Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LaRon Smith 6-8 grad transfer

Started by klp1, April 29, 2016, 11:08:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

klp1

We may be in the mix for this grad transfer from Bethune-Cookman.  He was one of the leading shot-blockers in the country last year.  Visiting Auburn this weekend. looks like Scotty is reaching out to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnMVmxpP9_E&feature=youtu.be

The_Iceman

nwahogfan1

That would be great.  Can he be an immediate help?  We may need it if Moses leaves but even if Moses returns we need depth if any of our big men have an injury or gets into foul trouble. Lets hope we can get a visit. 

The_Iceman

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 29, 2016, 11:18:42 am
Moses Kingsley replacement?

I really hope not.  He could be a good support player, maybe like Kouassi or a little better?  Provide 5-10 minutes, a few points, rebounds, and blocks?

Hawg Red

Hopefully this is in case Aaron Ross doesn't transfer over and not because Moses is staying in the draft.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 29, 2016, 11:24:35 am
I really hope not.  He could be a good support player, maybe like Kouassi or a little better?  Provide 5-10 minutes, a few points, rebounds, and blocks?

Looks like Kouassi 2.0

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 29, 2016, 11:27:15 am
Looks like Kouassi 2.0
Looks much better than Kouassi ever looked at his previous school, but definitely not someone to replace Moses. Hopefully our interest is just to add depth, without taking up a scholarship multiple years.

hawgwileywyatt

I guess if we take Watkins off scholly we could get 2 grad transfers and not take away from the 17' class. We could still get Ross that way.

I'm still wondering who is the wing that the players were rumored to be saying would come in and start...?

Jonteviosk

Quote from: hawgwileywyatt on April 29, 2016, 12:09:25 pm
I guess if we take Watkins off scholly we could get 2 grad transfers and not take away from the 17' class. We could still get Ross that way.

I'm still wondering who is the wing that the players were rumored to be saying would come in and start...?

Either rumor or Aaron Ross who would start at SF.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Atlhogfan1

Throw out a line and see who bites.  Keep turning the roster over till something works.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

yraciv

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 29, 2016, 11:18:42 am
Moses Kingsley replacement?

I was thinking he is closer to a Kouassi replacement, although slightly better. If Kingsley leaves we're beyond screwed in the post, and I'm usually optimistic about these things.

The_Iceman

Quote from: yraciv on April 29, 2016, 03:22:53 pm
I was thinking he is closer to a Kouassi replacement, although slightly better. If Kingsley leaves we're beyond screwed in the post, and I'm usually optimistic about these things.

Why couldn't Trey Thompson have a Kingsley like jump? Their numbers aren't that far off at this point in their careers.

labb

I think that Thompson will take a big jump....especially if he works as hard this off season as he did last.

Dropkick

Thompson showed flashes this year. I think he can be a big contributor moving forward.

azhog10

All this talk, have we actually reached out to this guy? Or are we causing drama when there's not any?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 29, 2016, 04:53:58 pm
All this talk, have we actually reached out to this guy? Or are we causing drama when there's not any?

Probably.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 29, 2016, 11:20:34 am
27% free throw shooter...ouch!

free throw shooting pct. shows me he is a dunker, shot blocker and rebounder only. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: labb on April 29, 2016, 03:44:20 pm
I think that Thompson will take a big jump....especially if he works as hard this off season as he did last.
I think you are right but we need more depth.  What happens if Moses leaves early or if Moses got into foul trouble or hurt.  We need more 5s who can score, rebound and defend in the low post.

mhuff

April 29, 2016, 05:18:47 pm #19 Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:52:13 pm by mhuff
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 29, 2016, 05:07:46 pm
I think you are right but we need more depth.  What happens if Moses leaves early or if Moses got into foul trouble or hurt.  We need more 5s who can score, rebound and defend in the low post.
This is the long and short of the situation. We had like two of the leading 3p shooters in the SEC and nation. How did that turn out?

yraciv

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 29, 2016, 03:36:39 pm
Why couldn't Trey Thompson have a Kingsley like jump? Their numbers aren't that far off at this point in their careers.

Because Trey Thompson seemed to peak as a prospect as a SO in highschool potential wise, and has been playing basketball his whole life. Hope I'm wrong, just don't see it.

Jonteviosk

What if NWAhogfan1 walked into his drive way and got ran over by a drunk driver? Could happen yes likely nooooooooooooooooo.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

King Kong

Quote from: azhog10 on April 29, 2016, 04:53:58 pm

Yes, Scotty Thurman has contacted him via twitter

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 29, 2016, 11:27:15 am
Looks like Kouassi 2.0

Personally, I would like the pick up. I liked what Kouassi brought. Solid shot blocking at the end of the bench come in handy in certain situations (foul trouble or the Thompson injury) These Grad Transfers are really house money only taking up one year

Just hope he is Watkins scholarship instead of Moses or potentially Ross.

hogwood

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 30, 2016, 07:05:30 am
Personally, I would like the pick up. I liked what Kouassi brought. Solid shot blocking at the end of the bench come in handy in certain situations (foul trouble or the Thompson injury) These Grad Transfers are really house money only taking up one year

If we use Watkins' scholarship for this guy and still add another I am alright with it. Otherwise not a huge fan, but I can't say it would be a negative at all.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogwood on April 30, 2016, 08:52:43 am
If we use Watkins' scholarship for this guy and still add another I am alright with it. Otherwise not a huge fan, but I can't say it would be a negative at all.
Exactly right, I'd just as soon have a Kouassi or Doobie Jenkins type as the unused schollies we've had a number of times.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hawg4life33

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 30, 2016, 07:05:30 am

Agree completely. Basically a one year rental if a scholarship is not used that has no effect on the 2017 class. He has a little bit better numbers than Kouassi and looks a little more athletic. Moses returns this is a really nice backup option for next year along with Thompson.

RealHog

Quote from: Hawg4life33 on April 30, 2016, 11:21:26 am
Agree completely. Basically a one year rental if a scholarship is not used that has no effect on the 2017 class. He has a little bit better numbers than Kouassi and looks a little more athletic. Moses returns this is a really nice backup option for next year along with Thompson.

Yeah if can't have Ross, who I haven't heard anything more than hopeful rumor for, I would take Smith. Love grad transfers as a late add.

azhog10

Quote from: King Kong on April 29, 2016, 09:46:14 pm
Yes, Scotty Thurman has contacted him via twitter
So you personally know a DM was sent or they are just following each other?

King Kong

Quote from: azhog10 on April 30, 2016, 01:57:42 pm
So you personally know a DM was sent or they are just following each other?

Yes to the first. Has also DM with TJ as well

azhog10

RealHog

[tweet]727243766873001984[/tweet]

Oh well. Not a big deal but we could use an extra big. Would be a great to add a GT.