Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 29, 2024, 06:57:25 pm

Are you happy?

Started by pigture perfect, January 26, 2018, 08:49:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

I am concerned for my cousin who has had 3 deployments in the last 8 years. He will probably do 1 more, or so he thinks. He has been in a lot of stuff. Definite signs of ptsd, at least to me.

He has shared with me some pretty dark things. He has said that he refuses to be a statistic. He's returned to church and his pastor is helping him, as well as a chaplain, but he still needs prayer for both him and his family.

I know that we have several vets on this board as well as current military and I just want you to know how much you are appreciated and I don't want you to think you are alone. I don't want you to be the 1 every 22 minutes who attempts suicide. You can PM me if you need someone to just listen. I guess that is all.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ragnar Hogbrok

Thanks, brother. If you need any advice on counseling your cousin, I can try to help. I've been in those dark places and God brought me through. I don't think I'll ever be that kid you knew ever again, but God has forged me into something that I think He needs.

I'll never pretend to understand God's will in my life, but I have learned to accept it. Perhaps trying to fight it out on my own was His way of showing me how dependent I truly am on Him.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

pigture perfect

Thanks Chief. I knew your grandparents and parents and know that their prayers have carried you at times. Good folks.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogginbama

To the OP - much appreciated. Those kind words and offer of an ear mean more to veterans than you realize. As a recent retiree of 29 yrs I get at least a phone call a week from former Soldiers who worked for me, with me and above just needing to have an ear. Taking the step to reach out to someone is one of the hardest things for a vet to do. For many years we had it drilled into us that we were the baddest SOBs around, nothing could stop us and to act otherwise was a sign of weakness. Those calls from others needing an ear have been a big assist to me, even though those guys don't know it. While on AD I was all Soldier and all family, no time for close friends.  When I retired I made a clean break from the Army, took a straight civilian job where a most try to get a job continuing to work in DoD jobs with the military. I thought that break would do me good, but it has been a struggle adjusting. Never thought I would miss the job like I do and being one to not talk about myself a ton, I find it hard to share thoughts and feelings that are impacting my daily life. I have always been one to do for others and put my needs/wants 2nd, and am now realizing that I have to make time for myself. In a way, those weekly calls from across the country, have been what I needed to keep that connection and clear my head without having to to feel like I am being a burden to others.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

pigture perfect

Thank you Bama. I miss my days as well sometime. I was in 7, but decided to get out when I did to save my marriage before things got too bad. Thank you for your service.

EasyRider81

Key to mental health in the Army is owning a motorcycle. I start and end each day with a 35 minute ride where I relax and am away from the stresses of the world.

I'm at 14 years and have five deployments and eight moves under my belt. Woulnd't say I'm thrilled with life but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and when I hang it up at 42 I think I'm just gonna be a barber and live near a lake in Texas.