Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If we had a STUD #2 guard who couild shoot and play defense

Started by idochog, November 22, 2005, 07:30:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

idochog

we would be awesome, but we are missing that other playmaker on the outside.
I love Jesus!

HogInMemphis

Quote from: idochog on November 22, 2005, 07:30:05 am
we would be awesome, but we are missing that other playmaker on the outside.

If UConn had their starting PG, it would have been a 19 pt. win instead of a 9 pt. win.

Steve C

Geez.........we've had two games and already we suck??  You guys are so optimistic!!!  Is basketball season going to be like football season for most of you?  Nothing but hate and discontent!!  I hope that for Christmas you can find a better sports program to cheer for!!  The one you have now just isn't working out for ya!!

BigHog396

Quote from: Steve C on November 22, 2005, 08:21:42 am
Geez.........we've had two games and already we suck?? You guys are so optimistic!!! Is basketball season going to be like football season for most of you? Nothing but hate and discontent!! I hope that for Christmas you can find a better sports program to cheer for!! The one you have now just isn't working out for ya!!
It has nothing to do with being pessimistic, it has everything to do with seeing the same problems that we saw all season last year.  Poor/no movement, constant bone-headed mistakes, forced shots that were not necessary, lack of hustle for 30 minutes, need I go on.  Ferguson/Jefferson/Modica showed little if any improvement over what they did last year.  Thomas and Townes didn't bother to show up either.  Yeah, they all played well against Elkins JR High last Friday, but I would have looked good against that team.

I will concede the fact that UConn is the #3 team in the nation, but they were without their top 2 players.  The biggest problem was watching the hustle and discipline of UConn, and the lack of both from our players.  We supposedly have a veteran team now, but it did not show last night.  When UConn was in a man-to-man D, there was always someone in our players back pockets, when we were in a man-to-man, they were getting open shots left and right.  It was the same problem we had with man-to-man last year, too many people trying to "help", leaving their responsibility wide open.  Maybe it was just a bad game, or maybe they were just too awe struck by UConn and things will get better, but I am not going to hold my breath. 

Cajun Hog

We've played two games and one against the #3 team in the Country and your jumping ship.   ::)  The past for the past six years we've laid down, when they got down 17 points.  I'm glad they showed some heart and guts last night.  If and I do mean IF they continue to get better as the season goes on, they could be a tough out in the big dance.

BigHog396

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 22, 2005, 08:38:16 am
Geez.........we've had two games and already we suck??  You guys are so optimistic!!!  Is basketball season going to be like football season for most of you?  Nothing but hate and discontent!!  I hope that for Christmas you can find a better sports program to cheer for!!  The one you have now just isn't working out for ya!!

If i had seen anything in the previous three years from Heath that made me think he was a quality coach I would be optimistic. Hell, I'm not really sold on him as a recruiter. His top signees have been Brewer, Weems, Washington ( all Arkansans) Olu who he knew, I believe, his guardian well, and Jefferson who I'll give him props for signing. Where are the top PG prospects ? He can't sign a top PG which is the most important  position to succeed on the college level
This is the point I kept making last year, and we don't know how Weems and Washington will turn out.  Look at Jefferson, they touted him as the best JUCO player in the nation, and he has pretty well sucked since day one.  I would also have to say that Heath had nothing to do with us getting Brewer.  As long as Nolan was gone, Brewer was going to be a Hog, plain and simple.  Olu was the only player Heath has brought in, and we all see how well that one turned out.

Look, I am not going to give up hope on the team this early, but I still see a number of the same issues we had last year.  I don't know what anyone sees in Heath yet, but hopefully he will prove me wrong.  He doesn't have the fire and attitude to get in the players/refs faces after mistakes/blown calls, he doesn't seem like he knows what to do with his player combinations on the floor (almost like he just picks names out of a hat and tells them to get on the court), and most of all I don't see where he has done anything for us in recruiting.

JUMPIN JAHOGSAPHAT

Would you guys say you were pleased with our half court motion offense, our ability to block out, our transition defense, our free throw shooting?  I can't. Does that mean I'm ready to give up?  NO WAY!  I would imagine Stan Heath himself told his troops after the game that these were areas they needed to shore up and improve on in order to be successful.  If someone points that out on a message board, it doesn't necessarily mean they are ready to jump ship;  just stating the obvious.  Some of us take this stuff way to seriously.  This is a place were we can all state our opinion and act like we know what we're talking about, nothing else.

Cresthog

BigHog396 you are crazy. Heath gets a top 20 class every year since he's been here. Townes, Thomas, Brewer, McCurdy, wait...the entire team is his and he recruited them all. BigHog Brewer hated Nolan bc Nolan just expected him to be a hog without recruiting him. Brewer was OU's to take until Heath came in and recruited his ARSE off the get him nad its def. paid off. This years recruting class can only get better if we can sign one more. And lets not forget we got Gary Ervin waitng to play and if I remember correctly he lit us up last year or the year before fro mthe three point line. I have confidence in this team and coach Heath.

You have to have confidence with him bc he cant get fired. Bc if Houston doesnt get canned for not making a bowl two years in a row and horrible coaching decisions on the field then Heath cant get fired for missing the tourney this season bc that just gives Nolan's appeal everything to lose. Bc firing Heath will make us look racist and all of Nolans accusations against Nutt and Broyles will be true.

whatsshakinbacon

Slow down guys, this team will likely show some marked improvement, moreso than UConn, which already has a mature offensive system in place.  Before I give up on Heath I want to give him a few games to see if we will buy in to the Hipshire motion offense and run it fluidly. 

I think we have a load of talent.  What we lack are the cocky outside shooters that Nolan had.  It's early.

Bacon out...

hogfankb

I don't care about any of the Nutt/Nolan crap. I believe in Heath and think he will have us contending for many years to come. PERIOD.

May be removing my foot from my mouth at the end of the year. But until then GO HOGS!

hoggystyle78

It's only the second game of the year, let's see how they do today against Kansas. I am willing to give it a little more time for things to gel with our new offense. Besides I know UCONN is 2nd or 3rd in the country and they didn't have their PG but our guys didn't quit and after the way last season ended I would say that is a positive.In the end it really doesn't matter if Heath wins or not because if JFB doesn't fire dale there's no way Heath goes, even with a losing record, so settle in and let's see how improved we are.

hogfankb

Wish we had a guy like Starks or McNamara. I don't care if they cant do anything but shoot. It would just be nice to have one less defensive guy standing in the lane.

BigHog396

Quote from: Cresthog on November 22, 2005, 09:03:19 am
BigHog396 you are crazy. Heath gets a top 20 class every year since he's been here. Townes, Thomas, Brewer, McCurdy, wait...the entire team is his and he recruited them all. BigHog Brewer hated Nolan bc Nolan just expected him to be a hog without recruiting him. Brewer was OU's to take until Heath came in and recruited his ARSE off the get him nad its def. paid off. This years recruting class can only get better if we can sign one more. And lets not forget we got Gary Ervin waitng to play and if I remember correctly he lit us up last year or the year before fro mthe three point line. I have confidence in this team and coach Heath.

You have to have confidence with him bc he cant get fired. Bc if Houston doesnt get canned for not making a bowl two years in a row and horrible coaching decisions on the field then Heath cant get fired for missing the tourney this season bc that just gives Nolan's appeal everything to lose. Bc firing Heath will make us look racist and all of Nolans accusations against Nutt and Broyles will be true.
Look moron, who has HEATH actually brought in HIMSELF.  Townes was a gimme thanks to Ronnie Thompson.  Thomas hasn't proven anything yet.  Brewer was coming here PERIOD, as long as Nolan was gone, and yes you are correct that he wasn't going to come due to Nolan NEVER attempting to recruit him (but I already stated that).  Will McCurdy be any good... maybe, but we don't know yet.  The only "top" player that Heath had a MAJOR impact in recruiting was Olu, and that went over really well didn't it.  By the way, Modica was one of Nolan's boys, so no, Heath hasn't recruited them all.  If I am not mistaken, which I may be on this one, I believe Hunter was also one of Nolan's recruits.

If we had true top 20 recruiting classes each of these years, why are we still dealing with the same crap that we have dealt with since day one?  Again, show me where the so called great recruiting classes have gotten us.  And no, 1 or 2 GOOD players doesn't make a GREAT recruiting class.  I will give Heath credit for getting Hill, and he looks like he may become a beast in the post, but I don't HAVE to have confidence in Heath just because you don't think he can be fired.  Also, when did you hear me say I think he should be fired?  Do I have problems with his coaching philosophy?  Yes.  Do I think he is this "great" recruiter?  No.  Can he get the job done?  Quite possibly, but he hasn't shown anything to prove that yet. 

whatsshakinbacon

Anybody who questions recruiting needs to take a long hard look at Sonny Weems - this guy is the real deal.

Bacon out...

BigHog396

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 22, 2005, 10:00:28 am
Anybody who questions recruiting needs to take a long hard look at Sonny Weems - this guy is the real deal.

Bacon out...
Same was said about Jefferson (#1 JUCO player in the nation).  I hope you are right, but again this is an in-state kid that has always wanted to be a Hog.  And once again.... One player does not make a great recruiter.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: BigHog396 on November 22, 2005, 10:10:38 am

Bacon out...
Same was said about Jefferson (#1 JUCO player in the nation). I hope you are right, but again this is an in-state kid that has always wanted to be a Hog. And once again.... One player does not make a great recruiter.

We shall see...

;D

Bacon out...

BigHog396

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 22, 2005, 10:17:23 am
Quote from: BigHog396 on November 22, 2005, 10:10:38 am

Bacon out...
Same was said about Jefferson (#1 JUCO player in the nation). I hope you are right, but again this is an in-state kid that has always wanted to be a Hog. And once again.... One player does not make a great recruiter.

We shall see...

;D

Bacon out...
Exactly what I am saying.  I hope you are right, I just haven't seen anything to convince my yet.  Maybe UConn is just THAT good, and we will show up this afternoon.  I just hate that the freakin' KU game is on ESPN U.

whatsshakinbacon

I've been reflecting on last night's game a bit more today - I think last year we lose this game by 30 points, even with UConn's PG's out.  I saw some improvement last night and was happy with our half court defense as well.  Once we got back and set we did pretty well.

Bacon out...

Steve C

I know several people on this board that need to get their coaching resumes up-to-date so if their is a coaching change soon they will be available!  Because the apparently have ALL the answers to what ails the Hogs....football and basketball!!  And, you can talk all you want about being a fan that is tired of this and tired of that....yadda yadda yadda.....but I have to think the people there know a little more about coaching and recruiting than you or I ever thought about!  If this team shows improvement will all of yo be claiming we're back???  Time will tell!!

nwarazfan

Quote from: BigHog396 on November 22, 2005, 08:35:01 am
Geez.........we've had two games and already we suck?? You guys are so optimistic!!! Is basketball season going to be like football season for most of you? Nothing but hate and discontent!! I hope that for Christmas you can find a better sports program to cheer for!! The one you have now just isn't working out for ya!!
It has nothing to do with being pessimistic, it has everything to do with seeing the same problems that we saw all season last year. Poor/no movement, constant bone-headed mistakes, forced shots that were not necessary, lack of hustle for 30 minutes, need I go on. Ferguson/Jefferson/Modica showed little if any improvement over what they did last year. Thomas and Townes didn't bother to show up either. Yeah, they all played well against Elkins JR High last Friday, but I would have looked good against that team.

I will concede the fact that UConn is the #3 team in the nation, but they were without their top 2 players. The biggest problem was watching the hustle and discipline of UConn, and the lack of both from our players. We supposedly have a veteran team now, but it did not show last night. When UConn was in a man-to-man D, there was always someone in our players back pockets, when we were in a man-to-man, they were getting open shots left and right. It was the same problem we had with man-to-man last year, too many people trying to "help", leaving their responsibility wide open. Maybe it was just a bad game, or maybe they were just too awe struck by UConn and things will get better, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Another uneducated Ark basketball fan.  And Opine said we are a basketball school.  Ferguson and Jefferson showed little improvement?  I guess those illegal picks we had in the motion offense was because they weren't actually moving.  And UConn PLAYED with their two best players- Gay(the best player on the court) and Boone.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 22, 2005, 11:31:48 am
I've been reflecting on last night's game a bit more today - I think last year we lose this game by 30 points, even with UConn's PG's out. I saw some improvement last night and was happy with our half court defense as well. Once we got back and set we did pretty well.

Bacon out...

I agree Bacon and most good teams make their most improvement between the first and second games. It's been a loooonnnnngggg time sense we played two top notch team two day in a row.  We should learn a lot about this team.  Last night mistake are fixable and in the past we didn't have the horse to stay with the big boys.

nwarazfan

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 22, 2005, 12:09:38 pm

Bacon out...

He's from West Memphis and Westark. Heath better be able to land him.

?????????Weems has already signed with Arkansas.

return2glory

Quote from: nwarazfan on November 22, 2005, 12:00:39 pm
It has nothing to do with being pessimistic, it has everything to do with seeing the same problems that we saw all season last year. Poor/no movement, constant bone-headed mistakes, forced shots that were not necessary, lack of hustle for 30 minutes, need I go on.

Last time I checked they were playing 40 minute games.

nwarazfan

nwarazfan

Sorry I was confused by your original post and doubted your knowledge.  And I guess with the NCAA penalties and Nolan cloud and poor status of the program, Heath should have just been Coach K and selected McD AA's from the beginning.  The talent level today compared to 3 years ago or even two years ago is tremendous.  Our inside guys have more promise as a group than anything we have had in years and they are going into their 3rd game of their soph season. 

BigHog396

November 22, 2005, 12:20:04 pm #25 Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 12:25:34 pm by BigHog396
It has nothing to do with being pessimistic, it has everything to do with seeing the same problems that we saw all season last year. Poor/no movement, constant bone-headed mistakes, forced shots that were not necessary, lack of hustle for 30 minutes, need I go on. Ferguson/Jefferson/Modica showed little if any improvement over what they did last year. Thomas and Townes didn't bother to show up either. Yeah, they all played well against Elkins JR High last Friday, but I would have looked good against that team.

I will concede the fact that UConn is the #3 team in the nation, but they were without their top 2 players. The biggest problem was watching the hustle and discipline of UConn, and the lack of both from our players. We supposedly have a veteran team now, but it did not show last night. When UConn was in a man-to-man D, there was always someone in our players back pockets, when we were in a man-to-man, they were getting open shots left and right. It was the same problem we had with man-to-man last year, too many people trying to "help", leaving their responsibility wide open. Maybe it was just a bad game, or maybe they were just too awe struck by UConn and things will get better, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Another uneducated Ark basketball fan. And Opine said we are a basketball school. Ferguson and Jefferson showed little improvement? I guess those illegal picks we had in the motion offense was because they weren't actually moving. And UConn PLAYED with their two best players- Gay(the best player on the court) and Boone.
Uneducated?  Give me a break.  I won't even get into that argument because I really doubt you can even start to keep up with me on education.

Did you watch the game last night?  Ferguson and Jefferson have always had their moments, but as they did last year, they had numerous bone-headed mistakes.

Running around the court doesn't a motion offense make.  You have to have deliberate moves for a motion offense to work.  Did you notice how well we ran the pick-and-roll... Didn't think so becuase we didn't do well in the set offense.  We did very little offensively until we hit them with a full court press and started getting them to turn the ball over.

And finally, funny that the national media talked about the two top players (Williams and Price) that UConn was playing without.  Price was basically kicked-off the team, and Williams will not be back until after the fall semester.

nwarazfan

Those aren't UConn's top players.  They are two key players because of the position.

BigHog396

Quote from: return2glory on November 22, 2005, 12:11:04 pm
It has nothing to do with being pessimistic, it has everything to do with seeing the same problems that we saw all season last year. Poor/no movement, constant bone-headed mistakes, forced shots that were not necessary, lack of hustle for 30 minutes, need I go on.

Last time I checked they were playing 40 minute games.

No kidding.  That is exactly why I said a lack of hustle for 30 minutes.  They actually hustled and played pretty well for the last 10 minutes of the game...  Let's see, 10 minutes + 30 minutes =  Wow 40 minutes.

BigHog396

November 22, 2005, 12:30:00 pm #28 Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 12:43:48 pm by BigHog396
Quote from: nwarazfan on November 22, 2005, 12:21:31 pm
Those aren't UConn's top players. They are two key players because of the position.

Top players, key players, it's all semantics.  The fact is everyone has pointed out how much those losses will affect UConn.  That's like saying taking out Beck and McDaniel wouldn't have hurt us in '94.  The point is... no matter how good your team is, when you lose two of your key players, it will have a tremendous impact on the performance of the team.