Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CMA & Arkansas Future Is Bright

Started by HawgHeadCheese, March 17, 2018, 09:28:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 18, 2018, 12:17:27 pm
7 seasons, 2 NCAAT games won and 3 lost. Yeah, suddenly in year 9 or 10, Anderson is going to begin winning 12 to 14 games in SEC every year and getting to Sweet 16 or Elite 8 every 3 or 4 years. Riiiight.

Hoginmemephis making too much sense. Fire Anderson

HawgHeadCheese

TNhawgfan

Quote from: sickboy on March 18, 2018, 12:15:32 pm
2014 wasn't a dud class. Three out of four turned into multi-year contributors. Two were starters.
I disagree. Two transfers, one role player off the bench, and one never played up to his freshman year potential starter is a dud class
The biggest contributor was a player in which we played better when he was on the bench this year
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Nickle-Pig on March 18, 2018, 08:18:04 am
At least we don't have to worry about a coach he will retire here.

That's exciting.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

raz1965

I personally think Mike has overachieved with the players he has had on any one given team at Arkansas.  I know he recruited them, his job, needs to do better an now looks like he is recruiting better, since recruiting was main problem then maybe problem solved an the next step will be taken. Time will tell all, but must be allowed since he has taken a team to tourney 3 out of 4 years, have faith, I do.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pumbaa on March 18, 2018, 12:30:33 pm
Didn't think Qualls was a great player coming in either. I think there will be at the very least 1 great player come out of this group. There was a lot of excitement when we had Reggie Perry with this group. He was only going to be a 1-2 and done type a guy in most people's eyes. We traded Chaney for him and should get him for the full 4. May not be a bad trade in the long run. We knew this team was going to be young. We knew that two years ago when we snagged three jucos. There will be a learning curve but these guys won't be scrubs. They will play on some very good teams before their time on the Hill is over.

Qualls couldnt dribble till his 3rd season.  Great dunker. Great lift on his shot. Ok defender off the ball playing passing lanes. Aka an athlete who needed to learn basketball.  A head case who should have felt lucky to be in the program for 3 seasons. That Anderson discipline. If the po po don't get involved or NCAA drug test not failed, cover up and move on. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: raz1965 on March 18, 2018, 01:45:22 pm
I personally think Mike has overachieved with the players he has had on any one given team at Arkansas.  I know he recruited them, his job, needs to do better an now looks like he is recruiting better, since recruiting was main problem then maybe problem solved an the next step will be taken. Time will tell all, but must be allowed since he has taken a team to tourney 3 out of 4 years, have faith, I do.

Or the state is cycling through recruits not good enough for UK or other elite programs to covet but good enough.

Pumbaa

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 01:46:58 pm
Qualls couldnt dribble till his 3rd season.  Great dunker. Great lift on his shot. Ok defender off the ball playing passing lanes. Aka an athlete who needed to learn basketball.  A head case who should have felt lucky to be in the program for 3 seasons. That Anderson discipline. If the po po don't get involved or NCAA drug test not failed, cover up and move on.

Mike must have taught it to him then. He was an all-sec player. He was good his sophomore season and balled out in year 3. Give me a break. The point was that you didn't expect him to become the player he did. There will be a couple out of this group coming in that are going to take their game to a level you didn't expect.

hog.goblin

Quote from: cardsNhogs on March 18, 2018, 10:19:13 am
Good players in next year's class but NOT 1 great player. I think Isiah Joe has most potential. Next year will be a struggle! Mike Anderson couldn't do anything with Macon, Barford, and Gafford on his roster so I doubt he ever does anything.

I wouldn't say couldn't do anything.  We are officially mediocre.  That's something we haven't gotten up to since the late 1990s.

The question is can he take us past that?  IMO, only if Arkansas produces enough instate talent.  But then that's the way it's always been with any coach here aside from a great get out of Tulsa, Memphis, or Louisiana.

rude1

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 18, 2018, 10:06:23 am
This isn't football and SMU isn't a mid major. And you asked who we didn't retain that is productive. I named 3 guys who at the least would have been solid bench options for depth.
Lol, no you didn't. Jacorey would have been gone two years ago, Babb would have been gone last year. The only one who would have still been on the roster is Whitt.

Snout team

Quote from: cardsNhogs on March 18, 2018, 10:19:13 am
Good players in next year's class but NOT 1 great player. I think Isiah Joe has most potential. Next year will be a struggle! Mike Anderson couldn't do anything with Macon, Barford, and Gafford on his roster so I doubt he ever does anything.

cant agree with this.  There are only 20 something 5 stars per class.  We had one of those committed until money got involved.

We have had some great players in our history who were not 5 star ranked.

We don't know if any of this class will be truest great but I say chances are higher than average that some will.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

sickboy

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 18, 2018, 01:39:14 pm
I disagree. Two transfers, one role player off the bench, and one never played up to his freshman year potential starter is a dud class
The biggest contributor was a player in which we played better when he was on the bench this year

I think you're mixing something up. Nick Babb was the only player out of the 2014 class that transferred.

Durham transferred in and played two years and was and assist machine. He was top ten or something in the entire country in assists his senior season. Thompson and Beard are the other two and they may not have been all world, but they were good players who helped their teams go to three NCAA tourney appearances in four years.

That's not a dud in my opinion.

oldbooniehog

Mike just needs another 7 or 8 years.

Then maybe, just MAYBE Arkansas can make its first Sweet Sixteen in 30 years or so?

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: rude1 on March 18, 2018, 03:00:33 pm
Lol, no you didn't. Jacorey would have been gone two years ago, Babb would have been gone last year. The only one who would have still been on the roster is Whitt.
I'm not speaking about this team. The topic was player retention has been our weakness

sadhogfan

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2018, 09:48:08 pm
Coty Clarke - Juco
Dequavious Wagner
JaCorey Williams
Anthlon Bell
Michael Qualls

Moses Kingsley
Bobby Portis

Nick Babb
Trey Thompson
Anton Beard
Jabril Durham - Juco

Jimmy Whitt
Ted Kapita
Lorenzo Jenkins

C.J. Jones
Arlando Cook - Juco
Adrio Bailey
Jaylen Barford - Juco
Daryl Macon - Juco
Brachen Hazen
Dustin Thomas - Transfer

Khalil Garland
Darious Hall
Daniel Gafford
Gabriel Osabuohien

Now what about that list says "good recruiter"? When I look at that list I wonder to myself how in the hell have we won as much as we have.............

2014-15 were the rough classes. Other than that, you can easily make arguments that the rest were good.

hogsanity

Quote from: sadhogfan on March 18, 2018, 10:54:37 pm
2014-15 were the rough classes. Other than that, you can easily make arguments that the rest were good.

There is that word again: "good". Mike is a "good" man. Mike is a "good" coach. Most of the recruiting classes were "good". Problem is in today's college basketball "good" gets you 3 NCAAT appearances in 7 seasons, and only 2 NCAAT games won in that time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2018, 09:48:08 pm
Coty Clarke - Juco
Dequavious Wagner
JaCorey Williams
Anthlon Bell
Michael Qualls

Moses Kingsley
Bobby Portis

Nick Babb
Trey Thompson
Anton Beard
Jabril Durham - Juco

Jimmy Whitt
Ted Kapita
Lorenzo Jenkins

C.J. Jones
Arlando Cook - Juco
Adrio Bailey
Jaylen Barford - Juco
Daryl Macon - Juco
Brachen Hazen
Dustin Thomas - Transfer

Khalil Garland
Darious Hall
Daniel Gafford
Gabriel Osabuohien

Now what about that list says "good recruiter"? When I look at that list I wonder to myself how in the hell have we won as much as we have.............
You are forgetting that kid that is setting out this year for transfer rules.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

WoePigSooie

SemperFi

With Mike Anderson it's always going to be "next year". It's his system that doesn't work. In addition, his coaching is less than average at best.

In 2016 Butler ranked 47th in recruiting and in 2017 they were 62nd Nationally. The Hogs on the other hand were ranked 29th in 2016 and 36th in 2017. If the Hogs signed classes that resembled Butler's Razorback Nation, including those that are blinded by their love of Mike Anderson would come unglued. So how is that with the Hogs superior recruiting class that we got beat by 17? COACHING! COACHING! COACHING! That's how.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

OkieBack

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 17, 2018, 09:59:44 pm
Prolly 3 years from now on this trajectory.

That's good enough for some, not good enough for others.

Neither is wrong.

CMA doesn't have 3 years at this point.  Had he gotten past NC last year, may be 3.  This year has done nothing but ratchet up the anti-Mike crowd, and I have to say I'm 50/50 at this point on him.  CMA can't depend on talent alone.  He has to have players who are hungry and fundamentally solid or at least have the coaching staff to harden them up.  Street ball only goes so far.  CMA can recruit talent, but as said before...retention is sketchy.  But the truth lies somewhere between the sunshiners and the doomsdayers.  The pendulum could shift  very quickly next year if the coaches and players aren't able to correct our weaknesses.  Even CMA doesn't have  many years left of the "young and developing talent" teams.  Eventually, he has to pay the piper.

RazorPiggie

steveaustin69

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 19, 2018, 12:29:24 pm
The 26th ranked class in the nation. 6th  in the SEC.

Not to mention how inflated the ranking is due to volume.

navyhog24

We won't do anything the next few years if he doesn't bring in any quality big men. All of the recruits being mentioned are 1's, 2's, and 3's mainly. There are no 4's and 5's being at all. It's like he just purposely doesn't want to recruit a big until the 2021 class when Jaylin Williams will be senior. That's pretty freakin' sad and pathetic.

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 12:31:53 pm
Not to mention how inflated the ranking is due to volume.

The 2016 class was ranked 29th, so it is not like we have not seen this type of class before.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OkieBack

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 19, 2018, 12:33:32 pm
We won't do anything the next few years if he doesn't bring in any quality big men. All of the recruits being mentioned are 1's, 2's, and 3's mainly. There are no 4's and 5's being at all. It's like he just purposely doesn't want to recruit a big until the 2021 class when Jaylin Williams will be senior. That's pretty freakin' sad and pathetic.

At this pace he won't make it to 2021.  Based upon those of you who are the recruiting experts...if we don't have any new players who will up the talent pool on the team then CMA better start by replacing an assistant coach and bringing in someone who will demand fundamentals. 

Paul

Quote from: OkieBack on March 19, 2018, 01:05:09 pm
At this pace he won't make it to 2021.  Based upon those of you who are the recruiting experts...if we don't have any new players who will up the talent pool on the team then CMA better start by replacing an assistant coach and bringing in someone who will demand fundamentals.
we all know he won't do that

Hawgwild15

This is what's wrong with the Arkansas fans that support Anderson. It's like you guys love mediocrity. He's a terrible recruiter. Awful and he doesn't recruit basketball players, he recruits "athletes". He doesn't even run his own system. I'm still waiting on someone to explain how dribbling the shot clock out and then throwing up a three on literally every single possession is the "fastest 40". You can't be talking about his defense either, because that's atrocious. Please someone explain why Mike Anderson is a good coach. We're waiting.

pigture perfect

The last stat I saw on the subject, CMA was the #22 highest paid coach. That really should mean that we stay fairly consistently in the top 25 poll, and that we should make a Sweet 16 every now and then.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"