Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crossfit

Started by HogInThaGrove, September 04, 2014, 01:33:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogInThaGrove

spe450

Depends on the person, I suppose. 

I prefer not to because many promote a severe lack of form on lifts that require good to perfect form for safety.

Also, one must keep in mind that the people on tv competing are already exceptional athletes, even before starting crossfit.  Those are high and mostly unreachable goals for common folks.

clutch

Completely dependent on your goals. Getting as big and strong as possible? No. Getting insanely good endurance? Probably so.

Me, I'm not so much worried about endurance at this point in my life. I have times of year where I try to bump up my endurance and usually incorporate a little crossfit stuff for that. I'm more concerned with getting bigger and stronger though. Crossfit usually does the opposite for me. I shed weight and size.

PorkRinds

I did crossfit for about two years.  In the first year I tore my meniscus, and recently had to stop because of a torn rotator cuff.  And I tried my best to concentrate on form and not use lots of weight.  It's hard to do crossfit for any length of time and not get injured.  It does a great job of getting you in peak conditioning, but it's hard on the body. Just my experience.

clutch

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 04, 2014, 03:20:52 pm
I did crossfit for about two years.  In the first year I tore my meniscus, and recently had to stop because of a torn rotator cuff.  And I tried my best to concentrate on form and not use lots of weight.  It's hard to do crossfit for any length of time and not get injured.  It does a great job of getting you in peak conditioning, but it's hard on the body. Just my experience.

I completely agree with this. I'm not a huge crossfit fan, but it is really good for getting you in peak condition. However I would never do it for extended periods of time. When I mix it in, it's usually only for about a month or two at a time. Also I keep my regular weigh regimen going at the same time. Use crossfit more as a finisher.

excaliboar

I've been doing crossfit for about two years going 4-5 days a week & love it. To my knowledge, no one that works out at my box has experience an injury directly related to crossfit. Prior to starting I did my own strength program which was based  on 5/3/1 for a year & a half or so & then I herniated a disk. Started doing crossfit after I got healed up because I was tired of plodding through rep after rep & jumping on the treadmill.  It's all about goals & it's not for everyone. Will you get big & strong, probably not. Will you get strong if you put in the work, yes.  There are lots of naysayers & advocates, but bottom line is I do it because i think it's fun as hell. I just turned 40, & it's my last chance to do something that gets the old competitive juices flowing.  I'm probably stronger & in better shape now than I've ever been. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: excaliboar on September 05, 2014, 03:25:56 pm
I've been doing crossfit for about two years going 4-5 days a week & love it. To my knowledge, no one that works out at my box has experience an injury directly related to crossfit. Prior to starting I did my own strength program which was based  on 5/3/1 for a year & a half or so & then I herniated a disk. Started doing crossfit after I got healed up because I was tired of plodding through rep after rep & jumping on the treadmill.  It's all about goals & it's not for everyone. Will you get big & strong, probably not. Will you get strong if you put in the work, yes.  There are lots of naysayers & advocates, but bottom line is I do it because i think it's fun as hell. I just turned 40, & it's my last chance to do something that gets the old competitive juices flowing.  I'm probably stronger & in better shape now than I've ever been.

How many people work out at your box?  It's likely that they just stopped coming and it wasn't advertised that they were hurt.  Even the best crossfit boxes have injuries.  It's part of the sport.

H&D

We had to order a trainee to not do crossfit during field training because he showed up to work with his hands taped. He ripped them pretty bad that day. Many of their core moves I can't do because of a shoulder reconstruction. But you can't argue with the short term results. Anything that gets people off of the couch is good in my book.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hogsmo Kramer

Like has been stated its all about your goals which is true for any program really.

Just make sure you know what you want to get out of training and pick a program that matches that and you'll be good.

There's not much I haven't tried at one time or another, including crossfit, so I say don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and try different stuff to see what works best for you.

After all variety is the spice of life and that applies to training as well at least for me.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

ldfergu

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on September 04, 2014, 01:33:00 pm
Yay/Nay?

Why?
[/quote
Depends.  My experience is that u should do it in moderation. Mix it in 1-2 times a week but not for your sole workout. I got a few nagging injuries doing CF 3-4 times a week. Do what works for you. You can learn a lot from CF instruction as I did. Mainly the importance of proper technique and how everything comes from your core. 

CF also teaches the importance of nutrition which rubbed off on me a bit.  If u decide to do CrossFit go at your own pace and don't get too caught up in going for personal records and doing the prescribed workout. You will be cooked either way.  Also don't buy into their cult like approach. Take in the good, see thru the bad.

ldfergu

Depends.  My experience is that u should do it in moderation. Mix it in 1-2 times a week but not for your sole workout. I got a few nagging injuries doing CF 3-4 times a week. Do what works for you. You can learn a lot from CF instruction as I did. Mainly the importance of proper technique and how everything comes from your core. 

CF also teaches the importance of nutrition which rubbed off on me a bit.  If u decide to do CrossFit go at your own pace and don't get too caught up in going for personal records and doing the prescribed workout. You will be cooked either way.  Also don't buy into their cult like approach. Take in the good, see thru the bad.

majestic

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

majestic

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

kingofdequeen

kingofdequeen

kingofdequeen

kingofdequeen

kingofdequeen

kingofdequeen

Hogfly

The best Crossfit slam is the Broscience Crossfit vid.

Totally NSFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjYyfkcaNI

Deep Shoat

Here's a little known fact:

David Koresh invented crossfit just before the feds attacked...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Tom in Fort Worth

Yes

I did it for 3 mo and it was a game changer. I run pretty regular up to 40 miles a week at peak training, but crossfit got me in the best shape of any workout regimen I've ever done.  The only con was that it was really difficult to make the schedules. With running I get what I can in when I can.

hawgrunner

Deep Shoat

A vegan, an atheist, and a crossfitter walk into a bar.

How do I know?  They won't stop talking about it...
All Gas, No Brakes!

hawgrunner

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 25, 2014, 10:45:34 pm

how true

Buff

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 25, 2014, 10:45:34 pm

Do you even Crossfit, blah?  8)

Ragnar Hogbrok

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Crossfit is something I never tried.  However, the U.S. Army has spent millions on Crossfit equipment and hiring trainers to train soldiers to be crossfit trainers.  It gets to be a pageant of sorts.

Anyways, I know a bit about it.  I see so many people utilizing horrible form just to knock out a few more reps to be one of the "cool kids."  Injuries have occurred at a higher rate than standard Army PT.  Therefore, I'm very suspect of either the Crossfit doctrine or the execution of the exercises by instructors and individuals.

After I had should reconstruction in April of this year, I'll never be able to even try Crossfit.  I have been advised that pull ups are probably not a good idea for me ever again let alone the other shoulder joint stressing exercises found within the Crossfit regimen.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

ldfergu

I've just gotten back into CrossFit and here's what I think.

Avoid the rah-rah coaches that try to get you to do more weight and get faster times. This is how you get hurt and don't workout at all.

Pay attention to those coaches that harp on proper lifting mechanics and genuinely are interested in helping you perform the lifts/movements correctly.

Overall, I'm for it. I still like mixing in traditional weightlifting but CrossFit really can strenghthen your core which is highly important to getting stronger everywhere else. Just don't worry about what the guy next to you is doing or how fast they are doing it. Do it right then worry about adding a little weight

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 11, 2014, 05:18:12 pm

clicked on this thread to make sure someone delivered.

good job KDQ

RazorPiggie

Two of my bosses are part owners of crossfit gyms and workout at them. One has had surgery on his wrist because of it, the other torn his bicep doing it. Another guy at work torn up his shoulder and a different one screwed up his knee.

I'll never do it and I can do it for free. Plus I can't stand them talking about it every mother flippin day. Honestly, no one gives a crap about your wod.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 05, 2015, 10:24:38 pm
Two of my bosses are part owners of crossfit gyms and workout at them. One has had surgery on his wrist because of it, the other torn his bicep doing it. Another guy at work torn up his shoulder and a different one screwed up his knee.

I'll never do it and I can do it for free. Plus I can't stand them talking about it every mother flippin day. Honestly, no one gives a crap about your wod.

The cult is the worst part. 

Pork Twain

I am no expert, but based on my years of training, and back issues (not related to weight lifting) something that goes this far away from good form, has to be bad and that will become clear in a few years as crossfitters begin to fall apart.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

H&D

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 15, 2015, 08:48:04 am
I am no expert, but based on my years of training, and back issues (not related to weight lifting) something that goes this far away from good form, has to be bad and that will become clear in a few years as crossfitters begin to fall apart.

And they all do.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Kenny Hawgins

Some of the principles, IF USED WISELY, are beneficial.  The application doesn't always end up well.  For instance, high rep use of certain lifts or ballistic movements are essentially begging for injuries to happen.

Beyond that, I've skimmed through some of their "certification" study materials and caught multiple statements that are basically opposite of established research.  Of course, if you take a college dropout putting together workouts that he doesn't even do (and has a pot belly), what could go wrong?

Btw, what's the first rule of crossfit?

....You ALWAYS TALK ABOUT CROSSFIT.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: excaliboar on September 05, 2014, 03:25:56 pm
I just noticed this post and figured I'd throw in my .02. 

I understand about getting bored with lifting and then having to worry about doing cardio.  Of course, imho, immediately following your lifting with cardio is a programming mistake in and of itself (if size and/or strength are goals). 

Anyways, if cardiovascular health is your goal, crossfit is not the way to get there and is not an adequate replacement for cardio.  Even when you're dealing with light weight (~50% 1rm) moved quickly, you increase your resistance to blood flow and decrease venous return of blood to the heart which, in turn, reduces pre-load of blood into the heart and forces your heart to have to work harder.  If you are skeptical, look up the normal changes in blood pressure in response to different forms of exercise.  For cardio, systolic BP goes up while diastolic stays relatively similar to rest.  However, for resistance training, both go up significantly which, since your heart typically spends ~2/3 of the contractile cycle in diastole, increases your mean arterial pressure (MAP) drastically (and your heart has to work harder).

One of the primary benefits of cardio is that your heart's left ventricle enlarges.  This happens because cardio provides a volume overload to your heart and stretches out the fibers of your left ventricle.  Afterall, your heart is trying to pump more and more blood to supply O2 to your working muscle.  Under normal conditions, your heart relies greatly on natural recoil of stretching to provide contractile force, and this reduces the actual stress on the heart (aka the Frank-Starling Mechanism).  If, however, less blood is flowing through the heart due to increased resistance, the fibers don't stretch and your heart has to work harder.

Now, I've mentioned this to people before who are quick to point out that their endurance has gotten better.  This isn't the same thing, although it is related.  For beginners, they typically weren't in great shape (endurance-wise) beforehand so improvements are much more likely initially.  Second, I'm talking about long-term cardiovascular benefits of different forms of exercise rather than a characteristic that is transient.  Last, some of those changes in performance ability can be due to other factors (improved pH buffering, higher a-vO2 diff, improved capillarization).  Again, someone just starting out will likely see increases in stroke volume and thus, cardiac output, due to not being in great shape from the beginning, but there's a limit to the improvements and ultimately, fast weight lifting is not a replacement for cardiovascular exercise.

All that being said, if you enjoy crossfit and it keeps you active, I'm happy to say that you should continue doing it.  Just keep in mind that you shouldn't do olympic lifts for high reps and ballistic exercises aren't appropriate for conditioning.  That'll cut down your risk for injury significantly.  ;)
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

root_hawg

My crossfit experience ... first month ... ended up in a boot with a cracked bone in foot ..... second month ... torn meniscus and mcr partial .... third month ... doing just arms and abs because of knee ... shoulder surgery scheduled in 3 weeks ... no thanks

nationwish

Quote from: root_hawg on November 29, 2015, 02:19:14 pm
My crossfit experience ... first month ... ended up in a boot with a cracked bone in foot ..... second month ... torn meniscus and mcr partial .... third month ... doing just arms and abs because of knee ... shoulder surgery scheduled in 3 weeks ... no thanks

You were clearly not doing something right. How were you holding your phone to record yourself for facebook and instagram?

Ragnar Hogbrok

root_hawg

What the trainer was telling me but that there was a good one ... ;D

Buff

Quote from: nationwish on November 29, 2015, 06:40:51 pm
You were clearly not doing something right. How were you holding your phone to record yourself for facebook and instagram?

Close the thread down.  This guy just ended it!

Buff

In case any newbs are interested in trying Crossfit.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyil4IGAvVs

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Buff on November 29, 2015, 10:36:13 pm
In case any newbs are interested in trying Crossfit.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyil4IGAvVs

I think I've watched that thing like 20 times before and it never gets less funny.  :D

Both those dudes are vets too.

The guy with the prosthesis was in the 82nd airborne wounded in Iraq and the other a former Ranger.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

clutch

Quote from: root_hawg on November 29, 2015, 02:19:14 pm

Sure does take you a long time to learn your lesson.