Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LeGerald Vick (2015 BBall SG)

Started by -Blu, August 04, 2014, 03:21:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

The mods really need to purge some of this thread out of here to the trash can.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: intelligence on August 09, 2014, 10:01:04 pm
I understand the excitement over Moses' potential, but do we really need all the sensationalism. Let's just wait and see what happens instead of pretending to know
Are you sure you know how this message board business works?   ;D

We are all on here because of our impatience with "waiting to see what happens".

Dominicanhog

Quote from: RazorAg on August 12, 2014, 12:48:01 pm
Local Memphis people are really high on Vick.  I can't remember if it was John Martin or Jason Smith, who both work for the Commercial Appeal, that had Vick as the 2nd best player in Memphis regardless of class.

More so than just getting Vick, who I think would be awesome for us, is that Mike/Hogs would have gone back into Memphis and gotten a stud... it's been awhile and our teams have been less effective since it happened.

mhuff

Quote from: intelligence on August 09, 2014, 10:01:04 pm
I understand the excitement over Moses' potential, but do we really need all the sensationalism. Let's just wait and see what happens instead of pretending to know

No offense taken, but I do not pretend to know. I know..... as does anyone else who has eyes. Look at his stats. You don't get offensive rebounds by standing around picking your nose. He obviously moves his feet well and gets into position to rebound. What I say is not sensationalism nor hyperbole; it is fact based on result.... not speculation. I have seen his improvement for about four years and it has continued to get better each year.

mhuff

Quote from: 20gauge on August 11, 2014, 02:46:40 pm
FWIW I heard some Memphis guys talking on the radio about Vick. They seemed to be pretty sure he would be a Hog. I guess we will see.

That's good info..... keep it coming. I know it's just two guys giving their opinions ,but I love to hear Memphis people giving up on a recruit.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on August 13, 2014, 10:45:17 am
This is one scenario that unless Blu did it last year he is not guilty of fabricating. I read all that stuff last year and did not think it appropriate to be discussing. Also, one does not have to be poor to want to go play in Europe. Albeit that they may be one and dones, high school players are considering that now....... go to Europe, get paid, and then go to the pros. Regardless, I wouldn't want all this stuff said openly about me if I were he on an ARKANSAS site

Thank you, and your not alone in thinking it's inappropriate to always bring up his personal finances and family situation.  I didn't mean to jump all over Dominican, but I'm tried of all these false rumors.  This same rumor of his "family situation" was brought up on another board a little while ago because people started rumors he was going overseas to "support his family" and Dudley even confirmed Qualls never expressed any interest in going overseas, and this from somebody that is actually around the players and talks to them.

Anyways that's my last time commenting on this situation, hopefully all the Qualls and family life rumors will start to die down, they make for uncomfortable conversations and are annoying.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on August 13, 2014, 11:36:51 amhopefully all the Qualls and family life rumors will start to die down, they make for uncomfortable conversations and are annoying.

Glad to see you'll stop needlessly and recklessly posting about it on the Recruiting forum. You're the only one who has done so in this thread.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 13, 2014, 01:03:40 pm
Glad to see you'll stop needlessly and recklessly posting about it on the Recruiting forum. You're the only one who has done so in this thread.

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 13, 2014, 06:50:27 am
I do think Portis will leave but I also think Qualls will leave.. if one of those two were likely to stay, I think it would be BP... Qualls has different family situations and money might be more important to him than maybe BP at this time.

HawgAdvocate

^^^^^^^^^

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 13, 2014, 10:56:59 am
The mods really need to purge some of this thread out of here to the trash can.

Ok, let's score one for being oblivious. There's absolutely nothing wrong noting the obvious fact that Qualls lives a different life than Portis, and their priorities are not one and the same. Hell, he went out of his way to include "maybe" as a qualifier. That's a fair, basic, and completely harmless point that anyone can make.

Not one word of 'kids' or 'need of money to feed kids' or 'having kids' or a specific 'family situation' was ever typed in Dominican's original post. Then, the deep-end plunge into full derailment ensued, which you are continuing to debate for some silly reason.

Get a clue. Keep this garbage out of Recruiting.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

New Info on LeGerald Vick

http://arkansas.scout.com/story/1437048-vick-setting-visits?s=10

Since it's a pay article, not sure how much info I can or can't say, so I'll just say... We're currently in his Top 3, most likely his top 2 schools right now from that read.  He's looking to setup visits.

Hawg Red

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on August 22, 2014, 01:53:02 pm
New Info on LeGerald Vick

http://arkansas.scout.com/story/1437048-vick-setting-visits?s=10

Since it's a pay article, not sure how much info I can or can't say, so I'll just say... We're currently in his Top 3, most likely his top 2 schools right now from that read.  He's looking to setup visits.

Who are the top 3?

-Blu

August 22, 2014, 02:25:56 pm #62 Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:45:13 pm by -Blu
Quote from: Hawg Red on August 22, 2014, 01:59:26 pm
Us and Memphis?

Us and Cincinnati.  Article doesn't even mention Memphis as offering, I'm assuming they are out of the picture.

Florida State is the 3rd school.  Reason I said it's between us and cincy, is because he said he doesn't know much about Florida State, that's why he's going to take a visit there.  Mostly talked about us and Cincinnati in the article, so I just kind of put 2 and 2 together.

-Blu

Between Malik Dime and LeGerald Vick I'm wondering who is more of a priority to sign in Fall.  The staff could really go either way, if we don't lose anybody we're pretty much set with depth at all positions going into next year.

Lineup with Vick

Durham/Beard
Bell/Whitt/Hannahs/Watkins
Qualls/Babb/Vick
Portis/Miles/Williams
Kingsley/Thompson

Lineup with Dime

Durham/Beard
Bell/Whitt/Hannahs/Watkins
Qualls/Babb
Portis/Miles/Williams
Kingsley/Dime/Thompson

Me personally I prefer the lineup with Dime, the lineup with Vick isn't bad either.

The_Iceman

It looks that by year 2016, Mike will be going with a 3 guard lineup, which is great when those are 3 quality guards, something we haven't had in awhile.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 22, 2014, 02:51:14 pm
It looks that by year 2016, Mike will be going with a 3 guard lineup, which is great when those are 3 quality guards, something we haven't had in awhile.

It does seem to be trending that way.  Also look like we're trending to go with 2 legit bigs, rather than 1 Big guy and a combo F. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on August 22, 2014, 03:06:48 pm
It does seem to be trending that way.  Also look like we're trending to go with 2 legit bigs, rather than 1 Big guy and a combo F. 

That depends. If you land Melvin Frazier, he could play the PF spot along with Miles and Williams. If Kingsley continues to develop his skills, he could slid down to the 4-spot with his ability to knock down the jump shot. I think Mike's preferred lineup would be a solid PG, two guards/wings between 6'3"-6'5", a combo forward that can shoot and handle it (Powell/Portis), and an athletic defensive minded Center (Kingsley/Dime).

Hawg Red

I'd prefer Frazier, probably, to either Vick or Dime. If we can only have one of the 3, that is. Versatile frontcourt guy and probably a 3-4 year player. You only get Dime for 2 years and you don't get as much out of him as a junior if Portis is still here. I've seen Frazier compared to Rondae Hollis-Jefferson at Arizona, and I think that's a great comp. Enough bounce and handle to play the 3 and explosive and physical enough to play the 4. He'd be ready to be a start as a sophomore, I'd figure. Qualls, Miles and Williams would be gone by then.

But, I'd be happy with any and all of them, to tell the truth. They all fit very well.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 22, 2014, 03:28:29 pm
That depends. If you land Melvin Frazier, he could play the PF spot along with Miles and Williams. If Kingsley continues to develop his skills, he could slid down to the 4-spot with his ability to knock down the jump shot. I think Mike's preferred lineup would be a solid PG, two guards/wings between 6'3"-6'5", a combo forward that can shoot and handle it (Powell/Portis), and an athletic defensive minded Center (Kingsley/Dime).

Reason I didn't mention Frazier is because I haven't heard much on him lately, not sure if we're still recruiting him as hard as we were.  He's also stated that he's going to sign in the Spring, which makes me think we really aren't going to pursue him hard unless we lose Qualls or Portis.  Dontae Fitzpatrick is another guy that name was mentioned was us a lot and things have started to cool down on his name being mentioned as well.

Dime and Vick seem to be like the guys we are recruiting the hardest right now, or at least the only guys name I've been seeing consistently pop up with our name attached.

Also, I thought of something earlier, I think it's possible we may could lose Williams as well after this year.  This isn't based off of any information just me connecting some dots.  But, it's VERY possible he could get beat out again this year for significant minutes.  He'll probably play in the 3 and 4 spot, and those spots are arguably where we are the deepest, if Miles is as advertised, and Harris has a better year, then he could see himself playing spot minutes again this year.  And he's a guy I just don't see staying another year if he doesn't play quality minutes every game.

Hawg Red

I thought there was a very good chance JaCorey would transfer to seek more playing time elsewhere after this season. He plays like a player very concerned with playing time and being involved. Often rushes and tries to stand out too much. Needs to let the game come to him and make his impact by making good plays rather than being flashy or putting up shots as soon as he can.

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on August 22, 2014, 04:21:54 pm
Reason I didn't mention Frazier is because I haven't heard much on him lately, not sure if we're still recruiting him as hard as we were.  He's also stated that he's going to sign in the Spring, which makes me think we really aren't going to pursue him hard unless we lose Qualls or Portis.  Dontae Fitzpatrick is another guy that name was mentioned was us a lot and things have started to cool down on his name being mentioned as well.

Dime and Vick seem to be like the guys we are recruiting the hardest right now, or at least the only guys name I've been seeing consistently pop up with our name attached.

Also, I thought of something earlier, I think it's possible we may could lose Williams as well after this year.  This isn't based off of any information just me connecting some dots.  But, it's VERY possible he could get beat out again this year for significant minutes.  He'll probably play in the 3 and 4 spot, and those spots are arguably where we are the deepest, if Miles is as advertised, and Harris has a better year, then he could see himself playing spot minutes again this year.  And he's a guy I just don't see staying another year if he doesn't play quality minutes every game.

We had this discussion earlier and I actually thought Williams would be gone this year. I said we needed a good SF. Look who may be here next year at that position. I want a scoring SF who plays defense.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 22, 2014, 04:26:03 pm
I thought there was a very good chance JaCorey would transfer to seek more playing time elsewhere after this season. He plays like a player very concerned with playing time and being involved. Often rushes and tries to stand out too much. Needs to let the game come to him and make his impact by making good plays rather than being flashy or putting up shots as soon as he can.

Yea I think the staff may have thought he was gone as well.... Remember Shane Henry coming out and announcing he's was going to announce soon between V-Tech and Arkansas?  Then his recruitment completely went silent for a couple after it was reported we wouldn't have any more transfers, then he finally committed to V-Tech. 

I could read the writing on the wall with that one.

poloprince

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 22, 2014, 04:26:03 pm

JaCorey isn't going anywhere as I've stated previously the last two seasons. It just isn't going to happen. Let's try not to have a 3rd year of this speculation.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

I'll keep that in mind if I decide I'm going to start taking tips on how to post. As of now, I have no such plans and will speculate at my leisure.

The_Iceman

I think Jacorey could really have a solid senior season at the PF after Portis leaves. If he continues to develop his game, he has the talent to really contribute to the team.

The Hogfather

Vick is another tall, rangy, athletic guard.  If we have room for he and Dime/Frazier and can get them, sign him up!

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 04, 2014, 03:31:06 pm
He just looks like a SG that would fit perfect on our team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVlgFbM_E5E

Just saw Vick for the first time. There were a lot more good things than bad. I liked his ball control going to the basket ,and he had more moves than most.... obviously had good coaching..... smart player. I liked how he shot some reverse layups to keep from being blocked from behind. He really pushed the ball down the court well and passed to the open man. I think his shot looked a little flat..... I would like to see some stats..... a highlight film is just that.

Looks like a good addition.

poloprince

Quote from: klp1 on August 05, 2014, 05:37:21 pm
Here is another new video.  This guy needs to be a Razorback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roknp3jHEyM

Vick is too smooth. MA needs to secure his commitment.
$PoLoPrInCe$

-Blu

Here's some more Vick info I found when reading about another recruit of ours (Dontae Fitzpatrick) who really seems to like Alabama right now.

http://rolltidehoops.com/topic/269-donte-fitzpatrick/#entry1548

"Lastly Arkansas, Heavy Favorites at LaGerald Vick but team currently has 6 SF's on team."

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: poloprince on August 23, 2014, 08:43:04 pm
Vick is too smooth. MA needs to secure his commitment.

My goodness this kid is unbelievably fast for 6-4.

Swinesong1

Quote from: -Blu on August 27, 2014, 11:45:13 pm
Here's some more Vick info I found when reading about another recruit of ours (Dontae Fitzpatrick) who really seems to like Alabama right now.

"Lastly Arkansas, Heavy Favorites at LaGerald Vick but team currently has 6 SF's on team."
We have six SFs?

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

RazorAg

Quote from: -Blu on August 27, 2014, 11:45:13 pm

Horrible piece of journalism there.

The Hogfather

-Blu

Quote from: RazorAg on August 28, 2014, 07:21:12 am
Horrible piece of journalism there.

I don't really care about the journalism, just about the latest on Vick's interest with the Hogs.  I don't know that guys credentials, but he's the administrator of rolltidehoops, so I'm assuming he's like a Dudley or Richard for them.  And even if he's not still good to hear what others are saying about our chances at a recruit.

-Blu

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 28, 2014, 12:52:00 am
We have six SFs?

Well.....

Qualls, Williams, Miles, Harris, Babb and possibly Madden will all at one time or another this year play at that 3 spot, which is the equivalent of a SF, I guess.  Maybe that's what he's talking about.  We really don't have a SF, since we do 3 guards 2 forwards, but depending on the lineup we do have a lot of guys that can play the "3" spot.  I wouldn't have said it like he did, I guess he was just trying to make a point we have a lot of guys that can play the position that he's at.

onebadrubi

Quote from: -Blu on August 28, 2014, 09:52:18 am
Well.....

Qualls, Williams, Miles, Harris, Babb and possibly Madden will all at one time or another this year play at that 3 spot, which is the equivalent of a SF, I guess.  Maybe that's what he's talking about.  We really don't have a SF, since we do 3 guards 2 forwards, but depending on the lineup we do have a lot of guys that can play the "3" spot.  I wouldn't have said it like he did, I guess he was just trying to make a point we have a lot of guys that can play the position that he's at.

What are you calling a SF?  I have a couple other questions after you answer that.  I believe we do have a true SF. 

-Blu

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 28, 2014, 09:54:28 am
What are you calling a SF?  I have a couple other questions after you answer that.  I believe we do have a true SF.

We'll we don't really use a "SF".  We do 3 guards 2 Forwards, or sometimes 3 Forwards 2 guards.  The SF position is usually the "3" spot for us.   Here's some lineups from last year that I saw where we used a different guy at the "3" position.  And I'm sure I'm forgetting some as well.

1. Gulley
2. Madden
3. Qualls
4. Clarke
5. Portis

1.Gulley
2.Bell
3.Madden
4.Clarke
5.Portis

1.Gulley
2.Bell
3.Harris
4.Clarke
5.Portis

1.Gulley
2.Madden
3.Williams
4.Harris
5.Portis

And then I believe Clarke may have played the 3 spot on some bigger lineups as well, but can't really remember the exact lineup.

onebadrubi

I think Qualls and Clarke are both a true 3.  If williams and miles have a consistant jump shot, they are true 3's as well.  I don't like Harris's shot to label him a 3.  Disagree?

klp1

I think of Scotty Thurman or Todd Day as "true" 3's.  MA likes  Combo-type players that can play multiple positions.  Clarke, Harris, Williams  and Miles are more 3/4 combo types.  Madden, Babb and possibly Vick are more 2/3 combo with Madden having the ability to be PG on occasion.  Qualls is the closest thing we have to a true 3, provided that he continues to improve his perimeter skills.

-Blu

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 28, 2014, 11:04:15 am
I think Qualls and Clarke are both a true 3.  If williams and miles have a consistant jump shot, they are true 3's as well.  I don't like Harris's shot to label him a 3.  Disagree?

I would agree that Qualls and Clarke look and play the part of a traditional SF if your looking at how the SF position is played in the pros.  And I agree with your assessment of Williams and Miles.

As far as Harris, If we're talking about for the Hogs and our play style and what we do, then Harris is mostly a 4 but can play the 3 if we do a big lineup, but as far as his natural position, he was labeled as a SF coming out of high school, and if he plays B-Ball professionally he'll be a SF, no pro team is going to use a 6'6 PF, unless your just absolutely amazing.  But, I would agree with his bulkiness and the way he plays his game doesn't seem to favor a traditional SF if your looking at the NBA or other top programs that utilize a SF.

-Blu

Quote from: klp1 on August 28, 2014, 12:16:51 pm
I think of Scotty Thurman or Todd Day as "true" 3's.  MA likes  Combo-type players that can play multiple positions.  Clarke, Harris, Williams  and Miles are more 3/4 combo types.  Madden, Babb and possibly Vick are more 2/3 combo with Madden having the ability to be PG on occasion.  Qualls is the closest thing we have to a true 3, provided that he continues to improve his perimeter skills.

^This right here, I don't think MA really recruits traditional SFs, last traditional SF I can think of that he was recruiting was Otto Porter. He looks for guys that can play multiple positions and be versatile.  That's why he only labels his guys as either Guards or Forwards.

RazorAg

Quote from: -Blu on August 28, 2014, 09:46:12 am
I don't really care about the journalism, just about the latest on Vick's interest with the Hogs.  I don't know that guys credentials, but he's the administrator of rolltidehoops, so I'm assuming he's like a Dudley or Richard for them.  And even if he's not still good to hear what others are saying about our chances at a recruit.

Don't misunderstand me in thinking that I think you shouldn't have brought it to the board.  All I'm saying is that it's clear that the author is using "internet research" to complete that article.  That's a method of journalism.  I don't put any faith at all in what that author says.

Hogimus Prime

MA's traps and press works best when he can put several guys on the court that are around 6'6".

Nolan's best pressing teams in the early 90's had multiple 'swingmen' around 6'6" that would be on the court together playing the 2, 3 and 4

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: klp1 on August 05, 2014, 05:37:21 pm
Here is another new video.  This guy needs to be a Razorback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roknp3jHEyM

His layup at the 16 sec mark is on our own Jimmy Whitt