Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What a bad group

Started by ghostzapper, May 21, 2016, 08:59:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostzapper

AP played against a similarly bad group of 3 year olds and dominated.  Nyquist couldn't duplicate. Hello to upper claiming level races. 

cbhawg03

Look like they thought Nyquist could do exactly what AP did last year and go to the front regardless of how fast and hold everyone off. Just not talented enough to go that fast and hold everyone off.  Do agree on the group though, maybe a year where different horse wins each leg.

jdelo77

Belmont will be very intresting ! Fresh horses and new shooters ? Could be some good odds ..

ghostzapper

I shouldn't say that about Nyquist.  He ran into the teeth of two fast paces in both Triple Crown races, won one and was still around at the end of the other.  That's a gutsy horse.  But these were not fast races, and if Exaggerator can only crank out a 101 when everything went his way, hard to see a high limit with him. 

kingoftherapids

how often does a closer get a high beyer though?

Torqued pork

Nyquist has a fever and will not run in the Belmont Stakes according to bloodhorse.com.

kingoftherapids

nope. high white blood cell count. means there is usually an infection somewhere although they haven't found where yet. will point to travers or haskell.

cbhawg03

Hasn't it been this way for some time though that the best overall group of horses were females?

Zenyatta
Rachel
Tepin
Royal Delta
Beholder
Songbird
Lady Eli

I know I missing some but over that same period of time, like only a couple colts come to mind and there was like one good one for each year and then everybody else.

Right now, give me Tepin, Catch a Glimpse, Beholder and Songbird over any colt. Who is even the best older horse? Chrome? Gosh I hope not, Chromies  :puke:

yraciv

Nyquist has lost once in slop and put up a blistering time in the Derby.  I'd say he is as good or close to as good as mostly all in recent years. Exaggerator has been right there with him the other times, so you've got to say the Top 2 are strong.  That being said the rest of them leave a lot to be desired and I agree the field has lacked depth.  Might be a problem with the scoring system.  It's basically if you get hot one day and win a big prep, you earned your ticket. I still think Cupid is a pretty good horse that can compete with some of these better 3 year olds and just didn't have it that day in the Arkansas Derby.