Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

anyone ever tried crossfit?

Started by fantana, February 01, 2013, 01:40:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fantana

Thinking about starting next week and have a few questions. Would it benefit me to do it 3 days a week and lift heavy 3 days a week? Or would that be overtraining? I really don't want to lose mass but at the same time want to shred before pool season is here. Thanks in advance.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

clutch

I probably wouldn't go 3 and 3. That'd be a lot on your body. If you aren't planning on staying with Crossfit long, I doubt you would lose that much mass. You would definitely cut though.

I've always been pretty against Crossfit, but a buddy of mine did it as a cutting routine and got absolutely shredded. It made me open my eyes a little bit. It is something I am thinking about introducing to my workout here soon when I want to cut.

Buff

You can get ripped fast on it.  Unless you like being the biggest, most bloated bastard in the gym I don't think you have to worry about losing much mass on it.  Just watch the pounds melt off and tell yourself it's all fat you didn't need anyway. 

fantana

Quote from: clutch on February 02, 2013, 12:14:54 pm
I probably wouldn't go 3 and 3. That'd be a lot on your body. If you aren't planning on staying with Crossfit long, I doubt you would lose that much mass. You would definitely cut though.

I've always been pretty against Crossfit, but a buddy of mine did it as a cutting routine and got absolutely shredded. It made me open my eyes a little bit. It is something I am thinking about introducing to my workout here soon when I want to cut.
so you think lifting between would be too much? I kinda thought that as well but wanted someone else's opinion.

ldfergu

Crossfit WODS generally only last 20 minutes.  You'll be whooped afterwards but I recommend hitting the weights afterwards.  You'll get ripped especially if you have a good diet

Buff

Quote from: fantana on February 03, 2013, 06:54:38 pm
so you think lifting between would be too much? I kinda thought that as well but wanted someone else's opinion.

Ever had a shoulder overuse injury?  At least take it easy the first couple weeks of Crossfit.

clutch

Quote from: fantana on February 03, 2013, 06:54:38 pm

I would think it could be. It really depends on how quickly your body recovers. If I was trying to just get cut up I'd probably only throw in 1 weight session or so a week just to maintain some of the muscle. Just a full body day at the end of the week or something.

If you aren't planning on staying with it long term, I don't think you will really lose much muscle mass. With the better definition you probably wouldn't even be able to notice it at all, may even look as if you've gotten bigger.

Now if you stayed with it long term you'd lose some I would think. I really don't know a whole lot about it yet. I just started looking into it to try for a cutting routine in a few weeks.

ATU HOG

I just looked at some prices and man, it is expensive up here in NWA

clutch

Quote from: ATU HOG on February 04, 2013, 08:48:29 pm

Yeah I saw a segment on the news about it last night. They were saying the intro classes were like $125 for 3 weeks and then it was $200 a month. That's insane. You can look up the workouts online and do them in any gym.

ldfergu

Quote from: clutch on February 04, 2013, 08:50:07 pm
Yeah I saw a segment on the news about it last night. They were saying the intro classes were like $125 for 3 weeks and then it was $200 a month. That's insane. You can look up the workouts online and do them in any gym.
but u can't do them correctly.  I agree it is super expensive but don't discount the importance of quality coaching.  I  am fortunate to get CF for free with Border Patrol and probably wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.  If u decide to do it, technique mastery should be ur focus.  U start heavy, u have bad form, u get hurt, u can't workout.

Their are instructional videos for each lift/movement @ crossfit.com.  I recommend doing the WODS with at least one other person.  This way u can help push one another and keep each other honest. 

Personally, I love CF and the "I just conquered the universe" feeling u get from the workouts.  I normally lift weights afterwards (roughly 45m) to keep size.  CF is gonna strengthen ur core (where all ur power generates from) and work muscles you'll never hit at the regular gym.

Lastly, diet is very important to achieve physical greatness and a well toned body.  Try to adopt the Paleo diet (meats, veggies, nutts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and NO sugar).  No sugar can be pretty difficult but u can get away with cheating on the wknds, occasionally.

Remember-  You can't out train a poor diet :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

ATU HOG

I think in Fayetteville they offer 3 free trials at Crossfit on Saturdays at 11.  I think I might try it out Saturday to see what all the buzz is about

DeltaBoy

Our HS Coaching staff did PX-90 last year and they dropped on average 40 pounds. I don't know how similar it is to Crossfit but I have heard it works too.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Buff

Lol good for them, can't stand to see fatass HS/Jr coaches demanding their players run and lift when they can't do it themselves. 

Men's Health has a similar workout called DeltaFit.  Somewhat of a blend of weights/bodyweight and cardio.  If you push yourself hard enough it turns into a blend of Insanity and P90.  Be careful the first time on combat rolls, good way to hurt a shoulder.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 05, 2013, 01:14:41 pm
Our HS Coaching staff did PX-90 last year and they dropped on average 40 pounds. I don't know how similar it is to Crossfit but I have heard it works too.
I have P90X at the house.  I get sore just seeing them setting on the shelf.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

fantana

Quote from: Buff on February 04, 2013, 05:00:51 pm
Ever had a shoulder overuse injury?  At least take it easy the first couple weeks of Crossfit.
Quote from: Buff on February 04, 2013, 05:00:51 pm

yep...both of em actually, been dealing with them for years.

H&D

I just add some Crossfit principle into my regular routine.  Helps keep the body guessing (a principle of P-90x).  I am dealing with a shoulder injury right now so I will be staying away from Crossfit movements for a while. 

Doing three days of Crossfit and three days of heavy lifting will only cause you to waste muscle.  Muscle has to have time to rebuild and repair.  I use to lift six days a week and plateaued pretty quick.  I got some advice to move it down to 3-4 days a week and the results were great.  Unless you're pharmaceuticaly enhanced, your body can not recover quick enough to go all out six days a week.     
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hawg Balling

Quote from: ATU HOG on February 04, 2013, 08:48:29 pm

That's what has kept me away from doing Crossfit.  I've got a buddy who's really toned up doing it, but that's a lot of scratch to pay for a freaking workout.  Plus, I'm in decent shape as it is doing my own routines.

ATU HOG

A couple crossfit places here offer students a discount, 75 a month.  If I can scrounger up 75 in the near future, I'm gonna give it a shot.  Going to go to the free days first though.

CallThemHawgs!

The workouts on the main site (Crossfit.com) are free

I have been doing crossfit, seal fit, and hybrid power lifting programs for years and have never paid a penny.

I think most of the people at the crossfit affiliates are effing queers anyway. No thanks, I dont want to paid hundreds of dollars to join your cult. I can do this 20 minute workout and puke on my own.

ldfergu

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 11, 2013, 12:10:56 am
The workouts on the main site (Crossfit.com) are free

I have been doing crossfit, seal fit, and hybrid power lifting programs for years and have never paid a penny.

I think most of the people at the crossfit affiliates are effing queers anyway. No thanks, I dont want to paid hundreds of dollars to join your cult. I can do this 20 minute workout and puke on my own.
haha.  Some can get away with doing the workouts without instruction but most cannot.  Depends on your skill set.  How do you like seal fit?  Was thinking about looking into it

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: ldfergu on February 11, 2013, 01:11:23 am
haha.  Some can get away with doing the workouts without instruction but most cannot.  Depends on your skill set.  How do you like seal fit?  Was thinking about looking into it

Its great man, I started doing it while I was over in Korea a few years ago and fell in love with it.

Its a lot tougher that Crossfit obviously. It has a strength portion, normal timed crossfit WOD, and an endurance portion pretty much every day.

I did it for about 6 months and added in my own powerlifting stuff and the results were insane. Started to get tendonitis in my left knee though so I backed off a bit. If I were to do it again I would do,

3 months SealFit/ powerlifting
1 month powerlifting exclusively
1 month CrossFit

Repeat

Hogsmo Kramer

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/NikBruce_OHpistolonKB_2_th.jpg

^^^THIS^^^ kind of stuff makes me question the logic behind crossfit.

I mean really?! On what planet is that kind of stuff sane?

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 22, 2013, 09:55:01 pm

I do that move every night before bed.  Very practical.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

clutch

There is quite a few things about CrossFit that make me scratch my head.

Hogfly

As others have said, you can do CF from the website. As others have also pointed out, though, some of the CF exercises require some training, practice, and modifications, especially the gymnastics based exercises. The nice thing is that the website has modifications listed if you poke around for various exercises. I already pay for an expensive freaking gym because my wife likes it and wants Les Mills classes, so I can't justify an additional membership to a CF gym.

I'm a kettlebell nut myself, but I do some CF type stuff then Madcow 5x5 whenever I get bored or burnt out on the kettlebells.

I really like to search through the Crossfit WODs for routines to do when I go on vacation and don't have access to a gym, as there are quite a few bodyweight/running WODs out there that don't require equipment or that can be modified to not require it.

pigture perfect

Yeah, my wife wears them, The red one is my favorite. Black is a close second.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Bosshog479

I have been doing CF for over a month. We have never done anything like this. This guy is just showing off how good his core is. I love CF. I made fun of it before my brother tried it. He was bite by the bug and now it has got me too. In VB it's only 50 for intro classes and 105 per month. Couples are 175.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Bosshog479 on March 17, 2013, 02:19:44 pm
I have been doing CF for over a month. We have never done anything like this. This guy is just showing off how good his core is. I love CF. I made fun of it before my brother tried it. He was bite by the bug and now it has got me too. In VB it's only 50 for intro classes and 105 per month. Couples are 175.

Step 1) Learn the basics

Step 2) Learn the movements

Step 3) Join a regular gym and find out when they are not busy

Step 4) Save $70 a month

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Bosshog479 on March 17, 2013, 02:19:44 pm

I'm very aware of crossfit and its methodologies as I've tried it before and that's not the first idiotic thing I've seen associated with it.

I'm also nowhere near a noob when it comes to training and while some of crossfit is ok other methods like high rep oly lifts are less than smart especially with the general population of untrained out of shape individuals.

Regardless, if you like it then I'm no one to tell you not to do it I just hope you are aware of the inherent limitations that exist with crossfit and really any program for that matter. There is no such thing as a one size fits all best program and that includes crossfit but if its your thing then keep on keeping on since there are worse things you could be doing.

P.S. I do agree with John Quincy though their rates are ridiculous.

DeltaBoy

It is too tough for us old broken down Hogs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogsmo Kramer

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/assets_c/2013/05/SierraCousineau_trickriding2-12002.html

Found ^^^This^^^ gem on a crossfit site and thought I'd add it to this thread.

WTH?!

People like that are why I don't do crossfit.  :D

H&D

You don't do crossfit because of Rodeo Trick Riders or Fat Chicks with Planet Fitness t-shirts?
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Iamphatman

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on May 20, 2013, 04:14:12 pm
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/assets_c/2013/05/SierraCousineau_trickriding2-12002.html

Found ^^^This^^^ gem on a crossfit site and thought I'd add it to this thread.

WTH?!

People like that are why I don't do crossfit.  :D

I like crossfit, and it works well for me.  But for you to make blanket judgements about the program because of pictures of idiots from the Internet is a bit unrealistic. Crossfit doesn't involve horses, and I've never seen anyone lift anything on a bar above their head while balancing. That's dangerous and would likely get someone a serious chewing out if they tried it.  There are lots of movements, like hand stand push ups, that look crazy when people do them, but they aren't dumb or dangerous like those photo. Why anyone would stick their face in a horse's butt is beyond me, but it has little to do with the crossfit that I do.

Hogsmo Kramer

May 20, 2013, 06:29:33 pm #34 Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:28:09 pm by Hogsmo Kramer
Quote from: Iamphatman on May 20, 2013, 06:15:11 pm
I like crossfit, and it works well for me.  But for you to make blanket judgements about the program because of pictures of idiots from the Internet is a bit unrealistic. Crossfit doesn't involve horses, and I've never seen anyone lift anything on a bar above their head while balancing. That's dangerous and would likely get someone a serious chewing out if they tried it.  There are lots of movements, like hand stand push ups, that look crazy when people do them, but they aren't dumb or dangerous like those photo. Why anyone would stick their face in a horse's butt is beyond me, but it has little to do with the crossfit that I do.

For your info buddy that photo is on crossfit's main site as was the one I posted before so yes it IS a part of your crossfit otherwise why would it be on their main website?

Also it's a joke. I've done crossfit stuff before and was doing stuff like that long before crossfit came around it's nothing new.

They're just reinventing the wheel, they're not the first to use those methods just the first ones to give it a name and market it to a cult like fervor. 

I know most people don't do that kind of stuff but I thought a photo of a chick sniffing a horses butt was funny sorry if you don't.

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on May 20, 2013, 06:29:33 pm
For your info buddy that photo is on crossfit's main site as was the one I posted before so yes it IS a part of your crossfit otherwise why would it be on their main website?

Also it's a joke. I've done crossfit stuff before and was doing stuff like that long before crossfit came around it's nothing new.

They're just reinventing the wheel, they're not the first to use those methods just the first ones to give it a name and market it to a cult like fervor. 

I know most people don't do that kind of stuff but I thought a photo of a chick sniffing a horses butt was funny sorry if you don't.

Haha, it's pretty easy to get a rise out of crossfitters. I have a few buddies who do it and I say stuff sometimes just to ruffle their feathers. Doesn't take much.

I too have done crossfit type of stuff before, just not crossfit. They take some stuff too far imo, mostly things involving olympic style lifts which should never be performed for high reps, especially when fatigued.

Iamphatman

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on May 20, 2013, 06:29:33 pm

Oh it's hilarious. I'm  just saying its not representative of crossfit in general.