Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beating Florida

Started by elksnort, January 15, 2018, 10:18:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

January 15, 2018, 10:18:17 pm Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:38:37 am by elksnort
Would not alleviate the inconsistency of the Razorbacks, but it would be huge.

Just hoping.

By the way, Bob Holt just sounds silly.

I hopped right to it.

Let me say that I hope CMA tries to go big tomorrow night to take advantage of the gator's big man not playing. I hope the heck he does not try and press them.

bigred223

Kind of early to be hopping

CPO Hog

Quote from: bigred223 on January 16, 2018, 06:49:57 am
Kind of early to be hopping
Unless you're going down the bunny trail.

arkirish

Quote from: elksnort on January 15, 2018, 10:18:17 pm
Would not alleviate the inconsistency of the Razorbacks, but it would be huge.

Just hopping.

By the way, Bob Holt just sounds silly.

Here's to "hopping" we get that big win on the road.

Mr. Porkleone

Not happening

Gators 86
Hogs 65

zulookn

When was the last time we beat Florida? It will be another rout..Gators by 20+. This team has been exposed. NIT at best.
I was Ho-Hum about the hiring of Mike. Hope he does well but I am not holding my breath. 

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: zulookn on January 16, 2018, 02:03:52 pm
When was the last time we beat Florida? It will be another rout..Gators by 20+. This team has been exposed. NIT at best.
I was Ho-Hum about the hiring of Mike. Hope he does well but I am not holding my breath.
that's a lot of knowledge for your first post ever
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Wisco Pig

I think the game will be close.  This isn't a vintage Florida team to begin with.  Their front line was already busted up going into last weekend, and then Gorjok Gak suffered a concussion in the loss to Ole Miss.  Mike White said his squad is down to six scholarship players available for practice. 

Florida is 4-1 in SEC play, but they've had a fairly favorable conference schedule so far -- they won at Texas A&M with the Aggies playing without three key starters and they essentially stole a win in the last few seconds at Missouri.  Their home wins have been against Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

Bottom line:  Florida is still dangerous, but they're beatable, even at home.

elksnort

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 16, 2018, 02:12:57 pm
I think the game will be close.  This isn't a vintage Florida team to begin with.  Their front line was already busted up going into last weekend, and then Gorjok Gak suffered a concussion in the loss to Ole Miss.  Mike White said his squad is down to six scholarship players available for practice. 

Florida is 4-1 in SEC play, but they've had a fairly favorable conference schedule so far -- they won at Texas A&M with the Aggies playing without three key starters and they essentially stole a win in the last few seconds at Missouri.  Their home wins have been against Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

I think we need to take it to rim! I do think we have an advantage with the bigs. I think pressing might be foolish.

Razorod

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 16, 2018, 02:12:57 pm

I agree, plus CMA and the Hogs are due against this team.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

swineology

Quote from: elksnort on January 16, 2018, 02:17:07 pm
I think we need to take it to rim! I do think we have an advantage with the bigs. I think pressing might be foolish.

That's exactly what Ole Miss did to them and won

HawgHeadCheese

I hope we don't press. Chiozza is the fastest guard in the SEC with the basketball

elksnort

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 16, 2018, 02:50:24 pm
I hope we don't press. Chiozza is the fastest guard in the SEC with the basketball
See, if we do press and it yields terrible results like many of us think it will, can you see why folks get frustrated with CMA?

cardsNhogs

Hope Trey Thompson can stay with him when they set that ball pick.

King Kong

I hate that kid. I expect him to be the difference again.

And I only hate him because he isn't on our team. Fun player to watch

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: zulookn on January 16, 2018, 02:03:52 pm
I was Ho-Hum about your post but happy to give you your first smite.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

niels_boar

January 16, 2018, 06:30:31 pm #16 Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:44:49 pm by niels_boar
According to Pomeroy, UF has played the #19 SOS and Arkansas the #18 SOS.  Both teams are 12-5 and have similar efficiencies on both sides of the ball.  On the season offensive points per possession 1.141 (UF) to 1.147 (Hogs) and defensive ppp 1.014 (UF) to 1.011 (Hogs).  Yeah, it's pretty silly to go to 3 decimal places, but that's how similar the teams have been against equivalent schedules.

It's a screwy matchup that looks dead even on paper. It's amazing how little separation there is in almost every category, especially on defense.  The primary difference between the teams is on O where Arkansas is solidly better inside but takes fewer treys.  Both squads have almost identical trey percentages, but UF takes and makes more.  Arkansas gets to the line more often but makes fewer FTs due to our poor conversion rate.  On D Arkansas allows a lower trey percentage but gives up slightly more treys because opponents take more treys.  The situation is inverse inside.

Both teams are among the nation's best at avoiding TOs and have had trouble against opponents that handle well. UF has had trouble against teams that don't foul much and force low FG percentages at an elite level.  That's not us, though you never know what we are going to do on D. Likewise, Arkansas has struggled against defenses that cut off the interior and force a low 2FG%.  That's not typically UF.

If both teams bring their A-game, the numbers say that it should be a close shootout.  The worry here is that we haven't brought anything close to our A-game on O in the last two games.  Half-full would go with we are due to hit on all cylinders. If either team has a bad night from the field, the other could in theory run them out of the gym.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Chorizo Hogriguez

Letsroll1200

Considering the  pitiful performance against LSU, Arkansas has to get this game against Florida.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 16, 2018, 08:01:55 pm
Considering the  pitiful performance against LSU, Arkansas has to get this game against Florida.

Well it would certainly offset the loss and we are due.    Maybe winning vs Mizzou will get us past the slump.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 16, 2018, 08:06:11 pm
Well it would certainly offset the loss and we are due.    Maybe winning vs Mizzou will get us past the slump.

Inexcusable to lose that LSU game. A win against Florida will help tge resume.

Dropkick

Florida is a 6.5 point favorite.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: Dropkick on January 16, 2018, 09:22:21 pm
Florida is a 6.5 point favorite.

...and will probably cover. Not sure anyone on our team can stay with Chiozza. Hope I am wrong!

PORKULATOR

We're beating those Swamp lizards by 12.... Book it
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

ADavisTheGOAT

Chiozza is going to break apart our press worse than Waters did... Florida by 30. Book it.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

riccoar

Couple key stats:

Free Throw Percentage
Florida      FT%   .764
Arkansas   FT%   .665

3-Point Attempts  &  Made
Florida       421          164
Arkansas    343          132

Gotta outperform Florida in these two areas.  Free Throw's made and 3-Pointers.  Without that, it will take a miracle.

Hollywood_HOGan

Gaff should be the first, second, and third option in this game.

Plus......STOP TRAPPING EVERY SECOND PASS!!!! JUST STOP!!!!!

bighog2255

I don't give us much of a chance tonight. A few reasons:

1) Chiozza - Like Waters from LSU, we have nobody that can stay in front of him. When we can't effectively pressure the other team's PG, we don't get turnovers. When our pressure/traps are beaten, someone is inevitably wide open. Expect Florida to spread us out and get open shots galore.

2) Florida coming off a loss.

3) We haven't won in Florida since 1995! MA is 1-8 against Florida.

Hoping for the best, but expect a loss.

Gators 81
Hogs 68

Roy Bacon

Quote from: niels_boar on January 16, 2018, 06:30:31 pm
It's a screwy matchup that looks dead even on paper. It's amazing how little separation there is in almost every category.                       

How about the coaching matchup ? who has the edge there ?
Just say no to the forward facing Hog !

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Roy Bacon on January 17, 2018, 08:15:48 am
How about the coaching matchup ? who has the edge there ?
Coaching ties in with the matchups man
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 17, 2018, 07:36:52 am
I don't give us much of a chance tonight. A few reasons:

1) Chiozza - Like Waters from LSU, we have nobody that can stay in front of him. When we can't effectively pressure the other team's PG, we don't get turnovers. When our pressure/traps are beaten, someone is inevitably wide open. Expect Florida to spread us out and get open shots galore.

2) Florida coming off a loss.

3) We haven't won in Florida since 1995! MA is 1-8 against Florida.

Hoping for the best, but expect a loss.

Gators 81
Hogs 68

Their center is out.  Attack and make sure Gafford is involved and try and get Stone in foul trouble. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: niels_boar on January 16, 2018, 06:30:31 pm
According to Pomeroy, UF has played the #19 SOS and Arkansas the #18 SOS.  Both teams are 12-5 and have similar efficiencies on both sides of the ball.  On the season offensive points per possession 1.141 (UF) to 1.147 (Hogs) and defensive ppp 1.014 (UF) to 1.011 (Hogs).  Yeah, it's pretty silly to go to 3 decimal places, but that's how similar the teams have been against equivalent schedules.

It's a screwy matchup that looks dead even on paper. It's amazing how little separation there is in almost every category, especially on defense.  The primary difference between the teams is on O where Arkansas is solidly better inside but takes fewer treys.  Both squads have almost identical trey percentages, but UF takes and makes more.  Arkansas gets to the line more often but makes fewer FTs due to our poor conversion rate.  On D Arkansas allows a lower trey percentage but gives up slightly more treys because opponents take more treys.  The situation is inverse inside.

Both teams are among the nation's best at avoiding TOs and have had trouble against opponents that handle well. UF has had trouble against teams that don't foul much and force low FG percentages at an elite level.  That's not us, though you never know what we are going to do on D. Likewise, Arkansas has struggled against defenses that cut off the interior and force a low 2FG%.  That's not typically UF.

If both teams bring their A-game, the numbers say that it should be a close shootout.  The worry here is that we haven't brought anything close to our A-game on O in the last two games.  Half-full would go with we are due to hit on all cylinders. If either team has a bad night from the field, the other could in theory run them out of the gym.
THAT was worth reading.  Thanks!

Razorod

When niels writes, people read (or at least they should).
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Queen Hog

Every team has an off game once in a while.  I am hoping it's Florida's time.  Go HOGS!!! 
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

Kenny Dowell Loggains

I've got many reasons why we won't win @ FL tonight.  22 to be exact.  The 22 straight we've lost in Gainesville since 1995.

MA is 1-8 vs. FL.

1-9 after tonight.

FL has surpassed AR as a better program.  When you've been irrelevant for so long, FL took advantage of all our misses and became the go to #2 team in the SEC.  FL is now what Arkansas used to be.

PonderinHog

Screw it!   I'm feeling lucky!  Streak ends at 22!

PORKULATOR

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 17, 2018, 02:47:01 pm
Screw it!   I'm feeling lucky!  Streak ends at 22!
I'm plus 1ing this because I too am so tired of Florida (losing 2fla) and boasted yesterday that we'd win by 12.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: gguillo on January 17, 2018, 02:43:29 pm
I've got many reasons why we won't win @ FL tonight.  22 to be exact.  The 22 straight we've lost in Gainesville since 1995.

MA is 1-8 vs. FL.

1-9 after tonight.

FL has surpassed AR as a better program.  When you've been irrelevant for so long, FL took advantage of all our misses and became the go to #2 team in the SEC.  FL is now what Arkansas used to be.
Florida has always been top notch since the Noah days and far before that

PORKULATOR

I remember the Meathook and Declerq(however ysi) as the start to their success. There was a PG that was good too.
Too lazy to look em up though. 😅😃🤣

Cmheinley

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 16, 2018, 08:01:55 pm

That game really hurt. They've since dropped two at home. No reason we should have lost to that team.

Razorback_Mack

January 17, 2018, 05:17:00 pm #40 Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:54:22 pm by Razorback_Mack
Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on January 16, 2018, 10:37:48 pm
Chiozza is going to break apart our press worse than Waters did... Florida by 30. Book it.
Won't happen. I'd love to book it.