Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ball St. says no to Humanitarian Bowl Bid

Started by RazorBassin, December 04, 2008, 03:20:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorBassin

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=jn-ballst120408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Sad for the kids, they should have went and played.  It would have been good for the program win or lose.

fu-man-soo

jason whitlock owes an explanation for this

idiotghos

kgr

So with a perfect season, they are going to stay home?
What have we learned in 2,064 years?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work,  instead of living on public assistance."
                                                               -
Cicero   - 55 BC

So,   evidently nothing.

OnYourToes

I'm not up on my Bowl selection process but, can multiple bowls invite one team?
If one team turns one down, can another offer?

If so maybe Ball St is waiting for a bigger one to offer.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

dsewell70

no they aren't staying home.. they'll go to one of the MAC tie-in bowls. They just didn't want to go play Boise State in a bowl game on Boise State's home field.

dsewell70

if they would have gone to the Humanitarian Bowl, it would have been as a at-large bid instead of going to one of the conference's guaranteed bowls

311Hog

yeah so they will end up playing some crap 6-6 team in the motor city bowl.  That no one on this earth save people actually involved with Ball State will give two shiets about if they win, and if they happen to lose to some .500 team it will prove everything everyone ever said about small conference schools with cream puff schedules going undefeated and demanding inclusion into the BCS.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: kgr on December 04, 2008, 03:30:34 pm
So with a perfect season, they are going to stay home?

No, they'll be playing Notre Dame or NC State in the Motor City Bowl.

kimjongsqUeAl

If I was 12-0 I would think that the Humanitarian Bowl is an insult.  I wouldn't go either.  Screw Boise, ID.
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

GWFan

hogsndawgs

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on December 04, 2008, 03:42:58 pm
If I was 12-0 I would think that the Humanitarian Bowl is an insult.  I wouldn't go either.  Screw Boise, ID.

An insult? It's a much higher bowl than any of the alternatives. They won't get a BCS bowl bc Utah already got the non BCS conference at large bid and they aren't in the top 12 anyway. Also, the more big time bowls like the Cotton, Cap One, ect...already have committments to other conferences. The Humanitarian Bowl was far and away the biggest bowl that could have offered, plus they would have had an opportunity to play against a top ten team that is undefeated. How is that an insult? If they want to play in the Rose Bowl they should join the Big 10

Idahog

Boise St. vs. TCU is a better game anyways.

I think its funny though to hear people proclaim that Ball St. should be a BCS buster but then Ball St. won't play against mid-major program.  It wasn't the bowl, it wasn't the money or the bid, it was the team they were to face in the bowl and their 64-2 record on the Smurf Turf. 
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

kimjongsqUeAl

Quote from: hogsndawgs on December 04, 2008, 03:47:02 pm
An insult? It's a much higher bowl than any of the alternatives. They won't get a BCS bowl bc Utah already got the non BCS conference at large bid and they aren't in the top 12 anyway. Also, the more big time bowls like the Cotton, Cap One, ect...already have committments to other conferences. The Humanitarian Bowl was far and away the biggest bowl that could have offered, plus they would have had an opportunity to play against a top ten team that is undefeated. How is that an insult? If they want to play in the Rose Bowl they should join the Big 10

You got a point.  It just seems like a waste of time to me.  Whats the pay out for that bowl?
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

hogsndawgs

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on December 04, 2008, 03:51:59 pm
You got a point.  It just seems like a waste of time to me.  Whats the pay out for that bowl?

Dunno, probably not much though. Either way, it would have been nice to see who's better, Boise or Ball St. Of course in a playoff...

idiotghos

Quote from: Idahog on December 04, 2008, 03:50:51 pm
I think its funny though to hear people proclaim that Ball St. should be a BCS buster but then Ball St. won't play against mid-major program.

Where has anyone said they should be in the BCS?

Idahog

Quote from: idiotghos on December 04, 2008, 03:54:24 pm
Where has anyone said they should be in the BCS?

There was an article posted here a while back about the conspiracy of ESPN and the BCS, in it a Ball St alum said they shouldn't be left out based on SoS or their conference and that ESPN was keeping them down.
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

donewithdale

Why would they want to play the Boise Frauds in Boise in December?  I don't blame them.  They've earned better than that.  Let Boise figure out a way to play Ball St in a bowl outside of Boise. 

RazorBassin

I guess I can kind of see WHY they wouldn't accept it, but I think it still would have been the best they could hope for.  Had they went up there and beat Boise St., then they could have beat their chest a little bit.

Hog in MO

December 04, 2008, 04:01:38 pm #20 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:04:06 pm by Hog in MO
Quote from: hogsndawgs on December 04, 2008, 03:40:40 pm
No, they'll be playing Notre Dame or NC State in the Motor City Bowl.

What team in their right mind would want to go to Boise, ID in December and play Boise State on their home field in two feet of snow?  I think it'd be much better to whip Notre Dame's butt in Detroit.  I'd love to see that :)

hogsndawgs

Quote from: donewithdale on December 04, 2008, 03:59:53 pm
Why would they want to play the Boise Frauds in Boise in December?  I don't blame them.  They've earned better than that.  Let Boise figure out a way to play Ball St in a bowl outside of Boise. 

They should want to play Boise at Boise because it is the only possible way Ball St. could prove themselves. What good does it do them to play in the Motor City Bowl?

Idahog

Boise St. could care less, it was the bowl organizers and ESPN that wanted the matchup to increase TV ratings for that bowl.

Boise St. players would much rather go to Sunny California and play TCU, just my opinion.

Here is another article on it btw:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/592728.html?pageNum=3&&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Comments_Container

donewithdale

Quote from: jj1121 on December 04, 2008, 04:01:07 pm
I guess I can kind of see WHY they wouldn't accept it, but I think it still would have been the best they could hope for.  Had they went up there and beat Boise St., then they could have beat their chest a little bit.

Can't Boise figure out a way to play Ball St in the GMAC or Motor City or whatever bowl the MAC is tied to now?  No, they want to stay at home and play on their ridiculous blue field. 

mckinneyhog5

and how many people gave Boise State a chance to beat Oklahoma?  It's a raw deal.  Not saying they should get a BCS bowl but something better then playing in Boise.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

RazorBassin

That would be a good game I think.  They need a neutral field game between the two.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: OnYourToes on December 04, 2008, 03:33:43 pm
I'm not up on my Bowl selection process but, can multiple bowls invite one team?
If one team turns one down, can another offer?

If so maybe Ball St is waiting for a bigger one to offer.

Maybe they are waiting for the Cotton Bowl to come calling so they can replace Ole Miss playing Texas Tech? Something they feel they are more deserving of?   Ha, ha, ha, ha! :)
Go Hogs Go!

HOG RED UMP

Exactly.   You don't see Boise St clamoring to play Ball St.......it would have been very easy to clear out a spot for the Broncs in one of the 2 MAC bowls
if they had the cojones to venture east.............
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

Idahog

Quote from: HOG RED UMP on December 04, 2008, 04:11:41 pm
Exactly.   You don't see Boise St clamoring to play Ball St.......it would have been very easy to clear out a spot for the Broncs in one of the 2 MAC bowls
if they had the cojones to venture east.............

They are more then likely going to play a tougher and higher ranked TCU team in San Diego.  Not sure what cajones have to do with it

idochog

Pretty soon the Jerry Bowl gonna be hosting like 4 or 5 bowls
I love Jesus!

donewithdale

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 04, 2008, 04:04:56 pm
and how many people gave Boise State a chance to beat Oklahoma?  It's a raw deal.  Not saying they should get a BCS bowl but something better then playing in Boise.

I gave them little chance.  And if they played OU this season, I would give them no chance.  And if they played OU the next 10 seasons, I would give very little chance to win more than 1 game.  Upsets happen.  They UPSET OU.  Doesn't legitimize their program as some kind of national power.  The way people hype them you would think they are some rising power like Florida St or Miami of the early 80's.

PorkSoda

They were scared of boise st.  They have an undefeated record to maintain.  wouldn't want to ruin that by playing a better team.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

GWFan

Aren't they holding out hopes for a better bowl?

311Hog

now they get to play a notre dame or worse yet some other 6-6 team in a game no one will watch, it what could be the most nationally meaningless undefeated season in history.

idiotghos

Quote from: Idahog on December 04, 2008, 03:59:28 pm
There was an article posted here a while back about the conspiracy of ESPN and the BCS, in it a Ball St alum said they shouldn't be left out based on SoS or their conference and that ESPN was keeping them down.

You're referring to Jason Whitlock's article The story ESPN doesn't want you to know, in which Whitlock states

QuoteI'm not someone who believes Ball State belongs in a BCS bowl game. Any team — not just a mid-major — needs a top-25 victory on its resume before you even begin the BCS argument.
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8853534/The-story-ESPN-doesn%27t-want-you-to-know

So I still have yet to see any evidence of people clamoring for them to get a BCS game.

donewithdale

Quote from: idiotghos on December 04, 2008, 04:46:39 pm
You're referring to Jason Whitlock's article The story ESPN doesn't want you to know, in which Whitlock states
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8853534/The-story-ESPN-doesn%27t-want-you-to-know

So I still have yet to see any evidence of people clamoring for them to get a BCS game.

That is one of the best columns I've read.  Its time ESPN is challenged.  I've had that same opinion of ESPN for several years now and its getting worse.

Whitlock's comments on the Heisman is so accurate.  ESPN has decided it must be a qb on a top ranked team.  They've destroyed any credibility the Heisman once had. 

code red

put up or shut up!!!!!!  This would have been a great chance for Ball State. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogsndawgs

Quote from: GWFan on December 04, 2008, 04:35:16 pm
Aren't they holding out hopes for a better bowl?

It is the best available bowl. The best bowl that their conference has ties to is the Motor City Bowl.

3kgthog

You mean they didn't want to go snowmobiling during their Christmas break? I can't imagine why.

Boise, ID doesn't need a bowl. Period. How they got one in the first place is beyond me. The only positive is the fact that they'll eventually have so many bowls that every team in D1 will go to a bowl regardless of record. That means a bowl game in Little Rock or Fayetteville. Yay!

Idahog

Quote from: idiotghos on December 04, 2008, 04:46:39 pm

If its that big of a deal to you here are some quick google results

Top 10 reasons for Ball State in BCS:

http://www.theworldofisaac.com/2008/11/top-10-reasons-why-ball-state-deserves.html

How Ball State will make a BCS game:

http://media.www.bsudailynews.com/media/storage/paper849/news/2008/11/08/Sports/Football.Espn.Analyst.Says.Ball.State.Is.Bcs.Bowl.Sleeper.Team-3533873.shtml

So anyhow, I hope that makes you feel better to read someone else saying this or how Ball State could end up in a game.  Silly really.  I care not one way or the other, them refusing is no sweat off my back.

kingofdequeen

wow...i agree with you.  *needs a drink*

F boise, ID in Dec.  Ball st. deserves better than an away game to a sh!tstein town like Boise in December.

socalhogcaller

Quote from: jj1121 on December 04, 2008, 03:20:10 pm
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=jn-ballst120408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Sad for the kids, they should have went and played.  It would have been good for the program win or lose.

No, it would not be good for the program to play another mid-major on the road?  It would be much better for the team and the fans to go to another bowl and play a 6-6 or 7-5 big boy that is having an off year.  Who would you rather us play if we were in a bowl...Notre Dame, or Boise?

kcabrozaR

Now if Texas would refuse theirs, I could get interested in that.
WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

hogfanshan

As a reward for your 12-0 season, you can come and play us in and undefeated match-up to see who is the best team. By the way, it will be in the middle of winter on our home field and your fans will need to travel 1900 miles to see the game.

Oh yeah, rather than a standard green field, our field is BLUE! When we where our blue uniforms, it seems as if we "pop out of thin air" to catch touchdown passes...generally giving us a rather substantial advantage against our opponents.

Hmmm. Wonder why Ball State turned it down?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Idahog on December 04, 2008, 04:16:21 pm
They are more then likely going to play a tougher and higher ranked TCU team in San Diego.  Not sure what cajones have to do with it

You freeze them off playing in Boise in December.

DeltaBoy

Like I said earlier playing BS on there home field is stupid.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PowderedToastMan

I don't blame Ball St for turning it down.  Why would you want to play Boise on their home turf?  They need to meet in a neutral site bowl.  I had heard that the Independence Bowl was a possibility for the two schools to meet up.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

HawgnCorona

Thats my thought as well...thats just a croc o' chit. They should also consider getting rid of the blue turf, it just ain't happening.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

RazorBassin

BS losing to Buffalo 28-17 about to go into the 4th Q.  BS ball.

songofthesword

and why isn't anyone trying to get turner gill?