Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are you working on right now?

Started by clutch, May 12, 2013, 04:16:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coondog Hog

I've been putting in work on losing weight.  I've lost 91 lbs since January 3rd 2013 and I'm not done yet.  Been dieting down eating 12-1500 net calories/ day and I started doing 30-60 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week.  I've went from 354-263 so my motivation is high right now.  I don't think I can cut calories any more and be healthy.  Any tips on what I can do in addition to cardio to keep the weight loss pace up.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: H&D on July 14, 2013, 04:04:07 pm
Last week I kinda did a very light trial run just to see if I could do the moves.  Military was the tough one, do to the nature of my shoulder injury.  Dumbbells or Barbell, it doesn't matter, military press is going to suck.  I need a Yolk Bar for Squats, but I can get by with my bar and straps for now (I can get my hand that far behind my head, and during front squats the bar rest on my incision scar), it won't be a problem until the weight starts getting up there.  If anyone has a rack-able yolk bar for a good price pm me.

Man that sucks shoulder injuries are a mofo.

I've been wanting to buy a yoke bar myself but they are crazy expensive!

Anyway hope you heal up quick and good luck with 531.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

H&D

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on July 15, 2013, 10:11:49 am
Man that sucks shoulder injuries are a mofo.

I've been wanting to buy a yoke bar myself but they are crazy expensive!

Anyway hope you heal up quick and good luck with 531.

Elite FTS has a really good one for $399.00  :o  It may come to that when the weights start rising. I guess I'm going to have to put in some overtime. 
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Tai_Mai_Shu

Quote from: Coondog Hog on July 14, 2013, 08:00:16 pm
I've been putting in work on losing weight.  I've lost 91 lbs since January 3rd 2013 and I'm not done yet.  Been dieting down eating 12-1500 net calories/ day and I started doing 30-60 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week.  I've went from 354-263 so my motivation is high right now.  I don't think I can cut calories any more and be healthy.  Any tips on what I can do in addition to cardio to keep the weight loss pace up.

Good job man. When you say cardio what kind of excerise are you talking about? Running, cycling, etc?  I'm about to start P90x here with the wife.  I'm a little guy 5'10 and weighing 195 lbs earlier this year.  Now I'm down to 165 and that's about all I can drop it seems like. I run 3 to 4 miles every morning and then hit the weights during lunch hour in addition to eating healthy.  That's about all you can really do I guess.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Coondog Hog on July 14, 2013, 08:00:16 pm

I would start adding in some weights if you haven't already.

Doesn't have to be anything crazy or heavy to start off with.

With that in addition to your cardio you should continue to lose weight since any added muscle will just allow you to burn more calories at rest and while active.

Also vary your cardio. While you have the weight to lose it will come off easier than when you are thinner.  Exercise is essentially forced adaptation so you have to provide enough stimuli that your body doesn't adapt and as a result you plateau. It doesn't have to be complicated just lift heavier, do more reps, run/walk longer, run/walk faster, swim instead of run, etc. just something new when you feel stagnation coming on.

One more thing just remember its a journey not a destination. You will plateau, you will lose motivation at times, and sometimes it will be harder than others. Just mitigate those times, switch your routine, and trudge forward. It'll eventually become easier again and then take advantage of when it is.

Consistency, consistency, consistency. Life gets in the way at times but don't let it stop you in your tracks just push forward and lean into the wind and you'll get there.

Anyway the progress you've made is remarkable and there's no reason you can't keep going. Keep up the good work, stay on task, and keep it simple.

Good luck and congrats on the success you've already acheived!

Hogfly

What Hogsmo said as far as adding in the weights and the rest. I'll also add that your progress is remarkable. As long as you keep your calorie count there, you are way below BMR and will continue to lose weight.

Here's a great article about cardio vs. interval vs. weight training when it comes to burning calories:
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/

CabotHog87

Quote from: clutch on July 12, 2013, 03:10:13 pm
Try this link.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/six-week-shred-torch-fat-with-hiit-100s.html

edit: this is just the link you were trying to get to. Noticed after I posted that you asked about HIIT that doesn't require weights. If I were doing something without weights I would probably just do insanity or p90x or something. Or you could just look up a lot of body weight exercises and make your own routine.

Starting Wednesday I'll be on week 3. It's going pretty good so far. Definitely starting to see some results. Question for you, how quickly do you do your reps? Do you pace yourself or do you go more up tempo?

clutch

Quote from: CabotHog87 on July 15, 2013, 03:17:14 pm
Starting Wednesday I'll be on week 3. It's going pretty good so far. Definitely starting to see some results. Question for you, how quickly do you do your reps? Do you pace yourself or do you go more up tempo?

Hard to explain really. I'm sort of in between. I'm not going at a slow pace, but I'm not going at a crazy high pace either. I tried really high tempo at first and I didn't have enough left in the tank towards the end of the workout. It really just took me a couple rounds of playing with before I found the sweet spot.

One thing about this program is that you don't have to do the reps at as high of a pace as you normally would in other similar routines. You are going to be tired, burning, sucking for air no matter what probably. Especially as the weeks go on since that week 1 60 second rest period drops each week.

ATU HOG

I have a question for the 5-3-1 reps.  Do you do this on Chest day, with lets say.. Bench, Incline, Decline, and then cables.  Or is it like a Bench, Squat, Deadlift, all in one.  Do you isolate muscles and workout like normal just doing those reps, or is it a set routine?

H&D

Quote from: ATU HOG on July 15, 2013, 06:04:07 pm
I have a question for the 5-3-1 reps.  Do you do this on Chest day, with lets say.. Bench, Incline, Decline, and then cables.  Or is it like a Bench, Squat, Deadlift, all in one.  Do you isolate muscles and workout like normal just doing those reps, or is it a set routine?

Set routine.  Bench, Deadlift, Military Press and Squat are all done on different days (if you are working four days a week).  You do the main lift say Squat like this.

Week One.
Warm-up:
5 reps
5 reps
3 reps

Work Set:
5 reps
5 reps
5+ reps

Then you do "accessory work", basically whatever you want to work on, related to your main lift. With squat I will do lunges and calve work.

Week Two:
3 reps
3 reps
3 reps

Week Three:
5 reps
3 reps
1 rep

Week Four: Very Light
5 reps
5 reps
5 reps

Those reps are for the main lifts, the app I have has you doing 5 sets of 10 reps on the accessory work (in week one).  With only two accessory lifts. The lift weights have to do with percentages of 90% of your 1RM.  And he is adamant about not using your 1RM from High School or when you where in good shape, know yourself and be honest.  And start out lighter than you think you should.  One guy told me to start with my 1RM, knock off 20lbs and use 90% of that to start.  I lift at home, so I don't have to worry about people at the gym thinking my weights are light. 
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hogsmo Kramer

July 15, 2013, 06:29:19 pm #110 Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:48:18 pm by Hogsmo Kramer
Quote from: ATU HOG on July 15, 2013, 06:04:07 pm

Well the way the routine is structured is around 4 lifts the squat, deadlift, overhead press, and the bench.

There's not typically a chest day, back day, etc. although you could do it at way if you wanted but you'd still want to focus on the main lifts first and foremost before doing any assistance work and only using the 531 progressions for those four main lifts. If you were to do that I'd prob do a four day split something like this:

Monday- Squat (531 progression) and quad dominant assistance work
Tuesday-Bench (531 progression) and chest/back assistance work
Wednesday-off
Thursday- Deadlift (531) and posterior chain/hamstring assistance work
Friday- Overhead press (531) and arms as well as shoulder/ rotator cuff assistance work
Saturday-off
Sunday-off

*I'd also throw in some lower back and ab work in 2-3 times a week as well.

Right now I'm actually only lifting twice a week but doing a lot of work on those two days (bench/squat on the same day and deadlift/overhead press on the same day along with assistance work). I just recently bought Wendlers new ebook and have started implementing some new techniques he calls "joker sets" and some down sets into the routine as well but I've been doing 531 type stuff for a while and when I first started I kept it pretty simple and have progressed slowly to what I'm doing now.

Anyway his new book is great and really helps you take 531 to the next level once you've been on the regular program for a while and contains a ton of variety and programs to keep things fresh and to keep you progressing.

Hope that answers your question. 

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Tai_Mai_Shu on July 15, 2013, 01:17:27 pm
Good job man. When you say cardio what kind of excerise are you talking about? Running, cycling, etc?  I'm about to start P90x here with the wife.  I'm a little guy 5'10 and weighing 195 lbs earlier this year.  Now I'm down to 165 and that's about all I can drop it seems like. I run 3 to 4 miles every morning and then hit the weights during lunch hour in addition to eating healthy.  That's about all you can really do I guess.

My cardio consists of walking on the treadmill for 60 minutes 3 mornings a week at 3.5-4 mph and jogging once a week outside for 25- 30 minutes  at 4.5 to 5 mph.  I was was down 80 lbs before I started exercising other than coaching youth baseball. I haven't been brave enough for P90X.  The DOMS my first week of jogging we're brutal.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: H&D on July 15, 2013, 06:27:17 pm
Set routine.  Bench, Deadlift, Military Press and Squat are all done on different days (if you are working four days a week).  You do the main lift say Squat like this.

Week One.
Warm-up:
5 reps
5 reps
3 reps

Work Set:
5 reps
5 reps
5+ reps

Then you do "accessory work", basically whatever you want to work on, related to your main lift. With squat I will do lunges and calve work.

Week Two:
3 reps
3 reps
3 reps

Week Three:
5 reps
3 reps
1 rep

Week Four: Very Light
5 reps
5 reps
5 reps

Those reps are for the main lifts, the app I have has you doing 5 sets of 10 reps on the accessory work (in week one).  With only two accessory lifts. The lift weights have to do with percentages of 90% of your 1RM.  And he is adamant about not using your 1RM from High School or when you where in good shape, know yourself and be honest.  And start out lighter than you think you should.  One guy told me to start with my 1RM, knock off 20lbs and use 90% of that to start.  I lift at home, so I don't have to worry about people at the gym thinking my weights are light.

^^^This^^^ too.

Sorry I didn't see this til after I posted.

Yeah and the being honest part is no joke. If you aren't you'll quickly start backing off your maxes as the percentages ramp up and especially if you do "joker sets" since you'll go all the way up to 120% of your training max (90% of your real max) with those at times which gets heavy and without that 10% buffer you'll stall and stall early.

The program's all about slow but steady weight progression but if you do it right it works. I've added bout 30-50 pounds on all of my lifts in the last 3-4 months and they're continuing to move.

It's by far the best program for strength I've ever been on and I've been around the block more than once when it comes to training.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on July 15, 2013, 01:54:10 pm
I would start adding in some weights if you haven't already.

Doesn't have to be anything crazy or heavy to start off with.

With that in addition to your cardio you should continue to lose weight since any added muscle will just allow you to burn more calories at rest and while active.

Also vary your cardio. While you have the weight to lose it will come off easier than when you are thinner.  Exercise is essentially forced adaptation so you have to provide enough stimuli that your body doesn't adapt and as a result you plateau. It doesn't have to be complicated just lift heavier, do more reps, run/walk longer, run/walk faster, swim instead of run, etc. just something new when you feel stagnation coming on.

One more thing just remember its a journey not a destination. You will plateau, you will lose motivation at times, and sometimes it will be harder than others. Just mitigate those times, switch your routine, and trudge forward. It'll eventually become easier again and then take advantage of when it is.

Consistency, consistency, consistency. Life gets in the way at times but don't let it stop you in your tracks just push forward and lean into the wind and you'll get there.

Anyway the progress you've made is remarkable and there's no reason you can't keep going. Keep up the good work, stay on task, and keep it simple.

Good luck and congrats on the success you've already acheived!

Thanks to all of you for the info.  Just to give you an idea of where my journey started in January here is this picture.

- Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Hogfly

Just so you know, there are a bunch of different "accessory" or "assistance" programs for 531.  One is called "Boring but Big," and can be found here:

http://www.jimwendler.com/2013/05/boring-but-big/

Hogfly

Coondog: That's an awesome transformation, bro. Very inspiring!

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Coondog Hog on July 15, 2013, 06:46:17 pm
Thanks to all of you for the info.  Just to give you an idea of where my journey started in January here is this picture.

Man that's extraordinary progress!

Great job!

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Hogfly on July 15, 2013, 07:07:42 pm
Just so you know, there are a bunch of different "accessory" or "assistance" programs for 531.  One is called "Boring but Big," and can be found here:

http://www.jimwendler.com/2013/05/boring-but-big/

That's the exact 531 template I used for my first 531 cycle.

Very very good template and a great one to start 531 with.

ATU HOG

Quote from: fantana on July 14, 2013, 10:26:14 am
+1 for the PB and oatmeal...never woulda thought of that till you posted it and after I tried it this morning its gonna be my new everyday breakfast
You're welcome.  I don't remember why I even did that, but it does taste a lot better with the PB

Chief Mac

Putting on 5-10 lbs of good weight. Currently 175 and 8.3% body fat and want to be get to at least 180 while dropping about 1% body fat. Week 1 gained .4lbs and dropped .5 % body fat.  Dr just put me on T therapy about 2 wks ago after finding out I have the T level of an 80 yr old. I'm anxious to see how actually having the right amount of T in my system will help my fitness goals
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Hogsmo Kramer

So just an update on my lifting goals.

The other day in training I pulled 460 and benched 360. Both were somewhat light so I'm thinking my dead is prob right around 500 right now and my bench 375 or so.

As far as squats the most I've done is 350 which was really light but its the lift I'm really most concerned with so I'm taking it slow.

Trying to hit 1500 is going to be quit a daunting task especially trying to stay healthy but so far I'm still feeling good. My goal is 400 on bench, 525 squat, and 575 dead. I think I can get the dead and bench but the squat may be iffy since my best was 500 when I was much younger and healthier but then again I wasn't just training for strength then either as I was playing ball so who knows.

Anyway I started taking glucosamine and choindroitin again which seems to be helping the joints a bit and have been really trying to nail down my technique on the big three lifts.

Well enough bout that how's everyone else doing?

NWA Hog11

Started doing HIIT workouts 4-5 times a week for the past month. I've steadily lost 2-3 pounds a week. Also am on a (non strict, only when i cook meals) high protein, low carb diet. Been getting in great shape! I play a lot of ultimate frisbee around Fayetteville, and I can tell I have a lot more energy when I'm out there running. And I've gotten a lot stronger in my legs and back. My arms are still getting there, but I'm getting what I want out of it, and its only 10 or 15 minutes a day of hard work outs. I love it! I'm sure I'll see diminishing returns, but right now, Im riding it out.

warm up (8 rounds)
20 seconds on
10 seconds off

usually do pushups or jumping jacks or burpees

actual workout is 3 rounds of 4 exercises
50 seconds on
10 seconds off

and then i cool off with a light 10 minute mile after.
Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're an Arkansas Razorback fan! GO HOGS!