:32 am
Great game, could've went either way, and the officials let the players decide the outcome.  Wish they were all that way

Amen it was the best since NC State beat Houston.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Has it crossed anyone's mind that maybe sec players just foul ALOT. SEC teams got called for alot of fouls in ooc games as well this year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dr. Starcs

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HamIAm on April 04, 2016, 10:37:32 pm
Where does this idea come from that good officiating just lets the play continue regardless of what happens on the court.  I don't know how many times NC was in position for a shot and as they went up the shooter got pushed beyond the backboard and no foul was called. If I had been Roy Williams I would have been kicked out of that game.  I'll give Villanova credit they had some great  clutch shots, but they got away with a whole lot more on defense than they should have.

I agree.  Lots of pushing and shoving the shooter in the paint.  I guess the Refs were told to swallow their whistle last night.   We were told the NCAA was going to clean up the game this year trying to get rid of so much of the physical contact.  Early the Refs called it way too tight in some games turning it into a Free Throw shooting contest.  But in the Tournament it kept getting more and more physical each round it went.   So if you were tall and thin you better watch yourself inside or you would find yourself pushed underneath the rim never making a shot or get a rebound.   It was a great game last night but way too physical and called way different than early in the year and where I heard the NCAA was going with calling the game.

hogsanity

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 05, 2016, 12:23:20 pm
  It was a great game last night but way too physical and called way different than early in the year and where I heard the NCAA was going with calling the game.

All people did early on was cry about how tight the game was called. I don't think people realized how reliant on handsy defense and brute force the game had become. When they started trying to clean it up, people did not like all the ft's that resulted. Just like they talk about wanting to see travelling called, they sure would not want that called by the book. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Nosboar Accubond

A lot of that has to do with the talent on the floor....