Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

... Al Del Greco

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  2h

Former #Auburn kicker Al Del Greco named Samford men's golf coach http://ow.ly/wpxtT

Had 17 pro seasons as a place kicker and is a top 20 scorer in NFL history.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Andrew Steele

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 20h

Awesome. RT @MattScalici Former Alabama player Andrew Steele announced as new head basketball coach at John Carroll Catholic HS.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Isaiah Crowell

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  18h
Former ASU RB Isaiah Crowell opens up about arrest at #Georgia, NFL Draft in @Boxtorow interview http://ow.ly/wqpGT

QuoteFormer Alabama State running back Isaiah a Crowell, once a five-star recruit and SEC Freshman of the Year, was nearly hard to catch by media members as he was in the open field, during his two years in Montgomery.

The Columbus, Ga. native wasn't made available for interviews for interviews (echo) while he faced felony weapons charges after transferring to the FCS school back in 2012.

"I was, you know, driving, coming back from downtown with a couple of my teammates. They had been drinking. I hadn't been drinking. Stopped at a checkpoint, coming straight from downtown. A lot of people was getting stopped and getting arrested and stuff. They stopped us and said they smelled alcohol. So, I took a Breathalyzer and I passed the test. They still wanted to search the car. They searched the car and they found a weapon. I was shocked as well."

Crowell said he spoke with Georgia coach Mark Ritch when he was released from jail the next day and said the two came to a mutual agreement that he would leave the team and continue his career elsewhere.

He admitted it wasn't the only  incident he was involved in at Georiga, a factor which contributed to him transferring.

"The turn up was real when I was down there, you know?," he said. "We were always doing something and living fast and stuff. So, I understood. I didn't necessarily bring that (particular) situation myself but I understood where coach Ritch (sic) was coming from. It was multiple things that was going on."

He's seen as one the draft's top talents at his position and only needs 18 credits to receive his degree in criminal justice but might not be a selected until the later rounds, if at all, due to his background.

"I have been through a lot and I feel like if I hadn't been through what I've been through, I wouldn't be the man I am now," Crowell said. 

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Greg Hardy

Darin Gantt ‏@daringantt
And there's your Greg Hardy mugshot. pic.twitter.com/bEGLK3GfGV

Carolina Panthers Pro Bowl defensive end Greg Hardy was arrested Tuesday on misdemeanor charges of assault on a female and communicating threats following an early-morning dispute with a 24-year-old woman at Hardy's uptown apartment, according to a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police incident report.

QuoteHardy, 25, was booked Tuesday afternoon when he turned himself in to police, according to a police statement. The name of the person who filed the report was not released as of Tuesday.

According to the incident report, police responded to a call around 4:18 a.m. Tuesday at Ivey's, an upscale condominium building in the 100 block of North Tryon Street. The woman, who told police she and Hardy had been in a relationship since September, said Hardy physically assaulted and threatened her, according to the report.

The report states she suffered minor injuries – bruises and scratches – and she refused treatment. The report says she had been drinking alcohol.

"We are very disappointed to learn of the allegations involving Greg and are concerned for all parties as we continue to investigate," the Panthers said in a statement.

As the Panthers were preparing to make Hardy one of the team's highest-paid players this offseason, there were concerns among team officials about Hardy's off-the-field behavior. Those concerns had followed Hardy since college at Mississippi, but until Tuesday, Hardy's criminal record included only traffic violations.

Hardy's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said he had no comment when reached by phone Tuesday. Hardy's attorney, Christopher Fialko, also declined to comment.

Hardy is scheduled to appear Wednesday morning in front of a district court judge, who has the authority to set bond. Hardy was jailed overnight. A sheriff's office spokeswoman said it's typical in domestic violence cases for suspects to be denied bond for at least a 24-hour "cooling-off period."

After Hardy, who is 6-foot-4 and 290 pounds, tied a Carolina franchise record with 15 sacks last season and went to his first Pro Bowl, the Panthers placed the franchise tag on him, a designation under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement that guarantees him a contract worth $13.1 million this season...

Hardy was a 5.5-rated WDE out of Briarcrest Christian School east of Memphis.

jbcarol

Mike Organ ‏@MikeOrganWriter

#ESPN filming #SEC Storied documentary on tragic collision between #Vandy RB Brad Gaines & Ole Miss' Chucky Mullins. http://tnne.ws/1fW1Iha

QuoteESPN representatives have spent the last couple of weeks in the Middle Tennessee area working on an SEC Storied documentary on former Vanderbilt football star Brad Gaines and Ole MIss' Chucky Mullins.

It is tentatively scheduled to air on Sept. 3 on the new SEC Network, which debuts in August.

This season will mark the 25th anniversary of the hit Mullins, a defensive back, made on Gaines, a running back, which left Mullins instantly paralyzed and eventually ended his life.

After Mullins died in 1991, Gaines began a ritual he has observed every year since, visiting Mullins' grave in his hometown of Russellville, Ala., on Christmas, the anniversary of the hit (Oct. 28) and the day Mullins died (May 6).

jbcarol

... AJ McCarron

Gregg Doyel ‏@GreggDoyelCBS May 15

Did you know AJ McCarron nearly died at age 5? I did not. @EnquirerDoc wrote it today. Wow - http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2014/05/14/daugherty-accident-humbled-bengals-quarterback-mccarron ...

QuoteTony McCarron and his 5-year-old son, Raymond Anthony, nicknamed AJ, were running the waves on a jet-ski. AJ sat in his father's lap, just behind the handlebars. A cousin was in the passenger seat.

The craft was going between 50 and 55 mph when it caught the wake of a marine patrol boat and sideswiped a buoy that was there to guide boaters into a channel off the river. Instinctively, a frightened AJ grabbed the handlebars, where the speed control was located. Accidentally, the doomed craft picked up speed.

Tony McCarron lost control of the jet-ski, which by now was headed directly at a pier. With one arm, Tony flung AJ's cousin off the back of the boat; with the other, he tossed AJ, hopefully out of harm's way.

AJ hit the water and skimmed across it like a stone hopping a pond. "That's when I hit the pier with the left side of my face,'' AJ says.

He tells the story from the memories of others. He wound up floating face down, the left side of his crushed. His left eye "was hanging by a tendon,'' he says.

Not long after the ambulance got 5-year-old AJ McCarron to the hospital, someone had given his mother a business card, for a grief counselor. She'd decided AJ would be buried in his baseball uniform.

Only, he didn't die. Doctors opened his head and, in layman's terms, pushed the skull back into place, before beginning the long process of surgically piecing the bones back together. The prognosis was awful: Life in a vegetative state.

But it kept improving: AJ would be blind and mentally disabled. AJ would see, but be mentally disabled. AJ would see and would not be impacted mentally, but wouldn't play sports for at least a year.

This was August. By the spring of '97, AJ was playing baseball...

jbcarol

... Charles Russell's SEC Championship Ring

Former Alabama forward Charles "Boonie" Russell was with his old teammates celebrating the 40th anniversary of their 1974 SEC championship during the Alabama-Auburn game earlier this year when Russell was approached by a woman from the stands.

The 6-foot-4 Russell helped Alabama to a 22-4 record in 1974 and it was the first of three consecutive SEC championships the Crimson Tide won under former head coach C.M. Newton.

Russell didn't know why 76-year-old Alabama fan Martha Ann Wyatt was approaching him.

Quote"I have something that belongs to you," Martha Ann Wyatt said.

Russell didn't know what to say. He had no idea what she was talking about.

"I have your SEC championship ring," she said. "I want you to have it back. I want to give it to you."

Russell hadn't seen that ring since the late 1970s, when he loaned it to a friend who needed money. The plan was that the friend would pawn it, then buy it back out of hock and return it.

Before that happened, Russell left the country to begin a 20-year career playing basketball in South and Central America. By the time he returned, the ring was long gone.

Wyatt is a collector of Bama sports memorabilia and was true to her word.

jbcarol

... Dameyune Craig

Dameyune Craig enters Mobile Sports Hall of Fame on anniversary of historic performance

QuoteThe two-time state championship quarterback at Blount High School thought back to May 22, 1999.

"I would have been in NFL Europe," he surmised. "That's not the day I threw for 600 yards, was it?"

Yes, it was. And it was a pro football-record 611 yards, to be precise.

"Let me mark this date down," Craig said after his suspicion was confirmed. "This must be good luck for me."

After a record-setting collegiate career at Auburn, Craig was trying to make it in the NFL with the Carolina Panthers, who sent him to play for the Scottish Claymores in NFL Europe.

jbcarol

... Kodi Burns

http://samfordsports.com/staff.aspx?staff=277

Kodi Burns begins his first season as an assistant coach on the Samford football staff. Burns will coach the Samford running backs...

jbcarol

... Keith McCants

Greg Auman @gregauman  ·  2m
More legal troubles for former Bucs players Keith McCants and Chidi Ahanotu, both in jail today after new arrests. http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/ex-bucs-players-mccants-ahanotu-arrested ...

QuoteMcCants, 46, was arrested Thursday on charges of possession of drug paraphernalia and driving with a suspended license, marking his fifth Tampa-area arrest in the last four years. He had two arrests on possession of cocaine charges in Pinellas County in 2010 and 2011, and has had other drug-related arrests in other states as well. McCants was the fourth overall pick in the 1990 draft, but played only three seasons in Tampa Bay, playing sparingly in three more seasons around the NFL.

jbcarol

... Marcell Dareus

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  Jun 2
Former Alabama DE Marcell Dareus arrested for a second time in a month http://ow.ly/xy7qN

QuoteThe most recent incident resulted in three misdemeanors and four traffic violations, the Buffalo News reported Monday afternoon. The charges resulted from alleged street racing in Buffalo, where Dareus plays for the Bills.

Dareus was arrested Friday afternoon after being accused of leaving the scene where of an accident with property damage (sic).

Back on May 5 in Alabama, Dareus was arrested for felony possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. Police confirmed to AL.com he substance in question was "spice" or synthetic marijuana.

The arrest came after being stopped for speeding on Interstate 20 at Exit 210 in Cleburne County.

jbcarol

... Rich Wingo

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  55m
Rich Wingo helped famous Tide goal-line stand, now elected to Alabama legislature http://ow.ly/xCM6X

QuoteA linebacker in the 1979 Sugar Bowl goal-line stand, Wingo won the Republican primary for the state House of Representatives, District 62. Since there's no Democratic challenger, Wingo effectively won his seat in Montgomery on Tuesday night.

He took 74 percent of the vote over Jamey Clements with 2,543 ballots cast for Wingo.

The district covers the eastern portion of Tuscaloosa County.

(BERNARD TRONCALE)

jbcarol

... UK's basketball gear on an early '90's trip to Auburn

Cats win game but lose shirts on Auburn trip

QuoteCougar Town's Josh Hopkins and some of his buddies lifted a few of UK's warm-up shirts and "gear" from the visiting locker room while attending Auburn 20+ years ago. The mystery, which was chronicled below in a newspaper article, apparently really happened. And Hopkins revealed the truth behind the mystery on a radio show Wednesday, confessing to the act.

Note that Pelphrey was going to be honored for something.

jbcarol

... Tim Couch

Tim Couch @timcouchtv  ·  Jun 7
I won my first Emmy Award tonight! Thanks to all the great people I work with @FOXSportsSouth

Retweeted by Tim Couch
JLoyall @WilliamsJohnM  ·  Jun 5
Rolling out of Hyden KY @timcouchtv

jbcarol

... Champ Bailey

Glenn Guilbeau @LSUBeatTweet  ·  10h
LSU FANS REMEMBER NEW SAINT CHAMP BAILEY: http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/nfl/saints/2014/06/11/saints-bailey-in-comfort-zone/10355019/ ...

QuoteMETAIRIE – Apparently, LSU fans never forget.

It has been nearly 16 years since a Georgia wide receiver named Champ Bailey riddled the Tigers' secondary to the tune of seven receptions for 114 yards and a 17-yard touchdown in a 28-27 victory on Oct. 3, 1998, in Tiger Stadium. Both teams were 3-0 overall and 1-0 in the Southeastern Conference. LSU was No. 6 in the nation and apparently on its way to a fourth straight winning season and fourth straight bowl under Coach Gerry DiNardo. Georgia was No. 12 under Coach Jim Donnan, who was coming off a 10-2 season.

"I think you can do great things without forcing turnovers, but it won't help you win the big game," said Bailey, who played in the Super Bowl last season with Denver before signing a two-year contract with New Orleans for $7 million.

The Saints finished fourth in the NFL last season in fewest yards allowed a game with 305.7 under defensive coordinator Rob Ryan in his first year in New Orleans.

"I know we had a top five defense last year here, but turnovers weren't there," Bailey said. "That's something we've been talking about all off-season. We want to definitely improve on that."

Bailey has 52 interceptions in his career and nine forced fumbles. He finished tied for first in the NFL in interceptions in 2005 with 10.

Quincy Carter also signed as a free agent.

jbcarol

... Jeremiah Masoli

Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Jeremiah Masoli – Ole Miss – QB
Ted Laurent – Ole Miss – DT

QuoteThere are a total of 13 players who competed at Mississippi colleges who are currently battling for roster spots in the Canadian Football League.

CFL teams conducted their first major cuts on Sunday before the league enters the final week of the preseason. The final cuts will take place on Saturday with the regular season starting on June 26.

jbcarol

... Janzen Jackson

Evan Woodbery @TennesseeBeat  ·  45m
Former Vol Janzen Jackson, once an elite recruit, has been in jail since last September on murder charges. Story: http://bit.ly/1oC5gZS

QuoteFormer Tennessee defensive back Janzen Jackson, once one of the nation's top football prospects, has been in jail since last September on $1 million bond for allegedly murdering a man who was staying with his mother in California...

Jackson was an elite safety prospect out of Lake Charles, La., who signed with the Vols in 2009. He was arrested on suspicion of armed robbery during his freshman year, but charges were dropped. He was reinstated to the team and started all 13 games in 2010, but was dismissed in 2011 for undisclosed disciplinary reasons.

He finished his career at McNeese State...

Jackson's father is McNeese State defensive coordinator Lance Guidry.

Accused of strangling Herrera and leaving his body in the trunk of a car.

jbcarol

June 21, 2014, 09:01:41 am #322 Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:38:59 am by jbcarol
... Philip Lutzenkirchen

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  Jun 18
Former #Auburn star Philip @Lutzenkirchen making successful transition from player to coach http://ow.ly/ybULb

QuoteThe former Auburn tight end has returned to the gridiron by volunteering as an assistant coach at St. James in Montgomery since May 1.

"They're running what (Gus) Malzahn runs, so I'm helping out with the tight ends and fullbacks," Lutzenkirchen told AL.com. "It's good, I'm really enjoying it. We have a great group of kids at St. James. There's not a whole lot to do in Montgomery and I wanted to get back involved with sports."

Lutzenkirchen saw his collegiate career end after suffering a major hip injury against Ole Miss in 2012. He signed a free agent contract with the St. Louis in April 2013, but was released four months later due to the lingering injury that eventually required surgery.

He's worked at a wealth management company in Montgomery ever since and was recently approached by St. James head coach Jimmy Perry about the coaching position.

"I missed (football) a lot," he said.

Update:
AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  47m
Auburn great Philip Lutzenkirchen killed in car accident. http://ow.ly/yzEP4

John Talty @JTalty  ·  21h
Last photo I took on my phone is this one of Lutzenkirchen. So sad.

jbcarol

... Stephen Garcia

GoGamecocks.com @gogamecocks  ·  12h
Stephen Garcia signs with Saturday Down South http://scne.ws/64zBgj  #gg

QuoteSaturday Down South on Sunday revealed via Twitter that it was bringing Garcia on board later in the summer. SDS did not say exactly what Garcia's role will be, but it was suggested he will provide analysis for the site.

Garcia finished his Gamecocks career with 7,597 passing yards - third-most in school history.

The Arena Football League's Tampa Bay Storm acquired Garcia in January. He has played in two games, completing one pass for six yards and throwing an interception.

Garcia was a standout at Jefferson High in Tampa.

jbcarol

... Bob Gain

Gain was the best offensive lineman in America in 1950, with an Outland Trophy to prove it (the greatest award a UK player has ever earned).  With future Hall of Famer Babe Parilli at quarterback, Bear's Wildcats were nearly untouchable with a 10-1 record and a 13-7 victory over Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

QuoteGain's goal in 1950 was to make sure Kentucky's Babe was untouchable, vowing to his QB that he would never hit the ground.  "The girls always 'ohed and ahd' at him in his clean, white uniform," Gain said.  "The only time it ever got dirty was because he slipped.  Even then, all he got was a little grass stain on his knee."

As a Pro Bowl defensive tackle for the Cleveland Browns, he took over for an injured Lou Groza (now known for having a "Best Kicker in America" trophy named after him) and didn't miss a PAT.

He has stayed in the Cleveland area where he has watched his family grow over the years.  After 62 years of marriage, he and his wife Kitty celebrated an anniversary and Gain's 85th birthday Saturday...

UK

jbcarol

... Herschel Walker

Herschel Walker energizes crowd in other Athens

ATHENS, Tenn. — Taking the stage inside the McMinn County High School gym, just about an hour from where he introduced himself to the college football world by sending Bill Bates to his backside on the Neyland Stadium turf, Herschel Walker proved he can still energize a crowd.

Walker was the guest speaker for the annual Athens Area Chamber of Commerce dinner.

QuoteA physical specimen even in his 50s and one of those rare athletes identified simply by his first name, Herschel posed for pictures and signed autographs before he stood at the podium, and when one mid-20s girl asked her friend if she got his autograph, the reply was simple, "No, I just asked him if I could touch his abs."

He spoke not only about his playing career but also detailed how his faith helped him heal from the well-publicized struggle he had with multiple personality disorder, which he said he believed started when he began suppressing his anger after being bullied as a child.

"Life will knock you down," Walker told the crowd. "But it's never too late to get up. Look at me, young people. If you can dream it, you can do it. You just have to be willing to work for whatever your dreams are."

"I was about 10 or 11 when I watched him run over Bill Bates and then diving over the pile in the Sugar Bowl," said Dalton resident Mark Wooten, a 1993 UGA grad. "I loved watching him and the Dawgs ever since, and that's one of the reasons I wound up going to Georgia.

"My wife went to Auburn when Bo Jackson played there, so our house is divided over who was the best player. For me, Herschel will always be the man, the myth, the legend."

jbcarol

... Jacques McClendon

An offensive lineman from Cleveland, Tenn., McClendon played for the Vols from 2006-2009.

Now, McClendon is preparing for second season with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Every day you just wake up and pinch yourself and see if you're going to wake up," McClendon said.

Quote"You don't have to rebuild Tennessee. All you have to do is reach back in what has already been built," said McClendon.

"I think we have the right guy leading us and I think he's going to be very successful, McClendon said. "We just have to be patient with him and let him intact his system and keep progressing."

jbcarol

... Kim English

Austin Kim ‏@AustinKKim 10h
While waiting for his next NBA shot, former #Mizzou guard @Englishscope24 leads youth basketball camp in Columbia. http://www.abc17news.com/sports/kim-english-looking-for-nba-home/26720278 ...

jbcarol

...Rolando McClain

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  6h
RT @AMarkG1: Ex-Decatur/@AlabamaFTBL star Rolando McClain could wind up @nfl starter again with the @dallascowboys. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/07/if_rolando_mcclain_is_ready_to.html ...

Former Alabama All-American Rolando McClain is joining the Dallas Cowboys. What's to keep him from becoming a starting middle linebacker in the NFL again?

Besides himself, of course.

Two NFL retirements and three arrests before turning 25 after being the No. 8 pick in the 2010 draft naturally raise questions about McClain's dedication and reliability. His agent, Pat Dye Jr., said his client is serious about making a go of it with the Cowboys.

jbcarol

... James Franklin

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  6h
Congrats to former Missouri quarterbacks Chase Daniel & James Franklin. Both getting married today.

jbcarol

... Cassen Jackson-Garrison

Former Vanderbilt running back Cassen Jackson-Garrison was released from the hospital Tuesday after being injured in a wreck Sunday.

Jackson-Garrison, 29, an Oak Ridge police officer, was answering a call when the accident occurred. While trying to clear a four-lane intersection at a red light with his emergency lights and siren activated, Jackson-Garrison was struck from the side by a vehicle.

He was rushed by ambulance to the University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville.

QuoteHe suffered a severe concussion and is still unable to walk on his own and remains nauseous.

"It's my first concussion; I never had one playing football," Jackson-Garrison said. "My motto was always to try to give the lick before it comes to me. I'm still in pain, I have a lot of dizziness, and I'm not really eating much."

No charges have been filed; the other driver and her passenger were not injured.

Jackson-Garrison is tied for ninth on Vanderbilt's career rushing list with 1,814 yards.

jbcarol

... Big Baby

Randy Rosetta @RandyRosetta  ·  6h
Former #LSU hoops star Glen Davis will tour Baton Rouge for 'Booking with Big Baby' http://s.nola.com/SBchThV  via @nolanews

QuoteFormer LSU basketball star Glen 'Big Baby' Davis and his foundation are partnering with the East Baton Rouge Parish Library System for 'Booking it With Baby,' a literacy tour Thursday through Saturday.

The Baton Rouge native will travel throughout the city on the mobile library unit to deliver books and promote literacy with a goal of creating awareness of the positive impact reading has on youth.

Following the tour stops on Friday, the foundation will host the second annual 'Bowling with Baby' tournament and fundraiser at Quarters on Sherwood Boulevard...

Davis averaged 12 and 6 last season for Orlando.

jbcarol

... Junction Boys

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  Jul 8
Really cool, Junction Boys holding 60th Reunion in, you guessed it, Junction, including an event open to public: http://www.junctiontexas.com/things-to-do/junction-boys/ ...

jbcarol

... Peyton Manning

When the NFL Network revealed the top finishers on its player-selected 2014 NFL Top 100 on Wednesday night, Peyton Manning claimed No. 1.

Quote"He really is an offensive coordinator that can throw a football. That's cheating." – Rashad Jennings, Giants running back

"Peyton Manning equals the best. There's really nothing else today. There's no argument about it. He's the best in the NFL right now." Tyrann Mathieu, Cardinals defensive back

jbcarol

... Josh Harrellson (Jorts)

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  Jul 12

Josh Harrellson told to look for another team by the Detroit Pistons: http://is.gd/SVjFes

jbcarol

... Chris Richard

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  12h
Former Gator Richard takes on gang violence in hometown: Chris Richard has been back in his hometown of Lakeland... http://bit.ly/1nmMt3l

jbcarol

... Tig Barksdale

Ben Garrett @SpiritBen  ·  Jul 22

Heppin'. RT @TDARaginCajuns: UL coach Mark Hudspeth: senior LB Tig Barksdale has been released from his scholarship & will not play in 2014.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on June 08, 2014, 06:59:24 am
... UK's basketball gear on an early '90's trip to Auburn

Cats win game but lose shirts on Auburn trip

Note that Pelphrey was going to be honored for something.

Haha! I know an Arkansan that has a Phi Slamma Jamma warmup jacket.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

... Pouncey twins

Gatorsports.com @Gator_sports  ·  3h
Three sue Pounceys over alleged fight at nightclub http://bit.ly/1npW3BB

QuoteNFL offensive linemen Mike and Maurkice Pouncey have been sued by three people who say the twin brothers attacked them at a Miami Beach nightclub. ...

jbcarol

... Vick Ballard

Eye on Football @EyeOnNFL  ·  Jul 25
Colts RB Vick Ballard reportedly out for the season after suffering a torn Achilles in practice: http://cbsprt.co/1nHvRU8

jbcarol

... Charles Barkley

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  5h
Charles Barkley offered to pay funeral costs for three children killed in Philadelphia carjacking incident http://ow.ly/zGd10

jbcarol

... Rod Rhodes

Quote from: jbcarol on June 03, 2012, 07:01:46 am
Whatever happened to the player who broke down after missing key free throws late in the SEC Championship Game against Arkansas and was "optioned" to USC

QuoteRodrick Rhodes laughs when asked what he learned in his first season coaching high school basketball coach at tiny Cordia in Eastern Kentucky.

Rhodes did not work a competitive miracle at Cordia (some 300 students in grades K-12), a school that has not won a game in the 14th Region Tournament in this century.

Alice Whitaker, the director of the Cordia school, says having Rhodes in the Lotts Creek community "has been wonderful. Totally great. He's added a wonderful dimension to our community. He's well-respected and accepted in our community. And I believe he's brought us some much-needed diversity. I believe we've added four or five minority students that wouldn't be here if it weren't for Rodrick."

Rhodes wound up serving a four-game suspension this season after getting thrown out of two different games.

"In one of them, our 6-foot-5 kid (Chris Hudson) was up in the air and got clotheslined," Rhodes said. "I went out on the court trying to protect my player and I guess in the opinion of the (referees) I went too far."

The other case where he got tossed, a woman who had asked him to sign an autograph for her grandson before the game, asked him again and said she would not be able to wait until after the contest ended.

"I'm coaching and I want to be focused (on the game) but I didn't want to say no, so I was signing that," Rhodes said. "Well, (while) I'm doing that, they started the game back up and I got teed up again for being up. It was crazy."

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  19h
Cordia High School given the Death Penalty by KHSAA for a number of violations. Coached by former Cat Roderick Rhodes

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  18h
KHSAA says Cordia rules violations "may well represent the most wanton and blatant disregard for Association rules in its 97 year history"

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Charlotte Hornets        ✔ @hornets
A day of giving for @MKG14 today as he joins @Samaritans_Feet to wash kids' feet and donate shoes!
11:40 AM - 9 Aug 2014

Samaritan's Feet @Samaritans_Feet
Thank you @MKG14 of the @hornets for joining us to wash feet & give shoes to kids in CLT! #shoesofhope #buzzcity
10:47 AM - 9 Aug 2014

jbcarol

... Murphy Holloway

Parrish Alford @parrishalford  ·  Aug
Good Q-and-A here as @OxfordCitizenJD visits with former #OleMiss basketball player Murphy Holloway. http://oxfordcitizen.com/2014/08/07/former-rebel-hoopster-holloway-gives-back-camp/ ...

QuoteFormer Ole Miss basketball standout Murphy Holloway was back in Oxford this past weekend hosting his Grind Time basketball camp.

Davis: What about your future now? What's the next step for you after this camp is over?
Holloway: After this camp is over, I'm going to make a decision on if I'm going to go back to Israel and play for a different team or go to Italy. I think it's pretty much my route to be overseas. It's been good to me.

Davis: What was it like to play with the Tel Aviv team like you did last season?
Holloway: It was nice to play over there. The competition level isn't as good as college, just being honest, in Israel. In Spain, the level is very, very high.

Davis: Where does Israel rank as far as basketball leagues in the world?
Holloway: I would say that the NBA is first. Spain is second. Probably Italy is third. I would say it's around fifth because Turkey is probably fourth.

jbcarol

... Tasmin Mitchell

Randy Rosetta @RandyRosetta  ·  2h
Former LSU star Tasmin Mitchell is still chasing his basketball dream http://s.nola.com/wkE4ckm  via @nolanews

QuoteThere will be life after basketball whenever former LSU star Tasmin Mitchell is done lacing up his high-top sneakers. That much he has planned out already.

In the meantime, the Denham Springs native and third-leading scorer in Tigers' history is making sure he makes the best living that he possibly can.

Yes, the 6-foot-7 thickly-built forward is still alive and well, his basketball career still headed toward a peak.

That might be news to even the most rabid LSU basketball fans. Because Mitchell, who played on two of the best teams in recent program history and also toiled on two that struggled mightily, is grinding away outside of the normal spotlight of pro basketball.

For the last three years Mitchell has played overseas - first in Israel, then in Moscow and back to Israel last season.

Far from the spotlight of the NBA, but exactly where Mitchell wants to be, which is still on the basketball court.

"It was a shock at first going over there, but I have been doing what I love and playing professional basketball and that makes it worth it," Mitchell said.

"Last year was one of my best years, so I feel like I'm growing into the kind of pro I can be for a long time."

How long? Could be several more years.

In a memorable four-year career (he redshirted in 2007-08), Mitchell played more minute than any player in program history (4,692), scored 1,989 points, third behind only Pete Maravich (3,667 points) and Rudy Macklin (2,080) and snared 950 rebounds (sixth all-time).

He hasn't been in the NBA, though, and barring an unlikely change of heart, he likely won't ever be.

"When I finish playing, I would love to come back and coach at my high school, and then later on down the road, I would like to run for mayor of Denham Springs," he said. "That's my city and always will be."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on July 23, 2014, 05:45:34 pm
... Tig Barksdale

Ben Garrett @SpiritBen  ·  Jul 22

Heppin'. RT @TDARaginCajuns: UL coach Mark Hudspeth: senior LB Tig Barksdale has been released from his scholarship & will not play in 2014.

They got a transfer in.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi