Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lorenzo Jenkins

Started by ballinhog, February 13, 2016, 10:40:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinhog

What is the deal with him? 6-7 guy that can shoot but never ever gets in the game. As far as I know he's not redshirting so I just wonder why Mike won't give him a chance. I mean is he that bad? Because let's be honest, our roster isn't exactly loaded with talent and especially doesn't have guys his size that can shoot. If he is that bad then why even recruit the dude. Seems to me like he could help from the little I know about him and the little I've seen

Wild Bill Hog

ballinhog

Look at the roster, he's there on the bench every game

GoHogs1091

Maybe he is getting the Nick Babb treatment.

You know, the Head Coach doesn't play him treatment, and then said player transfers.

OnTheHillHogFan

He doesn't play because he is the worst defensive player on the team. He is redshirting BTW
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

ballinhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 13, 2016, 10:53:07 pm

You know, the Head Coach doesn't play him treatment, and then said player transfers.

That's frustrating to think about. At least on paper a backcourt with Babb and Jenkins looks good. A 6-4 or 6-5 guy (whatever Babb is) plus a 6-7 Jenkins, maybe it wouldn't be a good backcourt but sure looks decent on paper. Of course games are won and lost on the court but still, it's not like we're winning there either. May as well look good on paper lol

ballinhog

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on February 13, 2016, 10:57:37 pm
He doesn't play because he is the worst defensive player on the team. He is redshirting BTW

Yea I had assumed he most likely was a pretty bad defender, so that's a good point. Just be nice to have an extra shooter on the court at times that can shoot over some people

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: ballinhog on February 13, 2016, 10:40:33 pm
What is the deal with him? 6-7 guy that can shoot but never ever gets in the game. As far as I know he's not redshirting so I just wonder why Mike won't give him a chance. I mean is he that bad? Because let's be honest, our roster isn't exactly loaded with talent and especially doesn't have guys his size that can shoot. If he is that bad then why even recruit the dude. Seems to me like he could help from the little I know about him and the little I've seen

Mike gave him a chance when he gave him a scholarship. He has to earn playing time. So far, he hasn't.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

ballinhog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 13, 2016, 11:44:46 pm
Mike gave him a chance when he gave him a scholarship. He has to earn playing time. So far, he hasn't.

Well yes obviously. But if you give him a scholarship and he's lot good enough to play with this roster we have then that looks like bad scouting on Mikes part to me.

devildoghawg

Considering how poorly that our entire team plays defense, I don't see how him sitting on the bench could be any worse than being on the court. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: devildoghawg on February 14, 2016, 12:44:07 am
Considering how poorly that our entire team plays defense, I don't see how him sitting on the bench could be any worse than being on the court.

CMA would put you or me on the court if it would help get this team over the hump. Doobie is ready for prime time yet. Maybe next year for him.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Scott7703

Quote from: devildoghawg on February 14, 2016, 12:44:07 am

I was thinking the exact same thing. Things will get interesting next season with the guards we have coming in. Lots of bodies who should contribute. Will be interesting to see who gets the minutes.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on February 13, 2016, 10:43:07 pm
Who?

The 2-star or no-star kid a part of the 94th ranked (and last in the SEC) recruiting class last year. Picked up when Mike struck out on everyone after his Kapita gambled failed and he struck out of everyone else.

Kevin

Hard to think an August signee is going to help
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Carl Lazlo

Can he make a contested layup?  I can name at least 5 players on this team that seldom accomplish doing it.

Ironhawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 13, 2016, 10:53:07 pm

I still am shaking my head at the Nick Babb deal.  I wonder how much he would have helped the team this year?  I can't believe he couldn't see the playing time that was coming his way this season?  Oh well.  Another one of those things we'll never know the truth about.

Hawg Red

Unless he is hurt, he can't redshirt. Already played in a game. Only way to redshirt after that is for medical reasons. Can't just redshirt a kid because he only played a few minutes.

JRHoward

Doesn't play defense???   Does he know how to make a freakin lay-up?  Can he inbounds the ball?  Interesting. 
Woooo Pig!

rude1

Another reach by this staff in the late period after systematically striking out on all the talented players that were remaining in the late period. Kid was signed more out of desperation of needing bodies for practice than what he was going to bring that could help the team. It's a broken record with this staff that I remain unconvinced that has been fixed.

RazorPiggie

Still wondering why we are wasting scholarships.

rude1

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 14, 2016, 12:40:23 pm
When you have more scholarships than you can generate adequate takers for, you end up just taking the first person who will say yes to have enough to practice with and at least give the appearance the staff's efforts recruiting haven't been a total waste.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on February 14, 2016, 11:55:37 am
Another reach by this staff in the late period after systematically striking out on all the talented players that were remaining in the late period. Kid was signed more out of desperation of needing bodies for practice than what he was going to bring that could help the team. It's a broken record with this staff that I remain unconvinced that has been fixed.
It hasn't been fixed. Just wait to see who we use this last scholarship on for 2016. I have NO confidence in this staffs ability to recruit late in the process for kids that other p5 schools want. None. Zero. Zilch.

nwahogfan1

I hope you are right but he has played in some games and Mike doesn't red shirt players unless he has to. 

So do you know he is red shirting or just guessing?

rude1

Quote from: Danny J on February 14, 2016, 12:48:23 pm
It hasn't been fixed. Just wait to see who we use this last scholarship on for 2016. I have NO confidence in this staffs ability to recruit late in the process for kids that other p5 schools want. None. Zero. Zilch.
We are on the same page. Good or bad they get what they are going to get early. The late period usually consists of us following the remaining talent and watch as they one by one choose another school until we grab a player no one has heard of at the end of it.

lynbug

Quote from: rude1 on February 14, 2016, 12:54:03 pm
We are on the same page. Good or bad they get what they are going to get early. The late period usually consists of us following the remaining talent and watch as they one by one choose another school until we grab a player no one has heard of at the end of it.

Recruiting......so many of our inadequacies lead back to the domino effect that results.  And I don't really see it changing any time soon.  Getting an occasional 4 star recruit is not going to turn our program around.  I have gotten to the point where I watch the games looking for improvement in individual players games.  If I see anything positive that is my victory for the game.  It helps me to cope.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on February 14, 2016, 12:54:03 pm
Everyone talks about CBB and the coaching hires he makes....how they "come out of nowhere and will be the last person you suspect". Our basketball staff adopts the same approach to recruits late in the process and no....I am not trying to be funny. It is frustrating because I like CMA but he is going to have to make some changes in staff or the way the staff recruits.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 14, 2016, 12:40:23 pm

so you can have 5 on 5 practice and scrimmage I guess?

yraciv

Quote from: ballinhog on February 14, 2016, 12:30:03 am
Well yes obviously. But if you give him a scholarship and he's lot good enough to play with this roster we have then that looks like bad scouting on Mikes part to me.

Bingo! He was a reach offer well past initial targets signing, similar to Dee Wagner.  Hopefully he develops and contributes at some point, but I'm not holding out my hopes. Don't think he is quite as good a shooter as you have him pegged.

ballinhog

Quote from: yraciv on February 14, 2016, 01:42:18 pm
Bingo! He was a reach offer well past initial targets signing, similar to Dee Wagner.  Hopefully he develops and contributes at some point, but I'm not holding out my hopes. Don't think he is quite as good a shooter as you have him pegged.

I'm not quite sure that he's a great shooter but he's supposedly a shooter nonetheless. Honesty I'm not really saying this guy is great and should be playing as if he would be lighting up the scoreboard. More of a sarcastic jab at our recruiting efforts than anything lol

RazorPiggie

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 14, 2016, 01:39:12 pm

Keep the scholarship. I'm sure there are some decent students that would love to practice with the team.

nwahogfan1

February 16, 2016, 11:22:36 am #31 Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:33:48 pm by nwahogfan1
Quote from: onebadrubi on February 14, 2016, 01:39:12 pm

Mike is to me always scrambling from behind in recruiting.  Oh sure he has a pretty good A plan I think but when that doesnt turn out for him then he is reaching deep for his next recruit like he does not have another option..  Like he has no Plan B.  I used to think this dont see this changing until he changes Asst. Coaches.  But now I think this is a Mike problem.  He can't recruit outside of his no. 1 targets.   

Hawg Red

From what I saw on Jenkins' tape, I like his game. But I'm not sure he's a high-major player and I'm not sure he has the athleticism to really do much in this system. I'd compare his athleticism to Anton Beard. He has a nice skillset, but I think he's a low-major player better served on a team that focuses more on the halfcourt game.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2016, 10:09:17 am
Unless he is hurt, he can't redshirt. Already played in a game. Only way to redshirt after that is for medical reasons. Can't just redshirt a kid because he only played a few minutes.

Mono.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hawg Red

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 16, 2016, 11:30:02 am
Mono.

Sure wish we were talking about how brave Trey Thompson is this season for battling back from mono.

mjsphd

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 16, 2016, 11:30:02 am
Mono.

I think a coach can usually get a "doctor's note" to get a medical redshirt on someone who's barely seen the court, whether it is totally legit or not.

Razorpigg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2016, 06:57:11 am
The 2-star or no-star kid a part of the 94th ranked (and last in the SEC) recruiting class last year. Picked up when Mike struck out on everyone after his Kapita gambled failed and he struck out of everyone else.

Here we go again.... You remind me of the Aaron Rodgers commercial with the chubby guy. AR asks him if he ever says anything other than "discount double check".  He thinks back and realizes that no, he doesnt say anything other than discount double check. 

Every thread we hear your same tired drivel.  Hope the walls in your house are padded.

Danny J

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2016, 11:42:45 am
Sure wish we were talking about how brave Trey Thompson is this season for battling back from mono.
I still can't get over Moses and what he has come back from. Before coming to Arkansas diagnosed with Malaria.....had previously not played a lot of basketball if any before HS age....would really tire out quickly his freshman year to now....just an amazing story. I saw his interview the other day discussing his family back in Africa and it really makes me feel good for what this young man has accomplished. I am pulling really really hard for him to succeed in life. He deserves it.

mckinneyhog5

Sorry, got my Jenkins mixed up..
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Biggus Piggus

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!
[CENSORED]!

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: mjsphd on February 16, 2016, 12:58:45 pm
I think a coach can usually get a "doctor's note" to get a medical redshirt on someone who's barely seen the court, whether it is totally legit or not.
But why would we want that?

The_Iceman

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 17, 2016, 06:34:29 am
Best troll job of all time.

UBRS nightmare - at least it was in Classic WoW.
[CENSORED]!

BRHogfan

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 14, 2016, 02:00:28 am
CMA would put you or me on the court if it would help get this team over the hump. Doobie is ready for prime time yet. Maybe next year for him.

Most people will actually know who you are talking about when you use his given name "Doobie"

Carl Lazlo

Would have rather seen doobie toke one.  And jack a couple threes at the end of the game instead Anton Beard.

WorfHog

I hope the kid is at least going to class, because someone needs to be getting some value out of that scholly.