Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maureese Wren

Started by Next1_04, September 22, 2017, 09:27:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

already a thread in the recruiting thread.

IronHog

Quote from: tusked on September 22, 2017, 03:31:41 pm
It will be ok, that's the beauty of the 3-4.  You can interchange LB's.

You can get by with 2lbers in a 4-2-5

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

FraggleHog

Wren wanted to be a WR. We wanted him to be a LB. RD said he doesn't think he has the speed to be a WR at the next level. Nothing to see here... move along.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Hogwild

Why will we only have 15 scholarships available this year?

presidenthog

Quote from: ricepig on September 22, 2017, 10:14:16 am
I thought OLB? Perhaps he wanted to take a visit somewhere? It sucks that Geather's wanted this spot and we wouldn't take him.

Yep. Just screwed the pooch on this one

greenie

Quote from: Hogwild on September 22, 2017, 03:48:13 pm
Why will we only have 15 scholarships available this year?

Because our player retention is pretty good.  Only 85 spots allowed, so when you can grant 25 schollys a year and players ride those schollys for 4 years, you inevitably end up with years where you can't offer all 25.  And that's where we are now.  Most experts consider this a good sign for a program that leans on player development rather than 5* recruitment.

sickboy

Cassperr

Quote from: greenie on September 22, 2017, 03:53:06 pm
Because our player retention is pretty good.  Only 85 spots allowed, so when you can grant 25 schollys a year and players ride those schollys for 4 years, you inevitably end up with years where you can't offer all 25.  And that's where we are now.  Most experts consider this a good sign for a program that leans on player development rather than 5* recruitment.

player development not found :shrug:
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

AirWarren

Hog-Corleone

Story is... Arkansas was his best offer, but we wanted him to play OLB.  He committed because it was his best offer, and after his fall high school practice, and after a couple of games, he wants to play somewhere that is recruiting him for that position.   Per DD on Bo's show....

Spin or No-Spin, you can judge...Personally, Nothing to see here....  However, i think i heard that were wanting to only sign one WR in the 2018 class...  I'm not sure how I feel about that, unless they are planning on signing 24 OT's... 
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on September 22, 2017, 10:44:57 am
Well, we generally have had the fewest to decommit, but it's a little premature to say "red flag" without getting the skinny on it.

Problem is. LSU can afford to lose kids. They have the athletes and good recruiting class. Even though they have mediocre coaching.

Us on the other hand.....

HogHomer

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on September 22, 2017, 04:23:01 pm
Story is... Arkansas was his best offer, but we wanted him to play OLB.  He committed because it was his best offer, and after his fall high school practice, and after a couple of games, he wants to play somewhere that is recruiting him for that position.   Per DD on Bo's show....

Spin or No-Spin, you can judge...Personally, Nothing to see here....  However, i think i heard that were wanting to only sign one WR in the 2018 class...  I'm not sure how I feel about that, unless they are planning on signing 24 OT's...
We only have around 15 scholarships available this class. And we brought in what 5 receivers this class? We only need one receiver. And it's going to have to be a high rated or highly coveted WR we won't just take a WR to take one.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on September 22, 2017, 04:23:28 pm
Problem is. LSU can afford to lose kids. They have the athletes and good recruiting class. Even though they have mediocre coaching.

Us on the other hand.....

So, you don't think we'll be able to replace him??

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: FraggleHog on September 22, 2017, 03:37:20 pm
Wren wanted to be a WR. We wanted him to be a LB. RD said he doesn't think he has the speed to be a WR at the next level. Nothing to see here... move along.

This could be a clue to our problems.  Coaches don't think he's fast enough to play WR in the SEC, soooooo lets make him a LB that's too slow to cover WR in the SEC.

jesus border jumpin' christ.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

The Hawg Marshal

He's been contacted by TCU and Washington for WR, Texas is recruiting him as LB. According to RD

HogHomer

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 22, 2017, 05:08:51 pm

This could be a clue to our problems.  Coaches don't think he's fast enough to play WR in the SEC, soooooo lets make him a LB that's too slow to cover WR in the SEC.

jesus border jumpin' christ.
Where are all these LBs that's have WR speed? There's a reason coaches call a receiver on a linebacker a mismatch. Your comment is puzzling.

Scott7703

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on September 22, 2017, 11:04:26 am
We probably have the worst group of assistants in the SEC or close to it.

Other than one, I think our assistants are as good as we've ever had. Not sure how you can say otherwise.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on September 22, 2017, 04:37:10 pm
So, you don't think we'll be able to replace him??

By looking at the slowness and quality of player on our roster now....I'm losing faith in what this staff is bringing in.

Surely you don't disagree with that?

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on September 22, 2017, 05:41:13 pm
By looking at the slowness and quality of player on our roster now....I'm losing faith in what this staff is bringing in.

Surely you don't disagree with that?

Same quality we've been getting for years if you go by the recruiting numbers.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: HogHomer on September 22, 2017, 05:15:40 pm
Where are all these LBs that's have WR speed? There's a reason coaches call a receiver on a linebacker a mismatch. Your comment is puzzling.

too easy. They're obviously playing at other schools.

HogFoo

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 22, 2017, 10:12:19 am
We recruited him as a DB and he wants to play WR. But keep up the "dumpster fire" narrative.  I'm sure it'll help.
if I read RD right, he tweeted that we were wanting Wren to be a Linebacker and that Wren really wanted to be a WR.  Then i looked at some of Wrens tweets from last week even and he said he wanted to be a WR. So after seeing that, I can understand him wanting to decommit.  I can also see him looking at our passing game , if we told him he could try Wr, and be like whoa!  Anyways, what is crazy is that I saw a stat about Wren and it said that 50% of his catches at WR, went for TDS!!  Are you kidding me, that is a crazy stat!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HogHomer

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 22, 2017, 06:27:25 pm
too easy. They're obviously playing at other schools.
Would you like to show me? I mean beside the obvious freak of nature at Bama or LSU. Once again coaches love when you put a linebacker on a receiver because it's a mismatch 90% of the time. And even if they are fast enough what percentage of those LBs have the hip flex to keep up with WRs on their cuts? Not very many.

If you want speed at linebacker you have to go light and if you go light good luck stopping the run or hoping he can cover physical Tight End.

presidenthog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 22, 2017, 01:25:50 pm
Just get Bohanon and we'll be straight.

This x1000 but I was really high on wren at OLB

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: presidenthog on September 22, 2017, 07:33:36 pm
This x1000 but I was really high on wren at OLB

If he wants to be a QB, then he ain't coming.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

aloha_kid

Quote from: Hogfan991 on September 22, 2017, 09:38:06 am
We are a dumpster fire right now. Not a surprise.

Dumpster fire after one loss ... Oh my, must be hogville.  Kid wants to play WR and was recruited as an LB.  I don't get it.  WR gets that ball rarely and your the guy getting hit all the time.  To me, 6'4", play LB and blow someone up. 

JaketheSnake

September 22, 2017, 09:30:11 pm #76 Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:10:42 am by JaketheSnake
It's so awful we lose this commit, But half people here complain that we cannt win with 3*s anyway. The kid had 19 people say anything on the thread when he committed, but since everyone wants CBBs head they come to this thread now to make sure everyone knows they want the coach gone. EVERYONE HAS DECOMMITS

Again, 19 posts on the commit thread, already two pages about the state of the program on the decommit thread.

kp72204

Quote from: Razorpigg on September 22, 2017, 09:51:26 am
Baylor, Texas A&M are examples of "dumpster fires". We are not a dumpster fire good grief some of you are very unhappy with you current life situation. Grow a pair and grow up for crying out loud.
What's your definition of a dumpster fire? Baylor i'll give you but whats dif between TAMU and us, outside of better athletes?

jackflash

don't blame the kid if he wants to play Wr we LB INSIDE AND OUT I WISH HIM GOOD LUCK

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hargreaves seems to have a knack for getting LBrs to commit that really want to play offense.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: HogFoo on September 22, 2017, 06:52:04 pm
if I read RD right, he tweeted that we were wanting Wren to be a Linebacker and that Wren really wanted to be a WR.  Then i looked at some of Wrens tweets from last week even and he said he wanted to be a WR. So after seeing that, I can understand him wanting to decommit.  I can also see him looking at our passing game , if we told him he could try Wr, and be like whoa!  Anyways, what is crazy is that I saw a stat about Wren and it said that 50% of his catches at WR, went for TDS!!  Are you kidding me, that is a crazy stat!

When I visited the school last week, I asked him if he could give up playing WR in college and he couldn't tell me no. Arkansas did mention playing some receiver in the red zone, but that's it.

I knew when I left the school there was a big chance he decommitted.

I was told by someone at the school he probably didn't have the speed to play WR on the DI level. We'll probably see if he does in the future.

Smashmouth2004

From what I heard from coaches in Mesquite, they can't figure out why Wren is rated as high as he is. He really doesn't have the speed to be a WR and there's not much film on him playing defense so why is Ark interested in him. I was told we were better off without him but makes me wonder on our coaches ability to recognize talent.

HogHomer

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on September 28, 2017, 10:23:56 pm
From what I heard from coaches in Mesquite, they can't figure out why Wren is rated as high as he is. He really doesn't have the speed to be a WR and there's not much film on him playing defense so why is Ark interested in him. I was told we were better off without him but makes me wonder on our coaches ability to recognize talent.
The athletic ability and frame to be a good OLB is there but if his heart is set on being on offense then he will never do well on defense. When he committed our coaches sold him on being an OLB but as time went on he decided his mind and heart were set on being a WR. Doesn't have anything to do with recognizing talent.

Now if you want to question why did we spend resources on getting a guy to commit on defense but ultimately decide he can't or won't play there then go ahead.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on September 28, 2017, 10:23:56 pm

Numerous schools were recruiting him as an OLB. That's what Texas sees him at too.

Smashmouth2004

September 29, 2017, 11:22:29 am #84 Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:06:41 pm by Smashmouth2004
Quote from: Richard Davenport on September 28, 2017, 11:08:43 pm
Numerous schools were recruiting him as an OLB. That's what Texas sees him at too.
Richard, I can't go into details but the people who know him the best don't see him playing at a P5 school. He hates playing on the defensive side and SEC caliber CB's could cover him. He does not have the speed to be a deep threat! I guess my point, he's a good kid that won't cause a program any embarrassment but just an average Div I player which it seems is what Bielema is looking for.

Other coaches seem to be able to manage kids with "bad habits" but Bielema doesn't want anything to do with those kids so now in his 5th year with his players we see the result! Sometimes you need some kids with swagger.

Update:  Texas DC is at Wrens game tonight and when his coaches told him that, Wren all of a sudden wants to play defense tonight but didn't want to practice all week at LB. Seems he doesn't mind playing defense at Texas but there's really no film of him playing LB.