Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jalen Hudson

Started by -Blu, March 17, 2014, 05:39:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

VA Tech's coach just got fired, Jalen Hudson was one of our top targets in the fall before choosing Va Tech over us, I wonder if there is any chance he opens his recruitment back up.  If so, do will still go after him?

http://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Hudson-24810

The_Iceman

Good question. I'm not sure he is an option anymore. I'm thinking it's Willie Atwood or save the scholly.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 17, 2014, 05:48:00 pm
Good question. I'm not sure he is an option anymore. I'm thinking it's Willie Atwood or save the scholly.

I'm with you here.

Dominicanhog

Mike said we addressed a lot of our inside needs but we still needed to address the outside  game, maybe he'd take Hudson anyway just to make sure he had what he needed next year.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Already signed his NLI. Virginia Tech would need to release him first.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 17, 2014, 06:34:38 pm

Usually standard when coaches change, if they don't he can appeal

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 17, 2014, 06:34:38 pm

Not a problem.

NCAA will rule in favor of the student-athlete when there is a coaching change.

Danny J

It would be nice to get another tall long guard to go with Babb and Madden.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

MGB1229

Was really hoping to land this guy when we recruited him.  Guy would fit in perfectly, but I imagine a 6'5 PG/SG fits in perfectly pretty much anywhere. 

mbgrulz

Quote from: MGB1229 on March 17, 2014, 08:45:21 pm
Was really hoping to land this guy when we recruited him.  Guy would fit in perfectly, but I imagine a 6'5 PG/SG fits in perfectly pretty much anywhere. 
Yep...Can't get enough 6'5" guards.

The_Iceman

He shoots it aittle like Scotty: long, natural stroke.

MGB1229

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 17, 2014, 08:49:26 pm
Yep...Can't get enough 6'5" guards.

No doubt.  What really sucks is seeing Jamal Jones light up the SEC for A&M.  He would have pushed us over the top this year.  Oh well.  Lol :razorback:

The_Iceman

Quote from: MGB1229 on March 17, 2014, 08:53:34 pm
No doubt.  What really sucks is seeing Jamal Jones light up the SEC for A&M.  He would have pushed us over the top this year.  Oh well.  Lol :razorback:

He wanted 35 minutes a game and 15+ shots a game. Wasn't going to get that here.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2014, 06:26:21 am
He wanted 35 minutes a game and 15+ shots a game. Wasn't going to get that here.

I thought it was because his offer was pulled??

ricepig

Promise them anything, haha, and I'm not sure he started at the beginning for aTm, or averaged that.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 18, 2014, 08:59:49 am
Promise them anything, haha, and I'm not sure he started at the beginning for aTm, or averaged that.
He only played 28 min a game but did get up 12 shots a game but only shot 38% from the field and from 3.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

The_Iceman

Quote from: ricepig on March 18, 2014, 08:59:49 am

If you look up his stats in the last half of SEC play, that's about that he was getting (35 mins, 15 shots) per night.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2014, 09:10:41 am
If you look up his stats in the last half of SEC play, that's about that he was getting (35 mins, 15 shots) per night.

And shot 37/38%, he would have helped, but he wasn't the answer. His defense would have made some of our other guys look like All-SEC defense team material.

MGB1229

I don't have any idea what he was or wasn't promised.  I just think he would have helped.  If by helping he gets us two more wins then that is good enough.  Who knows though.  Water under the bridge. 

Porkatarian

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2014, 08:47:07 am
I thought it was because his offer was pulled??

It was.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

The_Iceman

Back to Jalen Hudson, I really like his game. I just don't see him getting an offer with Beard, Durham, and Babb already committed.... and with the 2015 class being loaded at guard/wing players.

Porkatarian

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2014, 10:15:22 am
Back to Jalen Hudson, I really like his game. I just don't see him getting an offer with Beard, Durham, and Babb already committed.... and with the 2015 class being loaded at guard/wing players.

I'd take Hudson in a heartbeat.  That would still give us 2 scholarships to use in the next class.  Just curious about who all you are planning on signing?  Not a flame, just curious.

Porkatarian out...

MGB1229

Yeah, you might be right about that.  I also saw Dequon Miller retweet yesterday that us and Ole Miss were the leading contenders for his services so who knows.   

Hawg Red

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 18, 2014, 10:11:10 am
It was.

Porkatarian out...

So wanting 35 MPG and 15 shots had nothing to do with it?

Just trying to pin-point the actual reason and figure out which excuse is the reason.

-Blu

Quote from: MGB1229 on March 18, 2014, 10:23:53 am
Yeah, you might be right about that.  I also saw Dequon Miller retweet yesterday that us and Ole Miss were the leading contenders for his services so who knows.   

That's interesting....  If we took 3 PGs I'd be completely shocked.

HawgAdvocate

He may have de$ired that, as any $corer would, but that'$ not what got hi$ offer pulled.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 18, 2014, 10:21:36 am
I'd take Hudson in a heartbeat.  That would still give us 2 scholarships to use in the next class.  Just curious about who all you are planning on signing?  Not a flame, just curious.

Porkatarian out...

Well, the top two have to be KeVaughn Allen and King McClure. Then there are players like Jimmy Whitt and Admon Gilder are good picks as well.

I would love to get Jalen. I was a big fan of his during the recruiting process. Just not sure our staff is going to go for it.

The_Iceman

-Blu

I thought the same thing, but if you look at our roster situation, we are either going to be overloaded at the guard spots or the forward spots if we take another guy regardless.  And if you take another guard, Hudson would be the type you would take considering he can play the 2 or 3 spot.

With Hudson....

Beard/Durham/Babb
Madden/Bell/Hudson
Qualls/Willams/Miles
Portis/Harris
Kingsley/Thompson

With Atwood....

Beard/Durham
Madden/Bell/Babb
Qualls/Williams/Miles
Atwood/Harris
Portis/Kingsley/Thompson

So if you look it's really just more of a difference do we have an extra guy in the front court or back-court, only 12 will be in the rotation at the most regardless.  And TBH with you, I'd rather us have a loaded back-court over front court, because I really think if we don't get Atwood, Kingsley will start next year, and I think that will actually help us out more, because this kid is ready, but if Atwood comes he's going to be a better scorer and I think he'd warrant that spot over Kingsley.  I don't really see Harris starting next year regardless of the situation, I actually think his minutes may go down next year to around about 15 MPG. 

MGB1229

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2014, 10:42:12 am
Well, the top two have to be KeVaughn Allen and King McClure. Then there are players like Jimmy Whitt and Admon Gilder are good picks as well.

I would love to get Jalen. I was a big fan of his during the recruiting process. Just not sure our staff is going to go for it.

I am with you on Jalen and I would be thrilled if we could land 2 out of the other 4.:razorback:

Adam Stokes

Take as many good players as you can.  We realistically have 13 scholarships to give to each class.  Take the best players you can from each class and then let the numbers work out if it is needed.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2014, 10:42:12 am

We were actually talking 2015 recruits on another board.  And from what most are saying we got our work cut out for us for Kevaughn Allen, and this is coming from guys that have spoken to his coaches and followed his recruiting.  King McClure, I have no idea, some people say we are the leaders, others say it's between Kansas and Baylor.  And most think Admon Gilder is an SMU lock at the moment.  Only person we seem to be the consensus leader for and have a good shot at is Jimmy Whitt.  His family is really close to the Watkins family, and him and Manny Watkins are really good friends.

So, from what I've heard the staff needs to get the best possible players they can now, and not save and hold schollys waiting on 2015 class, because it could end up not turning out like we initially hoped.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on March 18, 2014, 10:59:17 am
We were actually talking 2015 recruits on another board.  And from what most are saying we got our work cut out for us for Kevaughn Allen, and this is coming from guys that have spoken to his coaches and followed his recruiting.  King McClure, I have no idea, some people say we are the leaders, others say it's between Kansas and Baylor.  And most think Admon Gilder is an SMU lock at the moment.  Only person we seem to be the consensus leader for and have a good shot at is Jimmy Whitt.  His family is really close to the Watkins family, and him and Manny Watkins are really good friends.

So, from what I've heard the staff needs to get the best possible players they can now, and not save and hold schollys waiting on 2015 class, because it could end up not turning out like we initially hoped.

Good points. I think missing the NCAA-T this year hurt our 2015 recruiting. We will need to start the 2014-2015 off really strong to start grabbing the attention of some of those guys.

The_Iceman

Some more highlights of him:

MGB1229

Jimmy Whitt is awesome.  Surely we they can find another really good guard to go with him if Allen falls through.  We have a nice crop coming in this year and all three can fill it up from the outside thank goodness. 

You have to think we have a better than good chance with Monk in 2016.  It would be disappointing to say the the least if we struck out on all but Whitt but in the end I don't care where we get the great players from as long as we can get a few.     

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: MGB1229 on March 18, 2014, 11:23:52 am
Jimmy Whitt is awesome.  Surely we they can find another really good guard to go with him if Allen falls through.  We have a nice crop coming in this year and all three can fill it up from the outside thank goodness.     

Whitt took notice via Twitter when SMU didn't make the dance. They'll be a player for him, as will Mizzou.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

So, if this turns out and we pulled in Beard, Babb, Hudson, Miles, Thompson in the 2014 class, our 2015 lineup would look like this (without the 2015 additions):

PG: Beard OR Durham
SG: Bell / Babb
SF: Qualls / Hudson
PF: Portis (if he stays) / Miles / Williams
C: Kingsley / Thompson

If Portis leaves, we will REALLY need to find a solid PF in the 2015 class. Problem is, I don't see where we are on any. Guards seems to be a heavy focus in 2015 class. Which is why I think this staff is hoping for Atwood so he can fill Portis's PF spot if he leaves.

imtad16

Iceman, in your opinion what are the chances Portis leaves after this season?

Hawg Red

Quote from: imtad16 on March 18, 2014, 12:24:35 pm

Not Iceman, but I would say next to no chance he leaves after this season. He knows he has work to do and he's not the type to be in the hurry to get to the NBA.

-Blu

I'm not iceman either, and I'd be completely shocked if he left.  It wouldn't make any sense.  This is a very strong draft class, with plenty of quality big men ahead of him, I would say absolute best case for him would be early second round, MAYBE late first round if he had some good workouts.  I think we will have Bobby for at least 2 years, possibly 3.  Like Hawg Red said, Bobby is not the type that's in a hurry to go to the NBA, he's not going to go until he's sure he's absolutely ready.  And I think he wants to be one of the great razorbacks before he leaves as well.  CMA has said numerous times, that was Bobby's goal.

The_Iceman

This season? None.
Next season? 50/50, depends on how he improves over the offseason.

I'll say this: if Bobby Portis leaves Arkansas after two years and we don't make an NCAA tournament appearance, I will be ticked at Mike.

Adam Stokes

The draft is far too loaded this year to want to enter.  A monkey wrench to think about as well is if the NBA were to raise the age limit to 20 within the next year, all the studs in the 2014 class will have to wait an extra year and the 2015 draft class will be one of the weakest in a long time.  If such is the case Bobby might very leave after next year.  If they were to have it apply to the 2016 class then that might be a good times to leave as well.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2014, 10:26:40 am
So wanting 35 MPG and 15 shots had nothing to do with it?

Just trying to pin-point the actual reason and figure out which excuse is the reason.

Something happened during his official visit.

Porkatarian out...

Porkatarian

From the best possible source, Portis will be back next season.

Porkatarian out...

Porkatarian

Our best shot from the above list is Jimmy Whitt.

Porkatarian out...

pigture perfect

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 18, 2014, 02:06:37 pm

From the best possible source, Portis will be back next season.

Porkatarian out...
lol. I don't know why I laughed at the way you phrased it. Maybe it will be that some people still won't understand.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The_Iceman

March 18, 2014, 02:31:48 pm #47 Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:49:43 pm by The_Iceman
We were Jalen's 2nd choice, but a lot has changed since then. Its also not guaranteed that he will de-commit from V-Tech.

Jalen looks like a kid that's ready to go. Been playing at a pretty high level for high school. He should transition quickly. I like his game a little better than Nick Babb. I saw a full game video of Babb from his junior year and saw some things I liked, and also some things he'll need to improve on. His shot isn't quite as smooth as Jalen's.

Both would be welcome additions though.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2014, 02:31:48 pm
We were Jalen's 2nd choice, but a lot has changed since then. Its also not guaranteed that he will de-commit from V-Tech.

Jalen looks like a kid that's ready to go. Been playing at a pretty high level for high school. He should transition quickly. I like his game a little better than Nick Babb. I saw a full game video of Babb from his junior year and saw some things I liked, and also some things he'll need to improve on. His shot isn't quite as smooth as Jalen's.

Both would be welcome additions though.

You got the link to the full game of Babb?  I'd be interested in watching.

mhuff