Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Houston Nutt lost his nerve, and now will lose his job.. Replacements...

Started by fu-man-soo, October 25, 2007, 04:33:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fu-man-soo

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatBlog.htm

With Nutt all but gone at Arkansas, let's turn to his potential replacements.

1.  Butch Davis – 5-1 – Davis has to be the favorite until someone else is introduced as the Arkansas head coach.

2.  Paul Johnson – 15-1 – The Navy coach would fit in well in Fayetteville, and he would win a lot of ballgames and conference championships.

3.  Jim Leavitt – 20-1 – Would Leavitt rather coach in the SEC than the Big East?  That's a stupid question, and Leavitt would have to listen to the Hogs.

4.  Art Briles – 30-1 – The Houston coach has turned the Cougars into a winner, and he would be a formidable force at Arkansas.

5.  Bo Pelini – 40-1 – The LSU defensive coordinator is going to have many jobs to choose from in the off-season.  Is it Texas A&M, Nebraska, or Arkansas Bo?

6.  Brent Venables – 40-1 – The Oklahoma defensive coordinator is ready for a big time gig, and not having to coach against the Sooners in the Big 12 is a plus.

7.  Dave Christensen – 40-1 – The Missouri offensive coordinator has one of the most potent offenses in the game, which would be a welcome change in Fayetteville.

8.  Charlie Strong – 40-1 – The Florida defensive coordinator is going to get a head coaching job soon, and he knows what it is like to win a National Championship.

9.  Tyrone Nix – 40-1 – Tyrone has one of the best defensives in the country at South Carolina, and we all know what another Spurrier defensive coordinator did at Oklahoma.

10.  Terry Bowden – 50-1 – Could the Arkansas fans and Terry Bowden get along?  If Terry won football games they could.

11.  Will Muschamp – 75-1 – Muschamp has risen fast through the coaching ranks, with stints working for Saban and Tuberville.  Only 37 years old, Muschamp would be a bold choice for the Hogs, and the way this guy acts on the sidelines you can be assured it wouldn't be boring.

12.  Gus Malzahn – 100-1 – What sweet revenge that would be for Gus, taking over for the man that sent him packing.  One thing is for, he would liven things up in Arkansas.  Could Mustain transfer back to Arkansas?

netteltonhog

N HOG

Quote from: fu-man-soo on October 25, 2007, 04:33:48 pm

With Nutt all but gone at Arkansas, let’s turn to his potential replacements.

1.  Butch Davis – 5-1 – Davis has to be the favorite until someone else is introduced as the Arkansas head coach.

2.  Paul Johnson – 15-1 – The Navy coach would fit in well in Fayetteville, and he would win a lot of ballgames and conference championships.

3.  Jim Leavitt – 20-1 – Would Leavitt rather coach in the SEC than the Big East?  That’s a stupid question, and Leavitt would have to listen to the Hogs.

4.  Art Briles – 30-1 – The Houston coach has turned the Cougars into a winner, and he would be a formidable force at Arkansas.

5.  Bo Pelini – 40-1 – The LSU defensive coordinator is going to have many jobs to choose from in the off-season.  Is it Texas A&M, Nebraska, or Arkansas Bo?

6.  Brent Venables – 40-1 – The Oklahoma defensive coordinator is ready for a big time gig, and not having to coach against the Sooners in the Big 12 is a plus.

7.  Dave Christensen – 40-1 – The Missouri offensive coordinator has one of the most potent offenses in the game, which would be a welcome change in Fayetteville.

8.  Charlie Strong – 40-1 – The Florida defensive coordinator is going to get a head coaching job soon, and he knows what it is like to win a National Championship.

9.  Tyrone Nix – 40-1 – Tyrone has one of the best defensives in the country at South Carolina, and we all know what another Spurrier defensive coordinator did at Oklahoma.

10.  Terry Bowden – 50-1 – Could the Arkansas fans and Terry Bowden get along?  If Terry won football games they could.

11.  Will Muschamp – 75-1 – Muschamp has risen fast through the coaching ranks, with stints working for Saban and Tuberville.  Only 37 years old, Muschamp would be a bold choice for the Hogs, and the way this guy acts on the sidelines you can be assured it wouldn’t be boring.

12.  Gus Malzahn – 100-1 – What sweet revenge that would be for Gus, taking over for the man that sent him packing.  One thing is for, he would liven things up in Arkansas.  Could Mustain transfer back to Arkansas?

I watched the Navy-Pitt game a couple of weeks ago and was tremendously impressed with the way Navy played and with the demeanor of Johnson.

I would like to know more about him, but I think he might be a real possibility.

rljjr

i just love the synergy of the national guys talking about this. You can't stop a Hurricane from hitting the shore.

count of bacon

Hey Fu-man

Thats a great question.  With Mustain sitting out one yr at SC would he be able to come back and play at U of A, with a new coach starting fall of '08?????????????

hawgsav1

Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Darren DeLoach

if it is a big name, established sort:

my wish list(emphasis on wish)

1. j.gruden
2. b. davis
3. tedford

if it is a coordinator type, i have only one pick and it would be great:

c.strong---h.c./ co-d.c.
g.malzahn----o.c.
t. rocker-----co.d.c/d-line
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Erockster20

Doesn't Paul Johnson run the triple option? Why would we want a triple option?

NWAFellows

" Just imagine Houston, if you had only had the courage to leave Mustain in that game last season, and let Malzahn call the plays, you would be coaching one of the hottest teams in the game of college football, but now your lack nerve is going to put you on the unemployment line."

That hurts on so many levels ...

DooDahman

Quote from: opineonswine on October 25, 2007, 05:02:20 pm
"Houston Nutt lost his nerve, and now will lose his job.. Replacements...

Usually when something goes terribly wrong the origin of the debacle can be traced back to somewhere.  Where it went wrong for Houston Nutt was in last season's 2006 Arkansas-South Carolina game when he lost his nerve, and that loss of courage will eventually cost him his job.  Arkansas traveled to Columbia, South Carolina last season with a record of 7-1 to play Spurrier's Gamecocks, and the Hogs only loss was on the opening weekend when they took a drubbing against Southern Cal.  By the South Carolina game the freshman QB, Mitch Mustain had won the starting job and although there were whispers that Gus Malzahn (then Arkansas offensive coordinator) and Nutt brothers were not getting along, things seemed to be going well for Arkansas when the game kicked-off.  Mustain started the game, but after a quick interception on the first possession he was pulled for Casey Dick, and at that moment Nutt began the process that will end with his firing later this year.  Nutt told the press that night, "This is a very critical time in November and we needed a little more experience," Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said.  "I had to go with Casey and he did a good job."  Nutt lost his nerve and courage that night and that in turn led to the Mustain transferring, Malzahn leaving, and the disaster that is now Arkansas football.  Since that win over South Carolina in '06, Houston Nutt is 6-6 and 3 of those wins were over Troy, North Texas and Chattanooga.  The South Carolina game last season revealed Nutt's fatal flaw, that being he is unable to share credit for success, and he felt threatened with what Mustain and Malzahn were doing together to advance Arkansas football.  Nutt was determined to wrestle back control of the football team, and the insertion of Casey Dick last season was his way of saying, "I deserve credit for these wins, not a freshman QB and his high school coach."  Just imagine Houston, if you had only had the courage to leave Mustain in that game last season, and let Malzahn call the plays, you would be coaching one of the hottest teams in the game of college football, but now your lack nerve is going to put you on the unemployment line.  That should be a great lesson for all coaches that believe that who gets the credit is more important than winning football games.  As Harry S. Truman said, "It is amazing what you can accomplish, if you do not care who gets the credit."  Houston Nutt, it's your own vanity that will be your undoing, not what other people have or have not been doing around you. "

Great read, love the Truman quote!! :razorback:

hodgehog

WMHawgfan

Quote from: Erockster20 on October 25, 2007, 05:50:27 pm
Doesn't Paul Johnson run the triple option? Why would we want a triple option?

Took my question. I saw the Pitt game too. I don't know much about Paul, can somebody tell me why we should get excited over a coach that runs essentially a wishbone offense, no track record of recruiting and from what I saw no defense. I can be swayed if I hear a good reason, something other than he is not Nutt.

Porkem

"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

CheeZ_PuFF

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Honey on October 25, 2007, 09:14:42 pm
Man, I love that website.
I like the part about Jeff Long being on the hotseat. We will see if he is needed to pull the trigger or if it gets pulled before he arrives, or Heaven forbid it doesn't get pulled at all. Can you imagine the meltdown if HDN doesn't coach elsewhere next year. I would not want to be the AD who has to deal with all this. God Bless him.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Donny2665

Usually when something goes terribly wrong the origin of the debacle can be traced back to somewhere.  Where it went wrong for Houston Nutt was in last season’s 2006 Arkansas-South Carolina game when he lost his nerve, and that loss of courage will eventually cost him his job.  Arkansas traveled to Columbia, South Carolina last season with a record of 7-1 to play Spurrier’s Gamecocks, and the Hogs only loss was on the opening weekend when they took a drubbing against Southern Cal.  By the South Carolina game the freshman QB, Mitch Mustain had won the starting job and although there were whispers that Gus Malzahn (then Arkansas offensive coordinator) and Nutt brothers were not getting along, things seemed to be going well for Arkansas when the game kicked-off.  Mustain started the game, but after a quick interception on the first possession he was pulled for Casey Dick, and at that moment Nutt began the process that will end with his firing later this year.  Nutt told the press that night, “This is a very critical time in November and we needed a little more experience,” Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said.  “I had to go with Casey and he did a good job.”  Nutt lost his nerve and courage that night and that in turn led to the Mustain transferring, Malzahn leaving, and the disaster that is now Arkansas football.  Since that win over South Carolina in ’06, Houston Nutt is 6-6 and 3 of those wins were over Troy, North Texas and Chattanooga.  The South Carolina game last season revealed Nutt’s fatal flaw, that being he is unable to share credit for success, and he felt threatened with what Mustain and Malzahn were doing together to advance Arkansas football.  Nutt was determined to wrestle back control of the football team, and the insertion of Casey Dick last season was his way of saying, “I deserve credit for these wins, not a freshman QB and his high school coach.”  Just imagine Houston, if you had only had the courage to leave Mustain in that game last season, and let Malzahn call the plays, you would be coaching one of the hottest teams in the game of college football, but now your lack nerve is going to put you on the unemployment line.  That should be a great lesson for all coaches that believe that who gets the credit is more important than winning football games.  As Harry S. Truman said, “It is amazing what you can accomplish, if you do not care who gets the credit.”  Houston Nutt, it’s your own vanity that will be your undoing, not what other people have or have not been doing around you. "

Good Post
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

IronHog

Quote from: opineonswine on October 25, 2007, 05:08:53 pm
Quote from: donewithdale on October 25, 2007, 05:05:11 pm

Usually when something goes terribly wrong the origin of the debacle can be traced back to somewhere.  Where it went wrong for Houston Nutt was in last season?s 2006 Arkansas-South Carolina game when he lost his nerve, and that loss of courage will eventually cost him his job.  Arkansas traveled to Columbia, South Carolina last season with a record of 7-1 to play Spurrier?s Gamecocks, and the Hogs only loss was on the opening weekend when they took a drubbing against Southern Cal.  By the South Carolina game the freshman QB, Mitch Mustain had won the starting job and although there were whispers that Gus Malzahn (then Arkansas offensive coordinator) and Nutt brothers were not getting along, things seemed to be going well for Arkansas when the game kicked-off.  Mustain started the game, but after a quick interception on the first possession he was pulled for Casey Dick, and at that moment Nutt began the process that will end with his firing later this year.  Nutt told the press that night, ?This is a very critical time in November and we needed a little more experience,? Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said.  ?I had to go with Casey and he did a good job.?  Nutt lost his nerve and courage that night and that in turn led to the Mustain transferring, Malzahn leaving, and the disaster that is now Arkansas football.  Since that win over South Carolina in ?06, Houston Nutt is 6-6 and 3 of those wins were over Troy, North Texas and Chattanooga.  The South Carolina game last season revealed Nutt?s fatal flaw, that being he is unable to share credit for success, and he felt threatened with what Mustain and Malzahn were doing together to advance Arkansas football.  Nutt was determined to wrestle back control of the football team, and the insertion of Casey Dick last season was his way of saying, ?I deserve credit for these wins, not a freshman QB and his high school coach.?  Just imagine Houston, if you had only had the courage to leave Mustain in that game last season, and let Malzahn call the plays, you would be coaching one of the hottest teams in the game of college football, but now your lack nerve is going to put you on the unemployment line.  That should be a great lesson for all coaches that believe that who gets the credit is more important than winning football games.  As Harry S. Truman said, ?It is amazing what you can accomplish, if you do not care who gets the credit.?  Houston Nutt, it?s your own vanity that will be your undoing, not what other people have or have not been doing around you. "

Did you write that for them?

No, but someone with the facts and cognitive skills certainly did...

That is nicely written.........

This team should be ranked #1 right now.  We have played no one more talented especially if the rightful players were still on the team.

Quote from: opineonswine on October 25, 2007, 05:11:12 pm
Quote from: count of bacon on October 25, 2007, 05:10:16 pm
Hey Fu-man

Thats a great question.  With Mustain sitting out one yr at SC would he be able to come back and play at U of A, with a new coach starting fall of '08?????????????

He would never come back here.

What if I volunteered to quit my job, enroll in UofA and be his bodyguard?  I would not want to be a posse so I'd have to be the crew.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Honey

Quote from: PorcineSublime on October 25, 2007, 09:57:40 pm
Quote from: Honey on October 25, 2007, 09:14:42 pm
Man, I love that website.
I like the part about Jeff Long being on the hotseat. We will see if he is needed to pull the trigger or if it gets pulled before he arrives, or Heaven forbid it doesn't get pulled at all. Can you imagine the meltdown if HDN doesn't coach elsewhere next year. I would not want to be the AD who has to deal with all this. God Bless him.

Jeff Long has walked into a landmine field.  His first act on the job is either going to win him a lot of fans or cause him to be hated instantly.  Hopefully, he will analyze the situation as it is and be above the internal politicking which has gone on for decades too long.  He has to let Nutt go.  And with the latest FOI request by MM, this is an issue that isn't going to die.  The PTB covered crap up and now they are being held accountable for it.  So, he's pretty much on his own.  I hope he will manup and do the right thing.  If he does, then he will show to me that he has integrity and is willing to make the difficult decisions.

The_Iceman

Quote from: fu-man-soo on October 25, 2007, 04:33:48 pm

With Nutt all but gone at Arkansas, let’s turn to his potential replacements.

3.  Jim Leavitt – 20-1 – Would Leavitt rather coach in the SEC than the Big East?  That’s a stupid question, and Leavitt would have to listen to the Hogs.

11.  Will Muschamp – 75-1 – Muschamp has risen fast through the coaching ranks, with stints working for Saban and Tuberville.  Only 37 years old, Muschamp would be a bold choice for the Hogs, and the way this guy acts on the sidelines you can be assured it wouldn’t be boring.

I would take all as head coach except for 2, 7, 9, 10.

hogump

That was a great writeup.  Those guys seem to really have their hand of the pulse of what is really going on on The Hill.  It seems that the Down With Dale Movement is gaining momentum like a snowball rolling down a hill.