Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CWS (non-Razorback) Discussions and Info Thread

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, June 09, 2015, 01:51:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: razCzar on June 17, 2015, 10:46:22 pm
Yep - Florida's not bad.  Single-handedly eliminated Miami.

25 to 5.  Hard to argue against Gators going all the way.

Where's that ACC idiot at

razCzar

June 18, 2015, 12:15:58 am #101 Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:29:21 am by razCzar

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 17, 2015, 11:38:39 pm
Where's that ACC idiot at

Probably longing for a Virginia win on Friday.

Here is a nice little 4-day old summary that includes SEC's performance in the CWS over the last seven years... and an ACC quote from it.:

SEC in the College World Series
by Josh Barnhill   4d ago
http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2015/06/13/sec-in-the-college-world-series/

"The ACC has two teams in the field (Virginia, Miami) as they try to erase a 60 year national championship drought."

hoglady

Florida is Miami's kryptonite.
It's like Florida takes the field and Miami forgets how to play the game.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PorkRyan

Bregman just made one of the best plays I've ever seen by a college SS

HamIAm

June 18, 2015, 08:45:48 pm #104 Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 09:05:20 pm by HamIAm
The stop was impressive, the throw was better.

video of play https://twitter.com/LSU_Logo/status/611709631140790276

HamIAm

I'd be pretty embarrassed if the umpire had to stop the game to tell Arkansas fans to quit using their phone camera flash to distract the batter.   

razCzar

Bayou Bengals bounced by Horned Frogs, 8-4.

razCzar

Quote from: HamIAm on June 18, 2015, 09:16:45 pm
I'd be pretty embarrassed if the umpire had to stop the game to tell Arkansas fans to quit using their phone camera flash to distract the batter.
Aaron Fitt  2h   Fans all over the stadium are flashing their cell phone lights right now. I don't understand what's happening. Attempt to distract hitter?

Aaron Fitt  1h   Great crowd tonight—26,803. 3rd-largest in TD Ameritrade Park history, 13th-largest in #CWS history. More fans than usual still in park too.

davglo35

jry04

Going to be hard for Florida today against Nathan Kirby, but if they beat Kirby, they will make the finals.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jry04 on June 19, 2015, 08:06:38 am
Going to be hard for Florida today against Nathan Kirby, but if they beat Kirby, they will make the finals.

Won't this be his first action after coming back from injury?

hog.goblin

Quote from: jry04 on June 19, 2015, 08:06:38 am

Don't they have to beat UVA today AND tomorrow?

razCzar

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 19, 2015, 11:08:19 am
Don't they have to beat UVA today AND tomorrow?
Another 10-run affair by the Gators, so they play again at 2pm tomorrow.

GatorHog

Dr. Starcs

I'm not. I think tcu/Florida would be really entertaining.

razCzar

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 19, 2015, 07:26:15 pm
I'm not. I think tcu/Florida would be really entertaining.
Yeah, I'm not either.  But they're up 1-0 and have not lost since to Florida in the SEC CG.  That's seven straight wins.

HamIAm

Vandy on the wrong end of a bad call there.  Runner tags at third and scores to make it 4-0 Vandy with runners on 2nd and 3rd and two out.  TCU throws to third and appeals. Ump says he left early, takes run off the board and ends the inning. Replay shows the ball in the outfielders glove and the runners foot still on third. 

razorJAcker

Quote from: HamIAm on June 19, 2015, 08:18:33 pm
Vandy on the wrong end of a bad call there.  Runner tags at third and scores to make it 4-0 Vandy with runners on 2nd and 3rd and two out.  TCU throws to third and appeals. Ump says he left early, takes run off the board and ends the inning. Replay shows the ball in the outfielders glove and the runners foot still on third.

I'm surprised they didn't really talk about it on the broadcast.  They showed the replay twice and then didn't even mention it when they came back from commercial.  That was a HUGE play.  Took a sure run off the board and Vandy's next hitter singled off the same pitcher.  Could and should be 6-0.

razCzar

The only Saturday game is Florida - Virginia.  Originally scheduled for 2pmCT, CWS Westwood radio now reports it will be at 7pmCT instead.

jbcarol

Chuck Dunlap ‏@SEC_Chuck 10 hours ago

A (sic) SEC team will play in every single game played in Omaha this season - that's never happened before.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jry04

It makes me sick to see UVA 1 win from the championship, when I felt like we should have won game 1. We had their pitcher on the ropes, and just couldn't get that big hit outside of Eagan's clutch double. However, they remind me of our team from 2012 that coasted to the semis, only to lose twice to SC. Very good pitching and average at best hitting.

Razorbacks#1

This Florida vs Virginia game is an awesome display of baseball. Virginia just went up 4-3 in the 5th.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

UF and VA tied @ 4-4 top of the 6th, men on the corners with 1 out for UF
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

GatorHog

CJ HOG

The mo keeps going back & forth it feels like.

Razorbacks#1

4-4 heading to the bottom of the 7th. UVA to the plate.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

5-4 UVA, still bottom of the 7th, new pitcher in for UF, runners on the corners for UVA with 2 outs

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

SPAL

Razorbacks#1

5-4 UVA heading to the bottom of the 8th. UVA up to bat.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

5-4 UVA, heading to the top of the 9th, UF last chance to make it an all SEC final

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

UF with some life with a base hit up the middle, 1 on, 2 out
5-4 UVA

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

Game over: 5-4 UVA
Finals: Vanderbilt vs Virginia

THUNDER!

CJ HOG

bulldog04

SPAL

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops  7h7 hours ago Omaha, NE
Gators finished w/run differential of plus-23 (39-16) in #CWS but were doomed by pair of 1-run losses to Virginia. That's baseball, folks.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Adam Sparks ‏@AdamSparks  9h9 hours ago
.@VandyBaseball's Rhett Wiseman takes one to jugular, returns the favor. http://tnne.ws/1FtfWMf 

Rhett Wiseman went numb, then blasted a HR.

Vandy Baseball ‏@VandyBaseball  18h18 hours ago
The morning after... Rhett's sore but will be ok. #seams

Harrison Lee ‏@HarrisonCLee  9h9 hours ago
Harrison Lee retweeted Adam Sparks
Best headline of the college baseball season. 

PorkRyan

Florida was smashing the ball, yet O'Sullivan elected to try and play small twice in the early parts of the game.  Took the bat out of the hands of a first round pick in the 3rd inning up 2-1 with all of his big sticks coming up and micromanaged their way out of the inning.  I love DVH, but he is guilty of it as well.  Fullerton, Arkansas, and Florida all made some very questionable bunt decisions and all three are at home.   

jry04

Quote from: PorkRyan on June 21, 2015, 11:00:39 am
Florida was smashing the ball, yet O'Sullivan elected to try and play small twice in the early parts of the game.  Took the bat out of the hands of a first round pick in the 3rd inning up 2-1 with all of his big sticks coming up and micromanaged their way out of the inning.  I love DVH, but he is guilty of it as well.  Fullerton, Arkansas, and Florida all made some very questionable bunt decisions and all three are at home.   
The decision to bunt for DVH was far from questionable. A .280 hitter with 1st and 2nd 0 outs? Just about any coach in the country would bunt in that situation. The execution was poor, but the decision was the right decision given the circumstances.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jry04 on June 21, 2015, 11:41:10 am
The decision to bunt for DVH was far from questionable. A .280 hitter with 1st and 2nd 0 outs? Just about any coach in the country would bunt in that situation. The execution was poor, but the decision was the right decision given the circumstances.

Exactly.  1st and 2nd with 0 outs the odds drastically increase to plate a run actually with 2nd and 3rd and one out.  DVH played the game right.

PorkRyan

Quote from: jry04 on June 21, 2015, 11:41:10 am

Runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs and the runner scores 64% of the time.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out and the runner scores 71% of the time.  That is not a drastic difference. 

GatorHog

Quote from: PorkRyan on June 21, 2015, 12:57:26 pm
Runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs and the runner scores 64% of the time.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out and the runner scores 71% of the time.  That is not a drastic difference.

Putting the odds closer in your favor isn't really "very questionable" though.  One advantage is taking away the DP for not only Bernal, but the guy behind him. 

onebadrubi

That's the difference in getting a high school diploma or bachelors degree though...

I like that play, it's the game within a game that is correct at that part of the lineup.  Go look at the percentage of scoring a run with 2 outs and a guy at 3rd.  We really needed one run there.

SPAL

Clearly the right call and to question otherwise shows a lack of understanding.

If you could pay 100 dollars to increase your odds of winning the lottery from 60 to 70%, wouldn't u do it?

Big Nasty 34

Not to mention the high chance of a DP ball

PorkRyan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 21, 2015, 05:59:16 pm
Clearly the right call and to question otherwise shows a lack of understanding.

If you could pay 100 dollars to increase your odds of winning the lottery from 60 to 70%, wouldn't u do it?

I doubt the numbers look very good if you factor in that you are bunting with a .280 hitter who has a very low percentage of successful bunts with a .200 hitter on deck.  We can argue that all day and we can both make points for our side. 

Moving on, what do you think about Florida bunting in the 3rd inning with a 1st rounder?