Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Academic Record

Started by ATU HOG, November 08, 2017, 02:36:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

3kgthog

I'm proud of the female athletes and the baseball team. They are holding it up for the rest of them.

lasthog

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 08, 2017, 03:29:10 pm
I'm sitting here with a masters degree and I'm arguing online with the kind of guy who works at walmart but reads Faulkner in the break room to remind everybody that he's smarter than they are.

Who's the real idiot.

I mean...all of us, honestly. But still.

Perhaps when boasting of one's academic prowess while simultaneously disrespecting another's intellect, one would be careful to properly punctuate "master's degree."

Oh, sweet irony!

Jimbob111

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 08, 2017, 04:26:53 pm
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand athletics. The sports are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics, most of the sports will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Bret's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his coaching persona- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. Us intellectuals understand this stuff; we have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these tweets, to realize that they're not just sports- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Jeff and Bret truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the wisdom in Bret's existential tweeting of his cooking, which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Jeff Long's genius wit unfolds itself on their smart phonescreens. What fools.. how I pity them.

How many morons do you think you managed to make google "Turgenev"?  Well done.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

HoggyCat

Quote from: Cure on November 08, 2017, 06:55:47 pm
So complaining about kids graduating is what's up?

You're missing the point.....  all sec schools, EVEN VANDERBILT, are up. LSU is up 21 percentage points over the same time frame.  It's due to new rules, not Jeffi. But he will take credit for it because he needs it to improve his image.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

with all the support they have up there, a player would have to try and not graduate
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 08, 2017, 11:08:59 pm
I'm proud of the female athletes and the baseball team. They are holding it up for the rest of them.

Hmm...The baseball team's GSR went down 9 points to 65, maybe you should be proud of the golf and tennis teams, 100%.

jkstock04

Quote from: go hogues on November 08, 2017, 08:53:16 pm
I don't think anyone here is discrediting the success rate of our student athletes. At least, I hope no one is.

I think people are perplexed that Jeff has gone out of his way so many times to trump up academics and "wins/losses" secondary. You see him doing that and the perception is that we're out front or challenging for the front of the SEC academic race. So much so that you still see people on here asking "if we end up with five wins, you think we could still get a bowl invite, like MSU did last year with their academics?" - a fair question given the brand image being presented by the AD.

When you see that we are not only bringing up the rear in football but also academics (in what is widely regarded as a joke of an academic conference anyway) I think that's what causes the negative reactions toward Jeff Long that you are seeing in this thread.
I was one that was surprised to see those numbers given the hype. While true of the improvement we still lag way behind in comparison. Just more proof that it's nothing but spin and deflection away from an obvious negative situation. I've thought this for years with all the academic stuff they send you in the mail, and looks more obvious all the time.

It's funny how all this evolved....before 2012 I never really saw anything like this. It's a complete culture change that Jeff Long and the administration have taken us on. The results are painful. There are some no doubt that enjoy where we are right now, but I'm not one of them.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hassettsportsman

Jeff, I'm more interested in incarceration rates post-Hog gloryville. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: hoglady on November 08, 2017, 06:47:31 pm
That statement insinuates other programs we are up against are "win at all costs" programs - which obviously they aren't, they whip us on the field and in the classroom.

That's what rubs folks the wrong way - trying to act like we are so superior to these other programs.

Interesting. I mean, that's not at all what he says. But it's interesting that you think that. It's almost like you create your own narrative.

DeltaBoy

I want both wins in the Classroom and on the Field.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kevin

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 09, 2017, 08:10:41 am
I want both wins in the Classroom and on the Field.
you cannot set the bar that high

hoghearted

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 08, 2017, 03:33:42 pm
Good god folks.

"Yes, winning is important," he said. "Now contrast that if you're a win-at-all-cost program which we're not and I've said many, many times we're not, then you don't worry about the academics, you don't worry about the conduct, you just win.

"And you know what? When I arrived here 10 years ago, that's not what the leaders wanted at the time and certainly that's certainly not what we've delivered.

"Yes, we want to win. Yes, it's a priority. Yes, it eats us up from the inside that we don't win more."

The insinuation is that it was previously a 'win at all costs' program, which is preposterous, and an insult to those who came before. If we were never ' a win at all cost' program, why bring it up now? Simply a deflection from the fact that Bret is failing. It's a ridiculous argument.

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Drop the Mike on November 08, 2017, 03:08:25 pm
probably wouldn't tweet it to said friends
why not? Good friends (fellow SEC schools) I'm sure are celebrating our higher GSR. It's better for everyone.
Let us just for once be happy with improvement. We're like last in education; therefore, you shouldn't exactly expect our student-athletes to have a 100% GSR.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Razorbackers

Quote from: hoghearted on November 09, 2017, 08:16:25 am
The insinuation is that it was previously a 'win at all costs' program, which is preposterous, and an insult to those who came before. If we were never ' a win at all cost' program, why bring it up now? Simply a deflection from the fact that Bret is failing. It's a ridiculous argument.

that's not what the leaders wanted at the time and certainly that's certainly not what we've delivered.

He literally...with his mouth...said that a win at all cost is NOT what the leaders wanted at the time.

I absolutely cannot with you people anymore. I have lost my ability to can.

hawgon

It's like giving Long credit for all the money in the program.  Look across the SEC and EVERYONE is making a lot more money than they were ten years ago.  Why?  Because of TV money.  Same with academics.  Why are everyone's graduation rates up to record levels?  Because it is in the rules now and it matters.

I'll bet if someone wanted to take the time to do the research that he would find that at least ten schools in the SEC have their highest graduation rates ever this year.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 08:23:04 am
that's not what the leaders wanted at the time and certainly that's certainly not what we've delivered.

He literally...with his mouth...said that a win at all cost is NOT what the leaders wanted at the time.

Sir, just bow at the mention of the Almighty Frank and everything will be better.

All glory unto him.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

Cotton

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 08:10:03 am
Interesting. I mean, that's not at all what he says. But it's interesting that you think that. It's almost like you create your own narrative.

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 08:23:04 am

We disagreed for the first half of this argument, which is fine, opinions are opinions.

But I couldn't agree with you more on this win at all costs stuff. People with pitchforks see red and lose all rational thought.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Hogwild

Quote from: factchecker on November 08, 2017, 03:19:15 pm
When the GSR was as low as 60 under the previous administration (in 2005).... it's something to brag about.

Still in last place, 12 years later in last place on and off the field. Way to go Jeff Long.

hawgon

Only three Power 5 schools with a lower GSR.

greasy_corner

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 08:55:34 am

Add this to your "reasons it's hard to recruit to Fayetteville" arguments.  Self-inflicted wound by the department.

Hogwild

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 08:55:34 am

There are only seven Power 5 school football teams ranked lower than us in CBSports Poll.

hawgon

Quote from: Hogwild on November 09, 2017, 09:05:18 am
There are only seven Power 5 school football teams ranked lower than us in CBSports Poll.

Jeff Long and Bert bringing us things that we've never had before.

Razorbackers

Quote from: greasy_corner on November 09, 2017, 09:04:51 am
Add this to your "reasons it's hard to recruit to Fayetteville" arguments.  Self-inflicted wound by the department.

It's hard to recruit to fayetteville because the fans are dumb af.

Got it.

longpig

Quote from: Cotton on November 08, 2017, 03:05:31 pm
If you made a 17 on the ACT and improved to a 19 and the rest of your friends made 24 plus would you be happy at UACCM in Morrilton?

If Philander Smith wouldn't take me.
Don't be scared, be smart.

younghog

Actually knowing the fails of the Arkansas HS education system.. This is HUGE.. Granted I know all of the Athletes are not from Arkansas.

However I'll take this.. As it should bold well for students and parents who strive for more.

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 09:07:32 am
Jeff Long and Bert bringing us things that we've never had before.

Literally

LITERALLY

is a fact. This is a school record. They LITERALLY have done something that hasn't been done before.

I know you didn't MEAN to be accurate, but you were.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 08, 2017, 03:21:16 pm
Your entire sentence is grammatically incorrect but you are ripping on me and these kids for graduating.

Do you bottle and sell your own irony? Or is it just for your personal use?

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 08, 2017, 03:29:10 pm
I'm sitting here with a masters degree and I'm arguing online with the kind of guy who works at walmart but reads Faulkner in the break room to remind everybody that he's smarter than they are.

Who's the real idiot.

I mean...all of us, honestly. But still.

Dear Mr. Grammar Police,

Here is a link that I believe will be helpful to you when describing your "masters degree" you clam to have!

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/masters-degree-or-masters-degree/

hawgon

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 09:32:38 am
Literally

LITERALLY

is a fact. This is a school record. They LITERALLY have done something that hasn't been done before.

I know you didn't MEAN to be accurate, but you were.

Now, go and do the research as to how many other teams in the SEC reached school records for their GSRs this year.

azhog10

Wasn't football at like 60%. Actually lower than the University average? #Uncommon

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 09:36:45 am
Now, go and do the research as to how many other teams in the SEC reached school records for their GSRs this year.

Why is that relevant to Jeff Long, the AD of the Arkansas Razorback athletic department, congratulating all the coaches and students for setting an Arkansas Razorback's record?

It isn't not relevant. You are creating false outrage just because you're mad we're losing football games. You don't have to create negativity, it's already on the field. Jesus.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Drop the Mike on November 09, 2017, 09:36:10 am
Dear Mr. Grammar Police,

Here is a link that I believe will be helpful to you when describing your "masters degree" you clam to have!

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/masters-degree-or-masters-degree/

You didn't indent your paragraph, literally unreadable.

hawgon

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 09:38:58 am
Why is that relevant to Jeff Long, the AD of the Arkansas Razorback athletic department, congratulating all the coaches and students for setting an Arkansas Razorback's record?

It isn't not relevant. You are creating false outrage just because you're mad we're losing football games. You don't have to create negativity, it's already on the field. Jesus.

It is one hundred percent relevant.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 09:41:22 am
It is one hundred percent relevant.

For you, and your narrative.

Not for the tweet that started this crapfest, and the congratulations to our athletes and coaches.

hawgon

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 09:42:02 am
For you, and your narrative.

Not for the tweet that started this crapfest, and the congratulations to our athletes and coaches.

Why do you congratulate people for making a D minus instead of an F?  More evidence that this program would rather celebrate mediocrity than actually accomplish something.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 09:40:01 am
You didn't indent your paragraph, literally unreadable.

You might want to get your money back on that masters degree!

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Cotton on November 08, 2017, 03:24:18 pm
Calm down snowflake, I'll send you a participation trophy in the mail too.

"Hey guys congrats on improving and still being last in our peer group! Hooray!!!"
We need you in the politics forum to take Hogcards place.

Grizzlyfan

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what it would take to get an 80 to, say, an 85?  One more graduate?  5 more graduates?  20 C's turned into B's?  What is the relative comparison between Arkansas and those with an 85 score?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: ATU HOG on November 08, 2017, 02:36:26 pm
We achieved a new academic record of athletes that graduated.

Unfortunately we are in last place in the SEC. #neveryield

Good thing we aren't a win at all cost school (whatever that means)
Wait wait wait....So the ONE THING we've been bombarded about over the past 5 years, the ONE THING we're supposed to be good at, the ONE THING that bielema hung his hat on to keep him out of trouble while losing was false? In some places your tongue gets cut off for lying and being deceptive. In the state of Arkansas you get 4 million dollars  ::)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Drop the Mike on November 09, 2017, 09:46:58 am

You might want to get your money back on that masters degree!

*master's

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 09:45:42 am
Why do you congratulate people for making a D minus instead of an F?  More evidence that this program would rather celebrate mediocrity than actually accomplish something.

If your kid was making straight F's and busted his butt to make D's, would you not tell him good job for improving?

Also, 80% GSR isn't an F or a D. But whatever. You're just being obtuse for funsies.

Razorbackers

ATU HOG

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 09:38:58 am

Completely disagree. 

It's relative to Jeff Long because he's the one that has created this story.  This story of excelling in academics, having integrity in everything we do, and being content with the results on the field as long as we have the first two.  Listen we should 1000% do our best to excel in the academic side of things.  We should and do give all of our students oppourtunities to succeed in the classroom.  That's an expectation of our student athletes that they do well in the classroom.  Almost every university has that expectation.  Obviously there are exceptions to that, but 99% of colleges expect that of their student athletes.  But we've been given this story that this is something we have our hat to hang on, more than many other schools, when clearly every school is doing the same or better than we are.

Then to the integrity card.  I was on campus when Petrino got fired.  It happens, whether I agree/disagree it's what happened.  Next day, shirts came out to the student body that said "Integrity goes a LONG way"  From that point on, in my personal opinion Jeff has done many great things to better his name, but when it comes to the Arkansas Razorbacks, I felt like Jeff came first then then the Razorbacks came.  CFB Playoff Chair, Raises, Mr.  Integrity, etc.  We became known as a brand that was about Jeff Long rather than the Arkansas Razorbacks.  And in my opinion there hasn't been a lot of things to change that.  We still constantly hear about how much integrity we have.  We constantly hear that our kids do things the right way along with our program.  Just seems like a salesman telling you about how great we are in some things (which those are expectations... shouldn't brag about doing the right thing) to deflect from how bad we are in other things.

hawgon

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 10:15:56 am
If your kid was making straight F's and busted his butt to make D's, would you not tell him good job for improving?

Also, 80% GSR isn't an F or a D. But whatever. You're just being obtuse for funsies.

My child would never get to the point that she was making straight Fs.  It would not be allowed even if I had to make her study around the clock.

greasy_corner

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 09:28:46 am
It's hard to recruit to fayetteville because the fans are dumb af.

Got it.

example a.

Razorbackers

Quote from: ATU HOG on November 09, 2017, 10:20:50 am
Completely disagree. 

It's relative to Jeff Long because he's the one that has created this story.  This story of excelling in academics, having integrity in everything we do, and being content with the results on the field as long as we have the first two. 

I stopped reading there because that is BS and a narrative that you and many others have created and ran with because you are insane.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 10:21:36 am
My child would never get to the point that she was making straight Fs.  It would not be allowed even if I had to make her study around the clock.

*whoosh*

hawgon

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 10:29:55 am
*whoosh*

No, I would not congratulate her if she moved from Fs to Ds.  That is still unacceptably low and nothing to be celebrated.  And even if I did say "nice job" to her, I wouldn't post
flyers around the neighborhood.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 10:34:43 am
No, I would not congratulate her if she moved from Fs to Ds.  That is still unacceptably low and nothing to be celebrated.  And even if I did say "nice job" to her, I wouldn't post
flyers around the neighborhood.

lol ok.