Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

O Canada

Started by jbcarol, December 22, 2016, 01:05:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Canada, who was tabbed as LSU's offensive coordinator eight days ago, has been recruiting ...

QuoteO: He's been texting, involved in recruitment of our players and juniors coming back. He's been fully involved in Pitt's preparation, but we have been in contact regarding recruiting. It's been slow, but sure. There's some guys really receptive, guys who made up their mind.

We want them to get them to know Matt Canada. How he wants to use them, types of plays. They're excited about his resume'.

He brings some juice to the staff. He brings the juice. He's ready to go. Has a vision of building a championship program.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/821004081237934084

QuoteMatt Canada's most accomplished pro-style quarterback can be found working as an accountant at a public accounting firm in Denver.

His best dual-threat QB can be found in DeKalb, Illinois, working in the industrial roof sales business.

If you want to know about LSU's new offensive coordinator, you talk to these guys.

At least they are not sitting in parish prison.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/840686886058364928

QuoteBATON ROUGE, La. — When Ed Orgeron hired Matt Canada to be his offensive coordinator, he knew he was getting someone with strong football knowledge and a love of recruiting. What he didn't realize is that he and his new assistant would be like two peas in a pod.

On the first day of LSU's spring drills, the laws of science seemed to be broken as another human being managed to match, if not exceed, Orgeron's renowned levels of enthusiasm.

"This is a full-speed drill!" Canada hollered at a backup player as the Tigers ran an up-tempo drill. "Full-speed! You've gotta run if you want to make it on the field!"

Putting his words into action, Canada later high-tailed it as the offense changed practice fields, racing quarterback Danny Etling. The race was never completed, though, as Canada had to abort when the speed of their encounter blew the wide-brim hat off the top of his head.

Needless to say, Orgeron is quite pleased...

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger 3h3 hours ago

How will all of the shifting and motions help Etling and the #LSU offense?

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/841768973632983043

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/841769884736491520

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/847870807296626688

QuoteDanny Etling calls it his "pitcher's mound," and he wants it pointed at his target.

Matt Canada is helping him aim.

"He's huge on fundamentals," said Etling, LSU's presumed starting quarterback for 2017.

Sure, LSU's new offensive coordinator is busy installing his scheme this spring, but he's also focused on improving those little things that you hear coaches preach about so often: footwork, helmet alignment, shoulder angle, pad level.

In Etling's case, Canada is concentrating on developing better footwork and shoulder alignment, the quarterback said.

"Making sure that I'm getting my shoulder at my target and making sure I'm setting my pitcher's mound at the target," he said. "We're going to start with that and start with the base things. I think he's probably got some more things, just hasn't told me yet."

As LSU heads into its third scrimmage in Tiger Stadium this spring, the quarterbacks have been busy. Between improving fundamentals and learning Xs and Os, it's been a challenge.

The base of Canada's system is mostly in. He'll now layer plays on top of it and seek how best to use LSU's talent. The Tigers are in the midst of searching for an identity, Etling said.

"Now we're starting to figure out what our identity is going to be and what we're good at and who we want to get the ball to and how we want to get them the ball," Etling said.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/854056116468273154

QuoteLSU has always had talent on offense. Head coach Ed Orgeron needed to find someone to maximize it, and he thinks he has his guy in Matt Canada, the Tigers' new offensive coordinator.

"His offense is kicking our defense's tail this spring," Orgeron told Andy Staples of Sports Illustrated. "It's causing problems."

Canada comes to Baton Rouge after one season at Pitt...

Orgeron made it clear to Canada early on that he wanted LSU's offense, which features plenty of dynamic weapons including returning breakout tailback Derrius Guice, to run similarly.

"Feed the ball to the playmakers in space and let them make plays," Orgeron said.

Part of the initial offensive success this spring can probably be attributed to a defense trying to replace a lot of future NFL players, including safety Jamal Adams and cornerback Tre'Davious White. But credit still has to go to Canada for spreading the ball around and keeping players engaged.

"I didn't put anybody in a box," he says, which should be music to the ears of Tigers supporters who thought the offense stagnated in the ladder part of Les Miles' tenure.

Canada's revamped offense will play in front of a crowd for the first time on Saturday in LSU's spring game...

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/856634558653112320

QuoteOne team, one heartbeat is LSU coach Ed Orgeron's mantra, and this spring he's done an impressive job of keeping that heartbeat at a calm, steady rate.

With quarterback Danny Etling having "minor" back surgery on Monday, Orgeron took the unusual step of releasing an official statement about the situation to make sure no one made a mountain out of a molehill.

"Danny had a minor back procedure this morning and everything came out alright," he said in a school release.

It's just that adversity has been LSU's thing this spring.

It started with the knowledge that outside linebacker/defensive end Arden Key wouldn't be around at all because of a leave of absence. It raised red flags and sounded alarm bells, but Orgeron got in front of it by publicly announcing Key's departure and assuring that he would return by the summer.

Key was back to the football facility as of late and is using his social media accounts, so whatever proverbial storm he was flying through looks to have passed without much fuss.

The Tigers may have even benefited from his absence.

Etling has not assured himself of retaining the starting job, as Orgeron made obvious following an underwhelming spring game performance. Whether his balky back was a factor isn't certain, but come August it won't matter. Either Etling or someone else will have to find a way to move the ball downfield.

"I'd like the quarterback to take over the game. I don't know if we have that quarterback yet," Orgeron said. "So if we don't have that quarterback, we have to have a quarterback who can manage the game, protections, short throws first, and not make mistakes."

A receiver will also have to step up to be the No. 2 option across from D.J. Chark. Throughout the spring Russell Gage, Drake Davis, Derrick Dillon, Stephen Sullivan and Dee Anderson all had moments where they looked capable. None of them hauled in a pass in first half of the spring game.

"Guys looked nervous tonight," Orgeron noted.

But again, he wasn't worried about it. He described the spring game as "Preseason Game No. 1" with three more scrimmages to come in August. He trusts things will get better offensively.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/864147794680045572

O on Etling: "When he's healthy, he's going to be hard to beat."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/865336673038725123

Quote"You're getting stretched east to west so much," Aranda said. "It forces you to have your eyes on the right spot. There will be a fly sweep and a lead block for that fly sweep. It's very difficult to have a blitzing, attacking mindset against something like that. It will be coming at you a bunch."

Back on his side of the ball, Aranda described Ed Orgeron's style of being present and hands on with the defense. He also commented on a new trend brewing in the coaches' offices.

"Coach O is different because he's always with us, so I can run something by him," Aranda said. "You can hear Coach O coming down the hallway. Every coach has a fridge in his office and we all have energy drinks."

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger 16h16 hours ago

Orgeron, on Finebaum, asked about previous interest in Kiffin as #LSU OC.

"He was my first candidate. I do believe he would have taken it."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/876891951865487362

Quote"It was humbling. We had a very good year. I was very fortunate, very blessed to be at Pitt. And great kids. That's always part of our profession that's hard. But to get it and think about coming to a place, in my opinion the best job in the country and [hear], 'Hey, we're very interested. We want to bring you down tomorrow and see where this is going to go.' It was an exciting moment, for sure."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/887069962887725056

QuoteJust picture it: Receiver D.J. Chark is in LSU's offensive meeting room with other players, all of them staring at offensive coordinator Matt Canada's talking head projected on a screen via Skype.

As Canada installs another new package to his system, behind him waves crash into the front yard of his North Carolina beach home.

"Modern-day technology," coach Ed Orgeron chuckled, "ya know?"

Players can meet — or Skype — with their position coaches and/or coordinators for an hour each week for an eight-week period during the summer. It's a NCAA rule that passed three years ago, giving coaches more summer access than they had ever had.

Players are allowed eight hours each week for weight training and conditioning as well. Coaches are not allowed to watch much of that, but they hear things. After all, it's all happening in the building where they work.

"The team looks like they're coming together," Orgeron said. "Older guys are teaching the young guys, becoming a team in the summer."

The summer's nearing its end.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/LSUBeatTweet/status/887000368617447424

QuoteHOOVER, Ala — If D.J. Chark lives through any more out-of-body experiences, he may develop a dependency problem.

For the LSU senior wide receiver from Alexandria Senior High, life has been a series of "wows" for the last year...

Orgeron, ever the recruiter, convinced Chark to stay for his senior season. He had to. Had Chark left, the leading returning receiver would have been senior Russell Gage with five catches for 62 yards.

"D.J. was really thinking about going to the NFL," Orgeron said at Media Days. "And I told him, 'There are bigger and better things, and if you come back, then I'll make sure that I put you in the best position possible to have success.'"

Still, this didn't hit Chark, who at 6-foot-3 and 187 pounds is one of the fastest players on the team, until he went to a receivers meeting a few weeks after the bowl. In addition to Dupre gone, so was senior Travin Dural, who is now a free agent with the New Orleans Saints.

"I looked around," he said. "I didn't see Travin or Malachi. And I'm like, 'Who's going to be the second receiver?' I was always the second and third receiver. I'm looking around and I say, 'Man, it's different here.'"

LSU and new offensive coordinator Matt Canada will be looking for that second and third receiver beginning July 31 when practice starts for the 2017 season and the opener against Brigham Young on Sept. 2 in Houston.

It still has not completely dawned on Chark that he is the man of LSU's receivers and one of the top players on the team. He had no idea he would be invited to SEC Media Days.

"I was talking to Coach O a while back, and I asked him when he was leaving for Media Days," Chark said. "And he was like, 'When are WE leaving for Media Days?' And I didn't catch it at first. I was like, 'Yeah, when are you leaving for Media Days?' And he said, 'No, when are WE leaving for Media Days?' And I said, 'Ohh! OK. So, when are WE leaving for Media Days?' So that's how I found out, and I was real excited. I was definitely surprised."

Chark's mother, Shirley Chark, got him a new suit along with suede shoes and striped socks for the occasion.

"This is a big honor," D.J. Chark said...

jbcarol

Insight from LSU beat reporter Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger):

QuoteHow has Matt Canada changed the LSU offense?
    The change is still on-going - and will be all season - but changes are certainly happening. He's, for the most part, eliminating the fullback position, creating an H-back by merging the tight ends and FBs. You'll see more multi-receiver formations, too, and a lot more jet sweeps and QB run-pass options. Basically, he's turning an old-school, I-formation scheme into a spread offense, with a variety of formations and a ton of pre-snap motions and shifts.

Is there reason to believe Danny Etling can lead this offense effectively?
    There are reasons, but they're not the ones fans want to hear. He's smart, experienced and accurate. Etling doesn't possess the intangibles of many highly ranked quarterbacks behind him on LSU's roster - arm strength, speed, elusiveness - but he's well ahead of many of them above the shoulders.

More than only on the field, how has Derrius Guice filled in for Leonard Fournette as a leader of the program?
    Guice spoke about this at length during SEC media days. He doesn't have a choice, he said, he's got to be a leader. Guice is more outgoing and likable than Fournette, a louder presence off the field and in the locker room.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/891050520823123972

Orgeron and OC Matt Canada on installation of LSU's offense.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger 3h3 hours ago

What happens when TEs & FBs merge? You get F-backs.

They block, catch, rush and align in Slot, TE, Wing, etc.

http://bit.ly/2v5TAEM  #LSU

Exploring LSU's new F-back position, a hybrid spot that Matt Canada calls "the freak of the offense."

jbcarol

Jimmy Watson‏ @JimmyWatson6 5h5 hours ago

Steve Spurrier: "You can have great players and still not win. You LSU fans know about that."

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger 10h10 hours ago

LSU LT KJ Malone out of his gold injury jersey, positive news for that thin O-line.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger 20h20 hours ago

In that: #LSU's offense had 36 different players score the last 3 years.

Canada's offense had 49.

http://bit.ly/2wSQWBI

Will play more games against the SEC-W this season

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger 4m4 minutes ago

This is the latest in our dive into Canada's offense. Call it "Chapter 7: Tempo." Links to others in here

http://bit.ly/2wjOfwZ  #LSU

jbcarol

The derisive cheer for when LSU crossed the Mercedes-Benz Superdome's 50-yard line never materialized

For all the offseason of talk about what Air Canada would look like — new offensive coordinator Matt Canada's new-age attack —

QuoteLSU followed an old-fashioned kind of recipe for its victory against BYU on Saturday night:

Leave tire tracks on them with the run. Play rock-ribbed defense. Overcome a handful of mistakes and the odd special teams disappointment and come away with a 27-0 win.

"We played LSU football," coach Ed Orgeron said. "We ran the ball well and stopped the run."

Frankly, Les Miles would have loved it...

Guess which team never crossed the 50? Guess which team didn't even crack the 100-yard total offense barrier? It wasn't LSU.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger 2h2 hours ago

Lots of options in #LSU's new offense. Three here for Danny Etling.
- Keep it himself
- Hand to DW
- Swing/screen pass in flats to Guice

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

Film review: What Matt Canada showed in LSU's opener, and what might be next for the Tigers offense

QuoteIf LSU offensive coordinator Matt Canada only revealed 10 percent of his offense Saturday, LSU's opponents are going to have a lot to prepare for this season.

There's been a lot of criticism of Canada's game plan in LSU's 27-0 victory over BYU Saturday. Some of it is founded. LSU ran the ball 57 times compared to 18 pass plays, relying on brute force and superior talent more than the refined, nuanced approach many fans expected to see from a well-respected offensive mind like Canada.

But if you review the tape, there was more nuance to Canada's master plan than the stat sheet shows.