Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updates on Jamal Jones and Desmond Lee

Started by -Blu, March 27, 2013, 06:18:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Don't know if many of you got to hear this on 99.5 this morning or not, but they had a guy from jucorecruiting.com giving updates on Arkansas recruiting for Jones and Lee.

He said we were in a solid position to get Jones, we were the first team to come to the Lee college to watch him workout, and we had our entire staff there.  He also mentioned that Texas A&M was still heavy on him, and he's picked up interest from Baylor and Georgetown as well.  And finally he mentioned that Jones could be one of those guys that we don't know what he's going to do until late April or May.

On the Lee situation.  He says Lee is probably a long shot for us.  He said it's never a good thing when your not listed in the first 3 visits.  He said he wouldn't be surprised if Lee committed to NC State right after his visit there.

So with that said, assuming we don't get Lee, what do you guys think will happen with our pg situation?  I haven't heard much about these other pgs we are looking at, will we be able to get one, or will Madden or Wagner have to step up?

OnTheHillHogFan

It would be very surprising if we don't get Jones
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Fayettechill14

I think Madden will do fine as the PG next year. Lee (or even that Sina kid) wouldn't be better than him in year one, and Madden gives us extra rebounding ability as well. I think it will help with team chemistry to have him run the point, as I expect him to have a good year next year.

That said, Wagner is still a possibility to step up and play.

UNCLE BACK

Danny J

I may be in the minority but if we don't get a PG or combo guard who can lead and shoot we are in big trouble again. If we are counting on Madden, Scott and Wagner to play the point we are going to struggle on the road again. I have seen flashes from Madden and Scott but zero consistency and willingness to shoot consistently without hesitation. Now...IF, big IF, Madden will play consistently like he did the last few minutes against Vandy we may be on to something.

There is a reason we are out looking for a PG when we currently have 3 on our team. That should tell people all they need to know about what the coaches think. Lee would start next year as a PG. Maybe not the first several games but by SEC play or a game or two in he would be starting if not sooner.

labb

Lee is a combo guard that sometimes plays the point but does not start as the PG for his team. If you are expecting him to be the prototype PG then you are going to be disappointed. I doubt that it matters, probably NC State bound.

Razorod

Quote from: labb on March 27, 2013, 09:01:32 pm
Lee is a combo guard that sometimes plays the point but does not start as the PG for his team. If you are expecting him to be the prototype PG then you are going to be disappointed. I doubt that it matters, probably NC State bound.
Correct. Lee is/was not the solution to the PG position.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: Razorod on March 27, 2013, 09:17:44 pm
I say we wait until next year to recruit a true point guard.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Fayettechill14

Quote from: pridgehog on March 27, 2013, 08:34:03 pm
Kikko as PG

Off the bench. Kikko's best weapon is his change of pace...without it he's a decent shooter and passer without much else. If he played more than about 16-18 minutes per game, he would tire and not provide the sudden burst of energy that is his trademark.

razorhead94

Quote from: Hogfan991 on March 27, 2013, 09:21:31 pm
I say we wait until next year to recruit a true point guard.

Beard says hi
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

WBOBO

I think Ky Madden will be the PG next year and will do outstanding.  This will be year 3 in Mike's system and the last 5 games of the season he started to blossom.  He's quick, good in rebounding and see's the floor better than anyone on the team.  I think he will work on his shot this offseason and be ready to quarterback the team for next year.  Just his gene pool alone tells
me he's ready to take the reigns.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Razorod on March 27, 2013, 09:17:44 pm

I see lee as the replacement for BJ, not the answer to the PG spot.

colt-45

Quote from: WBOBO on March 27, 2013, 10:13:54 pm
I think Ky Madden will be the PG next year and will do outstanding.  This will be year 3 in Mike's system and the last 5 games of the season he started to blossom.  He's quick, good in rebounding and see's the floor better than anyone on the team.  I think he will work on his shot this offseason and be ready to quarterback the team for next year.  Just his gene pool alone tells

I hope your right. I really think that's what this team is missing is a true PG that can distribute the ball, play good on ball D and instill confidence in the guys when they are on the road. When is the last real guy like that, that we had? Kareem Reid maybe?

jry04

I am not saying Lee is coming here, but if BJ announces soon it will help us land Lee a lot more than people think. Lee was definitely not coming if BJ stayed. He still may not come, but our chances will go up.

Also, us not being in the first 3 visits is a bad thing only if he commits after one of those first 3 visits. We will be fresh on his mind when signing day comes if he visits us.

mhuff

March 28, 2013, 01:06:51 pm #14 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:41:23 pm by mhuff
Quote from: WBOBO on March 27, 2013, 10:13:54 pm

I think you are right on time. He also did a good job of pushing the ball down the floor those last five games. If he had pulled up and shot that short shot the whole season, he would have scored in double digits. Maybe the light is coming on.

I am also proud that he has held his temper in check while on the Hill.

poloprince

Quote from: labb on March 27, 2013, 09:01:32 pm

Last season i heard Coty Clarke was Georgia bound.
$PoLoPrInCe$

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 27, 2013, 08:35:44 pm
I may be in the minority but if we don't get a PG or combo guard who can lead and shoot we are in big trouble again. If we are counting on Madden, Scott and Wagner to play the point we are going to struggle on the road again. I have seen flashes from Madden and Scott but zero consistency and willingness to shoot consistently without hesitation. Now...IF, big IF, Madden will play consistently like he did the last few minutes against Vandy we may be on to something.

There is a reason we are out looking for a PG when we currently have 3 on our team. That should tell people all they need to know about what the coaches think. Lee would start next year as a PG. Maybe not the first several games but by SEC play or a game or two in he would be starting if not sooner.
I am with you.   PG by committe tells me we dont have a #1 but several # 2's at that position.   Sure would be nice to get a stand out PG but late in the recruiting game is probable too much to ask.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 28, 2013, 03:31:54 pm
  I am with you.   PG by committe tells me we dont have a #1 but several # 2's at that position.   Sure would be nice to get a stand out PG but late in the recruiting game is probable too much to ask.

Who would you get if we could?

jry04

Personally, I think Madden is more than capable of being our PG. He takes care of the ball well, can drive to the basket, and has a pretty nice pull up from 10-15 feet. He needs to learn to be more aggressive, but maybe that will happen as a junior. Many coaches say the most improvement is seen from their sophomore to their junior seasons.

Being 6'5", he has the ability to shoot over his opponent. If he puts in the work this summer I think he will be our starting PG. He has the ability.

Danny J

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 29, 2013, 09:11:04 am
Personally, I think Madden is more than capable of being our PG. He takes care of the ball well, can drive to the basket, and has a pretty nice pull up from 10-15 feet. He needs to learn to be more aggressive, but maybe that will happen as a junior. Many coaches say the most improvement is seen from their sophomore to their junior seasons.

Being 6'5", he has the ability to shoot over his opponent. If he puts in the work this summer I think he will be our starting PG. He has the ability.
Oh....I think he is capable of being a good PG and have seen flashes. No consistency and lack of aggressiveness concern me. If by the end of sophomore year he isn't ready to step up and lead and score then likely he won't as a junior. When I think about our good PG's over the years you can always tell by freshman year if a person is capable and certainly by his sophomore year. I hope he proves me wrong but right now I just don't see it and certainly wouldn't bank on it when we have seen very little evidence to date. Only flashes.

Razorod

Desmond Lee wrapping up visit with NCState today. Be interested to see if he commits coming off this visit or keeps it open.

Scheduled to visit Creighton next.

jseinfeld50

Don't know the reliability of this writer but...

http://oldnorthbanter.com/2013/03/30/n-c-state-basketball-recruiting-desmond-lee-officially-visiting-wolfpack/

NC State has intensified their efforts. It appears Rodney Purvis maybe transferring (to UConn).

Razorod

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on March 31, 2013, 09:20:36 pm
Don't know the reliability of this writer but...

http://oldnorthbanter.com/2013/03/30/n-c-state-basketball-recruiting-desmond-lee-officially-visiting-wolfpack/

NC State has intensified their efforts. It appears Rodney Purvis maybe transferring (to UConn).
Which, if true, would free up a lot of minutes. Something that would be important to a JUCO transfer. Also, much closer to his Virginia home and daughter.

batmanfan

Any clue when Lee and Jones are visiting?  I can't find anyone on twitter saying Lee is even going to visit here.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

The_Iceman

Quote from: batmanfan on April 02, 2013, 11:02:00 am
Any clue when Lee and Jones are visiting?  I can't find anyone on twitter saying Lee is even going to visit here.

Jones is visiting very soon, maybe this weekend or next.

labb

Latest news I have heard on Jones was that he and his coach would sit down after the final four and decide on when to visit Arkansas and any other visits he might want to take. Lee at this time does not have us listed as one of his visits.

jry04

Quote from: labb on April 02, 2013, 11:19:12 am
Latest news I have heard on Jones was that he and his coach would sit down after the final four and decide on when to visit Arkansas and any other visits he might want to take. Lee at this time does not have us listed as one of his visits.

According to Lee's coach he took an unofficial to Baylor a week ago, and is going to visit NC State, Creighton, and Arkansas officially.

FATHAWG08

Good Guard play makes the Big Men look beter than they are. They control the game. Example Louisville. The reason Duke couldn't stay will Louisville is because they could not contain Louisvile's Guards. Great Guards make most Big Men Better. They get them the ball near the rim.
I love off season Football!!

labb

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on April 02, 2013, 11:24:03 am
According to Lee's coach he took an unofficial to Baylor a week ago, and is going to visit NC State, Creighton, and Arkansas officially.
Then this per Joe Soriano may not be accurate:

The North Carolina State Wolfpack are hosting 2014 JUCO shooting guard Desmond Lee this weekend, and this is the third and final official visit of Lee's recruitment. He took two official trips to the Creighton Bluejays and Baylor Bears, as these three teams are the final three in his recruitment. Lee visited Creighton in early February, and his official visit to Waco came just before his current official visit to check out Mark Gottfried and N.C. State.

booogaga

When are we starting on the basketball practice facility. I wish we had something to show these kids coming in.
GO HOGS!

jry04

Quote from: labb on April 02, 2013, 01:26:43 pm
Then this per Joe Soriano may not be accurate:

The North Carolina State Wolfpack are hosting 2014 JUCO shooting guard Desmond Lee this weekend, and this is the third and final official visit of Lee’s recruitment. He took two official trips to the Creighton Bluejays and Baylor Bears, as these three teams are the final three in his recruitment. Lee visited Creighton in early February, and his official visit to Waco came just before his current official visit to check out Mark Gottfried and N.C. State.

Interesting. When was this?

On March 25th Dudley said Lee was going to take an official to Arkansas, according to Lee's coach.

labb

March 30. This guy is some writer that covers North Carolina sports. He may not have it right. Dawson does not usually post that type of info without confirming it.

azhog10

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on April 02, 2013, 01:43:55 pm
Interesting. When was this?

On March 25th Dudley said Lee was going to take an official to Arkansas, according to Lee's coach.
I believe the visit to Baylor was an unofficial visit. At least that's what was reported before.

3BoarsDown

Lee may announce tomorrow.

Obviously not the Hogs if he does.

jry04

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on April 02, 2013, 11:24:03 am
Quote from: azhog10 on April 03, 2013, 02:48:28 am
I believe the visit to Baylor was an unofficial visit. At least that's what was reported before.

The_Iceman

Quote from: labb on April 02, 2013, 02:22:17 pm
March 30. This guy is some writer that covers North Carolina sports. He may not have it right. Dawson does not usually post that type of info without confirming it.

Dudley said this morning he felt very good about Jones being a Hog.

As for Lee, he may have been told Lee was going to visit, and then Lee changed his mind. Doesn't mean he was wrong, just that thinks changed.

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 03, 2013, 12:01:06 pm

As for Lee, he may have been told Lee was going to visit, and then Lee changed his mind. Doesn't mean he was wrong, just that thinks changed.
I think Jones is a done deal....Ark kid, we need a shooter AND I think he wants to play against Ole Miss. Just speculation on my part.

I don't feel good at all about Lee. I think that is why we are scouring the country looking for a PG. I would almost rather them find a pure shooting guard than get tied up with a guy who provides nothing different than what we already have at the point.

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 03, 2013, 12:01:06 pm

He will be.

UltimateHog

Lee officially visited Creighton Tuesday.

QuoteDesmond Lee, a 6-3 guard out of New Mexico JC, is on an official visit at Creighton today. Lee visited NC State over the weekend and was at Baylor last week. Look for a decision to come pretty soon.

No mention of Arkansas, might as well forget about him folks.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

azhog10

Quote from: UltimateHog on April 04, 2013, 05:01:26 am
Lee officially visited Creighton Tuesday.

No mention of Arkansas, might as well forget about him folks.
Baylor was an unofficial per his coach. Now he may not take his last visit, but he does still have one to use. If he does come for a visit all bets are off as far as where he goes. But we do have back up plans just in case we don't get him. Also there are some of Mickelson's relatives who are posting that Hunter will be gone by the summer. If that's the case that leaves us with a scholly to look for another shooter or grab two PG's along with Jones to finish out this class.

UltimateHog

Mickelson will likely be here next year.

Jucorecruiting.com to follow Lee, they update on him every few days.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

mmhogs17

We'll see if Lee makes his visit next weekend.

Danny J

Quote from: mmhogs17 on April 05, 2013, 03:27:35 am
We'll see if Lee makes his visit next weekend.
Have you heard if he is interested in visiting....at all?

-Blu

Latest on Jamal Jones, looks like we shouldn't expect a commit next weekend.  From the sounds of the article he'll be a hog unless he just see's a huge red flag on his visit or someone else just "wows" him.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/Former-Searcy-standout-Jamal-Jones-talks-Arkansas-visit-124970

sunalmighty79

Quote from: daSnake014 on April 05, 2013, 04:18:11 pm
Latest on Jamal Jones, looks like we shouldn't expect a commit next weekend.  From the sounds of the article he'll be a hog unless he just see's a huge red flag on his visit or someone else just "wows" him.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/Former-Searcy-standout-Jamal-Jones-talks-Arkansas-visit-124970
I think he will, but he OWES it to himself to see what else is out there. What's wrong with that? Nothing

mhuff

Quote from: daSnake014 on April 05, 2013, 04:18:11 pm

Don't know what red flags might be out there. It seems like he should see that there's a great opportunity on the Hill. He sounds like a player who would just as soon set up a teammate as shoot himself.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on April 05, 2013, 07:54:55 pm
Don't know what red flags might be out there. It seems like he should see that there's a great opportunity on the Hill. He sounds like a player who would just as soon set up a teammate as shoot himself.

Yea I don't think there's any red flags, I was just saying from the sounds of it looks like he'll be a hog unless something unexpected happens.

Danny J

Quote from: mhuff on April 05, 2013, 07:54:55 pm
Don't know what red flags might be out there.
The quality of weed in NWA may not be up to par?  ;)

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 05, 2013, 11:32:10 pm
The quality of weed in NWA may not be up to par?  ;)

Newton County isn't too far away.

mhuff

Quote from: daSnake014 on April 05, 2013, 10:42:38 pm
Yea I don't think there's any red flags, I was just saying from the sounds of it looks like he'll be a hog unless something unexpected happens.

Oh no, I was not disputing what you said. Not only that .... ,but if I were he I would be checking to see if anything was not as advertised......due diligence. I was commenting on his take of the equation and pondering aloud.... what could be wrong. Hope he becomes a Hog. He looks like a scorer from his stat sheets I saw on a couple of games, but I couldn't find a stat sheet for the entire season.