Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any news on a new asst Ladies BB Coach?

Started by nwahogfan1, April 17, 2016, 07:55:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Will it be a man or woman?  Will they be a lead recruiter or a on court teaching/coaching/motivation hire? 

Any guesses?

Any more or Jimmy's assistants leaving?

Hogtied85

I've been watching Coach Dykes twitter he has a new follower Jocelyn Wyatt an assistant coach at Penn State.

psycHOGlogist

There are rumors that Tari has been interviewing, but I haven't heard any announcements. She tweeted recently that she was going on several recruiting trips for the Hogs. (One of the trips was to Phoenix, where Mallory Vaughn's team was playing in a tournament.)

As for coaches - the University of Nebraska just had a rather unexpected coaching change (Connie Yori stepped down after allegations of abusing players), so her assistants are probably on the market.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Kevin on April 18, 2016, 11:24:41 am
huge hire this time

Just wondering if that is a hope? A prediction? A fact?

Hogtied85

is there an annoucement coming tomorrow???

Kevin

Sorry should have said this needs to be a huge hire
I did not mean to imply I knew anything
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogtied85

Kelsey Brooks is graduating so i'm not sure if she is staying. Any news on new assistant yet? Any clues available.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Hogtired10 on April 21, 2016, 09:33:15 am
Kelsey Brooks is graduating so [i'm] not [sure if she is] staying.

If I were a betting man, I'd read your sentence omitting the words in brackets.

And I haven't heard anything on a coaching hire yet.

Hogtied85

I believe Jimmy Dykes has hired  Jocelyn Wyatt.

Penn State is now looking for an assistant coach

nwahogfan1

April 23, 2016, 11:56:00 am #10 Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:07:36 pm by nwahogfan1
Quote from: Hogtired10 on April 23, 2016, 10:37:50 am
I believe Jimmy Dykes has hired  Jocelyn Wyatt.

Penn State is now looking for an assistant coach

If this is the case.  What would you say about this hire?  Great?  Serviceable?  Great recruiter?  great floor coach?

I looked her up  and she has coached exclusively in the Southeast except for the 2 years as an Asst. at Penn St.  Never been a HC before but has been an Assistant Coach at several schools and has several years of experience.  If she is leaving Penn State I figure it was to get back to the South.  I hope she has lots of ties to the state of Ga.

psycHOGlogist

She is still listed on PSU's website, but that may not mean anything. She seems focused on defense and guards, which might be a good fit. Her twitter still lists her as PSU Assistant Coach, but again, you probably wouldn't change that until after an announcement.

I would be okay with this hire, if it happens.

rjm1940

Have we  lost an assistant coach or would a new hire be a staff expansion?

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: rjm1940 on April 24, 2016, 06:48:27 am
Have we  lost an assistant coach or would a new hire be a staff expansion?
We lost Christy Smith who became a head coach at another Division I school.

Dr. Starcs

jseinfeld50

CSmith went to San Antonio - Incarnate Word

rjm1940

I am sorry CS left the program.  She is one of my all-time favorites.

I expected her to become a head coach someday and I am happy for her.  I do hope she went to a program where she has a chance to be a winner.

I would feel better about this if we had a great season and she went to a top program.  I would have liked a move similar to the one Kirby Smart made.

psycHOGlogist

I don't think there is any comparison between Kirby Smart, a long time Coordinator for a top program with multiple national championships, and Christy Smith, a great collegiate WBB player with short assistant coaching stints at a variety of good but not great WBB programs. Maybe one day Christy will have that kind of resume, but at present she doesn't. All signs point to this being a pretty unhappy break up, and I suspect Christy took the first reasonable train out of town. I wish that weren't the case, but it very probably is.

3kgthog

So, is the JD ship slowly sinking? It seems all I've heard about is discontent throughout the program since the beginning of the season to the end.

nwahogfan1

April 26, 2016, 05:07:54 pm #19 Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:40:56 pm by nwahogfan1
Quote from: 3kgthog on April 26, 2016, 02:37:44 pm
So, is the JD ship slowly sinking? It seems all I've heard about is discontent throughout the program since the beginning of the season to the end.
I don't see a sinking ship. Whenever you coach at a high level so visible there is those who love you and those who hate you and those in between.  Jimmy will get 5 years at least unless he really misses up.

Scott7703

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 26, 2016, 02:37:44 pm

I'm not exactly sure where that thought is coming from?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 27, 2016, 02:17:41 am
Well, at least we're not Kentucky?

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2016/04/26/recruits-add-uk-womens-defections/83552882/

Wow.  Kentucky is a total dumpster fire.  Head Coach says each player wanting to leave is different and not tied to one particular thing but I would be surprised if this is the case.  I think both assistants are leaving also something is definitely wrong.   

ricepig

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 27, 2016, 07:27:32 am
Wow.  Kentucky is a total dumpster fire.  Head Coach says each player wanting to leave is different and not tied to one particular thing but I would be surprised if this is the case.  I think both assistants are leaving also something is definitely wrong.   

Women......can't live with em, can't shoot em.....J/K, I was talking with our high school AD once, he had coached men in college, high school, and girls in high school. He said by far, the hardest group was the high school girls, too much distractions going on all the time.

psycHOGlogist

Not Kentucky, but Vandy's long-term (and all-time winningest) coach announced her resignation today, too. Not sure if resignation should be in " " marks there or not. They haven't been very good for a few years, but I would have thought Balcomb was untouchable there.

Such a strange off-season. Nebraska, Vandy, and maybe Duke may all have coaching changes (McCallie is under investigation there) rather late in the game.

psycHOGlogist

And CJD is now following Ashley Earley, Vandy Asst Coach, on twitter.

nwahogfan1

I guess the Penn State assistant coach rumor was just a rumor?

psycHOGlogist

I think it's definitely possible that she's a candidate (using the clearly infallible "CJD is following her on twitter" metric - lol). But it's hard to believe it's a done deal at this point. Who knows, though? Hog63 is usually the poster on here with the most insight into coaching/roster moves. Wonder if he knows anything (she?).

flippinhogmana

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 28, 2016, 07:35:59 am
No hire has been made...

Lets hope no hire has been made because Jimmy has a boat load of applicants and he is interviewing all of them and that takes time as opposed to he has not found a qualified applicant yet.  LOL.

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 27, 2016, 09:37:36 pm
And CJD is now following Ashley Earley, Vandy Asst Coach, on twitter.

Really interesting considering that Melanie Balcomb has resigned at Vandy

Scott7703

hog63

Heard his top choice is a male who has a connection to someone close to the program.

Admin may push for him to hire a female

Scott7703

Quote from: hog63 on April 29, 2016, 09:39:57 pm
Heard his top choice is a male who has a connection to someone close to the program.

Is this male a name I women's college basketball or have women's college coaching/recruiting experience?

jseinfeld50

May 01, 2016, 01:52:23 pm #36 Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 06:42:37 pm by jseinfeld50
Quote from: BWS on May 01, 2016, 01:15:35 pm
MZ

if so, terrible hire. another Deffebaugh type hire and that's really bad.

hog63

Quote from: Scott7703 on May 01, 2016, 01:00:26 pm

Is this male a name I women's college basketball or have women's college coaching/recruiting experience?

All I can say at this point is yes he does have coaching experience. Not sure that he has ever had college coaching experience. I do not think it would be a good hire.

And to also answer BWS's question MZ is NOT the name I am hearing.

ricepig

Quote from: hog63 on May 02, 2016, 10:22:33 am
All I can say at this point is yes he does have coaching experience. Not sure that he has ever had college coaching experience. I do not think it would be a good hire.

And to also answer BWS's question MZ is NOT the name I am hearing.

RS??

Dr. Starcs

ricepig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 02, 2016, 11:54:26 am
Robert Shields?

Lord, help us all.

Nope, although he seems to have some knowledge in their bathroom secrets.....

psycHOGlogist

I will wait until the hire is announced, but if it's another Deffebaugh type hire, my concerns about the direction of the program are going to go way up.

Porked Tongue

yraciv

Quote from: hog63 on April 29, 2016, 09:39:57 pm

Notes Richardson making a comeback?

Porked Tongue

psycHOGlogist

CJD is no longer following Coach Wyatt on twitter. Man, he's got some turnover among his follows! lol

jackflash

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: jackflash on May 03, 2016, 09:08:18 am
who is Ashley Earley?

Former star at Vanderbilt.  She has been an assistant at Vanderbilt for the past few years and before that at Virginia.  She coaches post players.  She would be a great choice and should be available.  Google her and you will find out everything that you want to know.

jackflash

Did google her. Liked what  I saw and read. Agree she would be a great choice.

LadybackBBFan

I wonder what the delay is?  This appears to be taking longer than it should?