Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 MLB Draft thread

Started by JHicks3636, June 07, 2015, 09:00:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

June 07, 2015, 09:00:03 pm Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 03:23:50 pm by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
It will take 3 days to complete. By late Wednesday night, we might have a much better idea of what next year's team will look like.

The draft begins 6/8/15 at 6pm Central time. The draft will take place at MLB Studios in Secaucus, NJ. Tonight will feature 75 picks through 2 rounds and Competitive Round B. Tomorrow will feature rounds 3-10. Sunday will see rounds 11-40.

Matt1224

I think it's pretty much a given that we will have to replace all our OF from the Super Regional.  Wernes/Bernal/Killian are the ones (to me) that are the question marks.

Big Nasty 34

Question for UCA, sorry if you've posted elsewhere, but who are the commits that we should worry about getting drafted too high?

Dr. Starcs

Killian said after the game this is probably his last year.

Scott7703

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 07, 2015, 11:19:03 pm
Killian said after the game this is probably his last year.

I sure hope he reconsiders this. In my opinion, a dominant year next year for the hogs would really help his pocket book

Scott7703

Quote from: Matt1224 on June 07, 2015, 10:34:52 pm
I think it's pretty much a given that we will have to replace all our OF from the Super Regional.  Wernes/Bernal/Killian are the ones (to me) that are the question marks.

I could see both infielders leaving. They both improved there numbers dramatically from last year so I wouldn't be shocked to see them sign.

SPAL

I'm going top 5 of...

Stephenson
Swanson
Rodgers
Bregman
Jay

Kevin

Just don't see any of our guys outside of Benny being drafted high enough to make any kind of decent bonus money.   Spoon maybe

So if they leave, they must just feel like it is time to go.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 07, 2015, 10:44:40 pm
Question for UCA, sorry if you've posted elsewhere, but who are the commits that we should worry about getting drafted too high?
Really have no idea.  Just don't think there is that draft risk like we normally have, but then again, I haven't been able to get up with is as much as in the past.

Big Nasty 34

Thanks UCA. Always nice to see recruits get drafted and make it to campus.

SPAL

I admit I'm not even close to being in the same class as UCA as far as baseball recruiting and draft potential, but in my opinion, our class lacks the mega  hype that some of them have had. I see a bunch of solid contributors, but no real superstars.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 08, 2015, 08:17:26 am
I admit I'm not even close to being in the same class as UCA as far as baseball recruiting and draft potential, but in my opinion, our class lacks the mega  hype that some of them have had. I see a bunch of solid contributors, but no real superstars.
Schlesener strikes me as a potential superstar with a low 90s fastball right now and two potential plus off speed pitches, but I agree with you, just not a ton of big name prospects in this class like we are used to getting.

ucahogfan

One class to keep an eye on would be Mississippi State. It is currently the #3 class according to PG, but it could make or break the struggling program depending on how many top guys they get.

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 08, 2015, 09:45:11 am
One class to keep an eye on would be Mississippi State. It is currently the #3 class according to PG, but it could make or break the struggling program depending on how many top guys they get.
I have not kept up with recruiting hardly at all this season. Is this list not up to date?

http://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/CollegeCommits.aspx?ID=1758&g=2015

I thought we had quite a few LHP coming in.

I noticed the hogville recruiting thread looks considerably different. It also seems odd that we always have a top 15 class, with many being top 5, but this year PG has us currently sitting at #70.

hawgcraZ

This class reminds me of the astin/Moore/Suggs group.  Outside of Stanek no front liners but all went on to be huge for us on the mound.  A lot of Arkansas homegrown guys on the bump this year just like that class.

It looks like on paper we are staggering the 11.7 scholarships to one high profile class every other year in an attempt to keep more of the top talent with higher scholly offers.  The 2016 class may end up being better than the big class last year.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hawgcraZ on June 08, 2015, 10:06:35 am
This class reminds me of the astin/Moore/Suggs group.  Outside of Stanek no front liners but all went on to be huge for us on the mound.  A lot of Arkansas homegrown guys on the bump this year just like that class.

It looks like on paper we are staggering the 11.7 scholarships to one high profile class every other year in an attempt to keep more of the top talent with higher scholly offers.  The 2016 class may end up being better than the big class last year.
The majority of that 2010 class were big time recruits.  Suggs was a top 200 player while Astin and Moore were around the top 300.  This current recruiting class doesn't really have anyone ranked in there range right now from my knowledge.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on June 08, 2015, 09:53:05 am
I have not kept up with recruiting hardly at all this season. Is this list not up to date?

http://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/CollegeCommits.aspx?ID=1758&g=2015

I thought we had quite a few LHP coming in.

I noticed the hogville recruiting thread looks considerably different. It also seems odd that we always have a top 15 class, with many being top 5, but this year PG has us currently sitting at #70.
The recruiting thread here is probably the most up to date commitment list you will find for baseball.  This class probably won't crack any top 25 lists, but should provide some solid role players to back up the stars in 2014 and 2016.

SPAL

Does AB remind anybody else of Jacoby Ellsbury?

Kevin

i hope benny has a great day. then he can relax, and gets some hits in omaha
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Scott7703

How many of our current guys do you all expect to get drafted overall?

I'm thinking:

Benny
Spoon
Wernes
Bernal
Killian
And even though DVH made it sound like Serrano wasn't expecting to be picked I really feel like and really hope someone gives him a look.

RyeHogFan

Are we gonna have an official draft thread? I always enjoy those and I won't be able to watch most of the draft.

SPAL

Quote from: RyeHogFan on June 08, 2015, 11:35:31 am
Are we gonna have an official draft thread? I always enjoy those and I won't be able to watch most of the draft.

Don't see why not

JHicks3636

The draft begins 6/8/15 at 6pm Central time. The draft will take place at MLB Studios in Secaucus, NJ. Tonight will feature 75 picks through 2 rounds and Competitive Round B. Tomorrow will feature rounds 3-10. Sunday will see rounds 11-40.

ucahogfan

Does anyone know anything about Ben Madison from Bauxite?  He is a top 500 draft prospect according to BA, but I don't know if he has signed to play college ball anywhere.

ucahogfan

Found out something interesting just now looking at BA's oldest and youngest players in this draft.  Michael Freeman from Oklahoma State was born in 1991 and is 23 which makes him at least a couple years older than just about everyone he played against.  No wonder his ERA was so low.

ucahogfan

Reading BA's final mock draft, it looks like Benintendi could come off the board at 2 and won't make it to the Cubs at 9.  They predicted him to the Astros at 5.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 08, 2015, 12:16:46 pm
Reading BA's final mock draft, it looks like Benintendi could come off the board at 2 and won't make it to the Cubs at 9.  They predicted him to the Astros at 5.
If he makes it to the BoSox they will take him IMO.  They like them Hogs

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 08, 2015, 12:08:44 pm
Does anyone know anything about Ben Madison from Bauxite?  He is a top 500 draft prospect according to BA, but I don't know if he has signed to play college ball anywhere.
He's a very good athlete that pitches.  Runs a 6.5 and works 87-90.  I'm guessing grades are an issue because I don't see why he isn't committee anywhere.  A coach told me he is a better athlete than Pettway

SPAL

BroyledNutts

Swanson, I'd guess will go 1/1....he's the overwhelming hype choice.

I'll say this - if they go with the hype, it will be Swanson...it would not surprise me, however, to see a pitcher go 1/1

Kevin

dansby is going #1

i just went back at looked at our signing classes in the past, man, some of those kids made a big mistake going pro. a couple are already done, and just 22 & 23

so my question, if you are a below 15th round selection, and have college eligibility left, come back & enjoy playing baseball, or go, with the greater possibility of being done within a year

HF#1

Benny will go to the Red Sox or Cubs..
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogman64

This has no doubt  been discussed more than once but sorry I haven't seen it, can someone can give me a quick version of why Pagnozzi is going to Ole Miss and not the Hogs?    thanks.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hogman64 on June 08, 2015, 01:51:15 pm
This has no doubt  been discussed more than once but sorry I haven't seen it, can someone can give me a quick version of why Pagnozzi is going to Ole Miss and not the Hogs?    thanks.

He wants to go somewhere that he is not under his Dad's shadow.  His Dad feels like it would be good for him to go away from home.  Feels like it will help him grow up and stand on his own two feet.
Retired Radio Host

hogman64

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on June 08, 2015, 02:01:16 pm
He wants to go somewhere that he is not under his Dad's shadow.  His Dad feels like it would be good for him to go away from home.  Feels like it will help him grow up and stand on his own two feet.

appreciate the info......

BroyledNutts

As of today at 2pm, MLB.com has Benni either #5 to the Astros, or #7 to the Red Sox, depending on which analyst you choose....

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/129269966/shortstops-remain-atop-latest-mock-draft

HogWall Jackson

June 08, 2015, 03:05:40 pm #36 Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 03:48:07 pm by HogWall Jackson
Houston has both the #2 and #5 Selections in the 1st Round. Talk in Houston is Bregman, SS from LSU is the #2 Pick and Andrew Benintendi may well be that #5 Pick. That is talk on the Station that originates Astro Broadcasts. Again it is just a possibility now but we will know tonight.

No matter where Andrew goes he looks like a solid Major League Prospect. #5 would be great for him money wise too.

I was just trying to provide HOGVILLE with a potential SCOOP and Plug our STAR Player. I guess you are correct and not wanting any direct information. My Appologies to everyone.

HF#1

I think he'll end up in Boston or Chicago.  But 5 could happen I suppose.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on June 08, 2015, 03:05:40 pm
Houston has both the #2 and #5 Selections in the 1st Round. Talk in Houston is Bregman, SS from LSU is the #2 Pick and Andrew Benintendi may well be that #5 Pick. That is talk on the Station that originates Astro Broadcasts. Again it is just a possibility now but we will know tonight.

No matter where Andrew goes he looks like a solid Major League Prospect. #5 would be great for him money wise too.

Last Post I make here about any Arkansas Player mentioned from the Home Network of a Team with a potential scoop. It was a mistake just please delete it.

Matt1224

1/1 I have Swanson
1/2 Bregman

I have Benny Baseball going to the Red Sox.  I don't see him going higher than that after the Super Regionals.  The one knock I've read on him is that the big power jump is leaving teams trying to project if that's there to stay once he switches to a wood bat.  I'm a Cubs fan and would LOOOOOVE to see him fall to us.  But I don't see him getting past the BoSox...unless they opt for the kid out of Cincy.

hogfan14

Lot of Benintendi talk around the 27 minute mark  :razorback:

http://media.baseballamerica.com/mp3/free/150608.mp3

Sueie

Quote from: Kevin on June 08, 2015, 01:47:28 pm
dansby is going #1

i just went back at looked at our signing classes in the past, man, some of those kids made a big mistake going pro. a couple are already done, and just 22 & 23 

Who?

so my question, if you are a below 15th round selection, and have college eligibility left, come back & enjoy playing baseball, or go, with the greater possibility of being done within a year

WHO is already done?
Because a Senior will be offered 5,000 instead of 50,000 to sign.

Sueie

I think Benny, Killian and "POSSIBLY" Spoon will be the only ones drafted.  Might add Lowery but that would be it.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sueie on June 08, 2015, 04:57:12 pm
I think Benny, Killian and "POSSIBLY" Spoon will be the only ones drafted.  Might add Lowery but that would be it.
Seriously?  Stone, Bernal, Wernes. McAfee, and Nomura could all be drafted as well.

Sueie

I understand that they COULD be. I just don't think that they will.  Not sure that the Juniors even want to be drafted.

Sueie

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 08, 2015, 05:15:41 pm
Seriously?  Stone, Bernal, Wernes. McAfee, and Nomura could all be drafted as well.

Stone is a testimony of WHY you leave after your Junior year.

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

On the clock, the Arizona Diamondbacks will have the first pick of the draft.

jry04

Quote from: Sueie on June 08, 2015, 05:19:21 pm
Stone is a testimony of WHY you leave after your Junior year.

It all depends on the situation. Stone switched his arm angle this summer, and it didn't work out for him. There are plenty of players who improve their draft stock and get more money by returning for their senior year, though. At least since they re-formatted how the draft is done with regards to money.

JHicks3636

The Arizona Diamondbacks choose:
1. Dansby Swanson, SS, Vandy

Houston has the next pick