Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Johnson is finally getting the media love he deserves.

Started by snoot hoggy hog, April 25, 2017, 09:07:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

It sucks that it took this long for the media covering the NBA to recognize Joe's greatness. Never got into trouble, always did it the right way, just came to the league and did what Razorbacks do best, work hard.

[/url] https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-joe-johnson-resurgence-contract-utah-jazz-atlanta-hawks-los-angeles-clippers-bbd57ff5b1d8[url]

hawgmasta

I don't know if anyone listens to Dan Patrick but they dog on joe quite often, I've tried to call in before to set them straight, Whatever. I love the show but DP rags on Joe too much.

Hogwop

They were just talking about him on the Amy Lawrence show on CBS sports radio and she had nothing but good things to say about Joe.

She said he "has the clutch gene" and that she's glad to see him having such a good series. Said he kind of got lost in Brooklyn when they brought in KG and Pierce, that he was kind of the forgotten man.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

scorekeeper

Joe isn't a me first type of player in a game of me first type of players. The most complaints that I have heard against Joe are in regards to the money that he has made without being that superstar me first player. 
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Kevin

joe will be on the dan Patrick show today in the final hour of the show which starts 10am central time
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawg Red

Quote from: Kevin on April 26, 2017, 08:40:31 am
joe will be on the dan Patrick show today in the final hour of the show which starts 10am central time

Lol.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: scorekeeper on April 26, 2017, 08:26:54 am
Joe isn't a me first type of player in a game of me first type of players. The most complaints that I have heard against Joe are in regards to the money that he has made without being that superstar me first player.

I understand what you're saying, and agree that he's not as selfish as most stars. But, his nickname is Iso Joe... lol

Atlhogfan1

Joe got stuck in Atlanta Hawks mediocrity.  The Hawks have long been an average franchise.  Not bad enough to tank and get good draft picks.  Never good enough to contend for a title.  Middle of the road playoff team.  While Joe was in Atlanta, he was a big reason why they were able to sustain their middle of the road make the playoffs status.  When it came time for his contract, the Hawks had the decision to fall back and not be nearly as competitive by letting Joe go or paying to keep him and keep on treading water.  They decided to stay in the playoffs and overpay.  Because of the $, fans and media expected Joe to be something he wasn't - a player with the explosive physical ability to take over playoff games aided by athleticism.  Or at least try to.  We know that isn't Joe.  He isn't Lebron or Kobe.  Just because of the contract doesn't mean he was magically going to turn into one of them.  Not his fault the timing of his contract worked out for him financially.  The Hawks could have said no and temporarily been a worse team.  Joe should not have received near the criticism he did.  What was he supposed to do?  Turn down the $?  Now that he is older, that expectation he had in Atlanta is gone and he is finally being appreciated for the player he is and has been.  Basketball people - players, coaches, front office - have always had much more respect for him and his value than fans and many in the media. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

niels_boar

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 26, 2017, 11:15:21 am
Joe got stuck in Atlanta Hawks mediocrity.  The Hawks have long been an average franchise.  Not bad enough to tank and get good draft picks.  Never good enough to contend for a title.  Middle of the road playoff team.  While Joe was in Atlanta, he was a big reason why they were able to sustain their middle of the road make the playoffs status.  When it came time for his contract, the Hawks had the decision to fall back and not be nearly as competitive by letting Joe go or paying to keep him and keep on treading water.  They decided to stay in the playoffs and overpay.  Because of the $, fans and media expected Joe to be something he wasn't - a player with the explosive physical ability to take over playoff games aided by athleticism.  Or at least try to.  We know that isn't Joe.  He isn't Lebron or Kobe.  Just because of the contract doesn't mean he was magically going to turn into one of them.  Not his fault the timing of his contract worked out for him financially.  The Hawks could have said no and temporarily been a worse team.  Joe should not have received near the criticism he did.  What was he supposed to do?  Turn down the $?  Now that he is older, that expectation he had in Atlanta is gone and he is finally being appreciated for the player he is and has been.  Basketball people - players, coaches, front office - have always had much more respect for him and his value than fans and many in the media.

Load of crap.  Nobody thought Atlanta had a good enough roster to win the championship during Joe's years.  However, they did have a good enough roster to compete in the second round of the playoffs, where that team never showed up at all.  The frustration with Johnson was mainly centered on no-shows in playoff series.  Atlanta's playoff history with Joe.

2008 - 37-win ATL surprised in a big way on the upside by taking the 66-win Celtics to 7 in the first round.  Fans were thrilled by the fight in that team.  Pachulia became a city hero.  Joe had a good series replicating his season numbers.  He was outstanding at home, though not much of a factor on the road.  Understandable given the disparity in the quality of the teams.

2009 - Expectations were raised, and the Hawks delivered by improving from 37 to 47 wins.  They won a strange 7-game series against 43-win Miami in the first round.  A trend started here.  The margins in the three losses were -15, -29,  and -26.  Win margins were +26, +10, +15, +13.  These Joe-led teams became a binary bunch in the playoffs, winning easily at home and flopping on the road.

They then got blown out in 4 straight by 66-win Cleveland by an average margin of 16 points. Joe didn't even lead the team in scoring and shot 43% (eFG%).  Also a trend.  It wasn't a series that anybody thought that they should win, but it was not asking for the impossible to be competitive in a couple of home games. Still, it could be explained away as a young team that wasn't ready.

2010 - ATL peaks with 53 wins with Joe.  Third in the East.  This was a team that should have been able to take anybody in the East to at least 6 games. They narrowly avoided an upset loss to 46-win Milwaukee in the first round.  After following their usual pattern of cruising at home and getting blown out on the road, disaster almost struck with a loss at home in game 5.  They managed to recover on the road in game 6 despite Joe going 8 for 24 and then won game 7 easily.  Joe shot 44% (eFG%) in the series.

Then came the defining series of the Joe Johnson era.  They played 59-win Orlando in the second round.  Underdogs? Certainly.  Non-competitive? Certainly not.  They got swept in 4 games by an average margin of 25 points. Their leader Joe Johnson was the fourth-leading scorer on the team and shot 33% (eFG%).  After deservedly being booed off the court in game 4, Johnson commented that he didn't care whether the fans showed up at all, after he didn't show up, and then hamstrung the organization by squeezing every nickel he could out of them.  Yeah, you take the money, but you also have to take the responsibility that comes with it.  After his no-shows in both opportunities in the NCAAT at Arkansas, I officially became fed up with rooting for teams with Joe Johnson as the best player.

2011 - ATL drops to a 44-win team.  Surprisingly they upset 52-win Orlando 4-2 in the first round.  That was the highest achievement in the Joe era. However, the star of the series was Jamal Crawford, who led them in scoring.  Joe shot a mediocre 43% against Orlando.

They also showed some fight by taking 62-win Chicago to 6 games in the second round.  Joe averaged 19 points on 56% shooting.  That was the best postseason performance he had in a Hawks uniform.  If he had done more of that, even in losing causes, he would be more beloved in Atlanta.

2012 - ATL went 40 - 26 in a lockout shortened season.  They lost to 39-win Boston in 6 in the first round in a matchup of even teams. Contract Joe shot 42%.  It solidified the reputation of his teams having little in the chest region.

Everybody in Atlanta with good reason was thrilled that Brooklyn took his contract off our hands.  Joe's lackluster standing in Atlanta was earned in the postseason.  They won 60 games and got to the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time in franchise history three years later.  They were 2 - 12 in the second round during Joe's years.

Joe is having a fantastic series.  He's shooting 59% against the Clippers.  If he had made a habit of doing that in an ATL uniform, he would have earned more appreciation.  He simply didn't.  This series is hardly the postseason player that folks in ATL saw.  That 60-win team beat him in the playoffs.  He shot 43%.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

ShadowHawg

Josh Smith.

This is the guy that caused Atlanta to underachieve. Couldn't stand watching Atlanta with him. The guy was a glory hound in crucial moments and delivered squat.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: niels_boar on April 26, 2017, 01:03:57 pm
Load of crap.  Nobody thought Atlanta had a good enough roster to win the championship during Joe's years.  However, they did have a good enough roster to compete in the second round of the playoffs, where that team never showed up at all.  The frustration with Johnson was mainly centered on no-shows in playoff series.  Atlanta's playoff history with Joe.

2008 - 37-win ATL surprised in a big way on the upside by taking the 66-win Celtics to 7 in the first round.  Fans were thrilled by the fight in that team.  Pachulia became a city hero.  Joe had a good series replicating his season numbers.  He was outstanding at home, though not much of a factor on the road.  Understandable given the disparity in the quality of the teams.

2009 - Expectations were raised, and the Hawks delivered by improving from 37 to 47 wins.  They won a strange 7-game series against 43-win in Miami in the first round.  A trend started here.  The margins in the three losses were -15, -29,  and -26.  Win margins were +26, +10, +15, +13.  These Joe-led teams became a binary bunch in the playoffs, winning easily at home and flopping on the road.

They then got blown out in 4 straight by 66-win Cleveland by an average margin of 16 points. Joe didn't even lead the team in scoring and shot 43% (eFG%).  Also a trend.  It wasn't a series that anybody thought that they should win, but it was not asking for the impossible to be competitive in a couple of home games. Still, it could be explained away as a young team that wasn't ready.

2010 - ATL peaks with 53 wins with Joe.  Third in the East.  This was a team that should have been able to take anybody in the East to at least 6 games. They narrowly avoided an upset loss to 46-win Milwaukee in the first round.  After following their usual pattern of cruising at home and getting blown out on the road, disaster almost struck with a loss at home in game 5.  They managed to recover on the road in game 6 despite Joe going 8 for 24 and then won game 7 easily.  Joe shot 44% (eFG%) in the series.

Then came the defining series of the Joe Johnson era.  They played 59-win Orlando in the second round.  Underdogs? Certainly.  Non-competitive? Certainly not.  They got swept in 4 games by an average margin of 25 points. Their leader Joe Johnson was the fourth-leading scorer on the team and shot 33% (eFG%).  After deservedly being booed off the court in game 4, Johnson commented that he didn't care whether the fans showed up at all, after he didn't show up, and then hamstrung the organization by squeezing every nickel he could out of them.  Yeah, you take the money, but you also have to take the responsibility that comes with it.  After his no-shows in both opportunities in the NCAAT at Arkansas, I officially became fed up with rooting for teams with Joe Johnson as the best player.

2011 - ATL drops to a 44-win team.  Surprisingly they upset 52-win Orlando 4-2 in the first round.  That was the highest achievement in the Joe era. However, the star of the series was Jamal Crawford, who led them in scoring.  Joe shot a mediocre 43% against Orlando.

They also showed some fight by taking 62-win Chicago to 6 games in the second round.  Joe averaged 19 points on 56% shooting.  That was the best postseason performance he had in a Hawks uniform.  If he had done more of that, even in losing causes, he would be more beloved in Atlanta.

2012 - ATL went 40 - 26 in a lockout shortened season.  They lost to 39-win Boston in 6 in the first round in a matchup of even teams. Contract Joe shot 42%.  It solidified the reputation of his teams having little in the chest region.

Everybody in Atlanta with good reason was thrilled that Brooklyn took his contract off our hands.  Joe's lackluster standing in Atlanta was earned in the postseason.  They won 60 games and got to the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time in franchise history three years later.  They were 2 - 12 in the second round during Joe's years.

Joe is having a fantastic series.  He's shooting 59% against the Clippers.  If he had made a habit of doing that in an ATL uniform, he would have earned more appreciation.  He simply didn't.  This series is hardly the postseason player that folks in ATL saw.  That 60-win team beat him in the playoffs.  He shot 43%.

LOL you are a Hawks fan.  I've never actually met one in all of the years living here.  Granted it is a transplant city - jersey south. 

I agree with you on the championship. As I said and you eventually agreed with the Hawks were a mediocre team whose ceiling was making the playoffs.  First round or second or losing in 4 or 6 games doesn't matter.  No threat to win a championship. 

Without Joe in the short term your Hawks would have been worse.  I could understand if they had moved on and dealt with more losing for a short time in order to make a financial decision to rebuild. They didn't.  They decided to stay mediocre and hamstrung themselves.  Joe didn't. They knew who Joe was as a player as far as assertiveness. 

I actually agree with jamie on something- Josh Smith.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

niels_boar

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 26, 2017, 01:20:42 pm
Josh Smith.

This is the guy that caused Atlanta to underachieve. Couldn't stand watching Atlanta with him. The guy was a glory hound in crucial moments and delivered squat.

Smith wasn't the star of the team.  He, Horford, Williams, Crawford, and Bibby were all part of a balanced team behind Joe as the unquestioned leader.  It wasn't Smith's fault that Johnson's ORtg fell from 112 in the regular season to 100 in the postseason in 2010. That was the team that had a chance to make a deep run.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on April 25, 2017, 09:07:30 pm
It sucks that it took this long for the media covering the NBA to recognize Joe's greatness. Never got into trouble, always did it the right way, just came to the league and did what Razorbacks do best, work hard.

[/url] https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-joe-johnson-resurgence-contract-utah-jazz-atlanta-hawks-los-angeles-clippers-bbd57ff5b1d8[url]
Win and perform in the playoffs and it elevates you to a bigger stage and a bigger platform. The same as the NCAA tournament for college.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

niels_boar

April 26, 2017, 02:21:12 pm #14 Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:34:34 pm by niels_boar
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 26, 2017, 01:32:49 pm
LOL you are a Hawks fan.  I've never actually met one in all of the years living here.  Granted it is a transplant city - jersey south. 

I agree with you on the championship. As I said and you eventually agreed with the Hawks were a mediocre team whose ceiling was making the playoffs.  First round or second or losing in 4 or 6 games doesn't matter.  No threat to win a championship. 

Without Joe in the short term your Hawks would have been worse.  I could understand if they had moved on and dealt with more losing for a short time in order to make a financial decision to rebuild. They didn't.  They decided to stay mediocre and hamstrung themselves.  Joe didn't. They knew who Joe was as a player as far as assertiveness. 

I actually agree with jamie on something- Josh Smith.

If you haven't known any Hawks fans, then how were there any unrealistic expectations for Johnson?  That they weren't a championship team wasn't the point.  Fans did not put unrealistic expectations on Joe.  It was not a bunch of irrational Atlanta fans grousing about Joe not meeting unrealistic expectations.  He underperformed relative to realistic expectations in the postseason.

Yeah, it does matter whether you lose in four straight by 25 a game to an evenly matched team or lose by a buzzer beater in game 7.  If it didn't, we might as well have gotten blown out by UNC in the NCAAT.  It doesn't matter. Right?  If it didn't matter, every team in the playoffs would be playing to crickets in their home gym except Golden State, San Antonio, Houston, and Cleveland.  Every other fan base knows that they have almost a zero shot of winning a championship this season.  That's true for almost every sport at every level.  Still, we watch to see if our teams can meet or exceed expectations. Fans can love a scrappy underdog.  I fondly remember Hubie Brown's overachievers taking the defending NBA champion Washington Bullets to seven games even though they lost game 7.  I have a childhood nostalgia for players on that team like John Drew, Eddie Johnson, and Dan Roundfield.  That team made me an NBA fan.  They didn't win a championship or even come that close.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: niels_boar on April 26, 2017, 02:21:12 pm
If you haven't known any Hawks fans, then how were there any unrealistic expectations for Johnson?  That they weren't a championship team wasn't the point.  Fans did not put unrealistic expectations on Joe.  It was not a bunch of irrational Atlanta fans grousing about Joe not meeting unrealistic expectations.  He underperformed relative to realistic expectations in the postseason.

Yeah, it does matter whether you lose in four straight by 25 a game to an evenly matched team or lose by a buzzer beater in game 7.  If it didn't, we might as well have gotten blown out by UNC in the NCAAT.  It doesn't matter. Right?  If it didn't matter, every team in the playoffs would be playing to crickets in their home gym except Golden State, San Antonio, Houston, and Cleveland.  Every other fan base knows that they have almost a zero shot of winning a championship this season.  That's true for almost every sport at every level.  Still, we watch to see if our teams can meet or exceed expectations. Fans can love a scrappy underdog.  I fondly remember Hubie Brown's overachievers taking the defending NBA champion Washington Bullets to seven games even though they lost game 7.  I have a childhood nostalgia for players on that team like John Drew, Eddie Johnson, and Dan Roundfield.  That team made me an NBA fan.  They didn't win a championship or even come that close.

I remember following those Hawks teams on TBS as well.  Understand how you became a fan and respect your loyalty.  I think a divide is you are a Hawks fan who had realistic expectations of Joe and they weren't met.  Understandable.  The Hawks fans I heard in public forums such as local talk radio and media coverage tended to have unrealistic expectations.  They wanted Joe to be a transcendent player.  At his best, he wasn't going to be quite at that level.  And he wasn't assertive often enough in the playoffs we can agree. 

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: niels_boar on April 26, 2017, 01:50:40 pm
Smith wasn't the star of the team. 

Agreed. The problem was Josh Smith thought he was the star of the team.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: niels_boar on April 26, 2017, 01:03:57 pm

2009 - Expectations were raised, and the Hawks delivered by improving from 37 to 47 wins.  They won a strange 7-game series against 43-win Miami in the first round.  A trend started here.  The margins in the three losses were -15, -29,  and -26.  Win margins were +26, +10, +15, +13.  These Joe-led teams became a binary bunch in the playoffs, winning easily at home and flopping on the road.

The butt hurt is strong.

pignparadise

Loved the Hawks in college on TBS. Skip Caray " Roundfield with the ball, he whirls, twirls, swirls, lays it in.nicely done."
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Kevin

Quote from: pignparadise on April 26, 2017, 10:08:55 pm
Loved the Hawks in college on TBS. Skip Caray " Roundfield with the ball, he whirls, twirls, swirls, lays it in.nicely done."

"it's cocktail hour"

Grizzlyfan

Is it possible that Joe Johnson is the most successful Hog pro ever?  Not championships, but earnings and longevity?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 27, 2017, 09:02:42 am
Is it possible that Joe Johnson is the most successful Hog pro ever?  Not championships, but earnings and longevity?

Earnings without a doubt. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 27, 2017, 09:02:42 am

He might be Top 10 earnings from ANY sport all time.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on April 27, 2017, 01:19:07 pm
He might be Top 10 earnings from ANY sport all time.

Johnson has made an astonishing amount of money, and I think he's Top 10 all-time in NBA earnings, but he's not Top 10 in all sports combined, which includes boxers, golfers, race car drivers, and soccer players.

http://www.mensfitness.com/sports/basketball/20-highest-paid-athletes-all-time

LRHog

Quote from: Wisco Pig on April 27, 2017, 01:55:25 pm
Johnson has made an astonishing amount of money, and I think he's Top 10 all-time in NBA earnings, but he's not Top 10 in all sports combined, which includes boxers, golfers, race car drivers, and soccer players.

http://www.mensfitness.com/sports/basketball/20-highest-paid-athletes-all-time

Last I saw was he was around 20th in all time NBA earnings, ~150 mil, but that was a few years ago and not sure how accurate that list was...