Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When the games were close....

Started by hassettsportsman, October 01, 2017, 09:20:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hassettsportsman

Even way back in the dark ages, during the Broyles era, when most of you hadn't been conceived yet...there was such a thing as great kicking and superb special teams.  Those concepts seem outdated in the era of glamour positions.  It's those 'subtle' details that win games.  Oh man...to have a Steve Little leg again at Hog U!

Großer Kriegschwein

Or a Kendall Trainor.

You're not the only one that remembers good special teams.

Hell, Jonelle was better at coaching special teams than anyone on this staff.
This is my non-signature signature.

elksnort

And if your program like Arkansas being not Elite excellent special teams might be able to make up the difference against some opponents at least

Count Hogula

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 01, 2017, 09:22:42 am
Or a Kendall Trainor.

You're not the only one that remembers good special teams.

Hell, Jonelle was better at coaching special teams than anyone on this staff.

Don't forget Bill Mc Clard. Kicked the first 60 yarder in the NCAA, I believe.

hassettsportsman

So true!  And to be a straight on kicker...unheard of in the modern era!

carolinahogger

Quote from: Count Hogula on October 01, 2017, 09:33:48 am
Don't forget Bill Mc Clard. Kicked the first 60 yarder in the NCAA, I believe.

How about Bob White?  Young whippersnappers...

Hoggish1

You are right about special teams.  And you will see that that's one of Saban's secrets. In the modern/glamorous era he puts emphasis on it.  Why? Because it's 33.3% of the game.

Hoggish1

Quote from: elksnort on October 01, 2017, 09:28:32 am
And if your program like Arkansas being not Elite excellent special teams might be able to make up the difference against some opponents at least

True.

Big reason to put huge emphasis on it as the VA Tech coach did throughout his career.

elksnort

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 01, 2017, 09:53:17 am
True.

Big reason to put huge emphasis on it as the VA Tech coach did throughout his career.
part of the reason why we need a different head coach.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 01, 2017, 09:51:48 am
You are right about special teams.  And you will see that that's one of Saban's secrets. In the modern/glamorous era he puts emphasis on it.  Why? Because it's 33.3% of the game.

That kick six though. Really, bama's kicker has been their weakness before. I'm not sure about this year.

factchecker

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 01, 2017, 09:51:48 am

For all that Bama is awesome at (and that's mostly everything) they have been mediocre to poor in the kicking game.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

JRHoward

Bama should fire their entire coaching staff then if what was posted above is valid..... I too would love to see an improvement in "special teams".  I would also enjoy reading a thread... Any thread without all the agenda crap.   :puke:   Go Hogs....Woo Pig!
Woooo Pig!

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: carolinahogger on October 01, 2017, 09:45:49 am
How about Bob White?  Young whippersnappers...

I'll see your Bob White and raise you a Ronnie South and Tom McKnelly!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on October 01, 2017, 10:54:17 am
I'll see your Bob White and raise you a Ronnie South and Tom McKnelly!

Wear Schoonover or bust.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Tejano Jawg

Steve Little, Bruce Lahay, Kendall Trainor...my favorite kickers of my Hog lifetime. Record holders and All Americans, those guys can make a difference. We had such a long list of solid kickers, and why the drop off?

So many tough losses in the past several years from not making routine kicks—one that will always stand out, losing to Miss State 51-50 on a chip shot, in the game where Brandon Allen threw 7 TD passes. Our kick team robbed BA of a win and what many would say is the best performance ever by an Arkansas quarterback.

We were shaky years before too—I remember the 6-OT loss to Tennessee (in Matt's time) where we missed several field goals, including a game-winner in OT.

This conversation could extend to our special teams/return games as well. Nice seeing kickoff and punt returns taken to the house—via Felix Jones, Dennis Johnson and Joe Adams. Where has that been?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Porkchop#1

Ish Ordonez & Steve Cox were pretty good too.

rtr

A kickoff or punt return for a touchdown will ruin our time of possession.  Who needs that?
The more smites the more intelligent I get.