Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anderson: Is this the standard for our program?

Started by Porked Tongue, March 16, 2018, 10:00:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2018, 11:50:55 pm

Problem is that we can't look back at what elements made for a successful program then and apply them now. The game around the game has changed dramatically.

Expectations should be high but the timeline to achieve them in has changed gimongously since then.

It's too tough for Mike at a second tier program like Arkansas.  The game around the game is too hard.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 11:56:02 pm
It's too tough for Mike at a second tier program like Arkansas.  The game around the game is too hard.

and Buzz Williams evidently.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 11:46:54 pm
I didn't skip him. You have to go back to the 80s to Moir to find a coach there who had back to back NCAAT trips or at least 3 consecutive 20 win seasons.

Cherrypicking stats again, selectively choosing what you want to be important while ignoring other metrics that are arguably just as important. So what Buzz has three 20 win seasons in a row, he still has a lower winning pct. than Greenberg. So those 20 win seasons don't add up enough to make him more successful in terms of winning pct. Greenberg has something he doesn't a tourney win. Are appearances or wins in the tourney more valuable? 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2018, 11:54:22 pm
Marquette is a stepping stone for up and comers. How can you even try to claim otherwise?

32 NCAATs. Same as Arkansas. 
3 Final Fours.
1 NC.

That isn't Tulsa or Murray St or UALR level up and comer.  Successful coaches at Marquette have done it at a higher level program.  Sure it's a stepping stone to IU or the ACC. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 11:51:50 pm
I didn't compare the two sports.

Saying what he has done in 4 seasons at VT is mediocre shows ignorance. 

We may not would hire an up and comer. Hiring a successful coach from a program like Marquette isn't hiring an up and comer.

The only thing this argument has shown is that he is on par with Greenberg and Charles Moir in terms of coaching ability at Virginia Tech. Not exactly anything above mediocrity there.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 18, 2018, 11:59:39 pm
Cherrypicking stats again, selectively choosing what you want to be important while ignoring other metrics that are arguably just as important. So what Buzz has three 20 win seasons in a row, he still has a lower winning pct. than Greenberg. So those 20 win seasons don't add up enough to make him more successful in terms of winning pct. Greenberg has something he doesn't a tourney win. Are appearances or wins in the tourney more valuable?

One season with one win out of 9 seasons.  That is cherry picking.   If you look at the coach between them and what he did it makes Buzz's 4 season era so far much more impressive. Far from showing him having done mediocre.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:02:21 am
The only thing this argument has shown is that he is on par with Greenberg and Charles Moir in terms of coaching ability at Virginia Tech. Not exactly anything above mediocrity there.

Now that is really spinning LOL.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 12:00:04 am

32 NCAATs. Same as Arkansas. 
3 Final Fours.
1 NC.

That isn't Tulsa or Murray St or UALR level up and comer.  Successful coaches at Marquette have done it at a higher level program.  Sure it's a stepping stone to IU or the ACC.

You left out Arizona.

Up and comer fits Buzz though. Personally, I love the guy. He and Anderson were the two I was pulling for last time.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2018, 11:58:44 pm
and Buzz Williams evidently.

VT wasn't second tier when he got there. Are you saying he has elevated them?

Arkansas is a second tier program to you.  Gotta make it seem as bad as possible for Mike. Even though Jamie we know you campaigned on our boards  for his hiring and made claims of what he would do if hired. Now it's too tough for him but we should keep going.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 12:04:29 am
Now that is really spinning LOL.

Spinning? he has a worse winning pct than both of them, no NCAA tourney wins. As you stated Moir took them to back to back NCAA tourneys twice, but guess what he actually won 2 games in the tourney. So yeah let's say Buzz Williams is slightly behind Charles Moir and on par with Greenberg in there tenure at V-Tech. There we go mediocrity at it's best.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:09:14 am
Spinning? he has a worse winning pct than both of them, no NCAA tourney wins. As you stated Moir took them to back to back NCAA tourneys twice, but guess what he actually won 2 games in the tourney. So yeah let's say Buzz Williams is slightly behind Charles Moir and on par with Greenberg in there tenure at V-Tech. There we go mediocrity at it's best.

So he has an NIT and 2 NCAATS in his first 4 seasons at VT. Previous coach won 22 games total in 2 seasons.

At Arkansas we couldn't expect that in our coach's first 4 seasons. His predecessor only averaged 17 wins a season.  Arkansas is such a tough job. And that SEC compared to the ACC. Way too hard. 

Mjs84

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 18, 2018, 06:08:13 pm
How many weeks has Anderson had the Hogd in the Top 25 in 7 years. I bet it's very few.

And some of these morons want to say "well we been in the tourney 3 of the past 4 years now".  Give me a break!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 12:08:28 am
VT wasn't second tier when he got there. Are you saying he has elevated them?

Arkansas is a second tier program to you.  Gotta make it seem as bad as possible for Mike. Even though Jamie we know you campaigned on our boards  for his hiring and made claims of what he would do if hired. Now it's too tough for him but we should keep going.

What would you call a program that only won .380 of its conference games in the decade prior to hiring a coach? A decade is a long time.

You like to think of yourself as a realist. Then get real about our program. I guess you think Goodwin, Allen, and Monk saw us a top tier program?

Evidently Dana Altman thought we weren't top tier when he left. Then Pel took over for another 4 after that.

I don't think we are a top tier program. Heath destroyed that by his 3rd year.  I have been watching for over 4 decades so I have a base of actual memories to draw from when I say that. I have seen this program at all different stages. Post Pel, we sucked about as bad as pre Eddie with the biggest difference being the number of empty seats.

It's why I don't get all the hate right now. Being solidly in the tournament 3 of the last 4 years sure has sucked compared to the previous 15 seasons. FIFTEEN! FIF-***-TEEN years of SUCK. Not second tier, SUCK!!!

I watched games in Barnhill when the goals hung from the ceiling. This program wasn't built overnight. It took a combination of TWO HOF coaches to get it to its zenith but idiots today think it should have happened by year 7 after sucking for FIFTEEN years?!

On what planet? And what two HOF coaches are you going to hire to make it happen again? C'mon give some names.

Patients in a hospital don't go from ICU to the regular floor these days. They have an intermediate floor where they stay until they are strong enough to move again.

Point is, things happen in steps. You don't go from SUCKS to top tier without passing through average. Not without cheating.

So we have moved from SUCKS to average. For now, it's ok. 3 years from now it won't be. Geez that idiot Nutt got 10 years so lets not pretend it hasn't happened here before.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 12:17:19 am
So he has an NIT and 2 NCAATS in his first 4 seasons at VT. Previous coach won 22 games total in 2 seasons.

At Arkansas we couldn't expect that in our coach's first 4 seasons. His predecessor only averaged 17 wins a season.  Arkansas is such a tough job. And that SEC compared to the ACC. Way too hard.

LOL, yeah he's great compared one of the worst coaches in their history who lasted 2 years. That's like expounding on Houston Nutt's greatness because he had a better record than Bielema. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 17, 2018, 09:04:21 am
Just seems like we have enough going for us that we should do better.  There is always a good mix of talent in state and nearby in metro areas.

A good coach can make adjustments.  Real adjustments.  Not just change verbiage.

But to get right down to it, we don't have a coach.  We have a philosopher with a worn out philosophy.

Once Anderson is gone, whenever that may be, then we need to hire a more "traditional" basketball coach that has a history of putting kids in the NBA and the style of game translates to more of something that they will see in the league.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hogsanity on March 18, 2018, 11:31:20 pm
and, of course, the Mike defenders are back to trying to compare football and basketball. Funny thing about that is that these very same people were the most vocal about firing BB, cutting him no slack for how hard the SEC is in football.

Um,
It's because Bielema was one of the worst coaches in the SEC era.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 19, 2018, 02:27:14 am
Um,
It's because Bielema was one of the worst coaches in the SEC era.

Yep. Hot garbage.
This is my non-signature signature.

RzRbAcK18

How much of this is CMA being a bad coach and how much of it is having uncoachable players? He has clearly been able to succeed in other places and has had success here as well. I find it hard to believe that CMA is telling Beard, Macon, and Barford to dribble around the top of the key for 25 seconds and jack up a contested 3.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: Breems on March 16, 2018, 10:28:20 pm
It nagged me all season that we weren't accomplishing anything of significance besides beating TN in OT and FL on a neutral court. We also lost BIG to most great teams we played.

I put those thoughts on the backburner because we did enough to make the NCAAT again, but we met a solid team and were blown out again.

This was a picture perfect Mike Anderson team. The talent was there. The pieces all fit. But all season, we saw the same issues with terrible defense and shot selection. Players looked like they had no direction on what to do when Macon and/or Barford didn't have the 1-on-1 advantage.

I just don't believe anymore. Next season is going to suck.
While I agree with many of your points, I can't agree that the talent was all there. How many real good teams did you see have guys like Beard and Thompson playing significant minutes? Now before I say what I am about to say, I will admit all of this is on Mike. This team had zero consistent play from any forward on the team. Cook, Thomas, Gabe and Adrio were all inconsistent at best. C.J Jones did his best impersonation of H.G Wells "The invisible man" much of the SEC season. Hall was better than I thought he would be at times but he was your typical Freshmen. This team had more below the rim players than any Mike has had probably. Beard and Thompson were constantly outmatched when on defense. Gafford, Barford and Macon were three really good players and were great at times but we have many players who are Sun Belt quality. Low basketball IQ doesn't equate to a ton of success normally. Not sure Mike will get it done or not but he has no excuses now that the Practice Facility is here and he's had a few classes now since it was built.  Only Good News I can think of is, none of the incoming Freshmen play below the rim and we should be able to guard the ball better with Sills than we did with Beard. If Mike can't get us to a high level buy the time this incoming class is Sophomores, I want him gone!

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: RzRbAcK18 on March 19, 2018, 07:11:59 am
How much of this is CMA being a bad coach and how much of it is having uncoachable players? He has clearly been able to succeed in other places and has had success here as well. I find it hard to believe that CMA is telling Beard, Macon, and Barford to dribble around the top of the key for 25 seconds and jack up a contested 3.
Or telling them not to defend

hogsanity

Quote from: RzRbAcK18 on March 19, 2018, 07:11:59 am

Well, who recruited them? If is the HC and has players doing things he has told them not to do, then sit their as% on the bench until they decide to do what the coach says.

The only problem with your theory is that while the players change, the problems remain constant. The only common thread is Mike. The problems on this team are the same as on every team he has had since coming here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 19, 2018, 12:51:51 am
What would you call a program that only won .380 of its conference games in the decade prior to hiring a coach? A decade is a long time.

You like to think of yourself as a realist. Then get real about our program. I guess you think Goodwin, Allen, and Monk saw us a top tier program?

Evidently Dana Altman thought we weren't top tier when he left. Then Pel took over for another 4 after that.

I don't think we are a top tier program. Heath destroyed that by his 3rd year.  I have been watching for over 4 decades so I have a base of actual memories to draw from when I say that. I have seen this program at all different stages. Post Pel, we sucked about as bad as pre Eddie with the biggest difference being the number of empty seats.

It's why I don't get all the hate right now. Being solidly in the tournament 3 of the last 4 years sure has sucked compared to the previous 15 seasons. FIFTEEN! FIF-***-TEEN years of SUCK. Not second tier, SUCK!!!

I watched games in Barnhill when the goals hung from the ceiling. This program wasn't built overnight. It took a combination of TWO HOF coaches to get it to its zenith but idiots today think it should have happened by year 7 after sucking for FIFTEEN years?!

On what planet? And what two HOF coaches are you going to hire to make it happen again? C'mon give some names.

Patients in a hospital don't go from ICU to the regular floor these days. They have an intermediate floor where they stay until they are strong enough to move again.

Point is, things happen in steps. You don't go from SUCKS to top tier without passing through average. Not without cheating.

So we have moved from SUCKS to average. For now, it's ok. 3 years from now it won't be. Geez that idiot Nutt got 10 years so lets not pretend it hasn't happened here before.

If you honestly believe Altman went back to Creighton because he thought that Arkansas wasn't a top tier program, you haven't been paying close attention to Arkansas basketball down through the years.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

99toLife

Quote from: GuvHog on March 19, 2018, 12:10:25 pm
If you honestly believe Altman went back to Creighton because he thought that Arkansas wasn't a top tier program, you haven't been paying close attention to Arkansas basketball down through the years.

Altman left because he was lied to.

HF#1

Quote from: 99toLife on March 19, 2018, 12:12:22 pm

Exactly. Frank painted a prettier picture than what was actually going on.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PonderinHog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 12:14:08 pm
Exactly. Frank painted a prettier picture than what was actually going on.
Have you seen Augusta in the spring ???

GuvHog

Quote from: 99toLife on March 19, 2018, 12:12:22 pm

Nope, Altman left because Frank told him he could bring a certain member of his staff at Creighton with him, then John White went behind Frank's back after Frank left for Augusta and told Altman he couldn't do that. John White did more damage to the U of A Athletic Department than any Chancellor in U of A history. If John White had kept his nose out of it and let Frank do his job, Pelphrey would have never been the Basketball head coach.

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on March 19, 2018, 12:20:39 pm
Nope, Altman left because Frank told him he could bring a certain member of his staff at Creighton with him, then John White went behind Frank's back after Frank left for Augusta and told Altman he couldn't do that. John White did more damage to the U of A Athletic Department than any Chancellor in U of A history.

I'm going to call BS on this one.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

99toLife

Quote from: GuvHog on March 19, 2018, 12:20:39 pm
Nope, Altman left because Frank told him he could bring a certain member of his staff at Creighton with him, then John White went behind Frank's back after Frank left for Augusta and told Altman he couldn't do that. John White did more damage to the U of A Athletic Department than any Chancellor in U of A history.

If true then Like I said he was lied to.

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 12:21:31 pm
I'm going to call BS on this one.

Call BS all you want but it's true. It's why Frank had to quickly turn around and come back. John White was always trying to undermine Frank. He even tried to force Frank out but the BOT sided with Frank.

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on March 19, 2018, 12:26:44 pm
Call BS all you want but it's true. It's why Frank had to quickly turn around and come back. John White was always trying to undermine Frank. He even tried to force Frank out but the BOT sided with Frank.

Did Frank tell you that before he passed? Or did John White? Or is this just one of those things that is "common knowledge"? Or is this part of some story Mike Irwin dished and I missed it?

GuvHog

Quote from: 99toLife on March 19, 2018, 12:21:56 pm
If true then Like I said he was lied to.

Frank didn't lie to him. John White stuck his nose where it didn't belong.

Jim Harris

Quote from: ballz2thewall on March 16, 2018, 10:16:09 pm
this team is loaded with talent.

and the coaching never seems to matter. after a period of time it is clear that the team plays on it's own terms. i'm not on the bench or at practices, but that's sure how it looks.

i posted at the beginning of the season something to the effect of "be happy now, cause anderson will get flat out-coached when conference hits. "

that post was trashed.

mid season i quit watching the games. i kept up with them but didn't watch them. likewise, i had no anticipation going into the tourney. there's no point. call it fair-weather if you like but that is my privilege.

nolan or eddie would have taken over the town with this team. anderson doesn't have it. never will. 

Arkansas isn't loaded with talent. Ultimately, it's about shooting the basketball, and beyond Macon and Barford, I'd call the shooting suspect for a Power 5 program. C.J. Jones can get hot every 7 or 8 games, and suddenly everyone thinks he's a shooter. Outside of that, who can shoot? The free throw percentage beyond the senior guards should be proof of that.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

99toLife

Quote from: GuvHog on March 19, 2018, 12:28:20 pm
Frank didn't lie to him. John White stuck his nose where it didn't belong.
Like I said he was lied to.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 12:27:49 pm
Did Frank tell you that before he passed? Or did John White? Or is this just one of those things that is "common knowledge"? Or is this part of some story Mike Irwin dished and I missed it?

Guv is correct, at least mostly. Altman also discovered some problems within the program that he hadn't realized or wasn't told about beyond the need for his own academic person, so he quickly bolted back to Creighton. John White did not let Broyles have a part in the next hiring and used a search committee that delivered John Pelphrey as the top choice.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 12:27:49 pm

Mike Irwin is one of the ones that said that. You're forgetting that I have a Friend who was on the Board of Trustees at the time.

HF#1

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 19, 2018, 12:30:00 pm
Guv is correct.

Sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then. I hadn't heard that. I've always thought Altman left because of the academic situation that he was lied to about.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 12:31:30 pm
Sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then. I hadn't heard that. I've always thought Altman left because of the academic situation that he was lied to about.

I added to the post after you read it. He was also lied to about the academic problems. He also didn't know about a few other situations involving Heath's players.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 19, 2018, 12:29:04 pm
Arkansas isn't loaded with talent. Ultimately, it's about shooting the basketball, and beyond Macon and Barford, I'd call the shooting suspect for a Power 5 program. C.J. Jones can get hot every 7 or 8 games, and suddenly everyone thinks he's a shooter. Outside of that, who can shoot? The free throw percentage beyond the senior guards should be proof of that.

Do you consider this season a disappointment?  Just curious as I heard Irwin say it.  Didn't know how the other members of the media were looking at it. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 19, 2018, 12:30:00 pm
Guv is correct, at least mostly. Altman also discovered some problems within the program that he hadn't realized or wasn't told about beyond the need for his own academic person, so he quickly bolted back to Creighton. John White did not let Broyles have a part in the next hiring and used a search committee that delivered John Pelphrey as the top choice.

Thanks Jim. Heath left things in a Royal mess. That's a big part of the reason Pelphrey's second year was such a disaster. Because of the large number of players he lost after his first season thanks to Heath, he had to take some recruiting risks just to be able to put a team on the court the next year and the risks came back to bite him.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 12:31:30 pm

Let's just say Altman was sold a house, one that looked aging but still fairly awesome for the neighborhood, before he actually went inside it and found mold everywhere and the lack of indoor plumbing. ;)

HF#1

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 19, 2018, 12:33:49 pm
I added to the post after you read it. He was also lied to about the academic problems. He also didn't know about a few other situations involving Heath's players.

Makes sense.

99toLife

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 19, 2018, 12:33:49 pm

Like I said he was lied to.

HF#1

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 19, 2018, 12:35:21 pm
Let's just say Altman was sold a house, one that looked aging but still fairly awesome for the neighborhood, before he actually went inside it and found mold everywhere and the lack of indoor plumbing. ;)

Right, he was told we were an 8 and we were actually a 4

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 12:35:37 pm
Makes sense.

Yes indeed it does. I wasn't aware that he was lied to about the condition of the program but I was aware of the rest.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 19, 2018, 12:29:04 pm

Well, that falls back on Mike's inability to recruit at a very high level. I think alot of that problem has to do with the size of players he has to have to run " his system ", long armed wings and 4's, and "big" guards. Kind of limits the pool of players to start with.

Maybe, just maybe Mike could go get the best BASKETBALL PLAYERS available and the coach to what they do best? I know I know, that is crazy talk.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cargill A. BullHog

I knew Id get on here and see folks piling on good Coach A.

Lets face it, the players didn't buy inot Coach A's level of intensity.  Its tough to have an older senior laden team buy into the high level of D Coach A teaches.  It creates a double whammy when the opposing team gets hot and cant miss.  Mike coached his tail off, but just couldn't get some of the older players, and even a younger one, to

But next year looks bright, with young minds ready to buy into Coach A's winning ways.  I can't wait.
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

jst01

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on March 19, 2018, 01:07:29 pm
I knew Id get on here and see folks piling on good Coach A.

Lets face it, the players didn't buy inot Coach A's level of intensity.  Its tough to have an older senior laden team buy into the high level of D Coach A teaches.  It creates a double whammy when the opposing team gets hot and cant miss.  Mike coached his tail off, but just couldn't get some of the older players, and even a younger one, to

But next year looks bright, with young minds ready to buy into Coach A's winning ways.  I can't wait.

I really hope this is a joke and loaded with sarcasm.  If not, you sir are honestly a rare strange human.

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: jst01 on March 19, 2018, 01:09:38 pm
I really hope this is a joke and loaded with sarcasm.  If not, you sir are honestly a rare strange human.

I just think Coach A gets too much blame when things go wrong and not enough credit for all the good things he's done and accomplished.
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

99toLife

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on March 19, 2018, 01:12:15 pm
I just think Coach A gets too much blame when things go wrong and not enough credit for all the good things he's done and accomplished.

What exactly has he accomplished that we need to pat him on the back for?  While paying him $49,000.00 a week.

jst01

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on March 19, 2018, 01:12:15 pm

Believe what you want, but to put the blame on the players and say they never bought into his masterful coaching is a weak and lazy argument.