Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For 1st time after multiple updates, NBAdraft.net projects Gafford to 2018 draft

Started by Kevin McPherson, March 13, 2018, 10:17:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

* For 1st time after many mock-draft updates, http://NBAdraft.net  projects Hogs freshman @Dan_G33 to go in the 2018 NBA draft -- 19th overall (1st round) to the Philadelphia 76ers. Until now, the site had projected him as a lottery pick in 2019, but not 1st or 2nd round in 2018.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/973570972510052352

* He's been on http://NBAdraft.net 's Top 100 Big Board for awhile, & tho other sites/mock draft's had him going 1st round, http://NBAdraft.net  presumably believed Gafford was returning to UA ... until now. What does it mean? IDK, but starting to lean toward notion HE GONE!

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/973577772353380352

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

rzrbackramsfan

Gafford is in a win win situation with whatever decision he makes.  I said before he ever stepped on campus that he was one and done.  Just grateful he came to the UofA and also grateful to the recruiting services for letting him fly under the radar  ;D

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 13, 2018, 10:26:47 am
Gafford is in a win win situation with whatever decision he makes.  I said before he ever stepped on campus that he was one and done.  Just grateful he came to the UofA and also grateful to the recruiting services for letting him fly under the radar  ;D
goes to show you it don't matter if you go to Kentucky or not, now Gafford will have the whole state of Arkansas to come back to and Monk will not, most of Kentucky don't even remember monk
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 13, 2018, 10:35:49 am
goes to show you it don't matter if you go to Kentucky or not, now Gafford will have the whole state of Arkansas to come back to and Monk will not, most of Kentucky don't even remember monk

Very true

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

phadedhawg

It was amazing having such a unique talent on the court and I enjoyed every second of it. 

Life is so uncertain, if you have a chance of a lifetime, you have to take it.  Still, my homer heart continues to hope he decides to stay but it ain't happening.  If Arkansas was returning some other talent next year it might tempt him to stay.  Make another NCAA run.  But next year will be a full rebuild and Gafford would have to carry the team.  Depending how Arkansas did, it might drop him in the draft.  Too risky to stay.

masbas3

I want him to go, if I was in his place I'd go in a heartbeat.  You have to think about yourself and your family first, I enjoyed his time here and will follow his career in the NBA just as I do other fellow hogs now in the NBA.

Who's this Monk fellow you speak of?

HogFansReunited

Can't blame the kid if he takes the millions and goes to the NBA. Just grateful for the season that I was able to enjoy with him in a Razorback uniform.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

RazorPiggie

Hope Mike has a backup plan if he goes. In my opinion it would do Gafford some good to come back and try to develop a mid range game but that's really the only thing he needs to work on (other than getting into foul trouble too quick).

Paul

I enjoyed watching the kid hustle back on D & break out full speed on O.  I thank him for being a Hog will enjoy watching him in the NBA.   

Hawg Red

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 13, 2018, 01:13:22 pm
Hope Mike has a backup plan if he goes. In my opinion it would do Gafford some good to come back and try to develop a mid range game but that's really the only thing he needs to work on (other than getting into foul trouble too quick).

What can you do other than sign a grad transfer? The staff viewed him as a two-year player in the offseason, so they were aware he wouldn't be here long. Not many fans and no national media saw him being a one-and-done. He ended up being better than we all thought, and we all thought he was pretty damn good. I bet Gafford has no clue what decision he'll make at this very moment. It's a unique situation in Razorback basketball history. Have we ever had a player that could leave early and be a late-lottery-to-mid-first-round pick that came back to school? Bobby was projected as a second-round pick after his freshman year. Can't recall on Joe Johnson. Brewer got out at the best possible time (like Portis). Can't expect the staff to have some great backup in place for a relatively unexpected occurrence like this. This isn't like knowing all year that B.J. Young or Bobby Portis is probably going to go pro. Gafford started picking up NBA steam in January. It is what it is.

The real Hogules

Who knows, maybe he'll hang around another year, to improve his draft stock and turn himself into a lottery pick.
If he chooses to leave I'll understand and wish Daniel well, but next years team would be built completely around him. Daniel would be our go to guy, he could work on his free throw shooting, while adding some much needed weight that he'll need on the next level.
Either way, just like Bobby P., I appreciate him playing for the Hogs and wish him nothing but the very best!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogsanity

OR he can get drafted and get paid while developing his game....just sayin.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The real Hogules

Well, he did, but Adidas preferred that Mike's backup plan play for Mississippi State.....................

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2018, 01:34:32 pm

I'm aware he can do that. But say he did come back and develop a mid range game. No reason he wouldn't be a top 10 pick. He's a good player but he needs a mid range game.

SemperHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2018, 01:34:32 pm
This.

People don't seem to comprehend that this "development" they all think he needs is much more easily attained in the pros.  He can go play against better competition in the G league and not be inhibited by NCAA rules as far as how much time he can work out.  Eliminates class time ect.  NBA organizations have the best of the best when it comes to developmental staffs.

Not to mention like Hogsanity pointed out, he is drawing a check while doing so.

Only advantage to him coming back is to possibly go higher next year and increase his initial contract numbers if he thinks he can.

The real Hogules

Quote from: SemperHawg on March 13, 2018, 01:42:56 pm
This.

People don't seem to comprehend that this "development" they all think he needs is much more easily attained in the pros.  He can go play against better competition in the G league and not be inhibited by NCAA rules as far as how much time he can work out.  Eliminates class time ect.  NBA organizations have the best of the best when it comes to developmental staffs.

Not to mention like Hogsanity pointed out, he is drawing a check while doing so.

Only advantage to him coming back is to possibly go higher next year and increase his initial contract numbers if he thinks he can.

No, that's not the only advantage to him coming back. He ought to talk to some former players, like Corliss and Bobby P. and see if they could go back, would they possibly stay in college for an additional year, just to be a kid for one more year.
If Daniel's family is desperate for money, then that's totally different, but otherwise he could choose to come back and be the focal point of our team next season. Press conferences where once again everyone's hanging on his every word Vs. picking splinters, but having a large bank account.
I hope that Daniel returns, but will understand completely if he chooses to move on.

SemperHawg

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 13, 2018, 01:52:57 pm
No, that's not the only advantage to him coming back. He ought to talk to some former players, like Corliss and Bobby P. and see if they could go back, would they possibly stay in college for an additional year, just to be a kid for one more year.
If Daniel's family is desperate for money, then that's totally different, but otherwise he could choose to come back and be the focal point of our team next season. Press conferences where once again everyone's hanging on his every word Vs. picking splinters, but having a large bank account.
I hope that Daniel returns, but will understand completely if he chooses to move on.
Anything about todays D-1 Football or Basketball athlete strike you as "just being a kid"?

I hope he stays as well, but getting to hang out in college for another year in the overall grand scheme of things shouldn't figure into the equation.  But at the end of the day none of us are Daniel Gafford so who knows what's important to him.  In my above post, I was speaking specifically to all of the people that seem to think he will develop better in college than in a pro program. 

Mo_Better_Hogs

The comparison to Monk is a good one--who says you need "Kentucky" to pave your way?

JONAS

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 13, 2018, 01:37:05 pm
Well, he did, but Adidas preferred that Mike's backup plan play for Mississippi State.....................

Yep.

cram224

Somebody please tell me why CMA doesn't recruit a center every year. No reason a team can't have more than one center on a team at the same time.

hawgwileywyatt

Hopefully Ethan Henderson can also outperform his ranking from the recruiting services... Congrats to DG! Really wish we had Reggie Perry coming in now! That kid is a special talent as well.

Hawg Red

Gafford back to #19 in ESPN's latest mock. A little steam coming off the hype train. If he's projected in the 20s, I'd imagine it would be an easy decision for him to come back.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 14, 2018, 08:32:40 am
Gafford back to #19 in ESPN's latest mock. A little steam coming off the hype train. If he's projected in the 20s, I'd imagine it would be an easy decision for him to come back.

It is never going to EASY to turn down a few million, even if it is just for 1 more year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on March 14, 2018, 08:40:45 am
It is never going to EASY to turn down a few million, even if it is just for 1 more year.

If his goal is to be a lottery pick or even the #1 pick (both goals have been mentioned for him by others and Gafford himself), being projected in the 20s is going to be an easy decision for him to come back. "Easy" being relative, obviously. I'm sure he'll think about that money, but he'll come back.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 13, 2018, 10:35:49 am

I wish most of arkansas could quit remembering monk.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

010HogFan

porque

He should probably go.  The latest mocks that I've looked at have him going around 19.  The 2017 No. 19 pick is going to make $10 mil over 4 years.  If it was my son, he would be gone.  Too many things can happen in a year's time.  And I realize that he would probably be a lottery pick next year.  $10 mil over 4 years will set you for life as long as you are smart about your money.

hogsanity

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 14, 2018, 08:45:47 am
I wish most of arkansas could quit remembering monk.

I never think of him until someone here that cant quit him brings him up.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

#1 STUNNA

trphog

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 13, 2018, 01:22:27 pm
What can you do other than sign a grad transfer? The staff viewed him as a two-year player in the offseason, so they were aware he wouldn't be here long. Not many fans and no national media saw him being a one-and-done. He ended up being better than we all thought, and we all thought he was pretty damn good. I bet Gafford has no clue what decision he'll make at this very moment. It's a unique situation in Razorback basketball history. Have we ever had a player that could leave early and be a late-lottery-to-mid-first-round pick that came back to school? Bobby was projected as a second-round pick after his freshman year. Can't recall on Joe Johnson. Brewer got out at the best possible time (like Portis). Can't expect the staff to have some great backup in place for a relatively unexpected occurrence like this. This isn't like knowing all year that B.J. Young or Bobby Portis is probably going to go pro. Gafford started picking up NBA steam in January. It is what it is.

Red,  even if Mike thought Gafford would be here 2 years he should of recruited and signed a big man this year. He knew he was losing Trey.  So, Mike had no excuses for not.  I love Chaney and Henderson but they are not a 5 in the SEC.  Both are 4s. I am not even sure if Henderson doesn't think of himself as a 3 because he really does not like to mix it up in HS because he is under weight at 185 lbs.   Maybe in 2 years he will think differently as he gains weight.   I am always saying we probable need to sign a 5 almost every year so we can have one or two playing and one or two developing because some leave early and some do not develop.  We are not going to get many guys like Portis and Gafford especially out of Arkansas.  So Mike needs to get the right body types who have toughness and instincts and develop them.  In Mikes scheme I love big athletic 6'8 types at the 5 as well as the Portis and Gafford built guys.  The 6'8 230+ athletic types can also play the 4.  If Gafford does not come back we have 1 guy on our team over 220 lbs who is Chaney.  That is awful and all the blame goes to Mike and his staff.  I am so frustrated of Mike signing so many players who play only 2 or 3 spots while neglecting the rest of the team.  It would be like our football team signing 7 QBs while neglecting the OLM or WRs.    Mike must sign all 5 spots  so he can win at the highest level.  This will bite him next year if he does not get it corrected.

razorpimp

To Daniel,

You did a great service to not only the UofA but to the entire state by bringing your talents to the hill and playing your butt off for all of our enjoyment!  So do what is best for you and your family!

Thank you for not going to all of those schools that offered you money and followed your heart!  You are the man and one of the all time greats even after only one year.

Thank you!
Signed Razorback nation

Paul

Quote from: porque on March 14, 2018, 09:31:00 am
He should probably go.  The latest mocks that I've looked at have him going around 19.  The 2017 No. 19 pick is going to make $10 mil over 4 years.  If it was my son, he would be gone.  Too many things can happen in a year's time.  And I realize that he would probably be a lottery pick next year.  $10 mil over 4 years will set you for life as long as you are smart about your money.
It's so easy for some of us posters to say he should turn down $10 mil even though most of us won't come near that much in a lifetime