Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I know we are dissapointed but....

Started by Piggfoot, October 24, 2017, 04:53:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael D Huff AIA

(to continue the subject's sentence)
I know we are dissapointed but.... regardless of how we feel, we are not a competitive program under CBB as his win / loss records show.
I know we are dissapointed but.... that feeling is justified given we have won 10 SEC games in 5 years.
I know we are dissapointed but.... the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over expecting different results.  Albert Einstein said that.  He's smart.
I know we are dissapointed but.... the fact of the matter remains that we are NOT going to get where we need to be with CBB running the show.  Buy him out.

bphi11ips

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 25, 2017, 09:02:01 am
Lol and if we were 7-0 right now you could also come on here and say "I told ya so." That's quite a winning position to be in boss!

You don't read very well.  My original post was more an anti-prediction than a prediction.  Prediction thread after prediction thread was started this past Summer.  Season prediction threads get silly around here.  I seldom post in them. 

What I consistently said is this - Arkansas had 3 slam dunks, 3 little chance, and 6 games that could go either way.  So far, we've won both slam dunks, lost both little chance, and lost three that could go either way.  Arkansas was a slight underdog in two and a slight favorite in one that could go either way.

At this point, the fans can either get behind the players with a chance to go to a bowl, or they can gripe and moan about the sorry AD and coach and stay away from the games and boo when they go. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HotlantaHog

In 5 years:
1) No championships, no playoff appearances;
2) Worst winning percentage in the SEC of any Arkansas coach;
3) Worst overall winning percentage of any permanent Arkansas coach;
4) Has never beaten Texas A&M;
5) Most losses of more than 30 points of any Arkansas coach;
6) Losses to Mississippi, Mississippi State and Mizzou -- teams we need to consistently beat to have a decent year.
7) Fans starting to give up as shown by empty stadium in the third quarter vs. Auburn.

In the end, results matter. I am sure there are good reasons this year is a disaster. Maybe CBB is a great coach and he will make it work elsewhere. I will be happy for him. It's nothing personal. Just at some point, you have to win at a moderate level.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 24, 2017, 04:53:58 pm
In rectalspectroscope.
Who knew that TCU would be that good? Ranked three in the nation by some.

Lost by a TD to A&M-
A&M record 5-2 Loss to UCLA and Alabama, win Ark, Fla,South Carolina

Lost to South Carolina, close game until we fell apart at the end
SC Record  5-2 Loss to Kentuck and A&M, Wins NC-st, Missou, Tenn, Ark

North Carolina St wins, Florida, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville.

Then of course losses to Ala and Auburn.

At the beginning of the season I didn't think we were going to be very good. We had an unpredictable receiver corp and a new defensive scheme. I didn't think our OL would be as bad.

I think there are several redshirt players that can help in the line. I saw some athletic looking big men on the sideline without pads but wearing Jerseys. I'm always hopeful the new recruits will turn out as good as our recruiting gurus portray them. They rarely do.

We're not where we want to be and inspite of it being the 5th year I'm on the fence as to whether Bielema stays or goes. I wonder if Long will interview the departing Seniors
on whether they think Bielema should go or stay.

These are all great points. The problem is, this is year 5. The rebuild is over. And we aren't competitive. We were more competitive in 2014 and 2015. It's not a stagnating team with a coach who is hitting his ceiling of 8 wins, it's regression. We won 8, and are slipping back down.

bphi11ips

October 25, 2017, 10:01:53 am #54 Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:15:12 am by bphi11ips
P.S. -  Ole Miss opened as 4 point favorite and is down to 3.5. That's basically homefield advantage.

SBNation says "What's great about this betting line is that no one knows what will transpire between these teams."

Captain Hogthrob

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 24, 2017, 04:53:58 pm
In rectalspectroscope.
Who knew that TCU would be that good? Ranked three in the nation by some.

Lost by a TD to A&M-
A&M record 5-2 Loss to UCLA and Alabama, win Ark, Fla,South Carolina

Lost to South Carolina, close game until we fell apart at the end
SC Record  5-2 Loss to Kentuck and A&M, Wins NC-st, Missou, Tenn, Ark

North Carolina St wins, Florida, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville.

Then of course losses to Ala and Auburn.

At the beginning of the season I didn't think we were going to be very good. We had an unpredictable receiver corp and a new defensive scheme. I didn't think our OL would be as bad.

I think there are several redshirt players that can help in the line. I saw some athletic looking big men on the sideline without pads but wearing Jerseys. I'm always hopeful the new recruits will turn out as good as our recruiting gurus portray them. They rarely do.

We're not where we want to be and inspite of it being the 5th year I'm on the fence as to whether Bielema stays or goes. I wonder if Long will interview the departing Seniors
on whether they think Bielema should go or stay.

It's a rough year for all kinds of reasons. I'm not convinced it's time to cut bait but that isn't my call/problem. I do find the name calling and personal insults to be rude and distasteful. I think that behavior shows that some people are just in love with hating more than they're concerned with winning.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Captain Hogthrob

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 25, 2017, 09:17:10 am
You don't read very well.  My original post was more an anti-prediction than a prediction.  Prediction thread after prediction thread was started this past Summer.  Season prediction threads get silly around here.  I seldom post in them. 

What I consistently said is this - Arkansas had 3 slam dunks, 3 little chance, and 6 games that could go either way.  So far, we've won both slam dunks, lost both little chance, and lost three that could go either way.  Arkansas was a slight underdog in two and a slight favorite in one that could go either way.

At this point, the fans can either get behind the players with a chance to go to a bowl, or they can gripe and moan about the sorry AD and coach and stay away from the games and boo when they go. 
Preach!
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

EastexHawg

Quote from: hoglady on October 25, 2017, 08:44:36 am
Bret truly hasn't been worth a flip since he got here.
Starts slow, terrible second half team and turns winnable games into losses / it's happened every single year.
He didn't really have a plan for building a competitive SEC team and here we are in year 5 with a fully Bielema recruited team. The team is fragile because Bielema is lost, without a clue how to turn it around.
He should be done.

After his first year Bielema said that he underestimated the athleticism of SEC players.  REALLY?  We hired a coach who didn't know how big, fast, and strong SEC football players are?  Everyone in American who even casually watches football knows that.  What else did he not know, that it is hot in Alabama in early September?

It's yet another example of our moron athletic director hiring a coach who was a terrible, ill prepared fit for the job.  We keep hearing that he was a "big name" and that therefore he was a great hire at the time.  No, he wasn't.  A backhoe is an absolutely invaluable tool if you are digging a grave, but useless if you're taking the family from Arkansas to a ski vacation in Colorado.

RebHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 24, 2017, 05:54:21 pm
Believe it or not I'm not Jeff but would love to have his job and pay.
I understand what you are saying but it is hard to make adjustments when you are getting you butts kicked. It's not Bielema's job to make adjustments. I would think that would be the responsibility of the press box crew. For what it's worth our assistant coaches came from losing programs. That is the problem. Now how does Bielema fix that? I don't know.
I've been told that Frank Broyles was not a good sideline coach. Apparently he got too nervous. His assistants and he had some great ones were said to have told him "relax coach we've got this" and most of the time they did.
A head coach does have to have an understanding of all scheme aspects. I believe a great coach like Saban does. Bielema I'm not so sure.
It is interesting that some of his assistant coaches have gone on to good programs. Will be interesting to see how Canada does over all at LSU.

Did you really just... Im calling troll on this one

jabberjawls

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 25, 2017, 09:05:59 am
You may be right. 

It's the psyche of the team where fans can help or hurt right now.  That was part of the point of what I said in June.  If things went wrong in the early winnable swing games, it could get ugly by Bama and Auburn.  It did.  But there are five games left, three of which are winnable, one a slam dunk, and one a long shot.

Fans make a difference.  Arkansas fans are what made the program great to begin with.  National media never have been able to figure out why Arkansas over achieves.  The answer has always been because it has had, until recently, an entire state united behind  the team.  It remains to be seen whether that will ever be the case again.  How fans handle the next five games may be an indication.
You are absolutely wrong!!  Fans have been solidly behind the Razorbacks for the past 5 years until recently.  It made no difference.  In fact, it probably made the AD and the coaches complacent. (especially the AD)

jabberjawls

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 25, 2017, 10:01:53 am
P.S. -  Ole Miss opened as 4 point favorite and is down to 3.5. That's basically homefield advantage.

SBNation says "What's great about this betting line is that no one knows what will transpire between these teams."
There is a reason why we have been the underdog.  Have you figured it out?  If you haven't i will give you a clue.

hoglady

You may be right. 

It's the psyche of the team where fans can help or hurt right now.  That was part of the point of what I said in June.  If things went wrong in the early winnable swing games, it could get ugly by Bama and Auburn.  It did.  But there are five games left, three of which are winnable, one a slam dunk, and one a long shot.

Fans make a difference.  Arkansas fans are what made the program great to begin with.  National media never have been able to figure out why Arkansas over achieves.  The answer has always been because it has had, until recently, an entire state united behind  the team.  It remains to be seen whether that will ever be the case again.  How fans handle the next five games may be an indication.

I do agree that overall the program needs statewide support to be successful over the long run.
I don't believe that the fans make much difference in the direction of this particular team.
I think that Bielema is a weak, fragile leader and in turn the players have no faith in his ability to make changes that can lead to success.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 25, 2017, 10:01:53 am

No, what's really great is that after Saturday this miserable excuse of a game will be in the rear view mirror forever.

bphi11ips

Quote from: jabberjawls on October 25, 2017, 02:46:38 pm
You are absolutely wrong!!  Fans have been solidly behind the Razorbacks for the past 5 years until recently.  It made no difference.  In fact, it probably made the AD and the coaches complacent. (especially the AD)

The crowd at the TCU game was not what it should have been, to be kind.

jabberjawls

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 25, 2017, 05:07:07 pm
The crowd at the TCU game was not what it should have been, to be kind.
You must be a plant, relative, close friend or paid troll because if that is your argument, then you are grasping at straws.  The sunshine pumpers  were on here after TCU proclaiming the crowd  at TCU to be great.  But assuming that you are correct, that the TCU crowd was not as supportive as it should have been for our fragile team, what about the other 4 years??

Tusks

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on October 25, 2017, 08:36:58 am
FAMU   2-6
NM State  3-4
combined  5-10

Winner winner chicken dinner.

The hogs suck right now.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hogwild

Over achieves?   We are below .500 all time in conference play, never won the SEC, have a losing bowl record by a lot. Never seen a crystal trophy in Fayetteville.

bphi11ips

Quote from: jabberjawls on October 25, 2017, 05:12:04 pm
You must be a plant, relative, close friend or paid troll because if that is your argument, then you are grasping at straws.  The sunshine pumpers  were on here after TCU proclaiming the crowd  at TCU to be great.  But assuming that you are correct, that the TCU crowd was not as supportive as it should have been for our fragile team, what about the other 4 years??

Yeah.  I've logged over 13,000 posts in 11 years so I could type that one.

Were you at the TCU game? 

bphi11ips

Quote from: tusked on October 25, 2017, 05:15:05 pm
Winner winner chicken dinner.

The hogs suck right now.

Did you seriously think Arkansas would lose either of those two expensive scrimmages? 

FAMU and NMSU's records are completely irrelevant.

Hogwild

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 25, 2017, 06:09:43 pm

I admire your dedication  ;D

Hollywood870

Quote from: jackflash on October 24, 2017, 06:10:28 pm
some of these teams we lost too I didn't expect a win
Did you expect the team to look horrid and get blown away as much as they have?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hollywood870 on October 25, 2017, 06:20:39 pm
Did you expect the team to look horrid and get blown away as much as they have?

Lol. 

We were down 14-7 with 3:00 minutes left against TCU when pass interference gave them a first down on an overthrown 3rd down pass. 

A bad QB decision in OT ended the A&M game.

Three bad QB decisions turned a close game at SC into a rout.

Yes - I expected Alabama and Auburn to beat the snot out of Arkansas. 

Snouty

You may be right. 

By my count, the Razorbacks are 90-113-2 in conference games since joining the SEC.  I love the Hogs, but that is hardly overachieving.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on October 24, 2017, 07:49:39 pm
It's got more to do with not being the slightest bit competitive than the losses. The losses while being competitive I can handle ( although I'd rather win), but the not being competitive, looking like you could care less. That's what chaps my ass.
I agree.The TCU score was misleading.TCU made more mistakes in that game than they probably have all year.
I love off season Football!!

hawgfan4life

His strength was supposed to be developing OL.  Our OL was horrible last year and is worse this year prior to losing his best lineman that he should have prepared to lose last year.  He got a bonus year from Ragnow and we looked like a Chinese fire drill, Charlie Chaplin skit, and a 3 ring circus all rolled into one since game 1 with no real improvement to show.  If OL is his strength, I don't see special teams or anything else improving soon.  Need to change!

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

snoblind

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 25, 2017, 06:09:43 pm

Were you at the TCU game? 

I was.  When we couldn't punch it in in the 2nd Q I figured we were beat.  TCU had dropped a couple of possible touchdown passes so we were lucky to be down 7 points.  Doesn't matter how hard you spin it we were not as competitive as you think.

bphi11ips

Quote from: snoblind on October 25, 2017, 07:17:34 pm
I was.  When we couldn't punch it in in the 2nd Q I figured we were beat.  TCU had dropped a couple of possible touchdown passes so we were lucky to be down 7 points.  Doesn't matter how hard you spin it we were not as competitive as you think.

Spin what?  Had it not been for the PI, Austin Allen would have had more time than he had in Fort Worth to take the offense the length of the field to tie the game.  Right or wrong? 

What did you think of the crowd? 

Hawgphat

I'm way beyond "disappointed".  If I truly felt that everything was being done that COULD be done, and that we are just in one of those dismal trenches that come along every once in a while, then I could be philosophical about it, grin and bear it - - and say "This, too, shall pass".

But I can't; - - - - and it won't.

:(