Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema brand

Started by ChitownHawg, September 24, 2017, 05:14:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

After watching his presser he knows he isn't performing at the standard the fans or himself wants. If he continues to fail and is eventually fired that is a hard hit for his brand.

Would he, from a pure branding standpoint, be better to "fall on the sword, and resign? Thereby keeping his good guy brand intact? Of course he would leave a lot of money on the table, but saving his brand could help him in the long run. So over a career he comes out ahead.

I am not saying this will happen, but just throwing something out there for discussion.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Shrevepork

I don't think "falling on the sword" would be any different that getting fired. Who respects a quitter? He should go down swinging that sword.

Al Boarland

I don't think the guy really has a brand. He's likeable and that about it.

Toledo Hog

He needs to use the old "spend time with family" excuse to resign at the end of season.  He then spends a season as a commentator before getting his next coaching job.  It would most likely be at a lower tier program first.  Unless someone was desperate.

hogcard1964

No, he's not going to "sacrifice" himself in order to save what's left of his career.  He has 11.4 million payable after January 1st.  He's not the "nice guy" a lot of people have been buffaloed into believing.  He's not walking away from his millions.

I do think the buyout can be renegotiated, and that's what Long should be working on right now.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Toledo Hog on September 24, 2017, 07:30:48 am
He needs to use the old "spend time with family" excuse to resign at the end of season.  He then spends a season as a commentator before getting his next coaching job.  It would most likely be at a lower tier program first.  Unless someone was desperate.

Why not just collect the best of his money?

Bubba's Bruisers

I suspect there will be some negotiated buyout where BB can leave under more palatable terms with the UA taking a reduced financial hit.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

moses_007

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 24, 2017, 07:34:20 am
No, he's not going to "sacrifice" himself in order to save what's left of his career.  He has 11.4 million payable after January 1st.  He's not the "nice guy" a lot of people have been buffaloed into believing.  He's not walking away from his millions.

I do think the buyout can be renegotiated, and that's what Long should be working on right now.
Long could just notify him by letter that he's being terminated effective Jan. 1, 2018 because his performance has not been up to expectations.  That wouldn't have to be reported publicly, and it would give coach a chance to decide if he wants another coaching job, and give Long more time to find his replacement.

Hoggish1

Quote from: moses_007 on September 24, 2017, 07:38:42 am
Long could just notify him by letter that he's being terminated effective Jan. 1, 2018 because his performance has not been up to expectations.  That wouldn't have to be reported publicly, and it would give coach a chance to decide if he wants another coaching job, and give Long more time to find his replacement.

I'm not for doing that unless Long tells him in that letter that he too will resign effective Jan. 1, 2018.  Because if CBB has to go there can be no way in hehl Long gets to make the pick!

But, there are nine games left and the problems I've see thus far, are fixable.  Also, I'm considering we have played toe to toe with two ranked teams.  As infuriating as the last two loses were, there are nne games to go and I'm staying put with plans to see at least two of them in person—as I do every year.

JaketheSnake

He would consider another power 5 HC job, but he wants to win and to prove to himself and the college football world that he can win in the SEC.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 24, 2017, 07:52:30 am
I'm not for doing that unless Long tells him in that letter that he too will resign effective Jan. 1, 2018.  Because if CBB has to go there can be no way in hehl Long gets to make the pick!

But, there are nine games left and the problems I've see thus far, are fixable.  Also, I'm considering we have played toe to toe with two ranked teams.  As infuriating as the last two loses were, there are nne games to go and I'm staying put with plans to see at least two of them in person—as I do every year.

We've had fixable problems for 5 years.

hogcard1964

Yes he could.  Or if Beilema refuses to go back to the negotiating table, they could fire him right now.  Which is what needs to be done anyway.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 24, 2017, 07:54:14 am
He would consider another power 5 HC job, but he wants to win and to prove to himself and the college football world that he can win in the SEC.

His Brand is destroyed! and I would bet when he gone he will tell anybody who will listen You can't win at Arkansas.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 24, 2017, 07:58:16 am
His Brand is destroyed! and I would bet when he gone he will tell anybody who will listen You can't win at Arkansas.

He's really screwed us.

GunnerHawg70

Nobody likes a quitter!!! His back is firmly against the wall, stuck between a rock and a hard place, drowning in quicksand with ankle weights on, stuck in a rut, fight till there's no fight left in him, CATCH THE CHICKEN CBB, CAAAAATCH THE CHIIIICKEEEN!!! (que Rocky theme music)...Happy Sunday and post game woes!!!  ;)

HardCore

He can't win at Arkansas.  Petrino could.  Yesterday's outcome was a series a fundamental coaching mistakes, not a talent issue.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 24, 2017, 08:00:38 am
He's really screwed us.
Ummmmmm no sir. You're flying off post game trauma. CBB didn't screw over Hogs program, he actually overall improved the football program...His style of play worked in BIG10 but hasn't in the SEC. That team is chalked full of studs whom are not being utilized properly, motivated properly or pushed / coached properly.  Killer instinct is what's lacking. Noticed when CBB got into the OL's arse they played 1000x's better?!?! It starts with CBB being aggressive and that filters down to the fraaaackin ball boy...so to say CBB screwed the Hogs - Not buying it. The cupboard is in a helluva lot better shape than when he inherited...Happy Sunday buds

hogcard1964

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 24, 2017, 08:14:13 am
Ummmmmm no sir. You're flying off post game trauma. CBB didn't screw over Hogs program, he actually overall improved the football program...His style of play worked in BIG10 but hasn't in the SEC. That team is chalked full of studs whom are not being utilized properly, motivated properly or pushed / coached properly.  Killer instinct is what's lacking. Noticed when CBB got into the OL's arse they played 1000x's better?!?! It starts with CBB being aggressive and that filters down to the fraaaackin ball boy...so to say CBB screwed the Hogs - Not buying it. The cupboard is in a helluva lot better shape than when he inherited...Happy Sunday buds

We're getting worse.  We're now a perennial cellar dweller.

Hoginsavga

I am not an attorney but in effect haven't you effectively terminated him the date you hand him that letter? You simply use the January 2018 date to save millions for the University or Foundation. I am not sure but I bet attorneys for CBB would have a lot of fun with this.

hoghearted

If and when he is termed, his rep will not suffer overmuch. Media will give him a pass, with the excuse of how hard it is at Arkansas and the SEC. Not to mention those unrealistic hog fans.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Hogsmo Kramer

Talking out of both sides of your mouth on that comment, bud.

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

moses_007

Quote from: Hoginsavga on September 24, 2017, 09:04:23 am
I am not an attorney but in effect haven't you effectively terminated him the date you hand him that letter? You simply use the January 2018 date to save millions for the University or Foundation. I am not sure but I bet attorneys for CBB would have a lot of fun with this.
That might be true, but I would think that as long as he is still being paid his monthly salary, he is still on the payroll and therefore not terminated yet.  I suspect he would be happy to leave town with $11.4 million in his hip pocket. 

wachhog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 24, 2017, 05:14:44 am
After watching his presser he knows he isn't performing at the standard the fans or himself wants. If he continues to fail and is eventually fired that is a hard hit for his brand.

Would he, from a pure branding standpoint, be better to "fall on the sword, and resign? Thereby keeping his good guy brand intact? Of course he would leave a lot of money on the table, but saving his brand could help him in the long run. So over a career he comes out ahead.

I am not saying this will happen, but just throwing something out there for discussion.
The "brand " however well cultivated, has little value once the product has been exposed as being far less than advertised. It takes years, if ever,  to build it back, and the bigger the brand, the harder the fall. We've seen that with giant consumer products brands.
Bret has been exposed as being far less than advertised. I don't see how he puts a sufficient product on the market anywhere, unless Barry takes him back. Even then, he would have a far different reputation than he had coming in here.  Sad. Only partially his fault that he was a misfit at Arkansas.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: wachhog on September 24, 2017, 09:15:38 am
The "brand " however well cultivated, has little value once the product has been exposed as being far less than advertised. It takes years, if ever,  to build it back, and the bigger the brand, the harder the fall. We've seen that with giant consumer products brands.
Bret has been exposed as being far less than advertised. I don't see how he puts a sufficient product on the market anywhere, unless Barry takes him back. Even then, he would have a far different reputation than he had coming in here.  Sad. Only partially his fault that he was a misfit at Arkansas.

I don't believe his brand is as damaged outside of Arkansas. I can see him going back to the B10 or Pac10. Heck, maybe take over for Snyder when he retires. There will be good programs willing to take a shot with him.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Redhogs

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 24, 2017, 07:52:30 am

Ha, ha....Ranked teams?? A&M is far from ranked.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

RazorbackAlways

moses_007

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 24, 2017, 09:22:13 am
I don't believe his brand is as damaged outside of Arkansas. I can see him going back to the B10 or Pac10. Heck, maybe take over for Snyder when he retires. There will be good programs willing to take a shot with him.
K-State needs him at the end of this season.  Snyder is way past normal retirement age.

hogcard1964

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 24, 2017, 09:22:13 am

In the Midwest not too many people pay attention to Arkansas, but Beilema is now known as more of a joke among Big 10 fans. 

I think he could take the path of Charlie Strong and go to a low profile non major and revive his career a bit.  I think his days of coaching in a power 5 are over.

hoglady

Bielema needs to go back to the mid-west.
He's not a good fit in the SEC or probably most southern schools.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

toxichog

This is nor far-fetched at all............Nebraska is a storied College Fooball power, and right now their program is way off track.  They won all the time with big strong Offensive Lineman ( most from the Midwest and on the Five year program ).  They would welcome a return to the glory days in "style" that Bielema would bring.  It would also get Bielema back to the Midwest where his recruiting roots are......and out of the SEC West.  National pundits would consider a move to Nebraska a promotion, or at worst a lateral move.  His opportunity to win big on the national level is much greater playing Nebraskas schedule than Arkansas schedule.  It would be a good move for Nebraska, a good move for Bielema, ...............as for Arkansas, we all know there are numerous established D1 Head Coaches that have always dreamed of coaching the Razorbacks.

farmhawg

You obviously don't watch much football if you think we are improved, talent or scheme.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

buldozer

At this point CBB has no brand other than losing and staring into space while his team is underperforming. If he wanted to save face, he would quit after this season. I'm sure at this point he is looking for alternate employment in an easier conference.

wachhog

Quote from: toxichog on September 24, 2017, 10:18:33 am
This is nor far-fetched at all............Nebraska is a storied College Fooball power, and right now their program is way off track.  They won all the time with big strong Offensive Lineman ( most from the Midwest and on the Five year program ).  They would welcome a return to the glory days in "style" that Bielema would bring.  It would also get Bielema back to the Midwest where his recruiting roots are......and out of the SEC West.  National pundits would consider a move to Nebraska a promotion, or at worst a lateral move.  His opportunity to win big on the national level is much greater playing Nebraskas schedule than Arkansas schedule.  It would be a good move for Nebraska, a good move for Bielema, ...............as for Arkansas, we all know there are numerous established D1 Head Coaches that have always dreamed of coaching the Razorbacks.
We do?
But as for Nebraska, I'm all for talking that up. Maybe the national pundits will start mentioning it during their broadcasts.

bigeasyhog

I, for one, don't want want Jeff Long working on anything. His "work" and judgement culminated in this existing position. I don't trust his decision making skills. I cannot believe that he filled the head coaching vacancy ( and was allowed to do so) with only a single interview. That is damning evidence by itself, that he is not capable. I know this; I would never fill the role of a high profile management position without a thorough search and interviewing multiple candidates. I don't care if I received a resume' with the most beautiful cover letter ever drafted! So, no, this hog fan has seen enough of Jeff Long and his results from his decisions.

East Clintwood

He may say that but BPs record proves otherwise.

That just makes him into a liar in addition to being a failure as a head coach.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

BoynamedWooPigSooie

He needs to take the best job he can get after this season.  2-3 more years of him sticking around to prove a point and he'll be lucky to get the FAU job.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: farmhawg on September 24, 2017, 10:20:22 am
You obviously don't watch much football if you think we are improved, talent or scheme.

But...but...we throw the A and speak Hoganese....

We just have to be improved...

PRJ

ND

Not standing there on the sideline with a blank look on his face and mouth breathing the whole game would be a good start.  If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't even guess that he was the head coach and at first glance, would have assumed Enos or Rhoads was. 

Stop standing there slack jawed and fiddling with your headset.  Get fired up.  Show some emotion.  Get into the dang game.  Get in their faces when they perform poorly or meet them with enthusiasm when they're coming off the field after performing well.  Don't just stand there and fist bump people.  I'm no Alabama fan, but I watch their games because I really enjoy watching Saban coach.  When he gets fired up ...man.  I have to catch myself from getting off the couch and doing grass drills in the living room.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd say that as a player, a large part of my emotional involvement in a game was a direct result of my coaches.  If they were happy, I was happy, if they got fired up, I got fired up, if they were dejected, my confidence took a hit.  The first thing I looked for while running off the field after making a play, good or bad, was my coaches face.

If this is what I saw every time I came off the field...

...I probably wouldn't be that emotionally invested in the game either.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Porkys Revenge

My only question is, why does he always looked like he just smelled a skunk? Explain me this. 

hawgon

Watching one of the highlight shows last night and one of the commentators said, "Just look at Bielema..." with a note of disgust.  You could tell that he was wondering how he could let himself go like that.

The dude is imploding.  The fat jokes are a fun distraction but he looks like death warmed over.  He is extremely unhealthy looking.  It's not funny but he has become a punchline.

His brand is that of a national laughingstock.

ND

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on September 24, 2017, 11:55:10 am
My only question is, why does he always looked like he just smelled a skunk? Explain me this.

I honestly think it's a look of confusion.  When I see that look on anyone else's face, it says to me, "What's the deal?  Why is that not working?"  That's what I take from it.

N

TNRazorbacker

Not before the season ends but I could see him seeing the writing on the wall in the offseason. Hoping that happens. He needs to get back to the B1G.

twistitup

His 'brand'  is already tarnished.....a successful brand should supported by a loyal staff - he doesn't have a loyal staff. Instead he cobbles together coaches that are castaways - like Enos who failed at Central Mich. Bielema's 'brand' is just a knockoff of Alvarez - knockoff's are never better than the original. He has chosen in desperation to get away from his bread / butter and it has cost him.

The original staff he hired saw CBB's true colors and they bailed.....now they are winning at Georgia. It wasn't the University of Arkansas that ran the coaches away - it was CBB and how he runs a program.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

JOKERHOG

Agreed.  Come to a reasonable settlement and move on before it gets worse for both sides. 
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

JOKERHOG

Quote from: buldozer on September 24, 2017, 11:29:57 am
Here is the brand he created in Wisky:
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/23/watching-bret-bielema-and-arkansas-lose-was-everything-i-hoped-it-would-be/

Yes, it not like we weren't warned and some of us who had watched Wisky are not surprised.  He has been exposed and quite honestly, I kinda think his career is over.  He would have left before it got this bad. 
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Pig Worshipper

I don't think Bielema has much of a "brand" anymore.

He may have a Ryan Gosling tattoo.