Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Recruiting and Beyond

Started by ucahogfan, July 01, 2014, 03:43:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

A couple of articles that talk about the many pitchers we have committed out of the KC area:

This first one talks about the top pitchers in the area including Campbell (2015), Benninghoff (2016), and Lillis (2016) - http://kchighschoolbaseballnotes.com/how-good-is-kc-area-high-school-pitching/

This second one details the top prospects for the 2015 draft out of the area - http://kchighschoolbaseballnotes.com/kansas-city-area-draft-watch/

I really like recruiting the KC area heavily like we are.  They have a ton of talent and we are one of the closest big time programs.

ucahogfan

I've been thinking about this in the past week, but how much easier is it for DVH and Vitello to sell Dominic Fletcher to skip pro ball for a couple of years and come to Arkansas with Benintendi winning SEC POTY?  Both are smaller LH CFs with tools which make them big time guys.  I would say Fletcher probably has a similar set of tools as Benintendi, but the arm is probably a 60-70 grade instead of a 50 grade like Benintendi.  The other good thing is that Fletcher plays big time ball in So Cal so he might not have the learning curve like Benintendi did after playing small school ball in Ohio.

Just look at this potential lineup in 2017 (really projecting far out):

C - Nathan Rodriguez - RS SO - Big time talent who has already been an AS of a collegiate summer league.  He could probably be a .300 hitter with 8-10 HRs for us and be a very high round pick.  He is also an excellent defender who will provide stability behind the plate.

Notable Backup - Ben Rortvedt - FR - Rortvedt is currently a top 100 player in the 2016 class and should see a lot of starts should he make it to campus.  Another excellent defensive guy with a plus arm turning in pop times in the 1.8s, he can also stroke it a little bit.

1B - Chad Spanberger - JR - He has struggled to pick up breaking balls as a freshman, but you can see double digit HR potential in there.  He should be primed for a huge JR senior with a bunch of HRs in the middle of the lineup.

2B - Jaxon Williams - FR - A small guy with big tools and was the first commitment of the 2016 class.  He plays SS in HS and could stick there IMO at Arkansas, but we would need to get his bat in the lineup.

SS - Cole Stobbe - FR - The most talented SS prospect we have had commit to us in a long time.  He is a borderline top 60 prospect in his class with excellent athleticism.  He dominates pitching in Nebraska which is exactly what you want to see out of a player like him, but also has shown up at the ACG Underclass Games last year along with Rortvedt.

Notable Option - Drew Tyler - SO - A product of Fayetteville High, he also participated in the ACG in 2014.

3B - Blake Wiggins - JR or RS SO - The bat is a known commodity at least entering college.  Can he be solid enough defensively to stick at 3B?

LF - Eric Cole - SO - Legit plus runner with a 6.5 60 and should cover some ground in the OF.  This is assuming that Bonfield has a big time year next year and signs as a DE Sophomore.

CF - Dominic Fletcher - FR - The next Andrew Benintendi.  Plain and simple.

RF - Jack Benninghoff - RS SO - With a crowded OF this year, he wasn't able to break into the rotation.  He is a solid runner (6.80) with a plus arm and potential at the plate.  Hopefully he gets about 100-150 ABs this summer and shows why he was a top 250 player in his class.

DH - Jordan McFarland - FR - Another big guy who can hit for a lot of pop along with Wiggins and Spanberger.  Played in the same summer program as Spanberger in the St. Louis area.  He could be a corner INF or a LF.  Has some decent athleticism as he runs a sub 7 60 at 6-4, 225.

Friday Starter - Keaton McKinney - JR - A guy who could be a Freshman AA after struggling early in the year.  Imagine if he consistently worked 90-94 like he did in HS with his plus change and then develops a breaking ball.

Saturday - Jacob Schlesener - SO - A LHP who has jumped from 86-89 last summer to 89-92 this winter.  He also shows a plus change with a solid breaking ball.  Could compete for a weekend spot as a FR.

Sunday - Tyler Benninghoff - FR - Currently only works in the upper 80s topping out at 89-90, but shows all of the tools to be throwing 94-95 at any point.  He is 6-4 so he has the body to throw hard and has a potential 70 curveball.

Closer - Brenden Heiss - FR - Hopefully he can be the next Colby Suggs with a mid 90s fastball.

JonClaudeVanHam

I think I've learned my lesson about freshmen with Bonfield this year. If we had that many freshmen in the lineup I'm pretty sure that would mean we were terrible. It seems to just take a year for it to click with most of them.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

ucahogfan

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on May 25, 2015, 06:28:40 pm
I think I've learned my lesson about freshmen with Bonfield this year. If we had that many freshmen in the lineup I'm pretty sure that would mean we were terrible. It seems to just take a year for it to click with most of them.
Bonfield also got injured during the fall when he was lighting it up maybe better than anyone else.  It will be interesting to see how he does this summer.

Plus, Florida is starting four freshmen in the lineup right now.  It just depends how good the freshman is.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 25, 2015, 06:40:38 pm
Bonfield also got injured during the fall when he was lighting it up maybe better than anyone else.  It will be interesting to see how he does this summer.

Plus, Florida is starting four freshmen in the lineup right now.  It just depends how good the freshman is.

Not only is florida doing it with four freshmen starting (I would argue it is easier for a freshman pitcher than a position player, just like its easier for a freshman running back than a freshman olineman, etc), but one thing is certain-we will lose a lot to graduation and the draft this year, not perhaps much as in past years on the mounds but in the everyday lineup...they are going to have to come from somewhere...
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Team Oklahoma

Can't believe Andrew Crook who graduated from Meridian CC hasn't been offered, pitcher, center fielder . Great kid very athletic and lives in Springdale.

ricepig

Quote from: Team Oklahoma on May 26, 2015, 05:13:21 pm
Can't believe Andrew Crook who graduated from Meridian CC hasn't been offered, pitcher, center fielder . Great kid very athletic and lives in Springdale.

I saw a tweet where yours is doing well in A, congrats.

Team Oklahoma

Mine is in A ball in Bowling Green Ky. He is 0-1 with 3 saves, he is being used as a long relief. ERA 1.56 with 34.2 innings pitched has allowed 6 earned runs, 46 K's .72 WHIP with 10 walks. Having an extremely good year so far. Had to brag a little thanks tho for mentioning it.

ricepig

Quote from: Team Oklahoma on May 26, 2015, 05:34:52 pm
Mine isn't in AA he is in A in Bowling Green Ky. I think they said DJ Baxendale.

Yeah, I changed it, but it was a tweet about how well he's done. I looked it up after I posted AA, nice pitching stats.

@NWAHutch: Former #RogersHeritage pitcher Hunter Wood is doing well at Double-A Bowling Green. #arpreps https://t.co/tmfIF484Cb

ucahogfan

On April 26, the Hogs picked up their 15th commitment in the class of 2016 in Beebe RHP Angus Denton.  He is the second in-state commit for the Hogs along with Bryant LHP Evan Lee.  Denton doesn't light up a radar gun throwing 82-85 this year, but throws from a low arm slot so he has to generate a lot of movement on his pitches.  Here is an article talking about his commitment from PBR:

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/AR/Arkansas-Picks-Up-a-Commitment-from-in-State-Pitcher-4187293560

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 26, 2015, 06:37:16 pm
On April 26, the Hogs picked up their 15th commitment in the class of 2016 in Beebe RHP Angus Denton.  He is the second in-state commit for the Hogs along with Bryant LHP Evan Lee.  Denton doesn't light up a radar gun throwing 82-85 this year, but throws from a low arm slot so he has to generate a lot of movement on his pitches.  Here is an article talking about his commitment from PBR:

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/AR/Arkansas-Picks-Up-a-Commitment-from-in-State-Pitcher-4187293560
We like them odd arm slot guys it seems

ml2200

Any info on Michael Brawner?  Looks like he decommitted from OU and committed to the Hogs.

ucahogfan

2015 Commitments
1.  Jacob Adams - 5-11, 155, SS, NR, N/A, Arkansas (committed to Crowder)
2.  Isaiah Campbell - 6-4, 230, RHP, 500, 9, Kansas
3.  Eric Cole - 5-11, 170, OF, 500, 9, Texas
4.  Anthony Dahl - 6-3, 185, SS, 500, N/A, Texas
5.  Ty Harris - 6-2, 170, LHP, 261, 9, Arkansas
6.  Blaine Knight - 6-2, 160, RHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas
7.  Grant Koch - 6-0, 190, C, 500, 9, Arkansas
8.  Jacob Schlesener - 6-2, 170, LHP, 500, N/A, Missouri
9.  Weston Rogers - 6-4, 205, LHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas
10.  Cody Scroggins - 6-0, 170, SS, Top 1000, N/A, Arkansas
11.  Brendan Stanek - 6-1, 165, RHP, 500, N/A, Kansas
12.  Drew Tyler - 6-0, 190, SS, 500, 8, Arkansas
13.  Kacey Murphy - 6-0, 180, LHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas
14.  Andrew Bolin - 6-2, 170, OF, NR, N/A, Oklahoma
15.  Kevin Kopps - 6-0, 175, RHP, NR, 8, Texas
16.  Barrett Loseke - 5-11, 150, RHP, NR, 8.5, Oklahoma
17.  Jake Reindl - 6-1, 175, RHP, NR, 8.5, Arkansas
18.  Nathan Alberius - 6-0, 190, INF, NR, 8, Arkansas (FR JUCO in Tennessee)
19.  Jordan Rodriguez - 5-11, 190, LHP, NR, N/A, Texas (SO JUCO in Texas)
20.  Sam McDonnell - 6-0, 185, OF, NR, N/A, Texas (SO JUCO in Texas)
21.  Dalton Moats - 6-3, 195, LHP, NR, 9, Missouri (SO JUCO in Oklahoma)
22.  Michael Brawner - 6-1, 175, LHP, NR, N/A, Texas

2016 Commitments
1.  Jordan McFarland - 6-4, 220, 3B, 117, 9.5, Illinois
2.  Jaxon Williams - 5-7, 155, SS, 87, N/A, Texas
3.  Ben Rortvedt - 5-10, 185, C, NR, 10, Wisconsin
4.  Matt Cronin - 5-11, 170, LHP, NR, N/A, Florida
5.  Jacob Kostyshock - 6-4, 160, RHP, NR, N/A, Missouri
6.  Dominic Fletcher - 5-9, 180, OF, 213, 10, California
7.  Jack Kenley - 6-0, 170, SS, NR, 9, Tennessee
8.  Matt Burch - 5-9, 155, SS, NR, N/A, Illinois
9.  Blake Lillis - 6-3, 175, LHP, NR, N/A, Kansas
10.  Evan Lee - 6-0, 160, LHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas
11.  Tyler Benninghoff - 6-4, 180, RHP, 66, 9.5, Kansas (high school in Missouri)
12.  Brenden Heiss - 6-1, 210, RHP, 45, N/A, Illinois
13.  Lucas Krull - 6-6, 200, LHP, NR, N/A, Kansas
14.  Cole Stobbe - 6-1, 180, SS, 63, 9.5, Nebraska
15.  Angus Denton - 6-0, 165, RHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas

2017 Commitments
1.  Cole Turney - 5-11, 175, OF, NR, N/A, Texas

Signed Players

ucahogfan

2015 State-by-State Breakdown
Arkansas - 9 (2 SS, 3 LHP, 1 C, 2 RHP, 1 INF)
Texas - 6 (1 SS, 2 OF, 1 RHP, 2 LHP)
Kansas - 2 (2 RHP)
Missouri - 2 (2 LHP)
Oklahoma - 2 (1 OF, 1 RHP)

2016 State-by-State Breakdown
Illinois - 3 (1 3B, 1 SS, 1 RHP)
Texas - 1 (1 SS)
Wisconsin - 1 (1 C)
Florida - 1 (1 LHP)
Missouri - 1 (1 RHP)
California - 1 (1 OF)
Tennessee - 1 (1 SS)
Kansas - 3 (2 LHP, 1 RHP)
Arkansas - 2 (1 LHP, 1 RHP)
Nebraska - 1 (1 SS)

2017 State-by-State Breakdown
Texas - 1 (1 OF)

ucahogfan

Two commits to report:

-  On Tuesday, the Hogs picked up a LHP who is in the class of 2015.  Formerly an Oklahoma commitment, Michael Brawner flipped to the Hogs.  Can't find much about him except that he is a LHP (could be a fielder, but LH) and is from Texas.  Maybe someone could shed some light on him.

-  The first commitment of the 2017 class could want to be the next Andrew Benintendi.  Cole Turney out of Richmond, Texas pledged to the Hogs about two hours ago.  He was the #3 player for the class of 2017 at the Under Armour All-American Pre-Season Tourney back in February.  He might find himself in a corner OF spot, but his bat is what sets him apart.  Here is that report from February:

http://blog.baseballfactory.com/tag/cole-turney/

Cole Turney ‏@coleturney14  · 2h2 hours ago 
Blessed to say I have verbally committed to play baseball at the University of Arkansas 🐗

Michael Brawner ‏@michael_brawner  · Jun 2 
Committed to play baseball at the University of Arkansas⚾️🐗 #UARK19 #OmaHogs #razorbacks

dotnet

I am glad to finally have someone like Moats committed. 

He is someone I think could possibly close next year if Jackson moved into the rotation

ucahogfan

A few in-state 2017s to keep an eye on:

-  The most notable would be current Mississippi State commit Hunter Milligan.  He is a 6-4 LHP from Greenbrier who hit 90 MPH last summer, but shortly after his commitment, DVH mentioned they hadn't sent out any schollys in the 2017 class so he didn't hold an offer from us at the time, but that could have changed.  Of course, a sophomore LHP who already touches 90 will never step foot on a college campus to play college baseball.

-  Also from Greenbrier is CIF Paxton Wallace.  From the sounds of it, he has a long track record of playing top level baseball during the summer and brings a nice bat to the picture.  He could potentially be a 2 way player in college as he also throws in the mid 80s right now.

-  The last notable mention right now is Cabot OF Evan Hooper.  He already brings on 70 tool to the table with sub 6.4 60 speed.  He also has a decent arm that should only get stronger the next two years and can barrel a ball up.  Sounds like someone who should pick up an offer and commit to the in-state program.

JackJohnson

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 06, 2015, 07:38:22 pm
A few in-state 2017s to keep an eye on:

-  The most notable would be current Mississippi State commit Hunter Milligan.  He is a 6-4 LHP from Greenbrier who hit 90 MPH last summer, but shortly after his commitment, DVH mentioned they hadn't sent out any schollys in the 2017 class so he didn't hold an offer from us at the time, but that could have changed.  Of course, a sophomore LHP who already touches 90 will never step foot on a college campus to play college baseball.

-  Also from Greenbrier is CIF Paxton Wallace.  From the sounds of it, he has a long track record of playing top level baseball during the summer and brings a nice bat to the picture.  He could potentially be a 2 way player in college as he also throws in the mid 80s right now.

-  The last notable mention right now is Cabot OF Evan Hooper.  He already brings on 70 tool to the table with sub 6.4 60 speed.  He also has a decent arm that should only get stronger the next two years and can barrel a ball up.  Sounds like someone who should pick up an offer and commit to the in-state program.

my oldest son play with all 3 of these kids in USSSA ball from the ages of 7-14.  They have definitely played the best players from not only Ark, but also surrounding states since then winning so often it became second nature.  Those teams had some of the best collection of talent I have ever seen that stayed together for a really long time 

Good to see those names associated with Hawgs, but a sad reminder on how quickly time flies and how old I am getting...   

Scott7703

Quote from: JackJohnson on June 08, 2015, 04:01:58 pm
my oldest son play with all 3 of these kids in USSSA ball from the ages of 7-14.  They have definitely played the best players from not only Ark, but also surrounding states since then winning so often it became second nature.  Those teams had some of the best collection of talent I have ever seen that stayed together for a really long time 

Good to see those names associated with Hawgs, but a sad reminder on how quickly time flies and how old I am getting...   

This whole group played with the prospects?

The Wallace kid is the real deal. I can't speak for the others but can tell you Wallace is one of the better players I've seen at his age.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 08, 2015, 04:23:18 pm
This whole group played with the prospects?

The Wallace kid is the real deal. I can't speak for the others but can tell you Wallace is one of the better players I've seen at his age.

When the prospects formed...yes, but that wasn't until later on.  Before then Paxton played on the Arkansas Curve with my son, while Milligan and Hooper were on the Arkansas Seminoles who was our chief rival whom we played against in pretty much every finals 

A bunch of those kids are also starting at places like Conway, Vilonia, Morrilton etc.   As I mentioned, just an insane amount of talent and hopefully they will keep progressing and I can watch them get to Omaha as a Hawg

Scott7703

Quote from: JackJohnson on June 08, 2015, 04:30:57 pm
When the prospects formed...yes, but that wasn't until later on.  Before then Paxton played on the Arkansas Curve with my son, while Milligan and Hooper were on the Arkansas Seminoles who was our chief rival whom we played against in pretty much every finals 

I remember the Seminoles. There was a kid from my hometown on that team.

outlawhogeywells

have we had any incoming players drafted?  I can't find a list of our incoming players or I would look

RWQ

Schlesener was just drafted by the Cardinals.
U of A Grad December 1989

dotnet

Quote from: RWQ on June 10, 2015, 01:09:03 pm
Schlesener was just drafted by the Cardinals.

Good for him. 

12 is iffy.  Most teams are still drafting players at 12 they expect to sign.

jry04

With all of the players who appear to be returning, I really have a hard time seeing any scenario where we aren't better next season. Making Omaha this year puts us ahead of schedule, because I really think next year and 2017 we will have a better team with a chance to make Omaha in each season. Our pitching will no question be better, and if Spoon returns, our hitting will probably be even better next season. We lose AB and Serrano, but everyone else should improve, and some of our younger guys will get healthy and contribute a lot more than they were able to this season.

McKinney, Jackson, Taco, and Teague should all be very good pitchers next season, and then you throw in the all of the pitchers we are bringing in who should contribute immediately. We should have a minimum of 5 or 6 quality arms out of the bullpen, after our starting rotation. This year we really only had 3.

dotnet

Its a hard stretch for me to think the hitting will be better next year.  But I can imagine it being the same to just a tiny bit worse.

With the pitching scenario... that is an easy win. 

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 10, 2015, 02:44:57 pm
Its a hard stretch for me to think the hitting will be better next year.  But I can imagine it being the same to just a tiny bit worse.

With the pitching scenario... that is an easy win. 
If Spoon, Wernes, Bernal, Nomura, McAfee all return, which it appears like they will, I think the hitting absolutely gets better top to bottom. Losing Serrano and Benintendi will hurt, but those other guys improved from last season to the this season, and I expect them to do the same again this offseason.

All of those guys, plus Shaddy and Eagan have potential to hit .300 next season . Spoon stayed at .300, but the other guys were back and forth at .300 all season. Shaddy didn't have a ton of ABs, but hit over .300 in the ones he did have. Obviously Spoon was pitched to a lot more after AB was intentionally walked so many times, but he is still a very good hitter. Bonfield was said to have one of the best bats in last year's drafts, but then broke his ankle before the season. I think that set him back a lot. I may be overly optimistic, but I expect him and Spanberger to make a big jump next season.

We will lose a .400 hitter, but I think 2 or 3 of our current guys under .300 improve to over .300. I think we will have 10-12 guys capable of hitting .280+ next season, with 4 or 5 finishing over .300. Hopefully Pennell's good end to the season carries over to next season, too. I think he could improve to about a .250 hitter next season. Maybe I am too optimistic, though. Regardless, with the pitching we are getting and the hitting we are returning, I think we will be a more complete team.

Kevin

next recruiting class is looking to be a big deal, to replace a lot of guys.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on June 10, 2015, 03:31:56 pm
next recruiting class is looking to be a big deal, to replace a lot of guys.
Yeah, it should be great, which it needs to be with the turnover we will be looking at.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 10, 2015, 03:29:53 pm
If Spoon, Wernes, Bernal, Nomura, McAfee all return, which it appears like they will, I think the hitting absolutely gets better top to bottom. Losing Serrano and Benintendi will hurt, but those other guys improved from last season to the this season, and I expect them to do the same again this offseason.

All of those guys, plus Shaddy and Eagan have potential to hit .300 next season . Spoon stayed at .300, but the other guys were back and forth at .300 all season. Shaddy didn't have a ton of ABs, but hit over .300 in the ones he did have. Obviously Spoon was pitched to a lot more after AB was intentionally walked so many times, but he is still a very good hitter. Bonfield was said to have one of the best bats in last year's drafts, but then broke his ankle before the season. I think that set him back a lot. I may be overly optimistic, but I expect him and Spanberger to make a big jump next season.

We will lose a .400 hitter, but I think 2 or 3 of our current guys under .300 improve to over .300. I think we will have 10-12 guys capable of hitting .280+ next season, with 4 or 5 finishing over .300. Hopefully Pennell's good end to the season carries over to next season, too. I think he could improve to about a .250 hitter next season. Maybe I am too optimistic, though. Regardless, with the pitching we are getting and the hitting we are returning, I think we will be a more complete team.

You're expecting a lot of improvement.  which is fine, I am too.  But you're talking about Pennell jumping 50 points?  I thought Wise would do that too...

I said the same thing you're saying now a year ago.  With McAfee healthy, Eagan, Serrano, Spoon, AB, Wiggins, Bonfield... there could easily be 6-7 300+ hitters.  And while they aren't any roughly automatic outs in the lineup anymore (at least in the post season with Pennell swinging it well), this team has really benefited from Serrano, Spoon, and AB being studs and having a different guy or two step up on any given day. 

So the same thing is true next year.  Nomura, Bonfield, Spangberger, Eagan, McAfee, Bernal, Shaddy, Wernes?, Spoon?... but AB is going to be really hard to replace.  This is a different level than having to replace Brian Anderson or a Matt Reynolds

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 10, 2015, 05:18:40 pm
You're expecting a lot of improvement.  which is fine, I am too.  But you're talking about Pennell jumping 50 points?  I thought Wise would do that too...

I said the same thing you're saying now a year ago.  With McAfee healthy, Eagan, Serrano, Spoon, AB, Wiggins, Bonfield... there could easily be 6-7 300+ hitters.  And while they aren't any roughly automatic outs in the lineup anymore (at least in the post season with Pennell swinging it well), this team has really benefited from Serrano, Spoon, and AB being studs and having a different guy or two step up on any given day. 

So the same thing is true next year.  Nomura, Bonfield, Spangberger, Eagan, McAfee, Bernal, Shaddy, Wernes?, Spoon?... but AB is going to be really hard to replace.  This is a different level than having to replace Brian Anderson or a Matt Reynolds

Pennell is a stretch, but he is over .200 now, and swinging it well. I agree that is a big stretch. The others are not a stretch at all. Doesn't look like Spoon will be back tho.

flippinhogmana

I think to look at production in terms of rbis rather than average...If Spoon doesnt come back and with Serrano and Beni definitely gone, you lose you lead off hitter (and clutch) 30+ rbis, #3 and #4 hitter and nearly 110 rbis or a total of 140 rbis.  That doesnt even take into account Wernes who has about 30 more.  Tough to replace without some dropoff.  You also lose two of your better base stealers.  Not to mention your whole outfield including your two best defensive ones.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

SPAL

I'll defer to our resident expeet, UCA, on
Schlesener , but I hope he makes it.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 10, 2015, 05:43:36 pm
I'll defer to our resident expeet, UCA, on
Schlesener , but I hope he makes it.

Me too.  LHP, freshman, for a lot of reasons you want some new players every year.  This is one I really wanted.  I know UCA was high on him too.  Hopefully he makes it.  I look for big things from Span, Bonfield, Shaddy, to name a few, but I hope we get this freshman and some other through too.  I hope we find a place in the outfield for the one kid UCA was high on too.  Need a freshman closer.  Even if we drop off some, if we have better pitching next year we can make up for it.

SPAL

Quote from: flippinhogmana on June 10, 2015, 06:07:05 pm
Me too.  LHP, freshman, for a lot of reasons you want some new players every year.  This is one I really wanted.  I know UCA was high on him too.  Hopefully he makes it.  I look for big things from Span, Bonfield, Shaddy, to name a few, but I hope we get this freshman and some other through too.  I hope we find a place in the outfield for the one kid UCA was high on too.  Need a freshman closer.  Even if we drop off some, if we have better pitching next year we can make up for it.

I'll be shocked if a freshman closes. Sanburn should take over that role next year, with the caveat that he gets his control under control.

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 10, 2015, 06:19:38 pm
I'll be shocked if a freshman closes. Sanburn should take over that role next year, with the caveat that he gets his control under control.

That's a big caveat, if there's such a thing.......

SPAL

I'm big on sanburn and I'm big on patten. Patten should start midweek games and take over the Lowery role. Dude has crazy potential. I don't know that pate or Chadwick will be here next year.

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 10, 2015, 06:23:53 pm
I'm big on sanburn and I'm big on patten. Patten should start midweek games and take over the Lowery role. Dude has crazy potential. I don't know that pate or Chadwick will be here next year.

Yeah, both Sanburn and Patten have live arms, hopefully they can find the strike zone a little more often. I also agree on the last sentence, there will be the normal moving on this summer and fall.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 10, 2015, 01:52:01 pm
Good for him. 

12 is iffy.  Most teams are still drafting players at 12 they expect to sign.
I think we get him, but wouldn't be surprised either way.  The Cardinals drafted with a lot of risk in the top 10 rounds and I don't know how much money they will have left over.

rolyat_2008

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/06/10/cardinals-draft-rogersville-pitcher-schlesener/71013542/

Schlesener has until Major League Baseball's July 17 deadline to either sign with the Cardinals or declare his intent to honor his national letter of intent signing with the University of Arkansas. Schlesener has been preparing for draft day, but said he is, "not 100 percent on anything yet."

Wahls

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on June 10, 2015, 09:18:55 pm
http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/06/10/cardinals-draft-rogersville-pitcher-schlesener/71013542/

Schlesener has until Major League Baseball's July 17 deadline to either sign with the Cardinals or declare his intent to honor his national letter of intent signing with the University of Arkansas. Schlesener has been preparing for draft day, but said he is, "not 100 percent on anything yet."

What's up dood?
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

Waldron_Hog

Sounds mlb bound to me if he gets a decent offer. Hope not.

Big Nasty 34

I talked to a buddy who actually helped coach Schlesner's HS this year. I asked if he thought he would go pro and said:
"No clue. I think he SHOULD. He's never gonna amount to much either way. Too lazy". Just reporting not bashing. I'm happy either way being a Cards fan lol.

ucahogfan

Dominic Fletcher had a dominant junior season playing against some great competition in So Cal.  He was named to the Orange County All-County Team.  Check it out here:

http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/league-79452-team-batted.html

A whole lot of future D-1 guys on that list.

SPAL

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 11, 2015, 08:49:57 am
I talked to a buddy who actually helped coach Schlesner's HS this year. I asked if he thought he would go pro and said:
"No clue. I think he SHOULD. He's never gonna amount to much either way. Too lazy". Just reporting not bashing. I'm happy either way being a Cards fan lol.

If this is true, he won't play for DVH

ucahogfan

Nebraska Prep Zone ‏@NEPrepZone  · Jun 7 
Congrats to @colestobbe of Millard West on being named to the All-Nebraska baseball team. http://bit.ly/1MeSJ5F 

codeHog

Rodriquez  and Wiggins.......are both off team

ucahogfan

Ben Rortvedt and Cole Stobbe will be on the Brave Team for USA Baseball's Tournament of Stars during the last week of June.  Dominic Fletcher will be on the Pride team.

http://www.usabaseball.com/article.jsp?ymd=20150612&content_id=130164444&vkey=news_usab

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005