Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

# 2 in only 4 years?

Started by plumbhog, January 13, 2018, 04:23:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

goodguytex

Just take it one day at a time. Support the program and wait and see. I hope Morris can get it done.

Al Boarland

Quote from: rtr on January 14, 2018, 03:14:16 pm
Auburn can be taken.
They would have to whiff on a couple QB's for that to happen. Too much talent. That really the only thing holding LSU back.

Piglet

I listened to the interview with Danny Sheridan.  He might be wrong, but it sure got me fired up!  Sheridan thinks it will all come together under Morris.  His system, Texas recruiting ties, and winning background will make it happen.  Arkansas made the best hire of the year.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

kaiserhog

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 14, 2018, 03:43:40 pm
They would have to whiff on a couple QB's for that to happen. Too much talent. That really the only thing holding LSU back.
they are good they are far from a great team.  They can be had.

Al Boarland

Quote from: kaiserhog on January 14, 2018, 05:28:11 pm
they are good they are far from a great team.  They can be had.

Sure they can, but they have recruited in the top 10 since before Gus was there. He has built that program up. We have a lot of work to do, so while they might be able to be unseated it's an uphill battle to shake up the top tier of the SEC. Just winning a game against them won't do it.

kaiserhog

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 14, 2018, 05:36:32 pm
Sure they can, but they have recruited in the top 10 since before Gus was there. He has built that program up. We have a lot of work to do, so while they might be able to be unseated it's an uphill battle to shake up the top tier of the SEC. Just winning a game against them won't do it.
Arkansas is practically even with Auburn in the series the last 20 years.  They recruited as we'll before Gus arrived.  I am not scare.

Al Boarland

Quote from: kaiserhog on January 14, 2018, 05:41:45 pm
Arkansas is practically even with Auburn in the series the last 20 years.  They recruited as we'll before Gus arrived.  I am not scare.

Fear doesn't have anything to do with it. Neither does a 20 year series record. It's level a quality depth or lack there of.

rljjr

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 14, 2018, 05:19:56 am
Are we still living in the fantasy world that we are ever going to compete with the powers in the SEC on roster depth of talent or are we just talking about this Arkansas roster compared to past Arkansas rosters?  I am a realist and just talking about our current roster and depth of talent compared to past rosters but if you prefer to compare it to Bama and LSU, have at it.

Why is it a fantasy world? Why? Why can't the Hogs build good depth with the right coaching and recruiting? Do you think LSU was relevant before Saban? No. They were up and down and in many cases downright awful. Tennessee is a proud program that has been as lost as the tribes Moses led across the desert and they're still wandering. Florida wasn't a power until some guy named Spurrier built on Charlie Pell and Galen Hall's work. Coaching matters. Stars change.

It may be harder, but it's not fantasy.

870hogfan

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 14, 2018, 05:54:13 pm
Fear doesn't have anything to do with it. Neither does a 20 year series record. It's level a quality depth or lack there of.

You're secretly a Auburn fan aren't you?

rtr

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 14, 2018, 05:54:13 pm
I guess we should just forfeit.  When there is no hope, there is no hope.  When you are beat, you are beat.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Al Boarland

Quote from: rtr on January 14, 2018, 07:07:54 pm
I guess we should just forfeit.  When there is no hope, there is no hope.  When you are beat, you are beat.

Not at all. I just think it's prudent to approach a coaching change understanding the challenges. It helps with setting expectations. I understand most fans aren't that way. I'm an outlier. I get it.

Mjs84

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 14, 2018, 02:47:23 pm
Loaded is not a word anyone would use to describe this roster objectively speaking.

Read the first sentence of my post and find a hobby until spring.

rtr

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 14, 2018, 07:21:26 pm
Not at all. I just think it's prudent to approach a coaching change understanding the challenges. It helps with setting expectations. I understand most fans aren't that way. I'm an outlier. I get it.
I do agree with you that the recruiting has not lived up to the Bielema/Long hype. I also think it is dangerous to do internet recruiting.  A coach has to have eyes and ears out there to evaluate the talent and then make the decisions himself.  This is especially important at Arkansas.  My feeling is that we don't know how much ability is on the roster, we are about to find out.  Bowl eligibility is my prediction for next season (maybe with an upset along the way).  Nothing more.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 14, 2018, 02:47:23 pm
Loaded is not a word anyone would use to describe this roster objectively speaking.
They would when comparing it to past rosters, which is what we are doing.  They likely would not when comparing it to the top teams in the nation.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

code red

I quit reading after I saw Sheridan.  Youd be better off listen in to Mike from Stuttgart.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Mjs84

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 15, 2018, 01:04:00 am
They would when comparing it to past rosters, which is what we are doing.  They likely would not when comparing it to the top teams in the nation.

Exactly.  Boarland fails to understand how poorly this team failed to perform last year.  This is not a 4 win team.  They played TCU and A&M well early in the season, before the brakes came off.  Then the AD was fired,  and all hell continued breaking loose.

EastexHawg

The consensus on the board seems to be that there is quite a bit of talent on the roster but that Bielema and his staff squandered it.  But...we all know how this works.

If Morris doesn't win within three years the story will change, and the program he inherited, including the roster, will have been a dumpster fire.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 15, 2018, 11:10:07 am
The consensus on the board seems to be that there is quite a bit of talent on the roster but that Bielema and his staff squandered it.  But...we all know how this works.

If Morris doesn't win within three years the story will change, and the program he inherited, including the roster, will have been a dumpster fire.

No.  Not a consensus.  There are a number of promising skill players many of whom have proven little.  QB position at least has some options.  A few olinemen who at least have experience and hopefully a new scheme which often relies on angles will help them.  Good TE prospects which should help immediately.  Defensively, we have some okay starters.  A first year schedule about as favorable as we get right now.  Morris isn't starting completely over.  Winning at Arkansas in any timeframe isn't guaranteed.  The lack of high school olinemen signed could catch up very soon. 

Bielema and staff squandered some.  This last season was one where they were also beat to darn. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

moley_russells_wart_hog

im giving him 4 years to go 4-4

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 14, 2018, 03:43:40 pm
Lol, bruh. They have Coach Yaw Yaw and a 73 year old geezer @ OC; one that hasnt been an OC for decades. THEY ARE SO screwed, they have many more problems than QB. Ironically, they finally have a good one in Myles Brennan but dont have a good coaching staff now. It's comedy.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Al Boarland

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 15, 2018, 11:01:47 am
Exactly.  Boarland fails to understand how poorly this team failed to perform last year.  This is not a 4 win team.  They played TCU and A&M well early in the season, before the brakes came off.  Then the AD was fired,  and all hell continued breaking loose.
Boarland never fails to understand.  I may not agree, but I don't ever have any issues understanding a position.  I never said it was a 4 win team.  It's not an 8 win team either, IMO.

Tejano Jawg

IF Morris really does figure things out, and starts having success, I think it'll be sooner than 4 or 5 years.

But what do I know?...I thought John L Smith was going to take us to a New Years Day bowl. (Okay, that last part really isn't true.) But I think the most we can get from articles like this is a 'positive' outlook. Because it would certainly be easy enough to predict the other way.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

rtr

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 15, 2018, 11:42:40 am
IF Morris really does figure things out, and starts having success, I think it'll be sooner than 4 or 5 years.

But what do I know?...I thought John L Smith was going to take us to a New Years Day bowl. (Okay, that last part really isn't true.) But I think the most we can get from articles like this is a 'positive' outlook. Because it would certainly be easy enough to predict the other way.
It usually happens sooner rather than later, if it going to happen at all.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 15, 2018, 11:23:22 am
No.  Not a consensus.  There are a number of promising skill players many of whom have proven little.  QB position at least has some options.  A few olinemen who at least have experience and hopefully a new scheme which often relies on angles will help them.  Good TE prospects which should help immediately.  Defensively, we have some okay starters.  A first year schedule about as favorable as we get right now.  Morris isn't starting completely over.  Winning at Arkansas in any timeframe isn't guaranteed.  The lack of high school olinemen signed could catch up very soon. 

Bielema and staff squandered some.  This last season was one where they were also beat to darn. 

Okay, the majority opinion seems to be that this is a talented squad.  If Morris doesn't win within 2-3 years the majority opinion will be that he is doing a good job but that inherited a dumpster fire.  Then, if he is eventually let go the majority opinion will be that he was a terrible coach.  That's just the way it works.

Somehow no matter how many previous opinions and predictions have been proven erroneous, the most recent majority opinion will be gospel.

code red

Quote from: 247Hog on January 14, 2018, 10:40:27 am
I'll go ahead and give play calling to Petrino over Morris. I'd give Morris the edge regarding defense and depth.

At the end of the day, if your defense can't get you the ball back, it doesn't matter how well you can call plays.
Has Morris called a play in the SEC yet?  I'd say Petrino by a landslide.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

code red

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 14, 2018, 12:26:02 pm
Some of you guys are not going to understand, but this team is loaded on both sides of the ball.  The o-line is a glaring weakness that will need strong leadership to turn itself around, and we have issues with depth on certain areas, but people will see very quickly,  we are much much better than Brets last season.  This will make itself evident year 1 with CCM.  A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE ARE IN FOR A SUPRISE!  I'M TALKING 7 WINS MINIMUM.  POSSIBLY MORE, DEPENDING ON THE REST OF THE LEAUGUE.
Smiley could win 7 next year with the schedule we draw so....that's rather unimpressive.

code red

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on January 14, 2018, 07:00:06 pm
#2 in what, the State of Arkansas?

I think we've got talent but exceedingly unsuited talent for rinky-dink spread stuff.  For a while, I think it will be like Nolan trying to win with Sutton's players.
A voice of reason......falls on deaf ears.  Good post bro. Spot on.

Grizzlyfan

Some of you guys are not going to understand, but this team is loaded on both sides of the ball.  The o-line is a glaring weakness that will need strong leadership to turn itself around, and we have issues with depth on certain areas, but people will see very quickly,  we are much much better than Brets last season.  This will make itself evident year 1 with CCM.  A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE ARE IN FOR A SUPRISE!  I'M TALKING 7 WINS MINIMUM.  POSSIBLY MORE, DEPENDING ON THE REST OF THE LEAUGUE.
And yet many point to the returning offensive lineman and point to it as a strength.  So who knows.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: OLDHOG on January 13, 2018, 08:02:17 pm
I'm 66, hope I have another 4 years left to see it.

My friend you have many more than that...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Redhogs

Quote from: rljjr on January 14, 2018, 06:02:55 pm
Why is it a fantasy world? Why? Why can't the Hogs build good depth with the right coaching and recruiting? Do you think LSU was relevant before Saban? No. They were up and down and in many cases downright awful. Tennessee is a proud program that has been as lost as the tribes Moses led across the desert and they're still wandering. Florida wasn't a power until some guy named Spurrier built on Charlie Pell and Galen Hall's work. Coaching matters. Stars change.

It may be harder, but it's not fantasy.
Good post. CBP proved what you say is true. This program will be light years different from the windbreaker, how much better, just have to wait and see. But one thing is for sure, everyone needs to quit thinking like beat down losers....that's step one. I do think Arkansas is a sleeping giant..JMHO.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: code red on January 16, 2018, 09:07:34 am
A voice of reason......falls on deaf ears.  Good post bro. Spot on.
The voice of a loser is more like it....bad post bro.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

010HogFan

Even a blind man could see that our staff had absolutely no idea how to properly utilize players on the roster. I don't expect Morris to make that same mistake. You don't obtain notoriety as a Texas High School coaching legend by being bad at roster management. Parents alone wouldn't allow it.

PORKULATOR

Hogs #2 or better anytime soon...
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hawganatic

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 13, 2018, 10:06:08 pm
Here is the most-relevant sentence from the whole article.

"The Razorbacks have had just three 10-win seasons in the SEC era (1992-present)"

That's like one double-digit win season every 8.6 years.

woo pigs, etc.....

Actually probably the least relevant sentence in the whole article.  The last 25 years has NO impact on what happens the next 25 years.

It's a loser mentality when you let the past dictate your future.

Mjs84

Quote from: code red on January 16, 2018, 09:05:35 am
Smiley could win 7 next year with the schedule we draw so....that's rather unimpressive.

Lol, where were you after the bike wreck?  Smiley would go winless in the SEC while coaching at alabama.  Don't be a moron sir!   And, we aren't talking about impressive, we're talking about realistic expectations for the 2018 season.  If your wanting to be impressed, then drink a bottle of bleach and go to bed.

Mjs84

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 16, 2018, 11:17:40 am
And yet many point to the returning offensive lineman and point to it as a strength.  So who knows.

Hey Dude, define many.  You mean you?  When has our o-line been a strength?  Seriously.  Name 3 games in the past 8 yrs.  Last qb not to run for his life in a razorback uni was RM.  Do you even watch the games?  This is why thus board is WAY off on just about everything football!  People like you who can't evaluate anything sports related.

Mjs84

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 16, 2018, 01:33:38 pm
Even a blind man could see that our staff had absolutely no idea how to properly utilize players on the roster. I don't expect Morris to make that same mistake. You don't obtain notoriety as a Texas High School coaching legend by being bad at roster management. Parents alone wouldn't allow it.

A blind man yes!  Hogville posters no!

Mjs84

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 15, 2018, 11:37:31 am
Boarland never fails to understand.  I may not agree, but I don't ever have any issues understanding a position.  I never said it was a 4 win team.  It's not an 8 win team either, IMO.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 17, 2018, 01:45:43 pm
Hey Dude, define many.  You mean you?  When has our o-line been a strength?  Seriously.  Name 3 games in the past 8 yrs.  Last qb not to run for his life in a razorback uni was RM.  Do you even watch the games?  This is why thus board is WAY off on just about everything football!  People like you who can't evaluate anything sports related.
Well, dude. No I don't happen to think the OL is a strength.  I don't think they are any good at all.  I don't think the roster is very good at any position group.  I was simply pointing out that if you read enough coverage of the football team you will find those who point to the returners on the OL as a strength.  While many, like you, view it as a weakness.  But maybe we can all aspire to your level of sports analysis.

urkillnmesmalls

Quick, quick, get off that limb!  It's going to break!! 

With the current schedule, I would have predicted 7 wins if BB had returned.  Maybe 6 if we have as many injuries as last season, but I don't know why you think 7 wins is some great achievement in his first season.  I don't think anyone would be amazed by that. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 15, 2018, 11:01:47 am

Maybe brakes got locked up....wheels came off....lug nuts came loose....

I'm thinking the brakes were part of the problem.  Also, while I agree that the talent wasn't utilized well by the previous staff, it is yet to be seen if there is enough speed on this team to compete with the top half of the SEC.  I'm not convinced, and that's going to be an issue with Morris, because every time he speaks...he mentions speed.  If he doesn't have any...then I doubt we're going to excel, and that's something that has been glaringly missing for a few seasons now. 

I hope I'm wrong...and there so much hidden speed that we'll look like Oregon under Chip K.   ;D   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Mjs84

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 02:55:22 pm
Maybe brakes got locked up....wheels came off....lug nuts came loose....

I'm thinking the brakes were part of the problem.  Also, while I agree that the talent wasn't utilized well by the previous staff, it is yet to be seen if there is enough speed on this team to compete with the top half of the SEC.  I'm not convinced, and that's going to be an issue with Morris, because every time he speaks...he mentions speed.  If he doesn't have any...then I doubt we're going to excel, and that's something that has been glaringly missing for a few seasons now. 

I hope I'm wrong...and there so much hidden speed that we'll look like Oregon under Chip K.   ;D

I agree, the brakes were definately a problem.  Long and Beilema very nice guys, that being said, the program needs fresh air.

As for speed, that's pretty accurate too.  You can't coach it either.  Maybe some of these guys will slim down enough to make a difference.   If not, we will indeed have to recruit our way out.  It will be less fun and a longer process of 2 or 3 years, but I have complete confidence Morris's and his guys can do it

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 17, 2018, 02:03:59 pm
Well, dude. No I don't happen to think the OL is a strength.  I don't think they are any good at all.  I don't think the roster is very good at any position group.  I was simply pointing out that if you read enough coverage of the football team you will find those who point to the returners on the OL as a strength.  While many, like you, view it as a weakness.  But maybe we can all aspire to your level of sports analysis.

I keep hearing this.....the OL's job is going to get a lot easier under CM......they won't be going head to head straight up like they were with CBB.....understand the offensive philosophy and you will see how that happens..

MuskogeeHogFan

There is talent on the O-Line and most of them are more accustomed to blocking in the system (from their HS playing days) that Morris will bring to the table. It all depends on the transition and this will be an important piece of the puzzle to be put in place during the Spring. You can't wait for Fall Camp for it to all come together and expect to be successful early. That said, there will be a lot of teaching going on between now and the Spring and how this position group adapts will have a lot to say about how successful the offense will be this fall. The potential exists for them to be better than expected. We will see in time.
Go Hogs Go!

Mjs84

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 02:42:42 pm
Quick, quick, get off that limb!  It's going to break!! 

With the current schedule, I would have predicted 7 wins if BB had returned.  Maybe 6 if we have as many injuries as last season, but I don't know why you think 7 wins is some great achievement in his first season.  I don't think anyone would be amazed by that.

OK.  Everybody wants to talk about next year's schedule.  But here's the deal.  With our previous leadership, all it would take is 1 bad break and the seams would burst.  An unexpected loss early in the season would turn into a 4 game skid.  Yes it's an easier schedule, but the previous staff has found ways to screw things up, unless they were playing Ole miss.  Now, will 7 wins make the fans happy?  That depends on what their personal expectations were.  Moving forward with Morriss, we have a lot to find out.  Questions are still being answered, and solutions will need to come along that we havnt seen in a few years.  It's up to the team to make the transition and buy-in.  If they dont, then no, don't expect 7 wins.  I personally think 8 or 9 would set the bar pretty high.  If you expect the hogs to go undefeated, then get back to me this time next year, and we'll see how that works put for you.

Mjs84

Quote from: Redhogs on January 16, 2018, 01:21:41 pm
The voice of a loser is more like it....bad post bro.

I don't know what conversation you guys have going, but this is hilarious!

Mjs84

So your saying "many" as in those guys who write the little paragraphs about each teams potential projection each season?  Remember the 2015 season when the announcers would hype our O-line each game.  They would talk about how big and tough they were.  By comparision, we went on to have a decent enough year, but that I -line rarely came through when they were needed to make a big play.  Now, that was probably Brets best offensive front.  And those guys left much to be desired.  But everybody hyped them up all year because they had this expectation surrounding them.  Bottom Line....don't listen to the noise!

SooieGeneris

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 14, 2018, 08:26:09 am
I'm pretty sure he will be involved.

Of course he will be involved. Just about every HC is involved in play calls to varying degrees. Including the one who just left almost certainly was. What CM said was that he could not be the HC he needed to be calling the plays all the time.

Craddock will call them from the box with his input and he will overrule a call now and then or tell him to run a certain play is how he explained it. Obviously if that arrangement didn't work on a particular day or in general he would reserve the right to take over play calling duties.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?