Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PG Stevie Clark might graduate early

Started by beasley, May 24, 2012, 12:16:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beasley

Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
Vince Lombardi

SWD26

This would separate him and beard by a couple of years, right?

mhuff

mhuff

RazerAg, have you seen this young man play? I do not know his interest in us ,but he has been on my list for some time. I just can't see us having that many PG's on the team. I am assuming that Beard is a possibility in a couple of years. You're not going to have that many PG's willing to ride the pine and not play. I asked for Gulley's classification. Would someone please tell me that again.... I did not see the response.

Dogtown Donkey

I've been thinking about making a thread about this for a few days.

It's an interesting topic. We have the open spot, but we really need frontcourt players.....like, bad. We're good on guards for now and have Lee coming in next year. But this kid, from everything that's been written about him, appears to be one of the top (if not THE top) long range shooters in HS basketball right now. I think he would be a good get right now, even though we need bigs. I think he's much more worthy of a scholarship when you consider overall basketball worth than guys like Dickerson and maybe even Jaiteh.

mhuff, Gulley will be a junior this year and he'll have one year of eligibility after this season.

Here's how are guard numbers breakdown by year:

2012-2013
B.J. Young
Rashad Madden
Mardracus Wade
Rickey Scott
Dee Wagner
Anthlon Bell
Fred Gulley (walk-on)
Davion Spivey (walk-on)

2013-2014
Rashad Madden
Mardracus Wade
Rickey Scott
Dee Wagner
Anthlon Bell
Dederick Lee
Fred Gulley (walk-on)
Davion Spivey (walk-on)

2014-2015
Rashad Madden
Dee Wagner
Anthlon Bell
Dederick Lee
Anton Beard?

I say go after him if he does reclassify. It'll be worth it. Although, I'd only want one of Clark or Dederick Lee, so.....yeah. Lee is an Arkansas boy, but Clark is undoubtedly better and we still need another big body (Kingsley, JW3, Tory Miller, etc.). Of course, you never know who is going to transfer or when they will transfer. We've had junior guards transfer out the last two seasons.

The Boar War

Kind of seems like a knee jerk reaction at this point.  I expect him to go through his senior year and (for whatever reason) sign with OU next year.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The Boar War on May 24, 2012, 09:04:09 am
Kind of seems like a knee jerk reaction at this point.  I expect him to go through his senior year and (for whatever reason) sign with OU next year.

I don't know. Seems pretty close with his coach and his mom has made sure all of his academics are in order with the clearinghouse for some time now. Just depends how he feels about the schools that have spots open.

mhuff

May 24, 2012, 09:21:03 am #7 Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:24:58 am by mhuff
DD. thanks for the plethora of info. I think if there was a fit with Clark another schollie would open up if we could get a big.... To me that HAS to be first priority. I am just assuming that in the 2013 class people will vacate if we can get the right players.

DD, I have changed my thinking from a year ago. I was for biting the bullet and saving schollies for 2013. However, you don't get from point A to point B quickly by standing around with your finger up your nose. I have since stated that MA will not hold schollies normally. His philosophy has been to fill the roster and let the numbers work themselves out each year. Once again, we have asked him to produce a winning product ,and he is attempting to do just that. I believe MA loves the UA and thinks it's his fiduciary duty to bring our program back. I sure wouldn't bet against him doing that. :razorback:

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: mhuff on May 24, 2012, 09:21:03 am
DD. thanks for the plethora of info. I think if there was a fit with Clark anotherschollie would open up if we could get a big.... To me that HAS to be first priority. I am just assuming that in the 2013 class people will vacate if we can get the right players.

DD, I have changed my thinking from a year ago. I was for biting the bullet and saving schollies for 2013. However, you don't get from point A to point B quickly by standing around with your finger up your nose. I have since stated that MA will not hold schollies normally. His philosophy has been to fill the roster and let the numbers work themselves out each year. Once again, we have asked him to produce a winning product ,and he is attempting to do just that. I believe MA loves the UA and thinks it's his fiduciary duty to bring our program back. I sure wouldn't bet against him doing that. :razorback:

I agree, but he has also shown that he will not sign players just to have a full roster. He proved that in his first year when he did not fill the roster out. Ultimately, I'm okay with any player that he decides to bring aboard, even if I'm not impressed. I'm not the guy getting paid 2 million a year to run the basketball program. The numbers are easier to work themselves out these days with so many players transferring for whatever reason (mainly playing time).

mhuff

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on May 24, 2012, 09:28:05 am
I agree, but he has also shown that he will not sign players just to have a full roster. He proved that in his first year when he did not fill the roster out. Ultimately, I'm okay with any player that he decides to bring aboard, even if I'm not impressed. I'm not the guy getting paid 2 million a year to run the basketball program. The numbers are easier to work themselves out these days with so many players transferring for whatever reason (mainly playing time).

Good observation. I was glad we did not get some of the BIGS on the platter this year. I want someone who can rebound and play "D". but I also want someone who can score..... I am kind of picky. He must shoot freethrows decently as well.

Hometown Hero

if he doesn't reclassify, this makes his ou commitment sound a little hollow. i'm not saying ou is a prime destination, but it says something that he was willing to give up a career at ou for one season not playing for his HS coach.