Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The offense next year

Started by hogsgolfpro, November 07, 2017, 02:37:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsgolfpro

could truly be the most explosive we have had in many years with the right play caller...someone who puts MULTIPLE weapons on the field at the same time to keep the defense honest...receivers will all be back (even Cornelius too I assume?) and much improved....plus a nice back like Whaley and pure speed from Hammonds/Hayden..misdirection and multiple looks could really create some fun in my opinion when you put all 3 or 2/3 on field at same time. Similar to McFadden/Jones/Hills days? Maybe not quite to THAT extent, but if CK can improve just a hair more, I think it gives the next head hog a heck of a start and tons of potential. Jury still out on the defense, but surely they have to improve somewhat!

212hawg

I think there's some truth to that.  The key crux of all that is the offensive line.  Additionally, I do think CK will discourage any one who wants a running QB.  Any sort of Chip Kelley or Scott Frost type.

Harleigh Hog

Hopefully Mike Norvell is licking his chops!

jst01

Quote from: 212hawg on November 07, 2017, 02:45:26 pm
The key crux of all that is the offensive line. 

Yes. Surely a decent O-line coach could come in here and improve that even a little bit in 1 offseason.  Simplify the crap out of it if you have to.

Al Boarland

lakecityhog

I honestly believe that if we hire a true spread type coach that likes the RPO/Dual Threat QB type of offense that CK and Storey and maybe even Hyatt will be 1 and done. A guy like Bohannon would probably be starting as a RS Freshman in year 2.

I could even see a De'vion Warren being moved back to his HS position of QB as early as the first year.

ipigsooie

CK would do well in the spread. Also, it was stated that Norvell will do well with these weapons, and i completely agree. He has 2 or 3 running backs on the field for a lot of plays and they all need to be able to run routes and catch passes. Hammonds would excel in this scheme as would Hayden. I think Whaley would be more of the traditional back in this offense. Also you dont have to have a running qb for this scheme. Dak Prescott is the perfect example. A big strong guy that can run when he needs to. Enough that the defense has to respect it, and i think Cole Kelley shares a lot in common with Dak. The line needs to shored up for sure but i agree that most of the pieces are in place.

PORKULATOR

Hogsgolfpro with the ace.
Nice Shot dude
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

I believe we really don't know what we actually have with the players we have.  A new strength and conditioning coach might develop totally different players out of some of these kids.  A HC with a plan developed toward using the kids to their strengths and energetic enough to actually care about the overall product and the desire to have a hands on approach could do wonder for this group.  We haven't seen that since Petrino.  Just for starters, I would hope to see a group of players working as a team.  I want them to be conditioned from the first game forward.  I want the staff to appear to know what they got on hand and go use it.  Just get out of these kids what they have.  I believe we had 8 win talent this year, likely 9 win talent last year and it might have been 9 or 10 win talent in 2015.  We could have, should have offered decent special teams every year but no, oh hell no.