Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This place is a ghost town today

Started by cmiller01, November 18, 2012, 03:23:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swinesong1

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on November 18, 2012, 10:25:42 pm
Don't you have to go back to 1994, to really get into this dynamic?  Were kids like Breems and Smithian even born yet?  There is an entire generation of kids/students who's primary association with Razorback basketball is Health and Pel, so I'd think that Anderson on the scene would generate some enthusiasm.  Maybe its just older guys like myself who still recall when Razorback Basketball was a huge deal even nationally, let alone state-wide.

Most likely you guys are right, Anderson and company will have to do something fantastic to generate interest, but I'd sure like to see people get behind the team.   And I'd like to see the U Of A get more aggressive with its promotion of the program.
The sad fact of the matter is it's not the program that's keeping fans away.  For many, it's who is coaching the basketball team that's the problem!  A lot of them are staying away and/or getting their thinly veiled digs in on message boards solely because Anderson is the head coach.  I have stated why in the past.  It's not hard to figure out.

WaltKowalski

I still believe the fan base is suffering from burn out from the FB season and having a hard time getting excited right now. It flows over. The coaching search is taking up a good portion of the emotional energy.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on November 18, 2012, 06:05:44 pm
Tell me this o wise one: when was the last time the Bud came close to selling out since the price hike to $25????

They will when they have a nationally ranked program like they did when they were selling out before.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on November 18, 2012, 10:14:40 pm
I don't guess I follow that one, sorry.

Long's hire of MA was viewed as a commitment to mediocrity.  Other than a few vocal posters on the internet, fans didn't want a Tommy Bowden ... they were ready for a Bobby Petrino.

There was widespread disappointment.  Not anger.  Disappointment. 

As a result, there is simply a lack of interest.  This was very predictable.  When MA wasn't given a chance at the job after Nolan got himself fired it was because there was no enthusiasm for him.  He'd not shown anything.  At UAB and Mizzou he did ok but he didn't create a program at either place that was consistently competitive at the top of the conference.   Crowds at Mizzou averaged well below capacity in an arena considerably smaller than BWA. 

If he does much better at Arkansas than he's done elsewhere then undoubtedly fans will get back on board.  For now, the expectations are low and people are finding other things to do. 

It's not pleasant but that's the way it is.

Swinesong1

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 19, 2012, 09:44:58 am
Long's hire of MA was viewed as a commitment to mediocrity.  Other than a few vocal posters on the internet, fans didn't want a Tommy Bowden ... they were ready for a Bobby Petrino.

As a result, there is simply a lack of interest.  This was very predictable.  When MA wasn't given a chance at the job after Nolan got himself fired it was because there was no enthusiasm for him.  He'd not shown anything.  At UAB and Mizzou he did ok but he didn't create a program at either place that was consistently competitive at the top of the conference.   Crowds at Mizzou averaged well below capacity in an arena considerably smaller than BWA. 

If he does much better at Arkansas than he's done elsewhere then undoubtedly fans will get back on board.  For now, the expectations are low and people are finding other things to do. 

You can spread that bull if it makes you feel better.  I'll attempt to wade thru it point-by-point:
1.  There is still lingering anger, not disappointment, over Anderson's hiring.
2.  If mediocrity is getting Hogs to NCAAs three out of 1st four years with a 3-3 record and one sweet 16 appearane(what he did at UAB), then I'll take it!  If mediocrity is getting Hogs to NCAAs three out of first five years with a 4-3 record and one elite 8 appearance (what he did at Mizzou), then I'll take it!
3. Crowds at Mizzou are notoriously below capacity.
4.  So according to you,  the only way fans will come to games is after Anderson's hogs reach the final four and/or win a national championship?  'Cause those are the only two things that are "much better" than what he's already accomplished at UAB and Mizzou.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 19, 2012, 10:04:15 am
You can spread that bull if it makes you feel better.  I'll attempt to wade thru it point-by-point:
1.  There is still lingering anger, not disappointment, over Anderson's hiring.
2.  If mediocrity is getting Hogs to NCAAs three out of 1st four years with a 3-3 record and one sweet 16 appearane(what he did at UAB), then I'll take it!  If mediocrity is getting Hogs to NCAAs three out of first five years with a 4-3 record and one elite 8 appearance (what he did at Mizzou), then I'll take it!
3. Crowds at Mizzou are notoriously below capacity.
4.  So according to you,  the only way fans will come to games is after Anderson's hogs reach the final four and/or win a national championship?  'Cause those are the only two things that are "much better" than what he's already accomplished at UAB and Mizzou.

It's not something I'm going to argue about.  I saw it coming. 

Try to put aside your emotions and look at things rationally.  Track records are great predictors.  And when looking at track records it's important to recognize what is true and what isn't.   A lot has been said on here that is either not true or way overblown while important facts have been dismissed.

The_Iceman

I know of no one that is angry/upset with the Mike Anderson hire. Most people I talk to are excited about basketball.

But I don't talk to many 50+ year old racists either....

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Swinesong1

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 19, 2012, 10:14:31 am
It's not something I'm going to argue about.  I saw it coming. 

Try to put aside your emotions and look at things rationally.  Track records are great predictors.  And when looking at track records it's important to recognize what is true and what isn't.   A lot has been said on here that is either not true or way overblown while important facts have been dismissed.
So his track record at UAB and Mizzou does not say he was a mediocre hire.  Well, I guess it does if you are KY, Duke, UNC, UConn, Syracuse or about 5 other schools who are perenially in the sweet 16 and/or win national championships.  Please tell me what important fact(s) I have overlooked.  I posted his NCAA record while at UAB and Mizzou (far from mediocre).  I stated the "fact" that Mizzou attendace has always been below capacity.  What am I missing?

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2012, 10:24:26 am
I know of no one that is angry/upset with the Mike Anderson hire. Most people I talk to are excited about basketball.

I mean no disrespct, but you are either new to message boards (this one in particular), a hermit or in denial.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 19, 2012, 10:36:44 am
I mean no disrespct, but you are either new to message boards (this one in particular), a hermit or in denial.

I don't count message boards as talking with people. I was referring to general people I encounter on campus, in class, at church, etc.

dsims2k3

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2012, 10:24:26 am

Thank goodness for Mississippi.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 19, 2012, 09:44:58 am

In my view, anyone associating Anderson's hiring as a commitment to mediocrity doesn't have the first clue about college basketball, and, they obviously have some type of an agenda.

Without question, the basketball program here had fallen to the level in which a "Bobby-Petrino-type hire" was unrealistic.  That said, I don't consider Anderson to be a sub-par hire by any stretch.

I would also submit that Arkansas is a much better job than UAB and Missouri.  History and Final Four statistics more than back up that analysis.

Expectations may be low for now, and that's fine.  But they are also in the process of changing.  This place has become gah-gah over football.  It's easy to be a football fan.  It takes effort to be a basketball fan, and that, coupled with the last few years of unsuccessful seasons have left fans in the state of flux at best.  You can fairly argue that some don't care about basketball anymore.

This is a big season for the Hogs, Anderson, and the entire program.  With better talent on the way, and quality kids in the program, an upswing is on the horizon.  Hopefully that upswing will also include the base of support, and those who were against Anderson's hire will realize they were against the hire for the wrong reasons.

WSPHOG

Basketball crowds across the nation are down last few yrs. with the exception of select few like Kentucky, Kansas and Duke. Especially before conference games start.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 18, 2012, 06:16:30 pm
Lame x 10,000.
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 18, 2012, 06:15:52 pm
The price hike has next to nothing to do with it. If people wanted to go, paying $25 wouldn't be a problem. We still see 50k+ paying $45+ for each ticket to a Razorback football game.

People just don't want to go. The in-game atmosphere isn't anywhere close to being what it once was. The mindset has been set to sit back and wait for the big games. Everyone wants a winner, but hardly anyone wants to help do their part and build one from the ground up.

I've been to every game, and will be at every game moving forward. $25 is not the reason.

The sad thing is that we've seen a decline in season ticket sales from last year to THIS year. Last season it was at 13.3k. This year it's around 12.5k. It's really sad.
I will agree with you on this one, people do not go because they are not excited about basketball anymore and they just plain do not want to go. Football stinking this year might be bad for the basketball team instead of good.