Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it just me...

Started by 010HogFan, March 14, 2018, 03:41:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

010HogFan

or does it look like the players are actually having somewhat of a good time now practicing under this new staff? Like they GET to play and not like they HAVE to play. I don't mean having a good time in the sense that they are out there goofing around or anything like that, but the video shorts that are being released of our practices seem to be capturing the energy the players are showing up with in a completely new light that I haven't seen around here...maybe ever. You can tell they are genuinely excited to be out there, almost to the point that it looks like a trailer for a stereotypical movie about football. I know the players liked the old staff, and would never say anything bad about them, but did we ever see this much raw emotion and unhinged competition on display to this level this early? Maybe it's because this staff has made it a point to make everything a huge competition from the start, or because we practice "best on best", or because the players are just excited for a change, but it's definitely a good look.

Pig in the Pokey

the last guy was cancer. thank god for this staff.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

East TN HAWG

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 14, 2018, 03:41:02 pm
or does it look like the players are actually having somewhat of a good time now practicing under this new staff? Like they GET to play and not like they HAVE to play. I don't mean having a good time in the sense that they are out there goofing around or anything like that, but the video shorts that are being released of our practices seem to be capturing the energy the players are showing up with in a completely new light that I haven't seen around here...maybe ever. You can tell they are genuinely excited to be out there, almost to the point that it looks like a trailer for a stereotypical movie about football. I know the players liked the old staff, and would never say anything bad about them, but did we ever see this much raw emotion and unhinged competition on display to this level this early? Maybe it's because we make everything a huge competition from the start, or because we practice "best on best", or because the players are just excited for a change, but it's definitely a good look.

I suspect the energy given from the HC probably trinkles down throughout the organization.  Probably more of a buzz because of it. 

010HogFan

Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 14, 2018, 03:46:17 pm
I suspect the energy given from the HC probably trinkles down throughout the organization.  Probably more of a buzz because of it. 

When you see all this energy, you realize how much it was missing

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 14, 2018, 03:46:17 pm
In all well run organizations the energy trickles from the top down. If the "front office" doesn't have it then it's unlikely the folks "on the firing line" will have it either. Not saying this will necessarily translates in to any more wins this coming season, however, the energy and (hopefully) the more intense stamina our guys are building will at least help us keep from our second half swoons we've been so unfortunately used to seeing over the past few years.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bennyl08

or does it look like the players are actually having somewhat of a good time now practicing under this new staff? Like they GET to play and not like they HAVE to play. I don't mean having a good time in the sense that they are out there goofing around or anything like that, but the video shorts that are being released of our practices seem to be capturing the energy the players are showing up with in a completely new light that I haven't seen around here...maybe ever. You can tell they are genuinely excited to be out there, almost to the point that it looks like a trailer for a stereotypical movie about football. I know the players liked the old staff, and would never say anything bad about them, but did we ever see this much raw emotion and unhinged competition on display to this level this early? Maybe it's because this staff has made it a point to make everything a huge competition from the start, or because we practice "best on best", or because the players are just excited for a change, but it's definitely a good look.

It's a bit of both. As a fan, it's natural to look for anything an everything to be better with a new coach. I'd wager that I could probably show you two clips from last year's spring ball and tell you that one of those clips was from this year and you would innately find the one you perceive to be from this year to be better. And when I say "you" I am referring to you singularly but this also applies to the general you.

Further, you are going to see a increased level of excitement and energy at literally any team that hires a new coach. Even if Saban left for the NFL this off-season and they were having to replace arguably the best coach of all time, there'd be excitement and new energy just as an inherent part of the change.

Also, given that he wants to play at a fast pace, he likely practices at a faster pace and the players could be even less excited but it would look like they are more simply due to having to operate faster. Note, I'm not saying that aren't excited and there's a good chance that they are in fact more excited. Simply saying that the speed of practice can add a sort of optical illusion to all of that as well.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jgphillips3

All the horses were pulling in different directions the past couple of years.  Recruiting spread linemen but not running the spread.  Getting beasts like Sosa and asking him to occupy a lineman instead of attacking.  Taking your weakest link, linebackers, and asking them to cover and make the plays.  Players could sense that what they were being asked to do, or not allowed to do, didn't mesh.  This staff is 100% cohesive and of the same vision (Bret's original staff was pretty cohesive but he completely mismanaged hires).  I think these kids know everyone is on the same page and they will be given EVERYTHING they need to win and win now.  Couple that with a high energy staff and no doubt they look happy.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 14, 2018, 06:29:31 pm
All the horses were pulling in different directions the past couple of years.  Recruiting spread linemen but not running the spread.  Getting beasts like Sosa and asking him to occupy a lineman instead of attacking.  Taking your weakest link, linebackers, and asking them to cover and make the plays.  Players could sense that what they were being asked to do, or not allowed to do, didn’t mesh.  This staff is 100% cohesive and of the same vision (Bret’s original staff was pretty cohesive but he completely mismanaged hires).  I think these kids know everyone is on the same page and they will be given EVERYTHING they need to win and win now.  Couple that with a high energy staff and no doubt they look happy.

I think you're on to something there.

Al Boarland

They're undefeated right now.

havok

IMO the players (Especially at that age) become a reflection of their leaders/coaches.

The Last staff seemed like sloths, who had several over weight, slow, and so laid back, that they didn't seem to have any sense of any urgency in any aspects in regards to football.  It appeared to rub off on the players to act the same..to a point where it appeared "OK" by everyone to get blown out week after week..and just have an attitude of "Oh Well.. we are almost there..so no sense of urgency to fix things".

The New staff is an injection of energy. confidence, and the players at this point appear to be responding in kind to adopt the same attitudes.

kp72204

Speaking of Agim, we were sure he was 3 and gone. Think he'll stay for 4? Fast lane got derailed (no fault of his own).

Porkys Revenge

I'll never get over how we would be getting curb stomped and Bert would just stand there with a blank look on his face. No emotion whatsoever. Showed how little he actually cared.

Im sure he was busy thinking about what kind of RV he was gonna get with all that buyout money, but it was still hard to watch.

presidenthog

Quote from: kp72204 on March 14, 2018, 07:31:38 pm
Speaking of Agim, we were sure he was 3 and gone. Think he'll stay for 4? Fast lane got derailed (no fault of his own).

He will be drafted super high on potential alone. His lack of production for a highly picked player means nothing. We see it happen all the time.

supersaint

Kids act hyped when the camera is on them.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

ballinhog

This staff has me feeling that way. I had gotten to where I wasn't as religious following recruiting as I've always been. They have gotten my excitement level probably higher than it's ever been.

We have one of the top 4 coaching staffs in the SEC there's no doubt in my mind that will be proven. Maybe top 3. Heck we may have the best lol

HogBreath

Quote from: ballinhog on March 14, 2018, 08:19:30 pm
This staff has me feeling that way. I had gotten to where I wasn't as religious following recruiting as I've always been. They have gotten my excitement level probably higher than it's ever been.

We have one of the top 4 coaching staffs in the SEC there's no doubt in my mind that will be proven. Maybe top 3. Heck we may have the best lol

Oh yeah, these guys are right there at the top.  The Hogs will be the surprise of the SEC this season and Coach Morris will be coach of the year.  It's gonna be good.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Farmer Hogget

"Best coaching staff in the SEC"

"Will surprise everyone"

"Blah, blah, blah."

We haven't even seen the Red/White game and this is what you really think?  Let's not put any unrealistic expectations on the new staff or the team.

Could these things happen?  It's doubtful but. . .maybe.  Why don't we just wait and see what happens and curb our expectations until we see what the team looks like in the first game and what not.

wildhogman

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on March 14, 2018, 09:12:12 pm

"Will surprise everyone"

"Blah, blah, blah."

We haven't even seen the Red/White game and this is what you really think?  Let's not put any unrealistic expectations on the new staff or the team.

Could these things happen?  It's doubtful but. . .maybe.  Why don't we just wait and see what happens and curb our expectations until we see what the team looks like in the first game and what not.
Agreed. I think most fans will settle for looking like they have a clue, coaches animated and coaching hard each game looking fully invested. No matter the record. Just please don't go 0-fer in SEC games.  I don't think my eyes can take what will happen on this board. 

Jimbob111

I'd settle for players who don't look bloated and out of shape, coaches who looked engaged with the game and with the players, and a team (coaches and players) that don't quit at halftime, whether behind or ahead.

I agree with the previous poster who said there will be energy with any new coaching staff but with a caveat:  only if the players buy in to what the coach is selling.

I'm excited for the coming season and am determined, regardless of record, to enjoy the games, something I never did under the previous coaching staff. The only games I can remember truly enjoying was the Texas Tech game when the Hogs went to their field and ran the ball down their throats all game and played keep-away and the bowl game against Texas. 

The previous staff lacked any sense of urgency in their approach to the game and that trickled down to the players.  What I see as much as energy is a sense of urgency. Get it done THIS play, it's all about THIS down. That's where I'm seeing the energy. Every single play is THE play.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

SooieGeneris

Quote from: havok on March 14, 2018, 07:19:45 pm
IMO the players (Especially at that age) become a reflection of their leaders/coaches.

The Last staff seemed like sloths, who had several over weight, slow, and so laid back, that they didn't seem to have any sense of any urgency in any aspects in regards to football.  It appeared to rub off on the players to act the same..to a point where it appeared "OK" by everyone to get blown out week after week..and just have an attitude of "Oh Well.. we are almost there..so no sense of urgency to fix things".

The New staff is an injection of energy. confidence, and the players at this point appear to be responding in kind to adopt the same attitudes.

I've always heard that in any sport a team assumes the personality of the HC. I have seen way too much evidence of that to not believe it is true. It seems to show up especially in the game of football.

It may take time for that to show up in games, maybe not. I'm not ready to declare this staff in the Top -- of the SEC or any league. I like the way they go about their business and the way they are doing things, the energy etc but it's a 'show me" World we live in.

We won't know about all those things until we see our team vs another squad, even several SEC squads. If we get off to a really good start, we need to rein in expectations and not start making reservations for Atlanta in Dec.

I recall what OM fans were saying about their new coach in 2008. "Best coach here since Johnny Vaught", "Arkansas was SO stupid to let him get away" and all that rot.

I will be rooting for this staff to succeed as hard as anyone while reserving judgment on the best, hypothetical future championships etc.

I am enjoying the enthusiasm of the players coaches and we fans though. Last season I was not dreading the start or looking forward to it. The old staff, at least the HC, had so drained optimism and enthusiasm it was almost like a dental appointment.

Something necessary but certainly no fun. The TCU and A&M games in the first 3 quarters gave me the old familiar feeling of having seen that movie before and knowing the ending would almost just as certainly be the same as before.

I would gladly accept watching a team play with passion and enthusiasm for FOUR quarters in an aggressive style of football on both sides of the ball and special teams.

Knowing that the players have been conditioned to the max, well prepared but with a staff that has at least some ability to adjust to the unexpected and a HC who doesn't have the "don't just so something stand there" approach with that Beavis & Butthead look on his face would go a long way with me.

One poster above called BB a cancer. I think that's a bit overboard. The former coach  nicknamed Bert is more of a huge boil on the behind that had to be lanced.

Losing all these free agents to other NFL teams won't help NE along with having a soon to be 41 year old QB who seems to realize now that the end is near. Losing the LT is a blow, but the biggest blow to the NE dynasty might just be hiring Bert if it happens.

Were he to be given much responsibility, he could do what the Dolphins, Bills and Jets have been unable to do for years and direct the REAL BB into the Iceberg. Maybe Belichick can overcome having Bert on his staff, if anyone can he's the guy, but I think that dynasty is on it's last legs anyway.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

1highhog

Instead of drinking Gatorade on the sidelines now they're drinking Red Bulls, it makes a huge difference.

010HogFan

Quote from: 1highhog on March 15, 2018, 03:36:53 am
Instead of drinking Gatorade on the sidelines now they're drinking Red Bulls, it makes a huge difference.

LOL +1

PorkRinds

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 14, 2018, 07:41:16 pm
I'll never get over how we would be getting curb stomped and Bert would just stand there with a blank look on his face. No emotion whatsoever. Showed how little he actually cared.

Im sure he was busy thinking about what kind of RV he was gonna get with all that buyout money, but it was still hard to watch.
It's like you only watched the games on TV.

Al Boarland

Quote from: 1highhog on March 15, 2018, 03:36:53 am

$5 says someone makes a post taking shots at CCM for drinking Red Bulls if the team starts to struggle.

AirWarren

It's all fun and games until the SEC opener....

AirWarren

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 15, 2018, 11:17:50 am
$5 says someone makes a post taking shots at CCM for drinking Red Bulls if the team starts to struggle.

I'll up it.

And say he spends too much time on social media and not coaching.

Count De Money

Old sports proverb, "How you practice is how you'll play."

010HogFan

Quote from: AP85 on March 15, 2018, 11:29:18 am
It's all fun and games until the SEC opener....

I don't necessarily agree. The first thing that had to change in our program was the culture. If your culture doesn't emphasize and facilitate competition in everything you do and other programs do, you're already at a huge disadvantage. I also don't think there will be any "playing favorites" with this staff from what I have witnessed so far. These non-tangible things seem very important to me.

010HogFan

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 15, 2018, 01:01:56 am
I recall what OM fans were saying about their new coach in 2008. "Best coach here since Johnny Vaught", "Arkansas was SO stupid to let him get away" and all that rot.

The difference is, I don't think Chad Morris is a big goofball like that guy. There's just something about him that makes you think he is going to win and win big.

Athog

Well they did not have a good time under Bobby!

Pig in the Pokey

"Will surprise everyone"

"Blah, blah, blah."

Do you follow college football outside of Arkansas? Not trying to be an [CENSORED] here, just sayin'-  We have (easily) a top 5 defensive coordinator and a top 5 offensive coordinator (counting morris in that equation a bit) in the entire country. In fact, 4 years ago, Chavis was the #1 DC and Morris was the #1 OC in the country. Hope is a good thing, Bawz.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 15, 2018, 11:14:51 am
It's like you only watched the games on TV.
well, i actually have seen that look from the south end zone , too. even live it was disturbing.

#drunkORclueless #eithersucks

Al Boarland

March 17, 2018, 11:54:52 am #33 Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:12:20 pm by Al Boarland
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 17, 2018, 11:03:29 am
Do you follow college football outside of Arkansas? Not trying to be an [CENSORED] here, just sayin'-  We have (easily) a top 5 defensive coordinator and a top 5 offensive coordinator (counting morris in that equation a bit) in the entire country. In fact, 4 years ago, Chavis was the #1 DC and Morris was the #1 OC in the country. Hope is a good thing, Bawz.

4 years ago is a long time. We'll see what Chavis is able to roll out on the field with the kind of talent that makes its way to the UofA. The bar is pretty low, so any improvement should be evident.

farmhawg

"Will surprise everyone"

"Blah, blah, blah."

The bar has been set at the lowest level in a long time by Bert. Worst coach we have ever had.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hawgphat

There is obviously a new energy level and a new focus upon intense physical and mental development which has been brought to bear by this new regime.  Although those aspect considerations don't necessarily positively guarantee success, they certainly don't portend to be detrimental to our prospects for the achievement of success.  We won't know for sure until next September what the fruits of this new, redirected effort will entail; - - but I'm extremely hopeful that significant progress will be achieved THIS YEAR on the basis of this committed general effort alone.  Why any true Hogs fan would be moved to bash or to detract from this concerted new program effort is beyond my comprehension.

ShepHog

I recently started my 2nd masters at Arkansas, and prior to this I went to UNT and TCU. Both schools play SMU on a regular basis. One thing was obvious, the kids who played for Morris and staff loved it. When I heard Morris got the gig with the Razorbacks I was a little down about it, because the schools I went too were taught to hate SMU and all things ponies related. However, it is growing on me. Happy players play hard and want to give all they have. It is contagious. He works his ass off for these players. I believe with time he will get wins. Glad to be here a part of the University of Arkansas. I will be a proud HOG for life. GO HOGS!

longbore

LZH

I really don't know how people can drink that stuff, it tastes terrible. Besides, hasn't it been linked to some heart attacks?

Hawgphat

Quote from: LZH on March 18, 2018, 06:27:42 am
I really don't know how people can drink that stuff, it tastes terrible. Besides, hasn't it been linked to some heart attacks?

I don't drink - as a personal choice.  I have no criticism of those who do, - - as long as they don't allow alcohol to take control of their motor functions and their attitudes to the detriment of others.  When I tasted beer for the first time - at age 20, while in the Army - I immediately thought that it was the most horrible-tasting, panther pi** derivative, gosh-awful brew it had ever been my misfortune to taste.  Those in my company at the time all said "You'll get used to the taste and grow to like it eventually". - - - - - - - ???????????  - - - - - Why in the world anyone would want to "get used to" such a foul-tasting concoction is beyond me.  I never took another sip of beer,- - seeing absolutely no point in managing to "get used to it".  But that's just me.  I'm not judging anyone else.

rhames

Quote from: AP85 on March 15, 2018, 11:30:00 am
I'll up it.

And say he spends too much time on social media and not coaching.

I'll add someone saying it's because he is an aggie at heart and doesn't love the hogs.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

fullfan

Just hoping for the same positive energy in October and November.

ChicoHog

Lol!  And Red Bulls are terrible for your health also.  Not sure we want to be associated with that.  Too many stories of kids slamming those energy drinks and then going into cardiac arrest. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 17, 2018, 11:03:29 am
I like your optimism but ranking assistant coaches is very subjective.  It's tough enough to rank head coaches but at least you have wins and losses.  For assistants it's all opinion and subjectivity along with the thinking that if your defense/offense is good then it must be the coordinator. It's just way too subjective for me to determine that. 

oldbooniehog

I look forward to seeing how y'all post next season the first time a truly good SEC team beats the Hogs by about 35 points.

farmhawg

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 18, 2018, 07:02:58 pm
I look forward to seeing how y'all post next season the first time a truly good SEC team beats the Hogs by about 35 points.
You poor miserable thing....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

goodguytex

Quote from: farmhawg on March 18, 2018, 08:34:51 pm
You poor miserable thing....
Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 18, 2018, 07:02:58 pm
Well, it could happen. We are all Hog fans posting on a hog message board, and I'm pretty sure none of us wish for that to happen. But it might at some point.

Going from 1 system to another is going to present some issues, especially in year 1. And while being positive and optimistic is a great way to be, there's going to be some very frustrating moments over the next couple of years. We just as fans have to hope Morris has the ability, the staff, the tools necessary to overcome the bad and build the program to where it should be.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: farmhawg on March 17, 2018, 11:58:48 am
The bar has been set at the lowest level in a long time by Bert. Worst coach we have ever had.

I see you're forgetting John L, Houston, etc..
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: DLUXHOG on March 18, 2018, 09:52:13 pm
I see you're forgetting John L, Houston, etc..
Johnelle Ill give you, but i dont count Interim coaches. Dale was a way better coach than Bert
totally agree.

MuskogeeHogFan

Actually that title belongs to Danny Ford. Despite having won the West while recording a 8-5 record one season while he was here, he had a worse W-L record the other 4 years he was here. He went 4-7 three times and 5-5-1 one year. That one year was later upgraded to 6-4-1 because Alabama had to forfeit their victory over Arkansas due to the use of an ineligible player. So over his 5 years here he had a true W-L record of 25-31-1 (.447). Bielema does run a close second at 29-34 (.460).

Go Hogs Go!