Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UALR

Started by Arazorbackguy1, December 18, 2015, 01:40:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

Not because they lost but I don't think UALR would beat us by 10-12 points now.  We are playing much better than a month ago.

DeltaBoy

Trojans got a Sweep Sat night vs UTA in Arlington Texas.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TrueBlue

19-2 and they play good team ball.

I have been impressed....so far.

HoopS

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 16, 2016, 09:28:38 am
Not because they lost but I don't think UALR would beat us by 10-12 points now.  We are playing much better than a month ago.
I would take us straight up.

hoglady

Quote from: TrueBlue on January 31, 2016, 06:04:26 pm
19-2 and they play good team ball.

I have been impressed....so far.

Beard is one heck of coach.
I went to the game last night and they are a fun team to watch.
Decent crowd, too.
I love that I was able to eat a Chick-Fil-A sandwich and drink a beer while watching the game - can't beat that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

DeltaBoy

UALR boys are having a solid year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

TrueBlue

Quote from: hoglady on January 31, 2016, 08:16:39 pm
Beard is one heck of coach.
I went to the game last night and they are a fun team to watch.
Decent crowd, too.
I love that I was able to eat a Chick-Fil-A sandwich and drink a beer while watching the game - can't beat that.

I enjoyed the same meal! ;)  Fun atmosphere actually.

hoglady

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 01, 2016, 02:02:30 pm
I enjoyed the same meal! ;)  Fun atmosphere actually.

That's funny. From the looks of the line all night - a lot of folks had the same meal.
The Jack Stephens center is just a great facility. Not a bad seat in the house. Using Derek Fisher court as basically a play room for the kids was a good idea. I'm gonna make an effort to get to every home game I can.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

BDSCT51

Got a group of us ex-pat Hog fans in Savannah going to sneak over to Georgia Southern in a couple of weeks to catch this team in action. May as well get a good look at Arkansas' only NCAA tourney representative this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BDSCT51 on February 01, 2016, 07:34:23 pm
Got a group of us ex-pat Hog fans in Savannah going to sneak over to Georgia Southern in a couple of weeks to catch this team in action. May as well get a good look at Arkansas' only NCAA tourney representative this year.

Kind of like way back in 1986.

JackMcQueen

Lunardi's latest Bracketology has them as a 12 seed in Denver playing 5 seed Dayton..winner would play the 4/13 winner Providence/Chattanooga.
2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

TheRazorback500

Lost to ULM tonight.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

JackMcQueen

2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

BDSCT51

Four tickets all set for Saturday's tilt at Georgia Southern! I'll give a full report here on how it went. Won't be able to make that "northeastern" Arkansas school's game on Thursday at GSU. Didn't plan this out as well as I would have wanted as I have to work down in Brunswick Thursday.
Bleeding Razorback Red

JackMcQueen

Lunardi's newest bracketology has LR as a 12 seed playing 5 seed Texas in Oklahoma City. Winner would play the Kentucky/Stony Brook winner.
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

BDSCT51

Good road win for "LRU" last night! We were four of the maybe 10 maroon clad fans in Statesboro. Met a really nice couple from Little Rock who sought us out in the ticket line asking where we were from. Kind of surprised her and her husband when we said we lived about 40 minutes away. Yes, it was tough trading my Hog gear in for a night! The night started off pretty good at the WILL CALL gate as the young lady mistook me for a visiting coach and gave me a ticket for row 1 behind the visitor's bench. I almost felt flattered till I recalled they called Pelphrey a "coach" too.................... Tickets squared away and off to our seats we went.

The GSU gym was really compact seating about 4000 if you all really liked each other. For comparison, UCA's arena is much larger so this was a bit of a surprise. I would estimate there was around 1500 in attendance.

GSU started on a 5-0 run but it was all LRU after that. Let me preface my opinions by stating that I thought that the Trojans may be one of those "flashes in the pan" kind of team buoyed by their conference affiliation and lack of basketball strength. Couldn't have been further from the truth if I had tried! After that 5-0 run to start, these guys and their coaching staff settled down and went to work. Well coached by a man with fire and passion on the bench, he was relentless on his players and also the refs. (The refs: SEC office you need to figure it out as this group of three called an even, fair game. VERY impressed by the refs!!!!) The Trojans played a half court type of inside/outside offense that took advantage of every weakness and mistake by GSU. When GSU changed things up the LRU staff changed their strategy on both ends of the floor WHILE THE GAME WAS IN MOTION!!!! Didn't need a time out as these guys responded EVERY time to a call from the bench. BTW: the assistants called things too!!!! Compared to what I have seen from the Hogs, it was a refreshing thing to see.

Their front court is very strong and knows how to attack the rim on both ends of the floor. I had to punch my friend on numerous occasions when a shot went up and there were four guys boxing out and crashing the boards offensively and defensively. The team has a solid 9 man rotation with point guard being the spot they seemed to be one deep at. I suspect this could be a bad liability in tournament play, both for their conference and the NCAA. Solid outside shooting and zero fear to muscle inside for a basket were nice things to see. Also penetrating guards with court presence that knew when to dish back out or in for a basket instead of taking it themselves was a pleasant surprise too.

All in all I expect this team to not only be in the NCAA tourney but make some noise as well. I can see these guys making the round of 32 and possibly sweet 16 with a lucky bounce or two. Several local fans that chatted with us on the way out and expressed similar thoughts. A good night of watching some home grown basketball made for a very pleasant evening in south Georgia. Best of luck to the Trojans from Little Rock for the rest of the year! We'll be watching!
Bleeding Razorback Red

hoglady

I've already got my tickets for the Arkansas State game on 3/1 and will probably go to the Texas St. game next Saturday.
This Trojan team plays some of the best defense (without fouling) that you will see.
They've got 3 more home games and hopefully they will have good crowds for all of them.
Sure hope they can keep this coach for a few more years.

DeltaBoy

Go Trojans !

TrueBlue

UALR needs to go ahead and lock Chris Beard into a long and lucrative contract with a large buyout because there will be some teams come calling after the season. Might as well get it done now instead of later.....

If Houston can keep Tom Herman as a head coach in football, UALR has a decent chance into keeping Beard a few years...IF they act NOW!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 23, 2016, 12:49:12 pm
UALR needs to go ahead and lock Chris Beard into a long and lucrative contract with a large buyout because there will be some teams come calling after the season. Might as well get it done now instead of later.....

If Houston can keep Tom Herman as a head coach in football, UALR has a decent chance into keeping Beard a few years...IF they act NOW!

Yep we need to lock him up.

GolfNut57

Beard is likely smart enough to know bigger name schools will come calling and may refuse to sign a long term deal.

And let's face it. No matter how much UALR offers to pay, and I am pretty sure they do have a limit they won't go over, the Sunbelt will always be a league that will only get 2 bids to March madness at the most (most years just the one auto bid) and Beard will not want to hang around too long in that type of case. He will want to coach in a league that gets multiple bids every year to increase his exposure.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 23, 2016, 05:58:28 pm
Beard is likely smart enough to know bigger name schools will come calling and may refuse to sign a long term deal.

And let's face it. No matter how much UALR offers to pay, and I am pretty sure they do have a limit they won't go over, the Sunbelt will always be a league that will only get 2 bids to March madness at the most (most years just the one auto bid) and Beard will not want to hang around too long in that type of case. He will want to coach in a league that gets multiple bids every year to increase his exposure.

I hope your wrong but your more than likely right.

TrueBlue

The "Jack" was packed tonight. I didn't see many empty seats at all.

Trojans were controlling UTA but let them back in the game at the beginning of the second half. The Trojans were able to re-group however and finish fairly strong. They won by 12 but should have won by more than that - the refs seem to swallow their whistle on the Trojan's offensive end of the floor under the basket continually in the later stages of the game.

Another great defensive effort though. The team really knows how to play defense.   

hoglady

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 25, 2016, 10:31:48 pm
The "Jack" was packed tonight. I didn't see many empty seats at all.

Trojans were controlling UTA but let them back in the game at the beginning of the second half. The Trojans were able to re-group however and finish fairly strong. They won by 12 but should have won by more than that - the refs seem to swallow their whistle on the Trojan's offensive end of the floor under the basket continually in the later stages of the game.

Another great defensive effort though. The team really knows how to play defense.   

That's what Beard preaches - great defense, 100% effort, without fouling.
And those players buy in. It's amazing with all the new guys brought in and Beard's first year they play so well together.

TrueBlue

DeltaBoy

GO TROJANS on to the Big Dance.

razCzar

Won't be easy against UL-Monroe which finished only 2 back of UALR - winning by 4 and losing by 1 in head-to-head. 

Love to see the Trojans be rewarded for having the best record in basketball.

Sun Belt CG is at 12noon tomorrow on ESPN2.

hoglady

Quote from: razCzar on March 12, 2016, 05:42:01 pm
Won't be easy against UL-Monroe which finished only 2 back of UALR - winning by 4 and losing by 1 in head-to-head. 

Love to see the Trojans be rewarded for having the best record in basketball.

Sun Belt CG is at 12noon tomorrow on ESPN2.

It's do or die for UALR tomorrow.
Was hoping UT - Arlington would win - LA Monroe is our worst Sunbelt match up.
If they lose don't think they have a prayer at the NCAA - with the crazy conference tournaments this year.
I think 14 out of 15 conference leaders lost their conference tourney so far.
That puts a lot of teams on the bubble who weren't projected to be there.

SuperSid4Ever

Not saying that UALR is a lock, but CBS Sports' Jerry Palm has them as a #12 playing Texas A&M as a #5 in OKC in the first round.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology?ttag=MM16_os_lk_ns1_palm_preSS

We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

HoopS

They better win. Too many good teams hanging around.

hoglady

They came out in the second half and just took control and never looked back.
Go Trojans!!!
Really nice game by Scott.

TrueBlue

For all of the great P.R. they will receive for winning both the regular season and the tournament, and also going to the Big Dance, the Little Rock Tourism Board and the City of Little Rock should make donations to keep Beard at Little Rock. This is really drawing some good press for the area.

The university looks like marketing geniuses after making this change to "Little Rock" and selling out the "Jack", winning the titles, and now going to the Big Dance. Bravo guys!

hoglady

Every exciting to see Little Rock do well - Beard was in tears after the tourney win he was so happy.

SuperSid4Ever

hoglady

Was reading an article this morning on Arkansasonline.
Beard was so pissed at halftime you could hear him yelling through the walls of the locker room.
Beard said he had an aggressive face to face with the team at halftime. (and in the process may have broken his hand).
Whatever he did worked - they came out and were +25 for the half.
Scott said - "Coach Beard, means what he says" and apparently that team listens.

DeltaBoy

Trojans face Purdue .

hoglady

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 15, 2016, 09:15:07 am
Trojans face Purdue .

During an interview this morning Beard says he usually dreams about beaches, water and pretty women / said he had nightmares about 7' tall / 285 pound men last night.  Ha!!

DeltaBoy

Go UALR.

HoopS

They're a trendy pick to beat Purdue.

DeltaBoy

They BEAT Purdue.

TrueBlue

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 23, 2016, 12:49:12 pm

This was back in February. Too bad Chasse Conque didn't listen...  :(