Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dominique Reed Crystal Ball

Started by scruf, November 04, 2014, 01:43:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogdomer on November 05, 2014, 09:04:13 am
I hope he comes back, but I think this thread is evidence he isn't well loved and respected.
So just because some of feel he's not necessarily ready for the NFL this year he isn't loved and respected? I mean what has he shown ON the field that would make you think that NFL scouts are drooling all over themselves for a shot at him?

I have nothing but respect for any young man who "lays it on the line" for the Hogs. Whether that be practice, in the film room, or the game. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that I feel that every young man who does so is necessarily ready for NFL "prime time".  That's the case with Mr. Hatcher.

Hogdomer

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 05, 2014, 04:11:46 pm
So just because some of feel he's not necessarily ready for the NFL this year he isn't loved and respected? I mean what has he shown ON the field that would make you think that NFL scouts are drooling all over themselves for a shot at him?

I have nothing but respect for any young man who "lays it on the line" for the Hogs. Whether that be practice, in the film room, or the game. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that I feel that every young man who does so is necessarily ready for NFL "prime time".  That's the case with Mr. Hatcher.

The articles with scouts' takes are in the thread.  I don't think he'll be picked before the fourth round personally, I just said there is a decent chance he leaves.  Maybe his personal situation is such that a fourth or fifth round pick is worth it, I don't know.  The root world article said the word is he will declare for the draft.  Who knows?

I do know when I brought up the possibility I was lambasted because, I can only assume, the general consensus is that he isn't very good.  My conclusion from that is that he is not well respected. 

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hatcher doesn't even have to wait for the Draft Eval paperwork to come back, I'll save the time and anxiety.

It'll just be a handwritten note on a post-it that simply says "Better get your degree kid"
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Supermark101

Quote from: jry04 on November 04, 2014, 05:58:56 pm
Seriously? First off, Williams gets the majority of the carries. Most schools in the country run 2 RBs, if not more. Williams will avoid risk of injury by getting less carries with other quality RBs in out backfield without seeing his production suffer. Rushing for 1,000 yards in the SEC next year would definitely boost his stock.

A majority? Last year He had 150 carries and Alex had 190. This year he has 137 and Alex has 134. Many schools use 2 or more backs, yes, but all but a few have "the guy" It only takes one carry to ruin a career, see Marcus Lattimore.

Quote from: jry04 on November 04, 2014, 05:58:56 pm
If you don't think Williams can boost his stock by coming back, then you don't pay attention to college football much. This is a RB heavy draft, and history has shown that RBs haven't fared well in the draft in previous years. Most fall much farther than they should because there isn't as big of a demand in the NFL for them.

This year Melvin Gordon, Ameer Abdullah, Todd Gurley, the Boise RB Ajayi, Tevin Coleman, and Duke Johnson will all go higher than Jonathan Williams. Then you have players like Mike Davis and TJ Yeldon who will be a coin flip as to who goes before each other along with Williams if he were to enter. Last year there wasn't a single RB who went in the first round. This year there will probably be 2, but Williams would likely be slotted around the 4th or 5th round at best. He could wait, let some of these dominant RBs declare after this year, and if he duplicates the season he had this year next season then he will likely slide up into the top 5 prospects at the RB position. CBS doesn't have him as a 2015 draft prospect, and neither does Walter football. Most think he is a great back that will be leaving after next season.

I pay more attention than most, believe me. Just because It is a deep class does not automatically mean RB are going to be drafted higher the year after. A top 5 spot in 2015 will likely still be 3rd to 4th round. If he gets a 3rd or 4th round grade, he should bolt. There is no reason to spend one more years in college, as a running back, when you could be getting paid.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Supermark101 on November 05, 2014, 10:42:52 pm
A majority? Last year He had 150 carries and Alex had 190. This year he has 137 and Alex has 134. Many schools use 2 or more backs, yes, but all but a few have "the guy" It only takes one carry to ruin a career, see Marcus Lattimore.

I pay more attention than most, believe me. Just because It is a deep class does not automatically mean RB are going to be drafted higher the year after. A top 5 spot in 2015 will likely still be 3rd to 4th round. If he gets a 3rd or 4th round grade, he should bolt. There is no reason to spend one more years in college, as a running back, when you could be getting paid.
Glad to see and hear you're his advisor. Who knew?

IBleedRazorbackRed

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on November 06, 2014, 07:40:38 am
He's not wrong
My comment still stands. And what, pray tell, does that have to do with anything?

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 06, 2014, 07:51:13 am
My comment still stands. And what, pray tell, does that have to do with anything?

That If jwill gets a 3rd or 4th round grade, he would he smart to go

ricepig

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on November 06, 2014, 12:38:21 pm
That If jwill gets a 3rd or 4th round grade, he would he smart to go

Correct, while I want him to stay, that prediction means gon

scruf

Two more picks to Arkansas today:

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Dominique-Reed-at-Coffeyville-CC-48169/CurrentExpertPredictions

Still trying to get my head around the possibility of KJ Hill, Dominique Reed and JoJo Robinson on the field at the same time. I haven't seen this complete a turnover in the WR corps since Jarius Wright's class. This one has a chance to be as good.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: scruf on November 13, 2014, 12:37:17 pm
Two more picks to Arkansas today:

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Dominique-Reed-at-Coffeyville-CC-48169/CurrentExpertPredictions

Still trying to get my head around the possibility of KJ Hill, Dominique Reed and JoJo Robinson on the field at the same time. I haven't seen this complete a turnover in the WR corps since Jarius Wright's class. This one has a chance to be as good.

Doesn't he have to qualify first?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Chief Mac

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 13, 2014, 12:42:16 pm
Doesn't he have to qualify first?

That's the rumor...if he is academically G2G for SEC, then he'll be a Hog
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

scruf

Oklahawg

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 13, 2014, 12:44:16 pm
That's the rumor...if he is academically G2G for SEC, then he'll be a Hog

Cannot have an "oops" with JUCO recruits, especially spring grads. They wind up having to take a class over again in the summer when you are planning on them being on campus (already practicing with the team, learning playbooks, hitting the weight room, etc.).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 13, 2014, 02:13:48 pm
Cannot have an "oops" with JUCO recruits, especially spring grads. They wind up having to take a class over again in the summer when you are planning on them being on campus (already practicing with the team, learning playbooks, hitting the weight room, etc.).

To me, it's an indication of just how highly this staff thinks of this guy that they have stayed with him all this time with his qualifying still up in the air.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 13, 2014, 02:13:48 pm

It worked out ok with Tretola

AugustaHog

I think this staff has shown the willingness to gamble on a kid (Tretola, Pruitt, and now Reed), if they have a huge payoff.  I would love to see what our playmakers look like in two years.  Our TE group will be ridiculous by 2016 (Henry's SR season) and the WRs are going to be pretty nasty.  There won't be anybody saying we don't have open receivers to throw to.

Kevin

cobi hamilton cannot get on the active roster, and some think hatcher will get drafted.

come on, man
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: AugustaHog on November 13, 2014, 02:31:43 pm
There won't be anybody saying we don't have open receivers to throw to.

Not so fast ...

If our QB has a 50% completion rate, doesn't make many plays with his arms or legs, and we're struggling to win games, then there will most definitely be people blaming it on the WR's.

cbhawg03

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 05, 2014, 09:57:05 pm
Hatcher doesn't even have to wait for the Draft Eval paperwork to come back, I'll save the time and anxiety.

It'll just be a handwritten note on a post-it that simply says "Better get your degree kid"

+1 for the laugh. Truth can be funny

scruf

I like Hatcher but he's been the Hogs' 1st option a lot this year and he would be a 3rd or 4th option on most SEC teams.

Uncommon

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 05, 2014, 09:57:05 pm

A little harsh.  Agree that going into the Draft this year would not be wise but he has a shot next year.  Depends on how much he improves in the offseason and how his senior year goes.

FATHAWG08

Who was the DB that didn't start but was our punt returner & he declared for the draft it seems around 5 years ago?
I love off season Football!!

FATHAWG08

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 13, 2014, 03:07:35 pm
Not so fast ...

If our QB has a 50% completion rate, doesn't make many plays with his arms or legs, and we're struggling to win games, then there will most definitely be people blaming it on the WR's.
[/quote

That is option# 1 on HV
I love off season Football!!

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on November 13, 2014, 07:01:41 pm
Who was the DB that didn't start but was our punt returner & he declared for the draft it seems around 5 years ago?

Michael coe?
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

NLRHog92

He doesn't look to be running very hard in his highlights. Maybe he's just that fast, but I'd rather see a 6-3/6-4 guy play with a little more aggression. Really smooth though! Hopefully he can contribute as a deep play threat immediately!

tophawg19

NLR he's like Matt Jones was , you really don't get a feel for his speed till you see him run by a really fast player . he can flat fly though and makes tough catches . looking forward to watching him play again
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on November 13, 2014, 07:12:43 pm
Michael coe?

Coe transferred. I think he is talking about Jerrell Norton

BoynamedWooPigSooie

llololololllolololol     yes.  Jerrell Norton.

There's too many fat chicks on campus that pump up these marginal athletes we have.  They just don't have a foot in reality after 3 or 4 years on the hill.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

MissippHog

Quote from: NLRHog92 on November 13, 2014, 07:28:53 pm
He doesn't look to be running very hard in his highlights. Maybe he's just that fast, but I'd rather see a 6-3/6-4 guy play with a little more aggression. Really smooth though! Hopefully he can contribute as a deep play threat immediately!
Reminds me of a slightly faster DeArthur Cowan.  Runs smooth and looks to be gliding along, deceptively fast.

intelligence

Hatcher is high on the board's soley for his route running.

dowils

i
Quote from: MissippHog on November 13, 2014, 08:51:24 pm
Reminds me of a slightly faster DeArthur Cowan.  Runs smooth and looks to be gliding along, deceptively fast.

I agree

SemperFi

Quote from: MissippHog on November 13, 2014, 08:51:24 pm

When watching his highlight video he makes some great catches and is explosive with the ball. My only complaint is that his route running is sloppy and a bit lazy. You can probably contribute the majority of that to the level of competition, but he's going to have to learn to run better routes once he's in the SEC. Just relying on shear athletic ability will not be enough. I think that physically hes ready and will not be jammed at the LOS, but going against SEC and NFL caliber CB's he's going to need some work. Is he coachable and will he do the things that CBB will require of him? I hope so.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

JackJohnson

Quote from: SemperFi on November 14, 2014, 09:55:50 am
When watching his highlight video he makes some great catches and is explosive with the ball. My only complaint is that his route running is sloppy and a bit lazy. You can probably contribute the majority of that to the level of competition, but he's going to have to learn to run better routes once he's in the SEC. Just relying on shear athletic ability will not be enough. I think that physically hes ready and will not be jammed at the LOS, but going against SEC and NFL caliber CB's he's going to need some work. Is he coachable and will he do the things that CBB will require of him? I hope so.

i guess that just depends on how truly elite of a talent he is.  2 years ago Cordarelle Patterson went to Tenn out of JC (playing for Chaney ironically enough) and he couldn't run a route to save his life- and still can't to this day in the NFL which is now of course hurting him.  However they found ways to get him the ball and just let his unbelievable talent make plays. 

Not saying Reed is on that level but more to your point that you don't have to be a precise route runner in college to be a big time playmaker- even in the SEC- if you have that much natural talent

Oklahawg

Hatcher is as physical as any WR in the SEC. That will get folks attention - good WRs have to be able to block. Less imposing WR with great hands, speed, etc., still have to block. Might be part of Cobi's deal?

Hatcher isn't fast and will need to fix the dropsies but will be given a chance...but not for another year.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

dbankster

Dominique Reed is a 4-star now on 247.

FutureMan

"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

East TN HAWG

Hatcher definitely has the physical attributes to be an NFL receiver.  He needs to work on ball security.  He has struggled during his career at Arkansas with ball security.    If you drop passes or fumble in the NFL, you are not employed long.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 14, 2014, 10:23:01 am
Hatcher is as physical as any WR in the SEC. That will get folks attention - good WRs have to be able to block. Less imposing WR with great hands, speed, etc., still have to block. Might be part of Cobi's deal?

Hatcher isn't fast and will need to fix the dropsies but will be given a chance...but not for another year.
Physical? Not hardly. If he were physical he'd be able to come down with some of those tough catches. He's small and not overly fast and lacks great hands. Some on here are nuts. "He's high on boards due to route running." WTH.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on November 14, 2014, 10:55:28 am
Physical? Not hardly. If he were physical he'd be able to come down with some of those tough catches. He's small and not overly fast and lacks great hands. Some on here are nuts. "He's high on boards due to route running." WTH.

don't want to diss a player at all, but I'm with you - don't know where people are coming up with all this NFL talk.  He is valuable for our team and that's great, but I'd be shocked if he made it to the NFL

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on November 14, 2014, 10:58:51 am
don't want to diss a player at all, but I'm with you - don't know where people are coming up with all this NFL talk.  He is valuable for our team and that's great, but I'd be shocked if he made it to the NFL
Joe Adams and Cobi can't hack it in the NFL. People always think all of our players are going to make it to the league. Very few have meaningful careers.

Oklahawg

Do you watch games? Your comment is one of the most retarded comments about a player in a long time. Route running? I don't know about that. He is not small and he is physical. Just watch a game.

bigdaddyhawg

From my perspective it seems those are the only kind of catches he ever gets a chance at, the hard ones.

I think he has done a very good job at being a dependable, go-to receiver, with the exception of the Auburn game.

Keep in mind, he's catching passes from a guy who has a serious accuracy problem.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 14, 2014, 11:34:22 am
Do you watch games? Your comment is one of the most retarded comments about a player in a long time. Route running? I don't know about that. He is not small and he is physical. Just watch a game.

I love the way he punishes CBs after the catch.

greenie

One of the primary reasons Hatcher is a starter is that he's physical and supports the run game.  You must be thinking of someone else.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 14, 2014, 11:34:22 am
He'll measure about 5'10 190 at the pro day next year.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: greenie on November 14, 2014, 12:09:26 pm
One of the primary reasons Hatcher is a starter is that he's physical and supports the run game.  You must be thinking of someone else.
Who else would start?

HoggusMaximus

Anyone know if the kid is going to make the grades?

redeye

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 13, 2014, 07:37:42 pm
NLR he's like Matt Jones was , you really don't get a feel for his speed till you see him run by a really fast player . he can flat fly though and makes tough catches . looking forward to watching him play again

Yea, with his long strides, you'd think MJ was just cruising along, but then you'd start noticing separation from those chasing him.  I can remember screaming for him to run harder, only to later realize he didn't need to.

More trolling from alwaysnextyear.   :-\

onebadrubi

Quote from: redeye on November 14, 2014, 01:03:40 pm
Yea, with his long strides, you'd think MJ was just cruising along, but then you'd start noticing separation from those chasing him.  I can remember screaming for him to run harder, only to later realize he didn't need to.

More trolling from alwaysnextyear.   :-\

It's ironic when the slam the troll hammer on him there won't be a next year for him!  Ha