Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema: 'We're in year 5. I totally get it'

Started by gchamblee, June 25, 2017, 12:16:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 25, 2017, 09:15:07 pm
What does Bielema 'get' exactly? 

That he's expected to win more games than he has?

That he's expected to field a program that doesn't get embarrassed by 50+ points?

That he's secure in his job because he's a safe soundbyte with a ridiculous buyout for the shown body of work?

That his boss cares a hell of a lot more about money than he does about fielding something resembling a contender when it comes to football?

Just curious.

I'd say he gets the first 3, the last comment is just stupid.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hogs run wild on June 25, 2017, 10:01:24 am
coach speak to give the fans what they want to hear. i want to see it on the field.
Go away, batin'

Artex501

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 25, 2017, 09:39:35 am
That is the kind of attitude you expect from a winner.  Attitude is everything in sports and life. Attitude is why Bielema succeeded as a player.  It's why he has succeeded in coaching.  It's why he advanced through the ranks.

Attitude starts when you wake up in the morning.  It determines what you do in your day and how you affect the people around you.  Great attitudes make great leaders.  Great leaders never, never, never give up.

I hate to lose. Hate hate hate it.  Hated losing football games or basketball games or baseball games when I played. Hate losing a $2 nassau.  Hate losing Monopoly.  But losing is part of competing. Losing gracefully is what winners learn to do. 

So many posters here focus too much on the record and too little on the process while discounting the level of competition.  I hated the way we lost the last two games as much as anyone here, but Missouri was a talented SEC football team playing at home.  Give them some credit.  Va Tech had an explosive offense behind a dual threat QB. They won the ACC Coastal division and made a hard second half run to lose 42-35 to Clemson in the ACC champioship game.  Does anyone think they were defeated in the locker room at halftime of the Belk Bowl in front of a partisan crowd? 

Time to stop whining about last year and follow CBB's lead and get excited about a new season with leaders like AA and Frank Ragnow and young talent like Devwah Whaley and Sosa Agim.

What he said.
+1

PorkSoda

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 25, 2017, 09:42:22 pm
You must be mistaking our AD for the guy at A&M... you know - the one who's making no so vague threats regarding the future of his coach with a significantly better record than Bielema?
you must be mistaking our AD for an idiot if you think somehow threatening the coach is going to improve his performance or that starting over from scratch will improve our record.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on June 25, 2017, 08:16:22 pm
Unless you prescribe to the great Bill Parcell's philosophy of "you are what your record says you are"

Oh jeez...
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

3kgthog

That he's expected to field a program that doesn't get embarrassed by 50+ points?

That he's secure in his job because he's a safe soundbyte with a ridiculous buyout for the shown body of work?

That his boss cares a hell of a lot more about money than he does about fielding something resembling a contender when it comes to football?

Just curious.

Hey now. We're creeping up those academic rankings. That's more important according to the man in the big office.

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 25, 2017, 10:14:58 pm
Hey now. We're creeping up those academic rankings. That's more important according to the man in the big office.

Trump?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 25, 2017, 09:54:50 pm
I'm pretty confident highly competent & highly compensated owners/directors/managers utilize both of these exact scenarios thousands of times on a daily basis all around the world.
You know... in real life and stuff.

so you are ready for a repeat of the Jonelle Smile?

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 25, 2017, 05:24:27 pm
You don't know whether we do or not. Neither do I. All I know is what I have been told from those more closely connected. I think we have the players, they may lack experience, but I think that the players are there. We will see how they perform.

You're right. I don't know for a fact. We may have a bunch of guys that play above their recruiting rankings. However, it's safe to say that looking at recruiting over the past 5 years we do not have what we need to get where we want to be. Every year that passes by under a HC that doesn't win a lot of games diminishes the chance to bring in the studs to elevate the program.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 26, 2017, 04:09:47 am
You're right. I don't know for a fact. We may have a bunch of guys that play above their recruiting rankings. However, it's safe to say that looking at recruiting over the past 5 years we do not have what we need to get where we want to be. Every year that passes by under a HC that doesn't win a lot of games diminishes the chance to bring in the studs to elevate the program.

I won't argue one bit about any team needing and wanting to improve their talent levels. That's great when it can happen. But there are instances of teams with lower recruiting rankings being able to produce (as an example) a better defense. Look at Vanderbilt and their Total Defensive Rankings nationally from 2013-2016. #23-354.8, #68-402.1, #28-350.5, #64-408.2 From 2012-2016 their recruiting rankings have been 48, 26, 46, 49 and 54. So it is possible to do it with less perceived talent. Probably more difficult to do, but possible.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 25, 2017, 09:42:22 pm
You must be mistaking our AD for the guy at A&M... you know - the one who's making no so vague threats regarding the future of his coach with a significantly better record than Bielema?

Making a threat public regarding the need for improvement by a high profile employee is not a good management method. This style makes you wonder if it isn't more for the benefit of the public perception of the AD, rather than being effective in gaining different results from the HC. If the AD's only motivation was to let his HC know that they need more from him this year (in terms of wins), he could have let Sumlin know that in private, and I am sure that he did. Making it public doesn't make it more effective.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 25, 2017, 03:28:28 pm
I think that is exactly what occurred, don't you? The five year plan I mean. He has been given the time. I believe that he also admitted that he might have underestimated the level of the challenge in the SEC. He did it at Wisconsin, he figured it might not be this difficult in the SEC. I'd speculate that he expected to have more success on his resume in the SEC by now and a case could certainly be made that he left some wins on the field these past 3 years. On the high end we have had the chance to go 9, 10 and 10, but at least 8, 9 and 9 and had either of those scenarios occurred, I doubt that anyone would have a complaint at this point.

This is a key year for him in my opinion, even if he is here through 2018. Yes, I want to see what he is going to be able to do with the team this season.
Honestly if not for 3-4 2nd half collapses over the last two years, he would be way ahead of schedule.  The bounce of the ball is a fickle batch
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rhames

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 26, 2017, 08:18:43 am
Honestly if not for 3-4 2nd half collapses over the last two years, he would be way ahead of schedule.  The bounce of the ball is a fickle batch

Yeah but the same argument could be made over the wins we pulled out of the hat.

The record is the record.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rmcchris

Man, how I loath the "talking season".  I'm ready to rock and roll as well BB, On the field, entire game!  Go Hogs Go.  WPS

gchamblee

Just curious.

lol. It is almost like you sit down and before you post ask yourself "how can I make myself look like I have no idea what I am talking about?" and hit the bullseye with every post.

gchamblee

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 25, 2017, 09:54:50 pm
I'm pretty confident highly competent & highly compensated owners/directors/managers utilize both of these exact scenarios thousands of times on a daily basis all around the world.
You know... in real life and stuff.

That's what makes it so funny

rhames

I always find it funny when people say Jeff cares more about money than winning.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Pork Twain

Quote from: rhames on June 26, 2017, 08:23:27 am

Yeah but the same argument could be made over the wins we pulled out of the hat.

The record is the record.
I agree completely and am not saying it should be any other way.  I am only saying that we were this close...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The NewEra

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 26, 2017, 08:18:43 am
I agree with your assessment.  In my opinion this is a lack of leadership at critical positions on the team.  With the exception of J. Will - B. Allen, Hunter Henry & Trey Flowers, Bielema didn't inherit much in the way of true leaders.  Hopefully the guys we have on this team now are the type of leaders we need to get us over the hump in critical situations in those close games.  I'm confident he has more physical talent and a higher caliber athlete than what he inherited.

Certainly there are a lot of other components, i.e., poor coaches (Cheney & Rob Smith) who didn't utilize the talent they had in a way to maximize them.  Pittman who wasn't doing as well at recruiting as we had been led to believe.  I feel good with our offense being in Enos hands, so that is a team strength.  Now if Rhodes does what we all hope and shores the other side of the ball up we should be pretty good this year.

There's no doubt that Bielema has experienced his own growth curve and was caught off guard by the level of talent across the board in the SEC West, in particular.  He's a smart guy and a good coach.  I do hope he makes the strides this year to take the program to another level.  I too am becoming frustrated in coming up short when victory is so close.

As Muskogee said.  This is a critical year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on June 26, 2017, 10:28:18 am
I agree with your assessment.  In my opinion this is a lack of leadership at critical positions on the team.  With the exception of J. Will - B. Allen, Hunter Henry & Trey Flowers, Bielema didn't inherit much in the way of true leaders.  Hopefully the guys we have on this team now are the type of leaders we need to get us over the hump in critical situations in those close games.  I'm confident he has more physical talent and a higher caliber athlete than what he inherited.

Certainly there are a lot of other components, i.e., poor coaches (Cheney & Rob Smith) who didn't utilize the talent they had in a way to maximize them.  Pittman who wasn't doing as well at recruiting as we had been led to believe.  I feel good with our offense being in Enos hands, so that is a team strength.  Now if Rhodes does what we all hope and shores the other side of the ball up we should be pretty good this year.

There's no doubt that Bielema has experienced his own growth curve and was caught off guard by the level of talent across the board in the SEC West, in particular.  He's a smart guy and a good coach.  I do hope he makes the strides this year to take the program to another level.  I too am becoming frustrated in coming up short when victory is so close.

As Muskogee said.  This is a critical year.

And the amazing thing is that we actually have people on this board that believe that Bielema is walking around in some kind of mental fog and that he doesn't understand (or care) just how important this year is to his future at Arkansas. That's why he said, "year 5, I got it". He understands what needs to be done and despite what he is paid, people who Coach have pride and never want to fail, and neither does he. They don't seem to get it that it isn't about the money at this point, he had already made more than he needed at Wisconsin prior to coming to Arkansas. What he fears the most is the potential for failure.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogs49ers

You know, I am not a big fan of the "sunshine pumper" fans that sh.it rainbows everyday, but it sure would be nice if we had a bit more positivity and optimism than we do...It is really starting to wear on me, coming into every single thread and reading all the negativity.  I think I am about done with MMQB.

I truly believe that CBB is the right guy and that we are about to have some really solid years of football.  I mean for CBBs full body of work as a head coach and the fact that this is year 5 with all of his players plus a year or 2 of game experience for most of his players, a senior QB, you would think that there would be a bit more optimism from our fans going into this season.  It is kind of sad to be honest..

For all the naysayers out there that want CBBs head and think there is no way he gets the job done here at Arkansas, than who do y'all suggest that would come in here and win 9-10+ games a year and make y'all happy and optimistic???  And think about the next few years in a new rebuild that probably would not be so good either...

I myself do not believe there are serious options out there that would be a better fit for our program for the long haul.  I feel like CBB is a guy that will stay here long term, even after becoming a consistent winner in the SEC and not just jump at the first bigger offer that comes his way.  The only way I feel that we could get a better coach is if we took a shot at a younger, up and comer type coach, but I feel like if we did that and the up and comer became successful, we would not be able to keep him here for too long anyway.  So that comes back to needing a coach just below the top 5-10 elite coaches in the country, and I think CBB is in that next tier and we can keep him long term.
SCREW Vandy!

PonderinHog

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 26, 2017, 11:08:08 am
You know, I am not a big fan of the "sunshine pumper" fans that sh.it rainbows everyday, but it sure would be nice if we had a bit more positivity and optimism than we do...It is really starting to wear on me, coming into every single thread and reading all the negativity.  I think I am about done with MMQB.

I truly believe that CBB is the right guy and that we are about to have some really solid years of football.  I mean for CBBs full body of work as a head coach and the fact that this is year 5 with all of his players plus a year or 2 of game experience for most of his players, a senior QB, you would think that there would be a bit more optimism from our fans going into this season.  It is kind of sad to be honest..

For all the naysayers out there that want CBBs head and think there is no way he gets the job done here at Arkansas, than who do y'all suggest that would come in here and win 9-10+ games a year and make y'all happy and optimistic???  And think about the next few years in a new rebuild that probably would not be so good either...

I've never seen anyone say that they expect 9-10 wins/year.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 11:11:30 am

Okay, but you know that that is want they expect.  I remember fans complaining about winning 9-10 a year when we had Petrino, so do you honestly expect our fans to be happy if we win 8 games this year?
SCREW Vandy!

rhames

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 26, 2017, 11:17:09 am
Okay, but you know that that is want they expect.  I remember fans complaining about winning 9-10 a year when we had Petrino, so do you honestly expect our fans to be happy if we win 8 games this year?

If they win 8 this year. Yeah. Most level headed ones

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 26, 2017, 11:08:08 am

I myself do not believe there are serious options out there that would be a better fit for our program for the long haul.  I feel like CBB is a guy that will stay here long term, even after becoming a consistent winner in the SEC and not just jump at the first bigger offer that comes his way.  The only way I feel that we could get a better coach is if we took a shot at a younger, up and comer type coach, but I feel like if we did that and the up and comer became successful, we would not be able to keep him here for too long anyway.  So that comes back to needing a coach just below the top 5-10 elite coaches in the country, and I think CBB is in that next tier and we can keep him long term.

I think CBB is a good fit. It just depends on your expectations for the program. Is it in contention every half dozen or so years? I think he can accomplish that. We'll know after this season. If he can't put an average product on the field this season I'm not sure how you can convince anyone he will do it down the road.

No blowouts
No head scratcher losses

Wildhog

No, I don't think anyone actually expects 9-10 wins/year.

And I expect some won't be happy if we win 8.  Not because they expect 9-10 games annually, but because it's year 5 and all we have to show for his tenure is a Liberty Bowl. 

Hell, HDN got fired after an 8 win season.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 11:00:14 am
And the amazing thing is that we actually have people on this board that believe that Bielema is walking around in some kind of mental fog and that he doesn't understand (or care) just how important this year is to his future at Arkansas. That's why he said, "year 5, I got it". He understands what needs to be done and despite what he is paid, people who Coach have pride and never want to fail, and neither does he. They don't seem to get it that it isn't about the money at this point, he had already made more than he needed at Wisconsin prior to coming to Arkansas. What he fears the most is the potential for failure.

Fear of failure is a great motivator.  It served me well my entire career as an adult.  Your points above are all very good.

gchamblee

Just stop. Your contrarian act in every thread is tiresome.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 11:22:24 am
Just stop. Your contrarian act in every thread is tiresome.

Not an act.  You'd love me in person.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

The people ruining every single thread on MMQ will not be happy regardless of how many we win. They say they will, but they will not. Their entire goal here is to make you unhappy with the current administration. It has nothing to do with football.

Al Boarland

Quote from: rhames on June 26, 2017, 11:21:26 am

If they win 8 this year. Yeah. Most level headed ones

That's what I don't get. He has all the pieces he will ever have from a talent and depth standpoint with the recruiting challenges at the UofA. This is the season we should be picked to contend. Nationally we aren't even in the conversation. That's concerning.

What conditions merit us being a contender and expecting 10 wins? Is this not it?

PonderinHog

I ain't gonna lie.  I'll be pissed about every loss, whether they're by 3 or 30.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 11:21:41 am

And I expect some won't be happy if we win 8.  Not because they expect 9-10 games annually, but because it's year 5 and all we have to show for his tenure is a Liberty Bowl. 

Okay, yes, I agree with you, I should of phrased it differently.

But the problem with that logic, a lot of fans are basically expecting to be unhappy - because they do not expect 9-10 wins next year, but they will not be happy if we only win 8.  So I guess it just bugs me that our fans are going in to any season with that outlook.
SCREW Vandy!

MuskogeeHogFan

Then why complain about being historically average at about 7-8 wins each year? That's our average over a long period of time and yet, people think that there isn't any reason for us to not win 9 or more every year. I can honestly say that I feel that we have had a chance to go 9, 10 and 10 the last 3 years and certainly 8,9 and 9. People would complain if we won 10 or 11 every year but never won the West. "Fire him, get someone else, we can't win the big ones". Absolutely guaranteed reaction. People always want more than what they have.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogs49ers

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2017, 11:25:22 am
I ain't gonna lie.  I'll be pissed about every loss, whether they're by 3 or 30.

Lol on Gruden!

I will be pissed off after every loss too, because I care way too much, but I get over it and can still have an overall positive outlook on what we are doing.  (In most cases)
SCREW Vandy!

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 11:27:05 am
Then why complain about being historically average at about 7-8 wins each year? That's our average over a long period of time and yet, people think that there isn't any reason for us to not win 9 or more every year. I can honestly say that I feel that we have had a chance to go 9, 10 and 10 the last 3 years and certainly 8,9 and 9. People would complain if we won 10 or 11 every year but never won the West. "Fire him, get someone else, we can't win the big ones". Absolutely guaranteed reaction. People always want more than what they have.

Because to average 7-8 wins a year, you've got to have some 9+ win seasons in there.

Because math, Skogee.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 26, 2017, 11:24:51 am
That's what I don't get. He has all the pieces he will ever have from a talent and depth standpoint with the recruiting challenges at the UofA. This is the season we should be picked to contend. Nationally we aren't even in the conversation. That's concerning.

What conditions merit us being a contender and expecting 10 wins? Is this not it?

Mostly because odd years are always going to be tough for the hogs to overachieve.

Wildhog

Quote from: rhames on June 26, 2017, 11:29:58 am

Mostly because odd years are always going to be tough for the hogs to overachie

I'd MUCH rather have LSU/Bama on the road.  Gives us our more winnable conference games at home.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 26, 2017, 11:28:29 am
Lol on Gruden!

I will be pissed off after every loss too, because I care way too much, but I get over it and can still have an overall positive outlook on what we are doing.  (In most cases)
You'd think that after all these years, we'd be better conditioned to cope with disappointment.  Go Hogs!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 11:29:15 am
Because to average 7-8 wins a year, you've got to have some 9+ win seasons in there.

Because math, Skogee.

I've got that, my point was and I'll say it again since you obviously overlooked it, we could win 10 to 11 games every year and some people would still complain and be asking for the head of the HC because we didn't win or get to an SECCG. People always want more than they have at the time. Why? It ain't math.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 11:31:54 am
I'd MUCH rather have LSU/Bama on the road.  Gives us our more winnable conference games at home.

I understand that but look at the years where we won the West.

I'm not saying it's impossible.

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 11:32:51 am
I've got that, my point was and I'll say it again since you obviously overlooked it, we could win 10 to 11 games every year and some people would still complain and be asking for the head of the HC because we didn't win or get to an SECCG. People always want more than they have at the time. Why? It ain't math.

Well those people are dumb.

I don't think I've ever seen any of them here.  But yeah, dumb.  If they exist.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 11:34:10 am
Well those people are dumb.

I don't think I've ever seen any of them here.  But yeah, dumb.  If they exist.

That type lurks here and in every fan base. People are never satisfied. Now that said, I'd like to see us win 9 or 10 every year too, but eventually some folks wouldn't be satisfied with that.
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 26, 2017, 11:44:43 am
Now this is a great use of actual facts to make a point!  I get so burnt out on the "lack of players" debate.  How does anyone possibly know if any team does or does not?  Who made the recruiting services the end all judge of talent level?  At the end of the day, every coach in America evaluate HS talent that fit their need.  I don't think any of them sit around waiting on recruiting services to provide them with a "value" of the athletes.

To CBB's credit, he's signing more heavily recruited players than Petrino did. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 11:21:41 am

He has done more than just win a Liberty Bowl. I get it, you refuse to acknowledge anything that doesn't confirm your agenda, but lets at least be honest here.

Beat 15th Rank TCU
Beat 12th Rank Ole Miss
Beat 11th Rank Florida

Beat 18th Rank Ole Miss
Beat 9th Rank LSU
Destroyed Kansas State in Liberty Bowl

Beat 17th Rank LSU
Beat 8th Rank Ole Miss
Destroyed Texas in Texas Bowl

Also, everyone knows HDN was not fired because of his wins/losses. Pretending he got fired for winning 8 games is just a hyperbolic lie to push your agenda. At some point, you are going to have to be honest or just have everything you post be assumed a manipulated dishonest stat.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 11:56:46 am
Keep lowering that bar, G.

Ya, because me pointing out your crap is a sign that I am satisfied with winning 7 games a year.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 11:58:21 am
Ya, because me pointing out your crap is a sign that I am satisfied with winning 7 games a year.

Listing individual games as proof of aggregate accomplishment is crap.  Because while he does have a few nice wins, inconsistency has plagued his tenure, as evidenced by the bad losses.

Now I'll anxiously await your next insult.
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 12:01:59 pm
Listing individual games as proof of aggregate accomplishment is crap.  Because while he does have a few nice wins, inconsistency has plagued his tenure, as evidenced by the bad losses.

Now I'll anxiously await your next insult.

I was simply showing that he has accomplished more than just a Liberty Bowl win as you claimed. If you dont like it, quit misrepresenting.