Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I’m not throwing anyone under the bus

Started by Piggfoot, November 18, 2017, 04:23:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwarrior

Quote from: Pig_Lebowski on November 18, 2017, 06:23:19 pm
With the exception of one, maybe two, no one would start at another SEC school.

Now you just need to stop that!  Take a look at every school in the SEC and other than Bama, Auburn, LSU, FL, and UGA; we have more 5 and 4* players combined!  So how would only 2 start for any other school in the SEC? 

Hogwarrior

Quote from: Athog on November 18, 2017, 05:45:01 pm
It is always the players!!

Because people like Bo Mattingly has conditioned so many people by repeating that lie for so many years, they really believe it!

cjack

It's crazy that, as bad as this coach is, he still has his supporters and people that put this mess on the players.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Hogwarrior

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 18, 2017, 06:35:45 pm
Ain't it funny how "stars matter" until it means the coaching staff is doing a terrible job! Kids that are rated 4* and offered by MANY SEC schools are the problem and not the coach that continues to try to run the football on 1st down against an 8 man front.

It is a State Championship QB that has all of 20 plays on the ENTIRE season that failed and not the STUPID coach that put him in an ABSOLUTE no win situation.

GOD! I literally HATE some of you people!!!!!

You just NAILED it!  UA has more 5 and 4 star players combined than only 6 other teams in the SEC!  I had to add Tenner because they nudged us out, so how is this a 4-7 team?  We have more combined than the team that spotted us 14 and just beat us!  These people either need to stick to the star ratings or admit we have had a serious development and coaching problem at UA!  A lot of folks are going to be eating crow next season when all these poor FB players go off for 8 wins minimum next season!

Hogwarrior

Quote from: IronHog on November 18, 2017, 07:40:46 pm

It's not 1975

Most scholarships are awarded based on physical traits and camp performances....not beating up on 3a teams.

Story is everything a D1 coach wants except a big arm.

You are absolutely correct!  It's not 1975!  That is why a kid from a 3a school playing against 3a talent, 175 lb linemen who run 6.5 40s could have NEVER been a SEC QB!  Yes, they get looks from the camps, but GOOD coaches don't sign kids based on what they did at camps!  Storey was not, is not, and would have never been a SEC caliber QB!  Do you realize 3a QBs in Arkansas are playing against defenses that usually don't have 1 D1 and maybe 2 lower level college players on the field if we are generous?  Do you realize a 3a defensive coach is probably the JR high basketball or Sr high baseball coach?  So tell me how this young man could have been prepared to compete against schools who have only FB coaches from higher classifications in the state and let's not mention the ones from FL, GA, LA, TX, and Cali!  Take off the Hog colored homer glasses!  He got that star rating from his numbers and throwing the ball around in shorts at camps.  I love our Arkansas kids but that's  just reality!  These 3a kids aren't close to SEC level talent and especially at the QB position!  I'm not sure Bohanon is SEC level but we will see.  I was in Memphis 3 weeks ago at a private school JV FB game and most of those kids were in the 10th grade.  I was at a 3a playoff game last night and guess which group of players were CLEARLY better! 

pigmania

Quote from: ManBeast on November 18, 2017, 04:41:35 pm
I wonder, did you ever watch Storey play in high school? I did. He was pretty darn good. Most every game he played in he was far and away the best player on the field. I will grant you that he played in Arkansas 3A. He rarely saw a FCS quality opponent. That does not make him a slouch. He was very accurate. He came from a system that was all about tempo and timing.

Ty Storey was a much coveted QB. Even Nick Saban recruited him. He's not recruiting slouches. He felt that Storey could compete for the position at Alabama. Ty Storey won every QB competition he went to. I know, I know, they aren't playing against live defenses.

Ty Storey has been ruined at the U of A. They have destroyed his throwing motion. He has never been placed in a position that he could have success. He should never have gone to the U of A, but it wasn't because he wasn't talented. He should have gone to a system that played a style of offense that he was used to playing.
Sounds to me like TS's high school coach should be coaching at a P5 school.

grayhawg

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 18, 2017, 08:19:26 pm
You are absolutely correct!  It's not 1975!  That is why a kid from a 3a school playing against 3a talent, 175 lb linemen who run 6.5 40s could have NEVER been a SEC QB!  Yes, they get looks from the camps, but GOOD coaches don't sign kids based on what they did at camps!  Storey was not, is not, and would have never been a SEC caliber QB!  Do you realize 3a QBs in Arkansas are playing against defenses that usually don't have 1 D1 and maybe 2 lower level college players on the field if we are generous?  Do you realize a 3a defensive coach is probably the JR high basketball or Sr high baseball coach?  So tell me how this young man could have been prepared to compete against schools who have only FB coaches from higher classifications in the state and let's not mention the ones from FL, GA, LA, TX, and Cali!  Take off the Hog colored homer glasses!  He got that star rating from his numbers and throwing the ball around in shorts at camps.  I love our Arkansas kids but that's  just reality!  These 3a kids aren't close to SEC level talent and especially at the QB position!  I'm not sure Bohanon is SEC level but we will see.  I was in Memphis 3 weeks ago at a private school JV FB game and most of those kids were in the 10th grade.  I was at a 3a playoff game last night and guess which group of players were CLEARLY better! 
Did you ever watch Storey play, or are you just spitballing?

cjack

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 18, 2017, 08:19:26 pm
You are absolutely correct!  It’s not 1975!  That is why a kid from a 3a school playing against 3a talent, 175 lb linemen who run 6.5 40s could have NEVER been a SEC QB!  Yes, they get looks from the camps, but GOOD coaches don’t sign kids based on what they did at camps!  Storey was not, is not, and would have never been a SEC caliber QB!  Do you realize 3a QBs in Arkansas are playing against defenses that usually don’t have 1 D1 and maybe 2 lower level college players on the field if we are generous?  Do you realize a 3a defensive coach is probably the JR high basketball or Sr high baseball coach?  So tell me how this young man could have been prepared to compete against schools who have only FB coaches from higher classifications in the state and let’s not mention the ones from FL, GA, LA, TX, and Cali!  Take off the Hog colored homer glasses!  He got that star rating from his numbers and throwing the ball around in shorts at camps.  I love our Arkansas kids but that’s  just reality!  These 3a kids aren’t close to SEC level talent and especially at the QB position!  I’m not sure Bohanon is SEC level but we will see.  I was in Memphis 3 weeks ago at a private school JV FB game and most of those kids were in the 10th grade.  I was at a 3a playoff game last night and guess which group of players were CLEARLY better! 

So do all the 5* players at Alabama, LSU, and wherever else all come from huge school districts?  Is the key to being an SEC level athlete to live in a big town?  Big graduating classes make better football players?
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: cjack on November 18, 2017, 09:04:11 pm
So do all the 5* players at Alabama, LSU, and wherever else all come from huge school districts?  Is the key to being an SEC level athlete to live in a big town?  Big graduating classes make better football players?

I think that correlates kinda like recruiting rankings do if you know what I mean.  Yes bigger school districts are more likely to produce more players but per capita athletics ability should be about even.  Coaching makes a difference as does competition.  There is no reason a small school can't produce D1 talent on occasion and from Charleston, Storey was that occasional player.

cjack

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 18, 2017, 09:11:34 pm
I think that correlates kinda like recruiting rankings do if you know what I mean.  Yes bigger school districts are more likely to produce more players but per capita athletics ability should be about even.  Coaching makes a difference as does competition.  There is no reason a small school can't produce D1 talent on occasion and from Charleston, Storey was that occasional player.

Absolutely correct, but I took the reply I quoted to mean he couldn't be good because he's from a small school.  Athletes are born wherever they are born.  Big schools with better coaches and competition can make you better.   A small school can't take away and a big school can't produce the God given ability elite athletes are born with.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Hogwarrior

Quote from: grayhawg on November 18, 2017, 08:38:16 pm
Did you ever watch Storey play, or are you just spitballing?

You people amaze me!  No I've not seen him play, no need to.  He came from a 3a school in Arkansas!  Please explain to me how he could have possibly been a SEC level QB.  There are ZERO QBs that came from 3a schools playing at any college in the entire state!  Why?  Although they may have raw talent, it is impossible for them to have the football knowledge QBs from larger schools have. No matter, he was a recruiting miss and from the looks of things his scholarship will be available next season.

Piggfoot

If Storey was that occasional player from a small school then why did he not rise to the top. Players from small schools lack the seasoning acquired by playing against better competition. Their apparent good performance is accomplished often times against defenses filled with tenth or eleventh graders maybe even ninth graders. A precocious  player like Storey ( pictures I saw of him were of a young man which needed to shave daily ) he peaked some time in HS. Habits developed early in life may take years to overcome.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

cjack

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 19, 2017, 06:50:29 am
You people amaze me!  No I've not seen him play, no need to.  He came from a 3a school in Arkansas!  Please explain to me how he could have possibly been a SEC level QB.  There are ZERO QBs that came from 3a schools playing at any college in the entire state!  Why?  Although they may have raw talent, it is impossible for them to have the football knowledge QBs from larger schools have. No matter, he was a recruiting miss and from the looks of things his scholarship will be available next season.

So your answer is yes. Elite quarterbacks have to come from big schools?
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 19, 2017, 12:33:26 pm
If Storey was that occasional player from a small school then why did he not rise to the top. Players from small schools lack the seasoning acquired by playing against better competition. Their apparent good performance is accomplished often times against defenses filled with tenth or eleventh graders maybe even ninth graders. A precocious  player like Storey ( pictures I saw of him were of a young man which needed to shave daily ) he peaked some time in HS. Habits developed early in life may take years to overcome.

Being recruited to a d1 school doesn't assure success on the field no matter what size school you come from. 

hogginbama

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 18, 2017, 07:43:11 pm
No, I'm telling you the kid had only 2 D1 offers coming out of HS!  I don't even think he was a 3* but I'm sure he only had 2 D1 offers!  That speaks for itself when we start talking about identifying and developing talent!  Did you know Mullen changed his entire throwing motion and delivery point?  Also, do you realize, our roster has more 5 and 4 star athletes combined than Miss St.?  Dude, it's not a talent deficit, it's every day coaching!  I don't know what is so hard for people to understand!  I'll try it this way:

Boss A is anal and is a stickler for detail.  Also requires 100% every day of ALL employees, BUT, as boss A succeeds, he reward ALL of his employees equally but he ensures he gives his best employees the hardest assignments because he knows they can accomplish the assignment and raise the productivity of the department.

Boss B is laid back and has a personal relationship with most of his employees.  After mistakes he pat them on the back and tell em it will be all right, just try harder next time.  BUT, he never give his better employees an opportunity at high profile jobs because he is attempting to raise the profile of the employees he like the most.  Boss A doesn't succeed and therefore isn't given any rewards to share with employees.

Who would you rather work for?

You do realize a lot of those 4-5* players are at the same positions as we develop some depth and are FR, RS-FS, & SO? That means they are inexperienced and will make mistakes with the learning curve and also, can't all be on the field at the same time. Also, how many of those 4-5* players are currently injured and have been? That also makes it hard to get them on the field. Being on the roster and on the field are two different animals.

The number of young 4-5* players shows an improvement in recruiting the last couple of years, which means a stable base has been set by this staff for the next group. I honestly feel that is what CBB was hired for....come in, get the behind the scenes stuff squared away, build a solid base and then hand it to the next guy to take to the next level. It is about the long-term, big picture for some of us, not a flash-in-the-pan every few years.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

ManBeast

You people amaze me!  No I’ve not seen him play, no need to.  He came from a 3a school in Arkansas!  Please explain to me how he could have possibly been a SEC level QB.  There are ZERO QBs that came from 3a schools playing at any college in the entire state!  Why?  Although they may have raw talent, it is impossible for them to have the football knowledge QBs from larger schools have. No matter, he was a recruiting miss and from the looks of things his scholarship will be available next season.

Do you remember Colt McCoy at Texas? I do believe the young man is still on an NFL Roster:

McCoy was born in Hobbs, New Mexico.[18] He is the eldest of three children born to Steven Brad McCoy and Debra Kay (Woodruff) McCoy. He attended Jim Ned High School in Tuscola, Texas,[19] population 714,[18] where he was coached in football by his father, Brad McCoy. He achieved several distinctions as a high school player, including two-time Associated Press 2A Offensive MVP and First-team All-state selection.[19] Over his career, he completed 536-of-849 passes (63.1%) for 9,344 yards[20] and 116 TDs.[19] He ranks as the all-time leading passer in Texas Division 2A high school history and is fourth overall in Texas high school history.[21] McCoy also served as Jim Ned High School's punter as a junior and senior.[22] During his sophomore year, McCoy was also playing free safety. However, after he suffered a concussion while tackling 215-pound Bangs High School running back Jacoby Jones (not to be confused with the Baltimore Ravens wide receiver of the same name), his father decided not to let him play defense anymore. At the time Jim Ned was 8–0, but as McCoy missed the next two games due to the concussion, Jim Ned's season unraveled.[23] McCoy also played in the 2003 Texas 2A State Championship against the San Augustine Wolves. Jim Ned lost 28–7.

31to6

I am sorry but the assertion that you can't be a top caliber QB if you want to a small high school is just completely wrong.

A few NFL QB's from small classification high schools I was easily able to find from the starting rosters. I stopped about halfway through because I think this makes my point:
Scott Tolzien - 3A
Jay Cutler - 3A
Kirk Cousins - 4A
Carson Wentz - 3A
Tom Savage - 4A
Russell Wilson - VISAA 1 (smallest classification for private schools)

Classification has nothing to do with talent or potential.

It may skew *evaluation* (big fish, little pond) but there are plenty of NFL players born in little towns that attend little schools before someone finds them.

That is the job of the coach: to find raw talent, wherever it is, and develop it