Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 04:53:17 pm

Navy uniform

Started by the 1 and only, January 03, 2008, 04:21:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

the 1 and only

can someone tell me what the 3 stripes on the sleeve of the navy enlisted uniform represent
I know the 13 buttons on the pants are for the 13 colonies.
But not sure on the 3 stripes
molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

Dirty

If it's on the left shoulder it is E-3. 

Wash Hogwallop

Back in 1866, Navy Regulations held White piping on the collar was standardized to distinguish petty officers (three rows), ordinary seaman (two rows) and landsmen and boys (one row). Corresponding rows were displayed on the cuffs. White stars were standardized on the collar.

In WWII with ratings (job symbol) and Rank on the upper arm, the piping became redundant.  It was standardized as decoration and 3 rows of piping still remains.

Up to WWII, ranks/rating was placed on either left or right arm dependent on what duties you preformed.  i.e. Boswain's Mates left, Aerographer's Mates right.  So, If you ended up in a lifeboat with no officers . . . and there was a petty officer 3rd class Boswain Mate and a Petty Officer 1st class Aerographer's mate in the boat, you listened to the 3rd Class petty officer as far as the handling of the boat.  Positional Authority rocks eh.

With so many new jobs created it became a nightmare to assign these and the ratings/rank of all hands went to the left arm.

Hope this helps.

the 1 and only

Quote from: Joe Davis on January 08, 2008, 10:43:59 pm
Back in 1866, Navy Regulations held White piping on the collar was standardized to distinguish petty officers (three rows), ordinary seaman (two rows) and landsmen and boys (one row). Corresponding rows were displayed on the cuffs. White stars were standardized on the collar.

In WWII with ratings (job symbol) and Rank on the upper arm, the piping became redundant.  It was standardized as decoration and 3 rows of piping still remains.

Up to WWII, ranks/rating was placed on either left or right arm dependent on what duties you preformed.  i.e. Boswain's Mates left, Aerographer's Mates right.  So, If you ended up in a lifeboat with no officers . . . and there was a petty officer 3rd class Boswain Mate and a Petty Officer 1st class Aerographer's mate in the boat, you listened to the 3rd Class petty officer as far as the handling of the boat.  Positional Authority rocks eh.

With so many new jobs created it became a nightmare to assign these and the ratings/rank of all hands went to the left arm.

Hope this helps.

ty
molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

Porquemada

3 stripes on upper left shoulder = E-3. 3 stripes on lower sleeve = "hash" marks which represent # of 4 year enlistments or hitches, 3 stripes means at least 12 years of service.

Pigdiana Jones

We'll take it a step further, What do the gold chevrons mean, and gold stripes on bottom of the sleeve of left arm?

I know what they mean, I served 9 years in the Navy :) I just seeing what ya'll say for fun :P
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Wash Hogwallop

Gold is for Good conduct after the specified years of service have been reached.  They are red before that.

Pigdiana Jones

Quote from: Wash Hogwallop on January 15, 2008, 08:29:38 am
Gold is for Good conduct after the specified years of service have been reached.  They are red before that.

Yes, 12 consecutive years of good conduct w/o a NJP or higher against you.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

rtom

ex navy here...going some further....what do the different colors mean on the stripes on the upper left shoulder??    former patrol squadron (sub hunters) 56 here

Joe Davis (USS Razorback)

From E-1 to E-3

Red: Fireman
White: Seaman/Hospitalmen
Green: Airman
Blue: Constructionman

Petty Officer's are a uniform red, with Gold after 12 years of good conduct. (Dress Blues)

usnavyhogfan

have yall seen the new navy uniforms? blue digital cammies replacing the utilities (dungarees) khaki short sleeve shirt replaces the working blue shirt. aka johnny cashs. dress uniforms remain the same
The dream is free, the journey is not.

Quote from: the 1 and only on January 03, 2008, 04:21:43 pm
can someone tell me what the 3 stripes on the sleeve of the navy enlisted uniform represent
I know the 13 buttons on the pants are for the 13 colonies.
But not sure on the 3 stripes

The 13 button relation to the colonies is a myth.

When the uniform went to a broadfall flap instead of a tied string, they were made with 6 or seven buttons.  When the broadfall flap was made larger as sailors (and teh general population) became larger, they increased the number of buttons to 13 for both vanity (as not to allow the viewing of the sailors *ahem* marlinspike through the gaps) and for symmetry.

It does not sound as good as the colonies explanation, but it is in the Navy history.

rtom

my stripes started out white and quickly turned to green when i got to my squadron...was much more interesting being around the aircraft than being upstairs around all the paperwork..we flew P3C anti submarine warfare planes..first in the navy to fly the "C" model

Quote from: usnavyhogfan on April 14, 2008, 05:17:56 am
have yall seen the new navy uniforms? blue digital cammies replacing the utilities (dungarees) khaki short sleeve shirt replaces the working blue shirt. aka johnny cashs. dress uniforms remain the same

I consider myself a traditionalist.  With that said, the practicality of the digital camo over the dungarees has to be a great bonus to the sailors nowdays. 

When I was in the dungarees could not be worn out in town; period.  You could not stop for a burger in the drive through.  You could not get gasoline on the way to or from your watch.  You could drive from your residence to the base and back if you was wearing your dungarees . . . and as we worked in an office environment our dungarees were pressed and creased.  It did not matter.

The other bonus is you do not look like "Jake Blues" on his parole walk.

I have seen the brown shirt combo that replaced the johnny cashes and I am not wild about them.  Then again they do not make me cringe either.  I am indifferent I guess.

All I have to say about uniform changes is LEAVE THE DRESS UNIFORM(s) ALONE!

OahuHawg

Quote from: U.S.S. Razorback on April 14, 2008, 07:32:16 am
The 13 button relation to the colonies is a myth.

When the uniform went to a broadfall flap instead of a tied string, they were made with 6 or seven buttons.  When the broadfall flap was made larger as sailors (and teh general population) became larger, they increased the number of buttons to 13 for both vanity (as not to allow the viewing of the sailors *ahem* marlinspike through the gaps) and for symmetry.

It does not sound as good as the colonies explanation, but it is in the Navy history.

They always told us it was 13 chances for a woman to back out. :)

OahuHawg

Quote from: U.S.S. Razorback on April 15, 2008, 12:57:46 am
I consider myself a traditionalist.  With that said, the practicality of the digital camo over the dungarees has to be a great bonus to the sailors nowdays. 

When I was in the dungarees could not be worn out in town; period.  You could not stop for a burger in the drive through.  You could not get gasoline on the way to or from your watch.  You could drive from your residence to the base and back if you was wearing your dungarees . . . and as we worked in an office environment our dungarees were pressed and creased.  It did not matter.

The other bonus is you do not look like "Jake Blues" on his parole walk.

I have seen the brown shirt combo that replaced the johnny cashes and I am not wild about them.  Then again they do not make me cringe either.  I am indifferent I guess.

All I have to say about uniform changes is LEAVE THE DRESS UNIFORM(s) ALONE!

Yea I agree that the dress and the working whites and blues need  to be left alone but the dungs need to go....sorry salties. The Digi-blues are pretty sharp in IMO. The working short sleeved whites were my fav though. That definately pulled alot of tail as long as you weren't in a navy town. Like recruiting duty or TAD recruiting...yesssir.....sigh.....single life

usnavyhogfan

i like the working white and blues as well, only problem is the whites are impossible to keep clean but i do think they look better than the new khaki/black combo. i like the new camis but i think instead of blue they need to be different shades of grey. not a whole lot of blue on a ship.

Brownie Tuggle

I never liked the dungeree uniform. I was so glad to burn that thing during Chief's Initiation! Walked around the rest of the day in my skivies getting initiated.

usnavyhogfan

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on October 01, 2008, 10:44:44 am
I never liked the dungeree uniform. I was so glad to burn that thing during Chief's Initiation! Walked around the rest of the day in my skivies getting initiated.

cant wait till i make chief, too bad im not eligible for a couple years though

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: usnavyhogfan on October 03, 2008, 07:32:31 am

cant wait till i make chief, too bad im not eligible for a couple years though

Just keep chopping! You'll wear the Fouled Anchors when it's your time shipmate!!

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

My Navy work uniform was OD green.  I was a Diver, back in the 70's......

:razorback:
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

hawgrunner

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on October 01, 2008, 10:44:44 am
I never liked the dungeree uniform.

I still got a couple in my sea bag from the 80's. But it's up in the attic. :)

rtom

anyone know where i can find a pendant with the anchor with either usn on it or a ships wheel??