Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From SoonerTimes

Started by flynhog, June 08, 2017, 09:29:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flynhog

Found this a few minutes ago.

Now that the "word is out" my sources are a little more willing to talk. It is a medical condition. Bob has been seeing a cardiologist in OKC for the past few years. Apparently he has the same arrhythmia that his father had. His father had a massive heart attack on the field coaching a HS team and died there on the field due to that heart attack. The cause of that heart attack was the arrhythmia. Bob's Dr strongly recommended to him to "reduce the stress in his life or risk ending up like his father".

As far as the staff goes, this was all known to them somewhere between 7-10 days ago. Bob went to Boren and Joe and recommended Riley become the HC. Part of the deal is that the existing staff is to stay in place for one year, then Riley will have options on what he wants to do as far as the staff goes.

Gundy will become the OC but Riley is going to call the plays this year, at least for now. Gundy has been working very closely with Riley for the last two years in essence being groomed for the OC position. Good for him as I think he deserves it.

Evidently Riley started looking in earnest since Monday for a new coach for the staff. Best guess is he is looking for a new Inside Receivers coach. Viney is expected to return in January as the 10th coach. I don't think they want to upset the apple cart any more than is necessary this year. After that, all bets are off. I'm in total agreement with that idea as there is so much riding on stability at the moment. (Recruiting, fall camp being so close, etc., etc.)

My personal thought is I expected Bob to stay through this year and then turn over the reins to Riley. I couldn't "prove" that though, so I kept my mouth shut. I think in the end, the Dr. had a huge influence on Bob and Carol.

I think Riley is going to make a great young coach. He has a lot to learn though and I expect a few hiccups this year because of it. I also feel this could be quite the motivator for the team this year in the realm of "let's win this one for coach" type of mentality of the team. Time will tell.

I did know that Mike and Lincoln had spent a lot of time together since the season ended working on recruiting. I think behind the scenes the staff new that Bob was going to retire before too much longer, but probably didn't expect it to happen as quickly as all this has come down. I know there has been a lot of strategy talked between the two and let's see what impact that has on our defense. It's obvious Riley has an excellent grasp of defensive scheming as you have to understand the defense in order to pick one apart as deftly as he does.

I'm sad to see Bob go. He was a class act and resurrected the Sooners from the abyss. I do feel we are in good hands under Riley. As I said above, there will be a few hiccups along the way this season, there almost always are with newer HCs. With that said, I feel confident this train will continue to gain momentum and be one of the top five on a yearly basis again.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

Dr. Starcs

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 08, 2017, 11:42:18 am
Class act?!

Lol
If all you know about Stoops is what you think you know about the Joe Mixon situation then you might laugh at calling him a class act.  If you know about all the things Bob Stoops does for his family, his players, his coaches, OU, Norman and the great OKC area you would also call him a class act.

DeltaBoy

Sad day for Sooners fans.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 11, 2017, 09:13:50 pm
Sad day for Sooners fans.

Good, I hate the sooners......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi