Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking at this board without being aware of the outcome

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, January 14, 2018, 11:57:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

January 14, 2018, 11:57:13 am Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:14:03 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
You would swear we lost to Missouri yesterday.

We go through this exact same song and dance each year with the added punch of new posters who have so much venom for the present coach (Mike, Heath etc) who's only purpose is to pile on with pitchforks claiming NIT in hand not realizing we have nearly the exact same record the previous year and end up with 28-30 wins total at seasons end.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hobhog

Maybe. But people also always criticize posters for only posting after losses or wins.. I think too many people have seen this movie before with MA teams- up and down seasons with inexplicable performances taking the air out of seasons. Count me as one of them that expects better from our program and isnt going to get all giddy after a sloppy game we were fortunate to win at home.

MA has us squarely in the bottom third of the conference, fighting to get back in the hunt with a road game coming against UF.

Sorry, but I'm still too pissed at the last few games to forgive and forget. Again.

mckinneyhog5

You hit the nail on the head but missed the point..It's the same old song and dance every year but with the same end of year results. After 7 years we don't appear to be moving forward. I would also like to add that I've NEVER criticized Mike but this is getting old.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Atlhogfan1

Yes do we go through it every year on the court and in the forum.  "New" posters who are Anderson fan boys vs those who agitate them.  You somehow only acknowledge one "side". 

28-30 wins? ;D

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 14, 2018, 11:57:13 am

We go through this exact same song and dance each year with the added punch of new posters who have so much venom for the present coach (Mike, Heath etc) who's only purpose is to pile on with pitchforks claiming NIT in hand not realizing we have nearly the exact same record the previous year and end up with 28-30 wins total at seasons end.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

3kgthog

If we win after blowing a huge lead at home while still generally looking like crap, excuse me if I don't act like we just won it all. I can't help I was born at a time when Arkansas basketball was the tippy top. We were getting McDonald's AAs. We were beating folks like a drum and striking fear into the hearts of opponents.

It can be done again. The program now has more tools at its disposal than Eddie or Nolan could've ever dreamed of. We're underachieving right now and that'll never be acceptable to me.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 14, 2018, 12:44:53 pm
If we win after blowing a huge lead at home while still generally looking like crap, excuse me if I don't act like we just won it all. I can't help I was born at a time when Arkansas basketball was the tippy top. We were getting McDonald's AAs. We were beating folks like a drum and striking fear into the hearts of opponents.

It can be done again. The program now has more tools at its disposal than Eddie or Nolan could've ever dreamed of. We're underachieving right now and that'll never be acceptable to me.

28-30 wins a year is underachieving? ;)
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

donbro

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 14, 2018, 12:19:38 pm
You hit the nail on the head but missed the point..It's the same old song and dance every year but with the same end of year results. After 7 years we don't appear to be moving forward. I would also like to add that I've NEVER criticized Mike but this is getting old.
Sounds like criticism to me

alohawg

If you think this is bad, imagine if they didn't comeback late yesterday. The truth is something has happened since the big Tenn win, what exactly is debatable. I know one thing for sure, this doesn't look anything like a team poised to turn it around and win 28-30 this season, and that's too bad on an experienced senior laden squad.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Breems

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 14, 2018, 12:39:10 pm
You somehow only acknowledge one "side". 

That's because the hostility and extremism of the other "side" is negligible. There are a few that stir up crap or defend Anderson to their last breath, but it's nothing compared to the droves of new posters after losses that make it impossible to have a conversation other than "we're the worst team ever, fire everyone."
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Knot2brite

The fact that we go through this every year is frustrating. We play like gang busters during the pre conference and play like we lost our sunshine at the beginning of each SEC season and then level off...how about we take that pre conference intensity and let it roll over into the SEC season...but no..the one constant in this scenario is obvious ....you figure out what it is
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Adam Stokes

January 14, 2018, 01:08:43 pm #10 Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:26:26 pm by Adam Stokes
It's likely going to get worse before it gets better, too. Four out of our next five conference games are on the road. Fortunately 5 out of the 7 after that are at home, but it may get ugly before it gets better.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Anderson has never gotten 28 wins at Arkansas and only once in his 17 yr career.

Fan701

Quote from: Karma on January 14, 2018, 01:18:10 pm
Anderson has never gotten 28 wins at Arkansas and only once in his 17 yr career.
He did get 27 in 2014-15, then 26 last year.  Kinda close, I guess.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: alohawg on January 14, 2018, 01:14:42 pm
12-9 soon sounds not only possible, but likely.
Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 14, 2018, 01:08:43 pm
It's like going to get worse before it gets better, too. Four out of our next five conference games are on the road. Fortunately 5 out of the 7 after that are at home, but it may get ugly before it gets better.

We need to win 3 of the next 6.  4 would put us in good shape.  Then get SC and Vandy at home.

The_Bionic_Pig

The past 3-4 yrs it's been pretty much Kentucky vs Florida/Arkansas in the SEC Championship game.

I'm not arguing that we hoped to be a top 25 stable program but we're not this horrible team some are saying in hopes of firing a coach with 139–79 (.638) SEC record.

Be realistic Arkansas is no longer viewed in company with today's blue-bloods so landing multiple McDonald's AA from Memphis is not going to happen.   South Carolina made the Final Four and yet have you seen their Recruiting 2018 class.

It's quite obvious the team that beat Oklahoma on a nuetral hasn't transferred or graduated....The bench as a whole the past 5 games has contributed jack-squat!

Beard is the only guard NOT TAKING I'll advised shots.  Barford has a Kareem Reid thing going on charging the lane and hoping for a foul call (Kentucky 2012)

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Nosboar Accubond

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: donbro on January 14, 2018, 01:07:10 pm
Sounds like criticism to me
Yep, after 7 years and not moving forward. At some point even the die hards begin to question the state of the program.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

donbro

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 14, 2018, 02:22:02 pm
Yep, after 7 years and not moving forward. At some point even the die hards begin to question the state of the program.
Where is the program headed

razorpimp

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 14, 2018, 01:34:45 pm
The past 3-4 yrs it's been pretty much Kentucky vs Florida/Arkansas in the SEC Championship game.

I'm not arguing that we hoped to be a top 25 stable program but we're not this horrible team some are saying in hopes of firing a coach with 139–79 (.638) SEC record.

Be realistic Arkansas is no longer viewed in company with today's blue-bloods so landing multiple McDonald's AA from Memphis is not going to happen.   South Carolina made the Final Four and yet have you seen their Recruiting 2018 class.

It's quite obvious the team that beat Oklahoma on a nuetral hasn't transferred or graduated....The bench as a whole the past 5 games has contributed jack-squat!

Beard is the only guard NOT TAKING I'll advised shots.  Barford has a Kareem Reid thing going on charging the lane and hoping for a foul call (Kentucky 2012)

Mikes sec record is not 139-79...it is 62-49 which is a worse winning percentage than his overall record

Randohoggie

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 14, 2018, 12:19:38 pm

Look at the bigger picture.  We are moving forward, as this is likely to be our 3rd year out of 4 in the NCAA Tournament.  The first step to being "back" is to become a consistent tournament team.  We are close to that if not there already.  Further, we're not getting bounced in the first round when we get there.  Each of the last two times, we got bounced by North Carolina in close games.  We were easily a Sweet 16 level team in both years.

Once you get to the point of regularly making the tournament, you can't just say, ok, now we have to got farther every year.  That's not realistic.  Too much depends on your draw.

But if you look at the last 4 years (including this one), we have moved forward.  We are now a team that you can expect to be in the tournament.   Of course, it could all fall apart this year, and if it does, I would agree that would be a huge step back.

ParkerSchnabel

I have been reading this forum lately. I just want to say the following:

Mike Anderson runs a motion offense. Yes you can run sets out of a motion offense. For example the inbound play the team runs when its there. The beauty of the motion offense is that it can be unpredictable. As a coach Mike does an excellent job of getting his teams to play TEAM basketball. That is his strength. It seems like there are many here who want to go back to Stan Heath ball. Folks that is horrible horrible basketball. You can also call it Sutton ball if you prefer. Just as bad.

My biggest complaint with Mike's teams is that every year at the start of conference play his teams seem almost surprised at how physical play is in the paint. That is because SEC teams are all recruiting football type guys to play basketball and I hate it. The officiating leans toward these maulers. We reach in at mid court and its a foul. They climb all over our backs to get an offensive board while doing everything but knock us down and the refs let it go.

Having said that Arkansas still finished second overall in last years tournament. We are clearly at a disadvantage bc of our style of ball. Yet we remain a top team in the conference. That's coaching folks.

Maybe Mike needs to borrow a few tight ends and some linebackers from the football team every year just before conference play and have them push and shove and hack the crap out of our guys on the way to the basket like they allow Miss St to do to us to steal a win the other day. Then maybe we will be tough sooner.

Having said that I firmly believe that Mike will turn this season around and be in the NCAA this year. He may even make a deep run. Let Mike be Mike and just enjoy the ride. If we stop settling for jump shots and move the basketball and our feet like we did earlier in the year, instead of letting the ref's and the maulers in this conference discourage us into playing hero ball. We will be great.

By the way do I have to type all of this stuff every single time I post here ?

RagingHawgOn

Haven't read this whole thread but will say....

Accepting what MA puts on the court, accepting his lack of coaching - especially in-game - and accepting the idea we will lose a few/win a few/end up bounced in the second round IF we make the tourney is phucking nauseating.

I'm sick of this crap.

Randohoggie

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on January 14, 2018, 05:40:27 pm
Haven't read this whole thread but will say....

Accepting what MA puts on the court, accepting his lack of coaching - especially in-game - and accepting the idea we will lose a few/win a few/end up bounced in the second round IF we make the tourney is phucking nauseating.

I'm sick of this crap.

No one is making you watch.  You don't seem to understand it anyway.

Slater

The same thing, they hate Mike for reasons way beyond basketball, will never change
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

3of5-2

Quote from: alohawg on January 14, 2018, 01:08:00 pm
If you think this is bad, imagine if they didn't comeback late yesterday. The truth is something has happened since the big Tenn win, what exactly is debatable. I know one thing for sure, this doesn't look anything like a team poised to turn it around and win 28-30 this season, and that's too bad on an experienced senior laden squad.
We are 2-3 in conference, and we were closer to being 0-5, than being 4-1. It is what is, and I hope to get into the NCAAT, but I'm not expecting a deep run with this senior laden team. Next year looks like another "rebuilding" year, which usually means 2 or 3 more years of just getting by. We should start preparing for who will get us to the next level of success.

Rbill

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 14, 2018, 12:44:53 pm
If we win after blowing a huge lead at home while still generally looking like crap, excuse me if I don't act like we just won it all.

This is exactly right. We did not look good for most of the game. We looked really bad blowing that lead for all the same reasons people have been complaining about. It's perfectly fair to think bigger picture for the rest of the season and be concerned with the issues we saw on the court for the sake of trying to fix our team. It's okay to be happy we won but also concerned about our flaws and want to talk about them.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

hobhog

Quote from: Slater on January 14, 2018, 08:19:10 pm
The same thing, they hate Mike for reasons way beyond basketball, will never change

Complete crap.....

farfromgroovins

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 14, 2018, 05:30:59 pm
Having said that I firmly believe that Mike will turn this season around and be in the NCAA this year. He may even make a deep run. Let Mike be Mike and just enjoy the ride. If we stop settling for jump shots and move the basketball and our feet like we did earlier in the year, instead of letting the ref's and the maulers in this conference discourage us into playing hero ball. We will be great.

By the way do I have to type all of this stuff every single time I post here ?

Post #2 in this thread explains a lot of the frustrations. Why are we into CMA's 7th season with a talented experienced team and need to turn things around at this point? We should be consistent by now. If we "let Mike be Mike" and "enjoy the ride" then, if history is an indicator, it will be the same roller coaster ride. I'm not expecting a win every game but the inconsistency is mind boggling.

That is why you have to type all that stuff every time you post here.

razorpimp

How many votes did Andersons Hogs get this week in the top 25 poll??

Remember when this was a legitimate question?  Wow this team has collapsed

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: farfromgroovins on January 15, 2018, 10:19:15 am
Post #2 in this thread explains a lot of the frustrations. Why are we into CMA's 7th season with a talented experienced team and need to turn things around at this point? We should be consistent by now. If we "let Mike be Mike" and "enjoy the ride" then, if history is an indicator, it will be the same roller coaster ride. I'm not expecting a win every game but the inconsistency is mind boggling.

That is why you have to type all that stuff every time you post here.

As to the first part. I believe I covered that in starting SEC play. Its my biggest complaint with Mike. The guys should be ready for how physical it is in the paint. But every year they act surprised. I don't like it. But then I'm one of those guys who hates Lebron James. I like TRUE basketball players like Michael Jordan. Not football players who walk , carry and shove everyone down on their way to the basket. And some how are considered great. The sport has changed since him. Guys spend more time in the weight room than they do the gym. And it makes for sloppy basketball.

As to me having to type all that stuff. I'm referring to all of the verification stuff. Every post ?

hobhog

Quote from: razorpimp on January 15, 2018, 12:04:52 pm
How many votes did Andersons Hogs get this week in the top 25 poll??

Remember when this was a legitimate question?  Wow this team has collapsed

It's only been a legit question in 2 of MAs 7 seasons. Neither for very long.....

riccoar

AirWarren

This league is highly competitive this year. No easy wins.

AirWarren