Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Filling In the Rest of This Class (2008 Football)

Started by jbhicks, July 26, 2007, 09:25:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbhicks

July 26, 2007, 09:25:30 pm Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 05:04:23 pm by jbhicks
Because of the early start, the coaches now have the advantage of being able to be very selective with who fills out the rest of this class. We will oversign by 2-3 with because of academics, etc. Here is how I see the rest of this class shaping up:

1. Matt Hall, OT (6'10, 320, 5.62)
Rivals Stars: 4*  :razorback:
2. Jim Youngblood, QB (6'3, 215, 4.69)
Rivals Stars: 3* (Could very possibly move to 4 star)  :razorback:
3. Cruz Williams, WR (6'4, 195, 4.49)
Rivals Stars: 3* (Should move to 4 star)  :razorback:
4. Kale Pick, QB (6'2, 195, 4.5)
Rivals Stars: 3*  :razorback:
5. Jelani Smith, LB (6'1, 210, 4.56)
Rivals Stars: 3* (Could possibly move to 4 star)  :razorback:
6. Austin Eoff, OG (6'5, 310, 5.32)
Rivals Stars: 2* (Should move to 3 star)  :razorback:
7. Basmine Jones, ATH (6'0, 195, 4.51)
8. De'Anthony Curtis, RB (5'10, 210, 4.41)
Rivals Stars: 4* (Should move into Rivals 100)  :razorback:
9. Thomas Shuler, FB (5'11, 235, 4.57)
10. Khiry "Hero" Battle, S (6'1, 210, 4.55)
11. Justin Smith, DT (6'3, 280, 4.88)
Rivals Stars: 2* (Will move to 3 star, maybe 4)  :razorback:
12. Chris Gragg, WR (6'3, 196, 4.64)
Rivals Stars: NA (Will move to 2 star)  :razorback:
13. Jarious Wright, WR/CB/KR/PR (5'11, 180, 4.34)
Rivals Stars: 4*  :razorback:
14. Greg Childs, WR (6'4, 195, 4.55)
15. Ugo "Junior" Okpara, CB (6'1, 175, 4.48)
16. Winston Guy, S (6'0, 186, 4.4)
Rivals Stars: 3* (Could move to 4 star)  :razorback:
17. Lavunce Askew, DT (6'3, 280, 4.83)
Rivals Stars: 3* (Could move to 4 star)  :razorback:
18. Jeff Little, LB (6'2, 220, 4.49)
Rivals Stars: NR (Will move to 2 star, would be shocked if he isn't a 3 star with a big season)
19. Andrew Ellison, TE (6'2, 232, 4.49)
Rivals Stars: 2* (Could move to 3 star)   (Commited to SMU on Monday)
20. John Williams, OG (6'4, 235)
Rivals Stars: 2* (Could move to a 3 star)
21. Josh Tatum, OT (6'6, 293)
Rivals Stars: NR (Will move to a 2 star)
22. Devin Thomas (5'10, 185, 4.4)  :razorback: OR Chris Givens (6'0, 200, 4.47), RB (which ever commits first)
Rivals Stars: 3* (very close to being a 4 star), 2* (Will move to 3 star, could move to 4 star with a big season)
23. Cam Henderson (6'5, 220, 4.7) OR Ronald Byrd (6'6, 258, 4.81), DE (which ever commits first)
Rivals Stars: NR (Will move to 2 star, could move to 3 star with a solid season), 3*
24. Ryan Baker(6'0, 205, 4.55) OR Ricky Holloway (6'2, 220) OR Tenarius Wright (6'2, 220, 4.7), LB (which ever commits first)
Rivals Stars: 3* (could move to 4*), 3*, 3*
25. Greg Brown (5'11, 164, 4.4) OR Kip Edwards (6'1, 172, 4.5) OR Macal Robinson (6'0, 1654.4)  :razorback:, CB (which ever commits first)
Rivals Stars: 3*, 2* (Should move to 3 star), 3*
26. Dennis Johnson, RB (5'8, 180, 4.4)
Rivals Stars: 3*
NOTE: Will be placed at Arkansas Baptist
27. Tony Gillespie, DT (6'1, 280)
Rivals Stars: 3*
NOTE: Will be placed at Arkansas Baptist
28. RESERVED FOR A SUPERSTAR (Arthur Brown (5*-LB), Joe Adams (4*-WR/CB), D'Anton Lynn (3*-S/CB), Jameel Owens (4*-WR), Stacey McGee (4*-DT), Kyle Staley (4*-Athlete))

NOTE: I am not predicting what order these guys commit. Also, if a superstar comes along and wants to be a Hog, we will make room for them, hence commit #28. D'Anton Lynn will be a 4-star recruit. He has had a monstrous summer.

geddie

JBH -

This list is great and I hope it pans out as you predict. 

Just am curious as how you are certain that players will be ranked higher?  I understand could be a 3* but not so much will be a 3*.

As I have said in previous posts of yours - thanks for all of the info and updates. 

jbhicks

Please don't take it as a fact, just more so I would be shocked if they didn't move up to what I said. The other guys, should stay where they are as far as stars, but could increase their Rivals rating from like a 5.5 to a 5.6.

neahogfan

jbhicks, so you dont think we get Ryan Baker LB out of Florida?  He is the uncommitted linebacker I like the most besides of course Arthur Brown.

bd93

How good of a chance dose Guy have to move to a 4*?

jbhicks

Actually, I should have had Baker in there with Wright and Holloway. Thanks for catching that.

jrodell

Andrew Ellison ran a 4.75 at the Seniors Camp. That kind of worries me and hopefully he just had a bad day b/c his listed time is very impressive.

jbhicks

Winston Guy looks the part of an SEC safety. Heck, I will go ahead and say he looks like he will be playing on Sundays in a few years. With a solid senior season, I think there is a very good chance Winston will be a 4-star.

Oklahawg

If this staff is really doing the job we think/hope they are doing then these last slots will be filled up carefully, with the staff bull-rushing recruits much like Texas does. Push, push, push for the top-notch guys knowing that they have 3-4 to fill each slot left. It would be nice to get the last two in-state guys -- Askew and Adams -- and then move onward into other territory. Little is one of those guys that may get slow-played to make sure a slam-dunk doesn't land in our lap.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogsmaster

Little is the darkhorse.  Doesn't have an offer from Arkansas yet, but has the size and speed.  A 6-2, 220 lbs LB running  4.5 seconds forty is unreal.  He just needs to show that he can do it on the field this season, and he will be offered after 2 games.

slopinhogs

welcome to hoglang young men .welcome one and all. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Adam Stokes

Those are alot of bold statements in how much you think many players will go up.  I think Youngblood will move up to a 4-star at the rate he is going simply because he is the #5 rated dual-threat QB, and there are at least 5 four star or higher given out to dual-threats every year, there were 12 last year.  I don't know enough about Cruz Williams, but he will have to jump around 40 spots up in the WR rankings to get in 4-star territory.  It'll be great to see how these guys perform this fall.  You also do a great job with the threads in the recruiting forum jb.

jbhicks

July 26, 2007, 11:03:52 pm #12 Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 01:20:38 pm by jbhicks
I understand it was bold, and like I said nothing is exact. Those are just my opinions.

However, I think Cruz Williams is one of the most underrated prospects in the COUNTRY! Look for him and Justin Smith to jump up a lot. It is not out of the question for Cruz to jump 40 spots because I think he is a lot better than a lot of the WRs in front of him. He has had a huge summer, and received a lot of exposure. I think he is a top 40 WR. Curtis is one of the best players this state has seen in a long time. He was on the "just missed" list for the Rivals 100, the #3 homerun threat in the country, and ESPN has him listed as the #47 recruit in the country regardless of position, so with a big season, he should move into the Rivals 100.

Jeff Little (PB Watson Chapel) and Chris Givens (Wylie, TX) could be the biggest sleepers in this whole class. Little was hurt (torn ACL) last year on the 3rd play of the season, but is fully recovered now. No one knows about him, but he is an absolute beast. He is 6'2, 220 and runs a 4.49! If his knee stays strong, he will make a lot of noise. Givens had a similar issue last year. He tore his ACL on the first play of the second game. The kid is a blazer. He runs a legit 4.4 forty and ran a 10.4 100 meter dash this spring in track. His knee is back, and if he stays healthy he will blow up. He already has offers from Wisconsin and Wake Forest, and Auburn may offer soon. I think if we offer, we will get both.

Thanks for your kind words, ajs15razorman and geddie.

Oklahawg

If UA has another 10-win season look for our recruits to soar in the rankings. We are TARGETING these kids. If our assessment of past classes (not well received, thank you very much) produces another 10-win season then the "gurus" will begin paying attention to what our staff thinks, especially Reggie Herring.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PigWig

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 26, 2007, 11:21:19 pm
If UA has another 10-win season look for our recruits to soar in the rankings. We are TARGETING these kids. If our assessment of past classes (not well received, thank you very much) produces another 10-win season then the "gurus" will begin paying attention to what our staff thinks, especially Reggie Herring.
That is a great point that I have not heard mentioned before but I have thought about. A well deserved +1 to you.

FBPLAYER65

If that turns out to be our class then it will be about 8th in the SEC again. I will be very dissapointed.

jbhicks

That will not be the 8th best class in the SEC. That would be a Top 20 class for sure, and could be Top 15.

SoTexHog

Quote from: PigWig on July 26, 2007, 11:27:11 pm
Quote from: Oklahawg on July 26, 2007, 11:21:19 pm
That is a great point that I have not heard mentioned before but I have thought about. A well deserved +1 to you.
Yeah, that is a good point.

jbhicks

You are right, there could be some stars that become very interested in us midway through the season with Darren being hyped up, us being an undefeated top 10 team (I think we will be undefeated heading into Knoxville), etc. You have to make room for a stud like that.

hogfan0307

hey jbhicks...i really like both Kip Edwards and Greg Brown and considering that we undersigned at CB last year, i think we should take them both...do you think we will?

jbhicks

Quote from: hogfan0307 on July 27, 2007, 12:07:28 pm
hey jbhicks...i really like both Kip Edwards and Greg Brown and considering that we undersigned at CB last year, i think we should take them both...do you think we will?

Potentially. I like both too, although I personally like Brown a little better. I think you see how things are shaping up, see who commits first, and then make a decision. Brandon Barnett will get a look at corner. You have to remember also, Basmine Jones very well may end up at corner. I still like our chances with D'Anton Lynn, and he is a shut-down corner if there ever has been. Jarious Wright will get a look at corner, as well.

jackflash

I like your list JB, didn't think we would take that many offensive Lineman this year. Still hoping we get more out of LA this year, also would like DE Jones out of FL.

jbhicks

July 31, 2007, 05:03:31 pm #22 Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 05:05:14 pm by jbhicks
We landed Devin Thomas, Winston Guy, Lavunce Askew, and Marcal Robinson on the list, but Andrew Ellison committed to play for SMU yesterday.

hogfan0307

Quote from: jbhicks on July 31, 2007, 05:03:31 pm
We landed Devin Thomas, Winston Guy, Lavunce Askew, and Marcal Robinson on the list, but Andrew Ellison committed to play for SMU yesterday.

To make up for Ellison...do you think we will consider putting Childs as a pass catching TE? We got two 4-star TE's in the last class