Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thursday bits

Started by Huds_HawgTide, April 28, 2016, 11:53:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

IronMountainHog

Not to sound negative, but I want to see us battling Indiana and Villanova for recruits not Stetson and SMSU. Part of the reason why we are just another program and we sit at home in March.

nwahogfan1

I love those long athletic shooters.  I also like kids who want to stay a while in College and get their degree. I hope this is his plans.

azhog10

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 28, 2016, 02:15:09 pm
Not to sound negative, but I want to see us battling Indiana and Villanova for recruits not Stetson and SMSU. Part of the reason why we are just another program and we sit at home in March.
Yeah Xavier sucks......

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: azhog10 on April 28, 2016, 03:40:49 pm
Yeah Xavier sucks......

you did see the rest of the list right?...

azhog10

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on April 28, 2016, 04:27:53 pm
you did see the rest of the list right?...
Absolutely I did. This kid's recruiting has heated up since club ball started. There's plenty of articles out there that have talked about how he's about to see a lot more offers from bigger schools. Shame on CMA for being one of the firsts. Xavier was the newest team to offer him, so it's obvious bigger/better basketball programs are starting to take note of his play.

There's a thread solely dedicate to slamming CMA and the program. This kid doesn't need that and to act as though he's some scrub with low to mid major programs offering and us being the only major offer is ridiculous. Xavier is a really good basketball program.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: azhog10 on April 28, 2016, 05:13:31 pm
Absolutely I did. This kid's recruiting has heated up since club ball started. There's plenty of articles out there that have talked about how he's about to see a lot more offers from bigger schools. Shame on CMA for being one of the firsts. Xavier was the newest team to offer him, so it's obvious bigger/better basketball programs are starting to take note of his play.

There's a thread solely dedicate to slamming CMA and the program. This kid doesn't need that and to act as though he's some scrub with low to mid major programs offering and us being the only major offer is ridiculous. Xavier is a really good basketball program.

you related to the kid?  You seem a little defensive about him.  Xavier is certainly a good program.  But its certainly resonable to wonder about Mike's recruiting.  If he picks up some nice offers, good for him (and us)

aloha_kid

Four star rated a 94 ... not too bad.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jared-Ridder-85392

Vidya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrRPxVT7nQ

azhog10

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on April 28, 2016, 05:36:10 pm
you related to the kid?  You seem a little defensive about him.  Xavier is certainly a good program.  But its certainly resonable to wonder about Mike's recruiting.  If he picks up some nice offers, good for him (and us)
Not related at all to the kid. He's a top 100 player and we don't get a lot of those. But you can continue to get your panties wet over 3 star football players and down play a top 100 basketball player.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: azhog10 on April 28, 2016, 11:16:12 pm
Not related at all to the kid. He's a top 100 player and we don't get a lot of those. But you can continue to get your panties wet over 3 star football players and down play a top 100 basketball player.

You're kind of weird man

Seebs

I care as much about Razorback basketball as I do about Saddam Hussein's comfort in Hell.  Neither has brought me joy in the past 15 years. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

FineAsSwine

Hope we get this commitment to go along with Hazen, would be great to have two excellent shooters with height.

Recruiting has been noticeably better lately. Hope that trend continues. Lots of talent here at home in the next few years.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Seebs on April 29, 2016, 07:13:53 am
I care as much about Razorback basketball as I do about Saddam Hussein's comfort in Hell.  Neither has brought me joy in the past 15 years.

You cared enough to post about it...

azhog10

Quote from: Seebs on April 29, 2016, 07:13:53 am
Then you must have only had maybe one good season of football, and baseball would be about the only sport you follow if that were the case.

Biggus Piggus

Holy crap. This comment is complete nonsense. First, let's settle this - You are negative. Why did you leave out Xavier? I think I'd take most anybody Xavier has recruited in recent years. Maybe the kid has mid-major offers because they were the first to find him in the middle of nowhere, Missouri. Maybe he had a growth spurt. Maybe he's still a junior in high school.

"Part of the reason why we are just another program" - You just threw this kid into the trash and labeled him as an example of low-bar recruiting, right when Arkansas's finishing up its best recruiting class in many years. You do know that, right?
[CENSORED]!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: azhog10 on April 28, 2016, 03:40:49 pm
Yeah Xavier sucks......
WOW, this statement here proves why most of us don't even give a darn anymore. Apathy. The fact that we aspire to be Xavier. JFC
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

azhog10

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 29, 2016, 10:01:37 am
WOW, this statement here proves why most of us don't even give a darn anymore. Apathy. The fact that we aspire to be Xavier. JFC
Am I taking crazy pills? Xavier since 2000 has made the NCAAT 14 times, the round of 32 10 times, sweet 16 6 times, and the Elite 8 twice. Now I know this isn't football so for some it may be hard to wrap your little brain around. But Xavier is a VERY, VERY, VERY good basketball program in the last 15-20 years where we have not. Their worst record since 1982 was 17-14. They've had 20 wins or more 28 times since 1982, they are not your typical "mid major".

mhuff

Quote from: FineAsSwine on April 29, 2016, 07:45:29 am
Hope we get this commitment to go along with Hazen, would be great to have two excellent shooters with height.

Recruiting has been noticeably better lately. Hope that trend continues. Lots of talent here at home in the next few years.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 29, 2016, 09:15:24 am
Holy crap. This comment is complete nonsense. First, let's settle this - You are negative. Why did you leave out Xavier? I think I'd take most anybody Xavier has recruited in recent years. Maybe the kid has mid-major offers because they were the first to find him in the middle of nowhere, Missouri. Maybe he had a growth spurt. Maybe he's still a junior in high school.

"Part of the reason why we are just another program" - You just threw this kid into the trash and labeled him as an example of low-bar recruiting, right when Arkansas's finishing up its best recruiting class in many years. You do know that, right?
I am negative, because John White,  Frank Broyles,  Stan Heath, John Pelphrey, and Mike Anderson made me be. My once elite program of has been in a 20 year drought. We can't recruit for squat. We cannot even keep the top talent in this state. In the last 2 years the top player not only leaves, but stays in conference. When Nolan built this thing, we went up against Georgetown,  Michigan, and the like. To even put a commuter school from a joke conference in the same category as those schools is foolish. As far as their research in finding a kid in nowhere Missouri, he is at the biggest high school in a town of 120,000 people. I mean no disrespect to anyone or this kid, I'm just saying we have settled more often than not.

IronMountainHog

I'm sorry but I want who Duke wants, who Kansas wants, who North Carolina wants. Xavier not so much.

Biggus Piggus

WTH? What do you know about Xavier?

This season 28-6.
Year before 23-14.
Before that
21-13
17-14
23-13
24-8
26-9
27-8
30-7
25-9
21-11

and so on

Pete Gillen 202-75, Skip Prosser 148-65 , Thad Matta 78-23, Sean Miller 120-47, Chris Mack 162-77. Do you see those W-L numbers? Five consecutive coaches have been winners at Xavier.

Nothing sad whatsoever about envying Xavier. Wish Arkansas could hire coaches as well as Xavier has. Wouldn't have any of that Heath/Pelphrey darn in there.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 29, 2016, 11:41:49 am
I am negative, because John White,  Frank Broyles,  Stan Heath, John Pelphrey, and Mike Anderson made me be. My once elite program of has been in a 20 year drought. We can't recruit for squat. We cannot even keep the top talent in this state. In the last 2 years the top player not only leaves, but stays in conference. When Nolan built this thing, we went up against Georgetown,  Michigan, and the like. To even put a commuter school from a joke conference in the same category as those schools is foolish. As far as their research in finding a kid in nowhere Missouri, he is at the biggest high school in a town of 120,000 people. I mean no disrespect to anyone or this kid, I'm just saying we have settled more often than not.

Your perspective hasn't changed in 20 years? Insane.

Town of 120K impresses you? ROFL. It's a [CENSORED] mudhole.

What made Arkansas basketball once-great was that IMMEDIATELY upon the first whiff of winning, fans packed Barnhill and gave the Hogs a tremendous home court advantage. Fan support was ever-present. Didn't matter what day of the week.

I don't care what the excuses are. Without superior fan support, Arkansas basketball will never be prime time again. It was what was special about us.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

You don't want this?

2009–10    Xavier    26–9            NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2010–11    Xavier    24–8            NCAA Second Round
2011–12    Xavier    23–13          NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13    Xavier    17–14        
2013–14    Xavier    21–13         NCAA First Round
2014–15    Xavier    23–14         NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2015–16    Xavier    28–6            NCAA Second Round

The_Iceman

How ignorant has our fanbase become when we started complaining about recruiting a 4-star, 6'7" forward that can shoot?

IronMountainHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 29, 2016, 12:47:56 pm
How ignorant has our fanbase become when we started complaining about recruiting a 4-star, 6'7" forward that can shoot?
Where are all the big offers? X and us are it?

King Kong

The_Iceman

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 29, 2016, 12:57:47 pm
Where are all the big offers? X and us are it?

So we complain when Mike is too early recruiting a kid, and then also complain when Mike is too late?

I have been very critical of Mike recently, but there is nothing to criticize here. Ridder is a deadly outside shooter and we need all of those that we can get. There was another 6'6"-6'7" shooting forward that did pretty well for us back in 1994 if I recall.

Seebs

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 29, 2016, 08:23:07 am
You cared enough to post about it...

Discussed in the wrong forum. Perhaps someone should move to Basketball Recruiting or Jumpball. I promise not to post in there, at least not much.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Seebs

Quote from: azhog10 on April 29, 2016, 09:00:45 am
Then you must have only had maybe one good season of football, and baseball would be about the only sport you follow if that were the case.

Love anything Razorback - but cannot put myself through the pain of Basketball. I tried, God help me I tried. Listen to all baseball games and try to read on everything football. But after we lose to East Tennessee State at home, it is time to wait for the band wagon to come around again.  Perhaps Mike got iot right with this next group - would be happy to see it.

azhog10

Quote from: Seebs on April 29, 2016, 01:06:54 pm
Love anything Razorback - but cannot put myself through the pain of Basketball. I tried, God help me I tried. Listen to all baseball games and try to read on everything football. But after we lose to East Tennessee State at home, it is time to wait for the band wagon to come around again.  Perhaps Mike got iot right with this next group - would be happy to see it.
But losing to Toledo or ULM in LR has you excited? GTFO

Seebs

Quote from: azhog10 on April 29, 2016, 01:36:09 pm
But losing to Toledo or ULM in LR has you excited? GTFO

Well, to be honest those were two of the most exciting games ever, just with crappy outcomes.  I sense you have an ax to grind - look elsewhere. I do not suffer fools well.

azhog10

Quote from: Seebs on April 29, 2016, 02:04:10 pm
Well, to be honest those were two of the most exciting games ever, just with crappy outcomes.  I sense you have an ax to grind - look elsewhere. I do not suffer fools well.
I get it, so who we lose to doesn't matter as long as it came down to the final play.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on April 29, 2016, 06:27:10 am
You're kind of weird man

You're the one complaining that were recruiting a 4 star basketball player because his offer list doesn't satisfy you.  Michael qualls didn't have a whole lot of offers either. 

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 30, 2016, 01:27:07 pm
You're the one complaining that were recruiting a 4 star basketball player because his offer list doesn't satisfy you.  Michael qualls didn't have a whole lot of offers either. 

Now you're just making stuff up. Oh, and I dont look at stars.

Pig in the Pokey

Never said I wouldn't take Xavier's record but they haven't WON darn. I would never aspire to BE XAVIER, I mean, wth? That's pathetic. We , even after their recent surge, have a far better history than they do. Screw Xavier and screw the poor lil-ole-arkiesaw-we-should-be-like-a-MID-MAJOR line of thinking. I stand by my previous statement of "PATHETIC".

Players... Xavier hasn't had many good ones. 2 currently in the league, both bums. We don't need Xavier-like players.

fwiw, i actually like this recruit, BH.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

IronMountainHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 30, 2016, 01:27:07 pm
And how'd that work out?

HardingHog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 30, 2016, 04:37:08 pm
And how'd that work out?

2nd Team All-SEC. 15.9 ppg, 5 reb. Second best player on a 27-9 team that went to 2nd round of NCAAT. One of the most entertaining players to watch in the last decade of Arkansas basketball (because of his high flying dunks). He's not some incredible legend, but he was a really good player at Arkansas. If Ridder has this same type of statistical career that would be fantastic

jjdlc

Ridder just picked up an offer from Okie St.  It's early, and this kids recruiting is starting to heat up, the offers will come, hopefully the fact that we were early will help.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 29, 2016, 11:41:49 am

I went to that high school and it's actually one of the best basketball programs in the state in the largest division.  And just Springfield is 165,000 the metro is probably around 225,000. 

Sorry that we're not a top ten program but that doesn't happen overnight.  Maybe once we get a, say, Xavier level, then we can start competing for top level kids that we have no relationship with, but right now, maybe our coaches can get in the conversation a little bit with guys like Terrance Ferguson but it makes no sense for the number 8 player out of Chicago to come to Arkansas. 

You should really see this post not as a debate counterpoint but rather presenting the facts for your own education.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 29, 2016, 12:47:56 pm

Would be an immediate upgrade.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

IronMountainHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 30, 2016, 08:43:58 pm
I went to that high school and it's actually one of the best basketball programs in the state in the largest division.  And just Springfield is 165,000 the metro is probably around 225,000. 

Sorry that we're not a top ten program but that doesn't happen overnight.  Maybe once we get a, say, Xavier level, then we can start competing for top level kids that we have no relationship with, but right now, maybe our coaches can get in the conversation a little bit with guys like Terrance Ferguson but it makes no sense for the number 8 player out of Chicago to come to Arkansas. 

You should really see this post not as a debate counterpoint but rather presenting the facts for your own education.
Thanks for the education. Xavier level lol. It's not how good your program is, it's how good your coaches coach and interact with AAU programs. We have no one on this staff with AAU connections. Being Xavier level didn't stop Auburn, Mississippi State, Alabama from signing McDonald All American types in their first year with new coaches. Hell other than Portis, we have lost most of the top players in THIS state the last 5 years. I guess we better patch our fence before we go elsewhere.

IronMountainHog

The true mark of this programs recruiting efforts will show if this kid passes on us. In on him early - check, been on campus- check, girlfriend approves - check. I also assumed we would get Monk, so what do I know. We'll what I do know is we have a mediocre program with a staff who can't recruit very well or keep the ones we do get from transferring. Not a single kid left from last year's class is just ridiculous.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 30, 2016, 10:26:53 pm
Thanks for the education. Xavier level lol. It's not how good your program is, it's how good your coaches coach and interact with AAU programs. We have no one on this staff with AAU connections. Being Xavier level didn't stop Auburn, Mississippi State, Alabama from signing McDonald All American types in their first year with new coaches. Hell other than Portis, we have lost most of the top players in THIS state the last 5 years. I guess we better patch our fence before we go elsewhere.

I'll call this post "continuing education"

the picture in the post below should go here.

look man, recruiting isn't about one player and how ms. St got Malik Newman and how me missed on monk, it's about getting the right recruits and building the program, if we can become a way better program then maybe we can start to expect to be in on top 20 recruits instead of top 100 recruits which is better then where we used to recruit but programs like auburn, ms St and Alabama getting McDonald aa's every now and then should be considered random. 

And I love how you make fun of us for striving to be Xavier when apparently you want us to be like auburn Alabama and ms st.   

rzrbackramsfan

IronMountainHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 30, 2016, 11:13:39 pm
I'll call this post "continuing education"

the picture in the post below should go here.

look man, recruiting isn't about one player and how ms. St got Malik Newman and how me missed on monk, it's about getting the right recruits and building the program, if we can become a way better program then maybe we can start to expect to be in on top 20 recruits instead of top 100 recruits which is better then where we used to recruit but programs like auburn, ms St and Alabama getting McDonald aa's every now and then should be considered random. 

And I love how you make fun of us for striving to be Xavier when apparently you want us to be like auburn Alabama and ms st.   
How many Final Fours has Xavier been to in their history? Zero. Arkansas 6. Until 1990 they had never even made the sweet sixteen. It's sorry how far this program has fallen for you to compare us against them.

ricepig

Quote from: IronMountainHog on May 01, 2016, 10:03:51 am
How many Final Fours has Xavier been to in their history? Zero. Arkansas 6. Until 1990 they had never even made the sweet sixteen. It's sorry how far this program has fallen for you to compare us against them.

You need to come to grip with reality, we haven't done much since 1995, Xavier has. It's a fact, we aren't seen as a "player" these days, now that is sad.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 01, 2016, 10:10:44 am
You need to come to grip with reality, we haven't done much since 1995, Xavier has. It's a fact, we aren't seen as a "player" these days, now that is sad.
I agree and that is the point I'm getting at. How did Texas get Kevin Durant to go from Baltimore to Texas, how did Kansas State get Micheal Beasley to go from Maryland to Manhattan. Neither were basketball traditional powers? They hired coaches with AAU connections and aimed high. Rick Barnes has (3) 4 star kids in this current class and not any are in state. Bob Huggins at West Virginia has (2) 4 star kids in this class not from in state. All I'm saying is its not always the school, it's the coach getting out and hitting the circuit. Will Thurman help this staff? I hope, but Anderson needs to get after it.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 30, 2016, 08:43:58 pm

Did it make sense when Terrance Ferguson was committed to Bama for almost a year?

theFlyingHog

Wow! I have never seen RD's Bits get people this worked up!
Every post I read in this thread I have to check and make sure I didn't F my way into Jump Ball.