Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many scholarships?

Started by Nafunu32, January 22, 2018, 10:49:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nafunu32

I know this has been posted before, but I can't find it. Anytime I try searching, it gives a search domain error.

Prior to any kids leaving the team, didn't we have about 8 scholarships to hand out or is that not the right number?

Sorry to ask such an easy question, but hopefully I can get a quick reply and get this post sent to the trash. haha

jackflash

with  the prospect who are committing as many as he want

imtad16

The range looks to have been 16-18, but with the retirement of Zach Rogers and the transfer of Cole Hedlund that would make it 18-20. Ty Storey's name has been thrown out there quite a bit as a possible transfer. If he does transfer that would put it at 19-21.

ricepig

Quote from: imtad16 on January 22, 2018, 02:48:58 pm
The range looks to have been 16-18, but with the retirement of Zach Rogers and the transfer of Cole Hedlund that would make it 18-20. Ty Storey's name has been thrown out there quite a bit as a possible transfer. If he does transfer that would put it at 19-21.

No, we have 73 returning scholarship players, after taking out Hedlund and Rogers. If you add the signees and commits, you're at 85, the max you can have on scholarship. So, for every commit going forward, we will have to have a player leave by August 1st. I suspect there will more to leave, but an exact number would be a guess by us.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2018, 03:24:14 pm
No, we have 73 returning scholarship players, after taking out Hedlund and Rogers. If you add the signees and commits, you're at 85, the max you can have on scholarship. So, for every commit going forward, we will have to have a player leave by August 1st. I suspect there will more to leave, but an exact number would be a guess by us.

We could afford to lose some of the leftover "Bielema attitudes".

Figure some won't like having to pick up theirs own laundry and bringing writing materials to meetings.

MasterChiefHog

I learned something today. Thanks Rice. Does the coaching staff have the right to pull scholly's from anyone they want in August to make room for the new recruits?
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

ricepig

Quote from: MasterChiefHog on January 22, 2018, 03:40:41 pm
I learned something today. Thanks Rice. Does the coaching staff have the right to pull scholly's from anyone they want in August to make room for the new recruits?

Nope, scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years, except for walkons. You can't lose your scholarship for athletic reasons, only for academic or for violating athletic department policies.

imtad16

So, what do you think got us into this scholarship crunch. I don't ever recall Arkansas only being able to sign 12 in a class. I can understand maybe somewhere between 15 to 20, but 12 is very low. We haven't been over signing. In fact, during the Bielema era it seems like we were always asking why are we taking less than 25. Was it caused by the previous staff giving all the walk on scholarships? Is it due to not having players leave early for the draft? Or does it seem like there are less departures from the team because players are in wait and see mode? The numbers are a bit confusing this off season.

deedster84

How many scholarships are being taken by blue shirts?

WOOPIGDOOIE

Joshua Harris leaving open a spot?

ricepig

Quote from: imtad16 on January 22, 2018, 03:54:02 pm

So, what do you think got us into this scholarship crunch. I don't ever recall Arkansas only being able to sign 12 in a class. I can understand maybe somewhere between 15 to 20, but 12 is very low. We haven't been over signing. In fact, during the Bielema era it seems like we were always asking why are we taking less than 25. Was it caused by the previous staff giving all the walk on scholarships? Is it due to not having players leave early for the draft? Or does it seem like there are less departures from the team because players are in wait and see mode? The numbers are a bit confusing this off season.

Retention, just do the math. You can only have 85 on scholarship, throw in redshirting half of a class and you either have to have guys leave for the draft, or just leave in order to sign 20+ a year.

hawgwash

Whatever else you think of Bret Bielema, it's no doubt true he by and large recruited kids of above average character and grades.  So not many getting kicked out for disciplinary reasons, bad grades, etc.  I think that is probably the biggest part of the equation.

imtad16

Quote from: hawgwash on January 22, 2018, 04:58:53 pm
Whatever else you think of Bret Bielema, it's no doubt true he by and large recruited kids of above average character and grades.  So not many getting kicked out for disciplinary reasons, bad grades, etc.  I think that is probably the biggest part of the equation.

Good point. I guess these are similiar reasons as to why Stanford always signs less kids each class.

Right after the early signing period SEC Country projected 16-20 signatures. I guess they were projecting a few above the 16 Morris guessed they would sign.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/early-signing-period-projected-arkansas-signees-commitments-live-updates

It will be interesting if we are right at the threshold come the last weekend with the 4 stars coming. If we were able to pull a coup and get Goodrich and 1 of Miles Battle and Tommy Bush (still have to get one of his last visits). I guess you just take them and make it work out in the wash. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: deedster84 on January 22, 2018, 04:06:13 pm
How many scholarships are being taken by blue shirts?
2 for this class, Henry, and Clary

31to6

So, what do you think got us into this scholarship crunch. I don't ever recall Arkansas only being able to sign 12 in a class.
In the past we would have signed 25+ and just booted players to make the numbers work. Can't do that anymore.

That said, if you go look at top programs you will see that most of them have a smaller class every few years.

ChicoHog

Hogindasticks

Quote from: 31to6 on January 22, 2018, 06:22:47 pm
In the past we would have signed 25+ and just booted players to make the numbers work. Can't do that anymore.

That said, if you go look at top programs you will see that most of them have a smaller class every few years.

You can run them til they quit.......lol

Hogindasticks

I think that's why coach is pushing for more, he knows they won't all stay.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2018, 03:44:20 pm
Nope, scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years, except for walkons. You can't lose your scholarship for athletic reasons, only for academic or for violating athletic department policies.
Is an athletic scholarship guaranteed for four years?

At a minimum, an athletic scholarship must be a one academic year agreement.  In Division I, institutions are permitted to offer multiyear scholarships. Athletic scholarships may be renewed and the school must notify the student-athlete in writing by July 1 whether the athletic scholarship will be renewed for the next academic year. Individual schools have appeal policies for scholarships that are reduced or not renewed. In most cases, the coach decides who gets a scholarship, what it covers and whether it will be renewed.

ricepig

Quote from: IronMountainHog on January 22, 2018, 07:11:25 pm
Is an athletic scholarship guaranteed for four years?

At a minimum, an athletic scholarship must be a one academic year agreement.  In Division I, institutions are permitted to offer multiyear scholarships. Athletic scholarships may be renewed and the school must notify the student-athlete in writing by July 1 whether the athletic scholarship will be renewed for the next academic year. Individual schools have appeal policies for scholarships that are reduced or not renewed. In most cases, the coach decides who gets a scholarship, what it covers and whether it will be renewed.

P5's voted in 2015 to make them 4 year guarantees.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/17/cost-of-attendance-multi-year-scholarships-approved/

Tim Harris

Heinrich is retiring so there is another open spot.

lakecityhog

What percentage of the current class doesn't buy in and decides to move on? 5%(4) 8%(6) 10%(8)
It seems like we have a couple every year for whatever reason, but we have already had 3 this year!

My guess would be 5% or even 1 or 2 less so we would only have 3 maybe 4 more spots left open.

RaisinHog

One thing too keep in mind is everyone that has left in the past couple of days has made mention that Brett was aware of there plans too leave before he left .. therefore I don't think you can add spots I think the spots were already dependant upon there departure