Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFL Combine

Started by CabotHog87, February 18, 2015, 10:31:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CabotHog87

SIAP, I checked the first page, may have overlooked it. Please merge if so.

Anyway, does anyone know the times for when our guys will be performing at the NFL combine?

GalaHawg

Derby getting measured today; bench press tomorrow; and work out on Friday

The other three --- measurements on Friday; bench press on Saturday; and work out on Sunday.

http://www.nflcombine.net/players/schedule/

jjdlc

Who all do we have that might get drafted this year?  Spaight, Philon, Derby, anyone else?  Is Irwin-Hill going to try for the NFL, or is he headed back to Australia?

ricepig

Quote from: jjdlc on February 18, 2015, 05:48:14 pm
Who all do we have that might get drafted this year?  Spaight, Philon, Derby, anyone else?  Is Irwin-Hill going to try for the NFL, or is he headed back to Australia?

Some guy named Flowers might have a chance.....

jjdlc

Quote from: ricepig on February 18, 2015, 05:53:03 pm
Some guy named Flowers might have a chance.....

Duh, can't believe I forgot to add him to the list.  Anyone else?  Brey Cook maybe?

hogfan14

Derby measured in at 6'4, 255 with 30 1/2 inch arms and 9 1/2 inch hands

bennyl08

Quote from: jjdlc on February 18, 2015, 06:01:20 pm
Duh, can't believe I forgot to add him to the list.  Anyone else?  Brey Cook maybe?

Flowers, Spaight. Philon, Derby, Cook, Irwin-Hill, Mitchel, in that order IMO.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

February 19, 2015, 04:57:41 pm #7 Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:39:07 pm by bennyl08
I know there's already a combine page, this way can edit and update the post for results.

AJ Derby: 6'4, 255, size on par with the rest of the TE's at the combine
arms: 30.5", some of the shortest arms
hands: 9.5", on the shorter side, but not too small to be a negative
Bench: 15 reps, second fewest reps on the bench (14), which goes with his weakness at blocking. However, most were in the 17-12 range so he isn't THAT far behind the others. The highest was 28, and only 3 did more than 21.
A foot fracture was found during the medical examinations so he didn't compete in any other drills :(

Martrell Spaight: 6' 236, a bit short, but his weight is mostly on par. Keep in mind the range in LB size 225 to 284 reflecting a variety of positions
arms: 32 3/4", he is short, but his arms are on par with the taller guys
hands: 9 1/8", not big but nothing too bad either
forty: 4.88, 1.72 10 yard split, his overall forty time was definitely near the bottom of the group, and only 3 players had a slower 10 yard split (2 of which also had a slower forty time).
bench: 25, near the top of the class.
vert: 35", also very good.
broad: 10', also also very good.
3-cone: 7.66, the worst by a solid .07 seconds and was nearly a full second behind the first place.

Trey Flowers: 6'2" 266, lighter than he was listed here, but only by an inch and 4 pounds, on the lighter and shorter end of the spectrum
arms: 34 1/4", very good arm length, near the top
hands: 10", also very good.
forty: 4.93, 1.74 10 yard split. Those numbers were way down from what would be expected of him. Almost everybody near his weight did about 0.2 tenths better in the overall, and his 10 yard split was about on par with the 300 pounders.
Bench: 28, his reps on the bench were near the top and particularly good for somebody his size.
Vert: 36.5", that ranks as the 5th highest for DL, out jumping many people lighter than him (of the 4 above, only 1 was significantly lighter though).
Broad: 10'1", wow. 2nd best among DL, and anything over 10 feet is good regardless of what position you play. With his vert and his broad jump combined with tape, this is a very explosive guy, but man that did not show up in his forty time at all.
3-cone: 7.34, also very near the top of the group of DL, well w/in the top 3rd. However, when you look at size vs speed, many guys around 290 to 300 did similar to him, most near his size did similar or a bit better. He didn't beat out many guys smaller than him.
20-yard shuffle: 4.40, here he is even closer to the top and did do pretty well relative to his peers of similar size.
60 yard shuffle: 12.03, not many others competed in this, but he was about in the middle of those who did.

Darius Philon: 6'1" 298, a lot heavier than anybody expected
arms: 32 3/8", about average
hands: 9.5", pretty good
forty: 5.00 1.82 10 yard split, I originally expected a lot faster, but then, I expected him to weigh in about 20 pounds less as well. Relative to others near his size, he did pretty average. Not a bad number for his size, also not eye popping. The 10 yard split was really bad with only 5 people having worse numbers, 4 of whom weighed at least 320.
bench: 26 yeps, Pretty good for his size, definitely in the top half for those who are bigger, but not enough to set him apart either.
Vert: 31", kind of the opposite of his bench numbers. He's in the back half of the group, but 31" is still a solid number for a guy his size and isn't really a negative.
broad: 8'11", pretty much the same as vertical. In the back half of the group, but also nothing to raise concern.
3-cone: 8.00, this is really, really bad. The fourth worst of the DL. Of the guys who ran slower, one is 40 pounds bigger, the other 30, the third was only 10 pounds bigger but put up absolutely terrible numbers across the board.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ArmyOfnobunaga

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

bennyl08

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 19, 2015, 05:05:39 pm
http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker for the official page.

http://walterfootball.com/combine2015TE.php

this guy gives a bit more and in a easy to view table.

thanks man. I guess I should have used google.

cheers
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

ar_hog_fan

Bump. Any updates on how the hogs are doing in their respective groups?

rpmflash

Razorback Football ‏@RazorbackFB  3h3 hours ago
TE @AJ_Derby measured in at 6-4, 255 at the NFL Scouting Combine. He takes the field tomorrow for his on-field workout #WoooPig

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Steef

The combine is NOW, guys.

Let's call those Hogs!!

Edit....oops.  My bad. Just saw a second thread.

Merged and stickied.

Good job to both OPs...Cabot & Benny.

3kgthog

Derby certainly has potential despite no eyepopping measurables. One need look no further than his catch and run against Bama where he obliterated the Bama DBs on his own. He's just athletic enough to be quietly effective.

I think Spaight is going to rise simply due to his interviews and his production on film. You want a guy like that on your defense, especially when you can get him relatively cheap and know that he'll be in the film room, weight room, and take care of business off the field.

dacskc

I've been watching the TEs work out this morning and haven't seen Derby at all. Does anyone know if he's not participating?

ricepig

Quote from: dacskc on February 20, 2015, 12:59:06 pm
I've been watching the TEs work out this morning and haven't seen Derby at all. Does anyone know if he's not participating?

Medical exam showed a stress fracture in his foot.

ricepig

DT @dukephilon_07 checked into the NFL Scouting Combine at 6-1, 298 pounds today. His workout is Sunday #WPS

Guinness Snout

Rice I was just about to post that about Philon.  He def checked in bigger than most thought he would.  Hope that helps him out.  I think he would be a good 3tech in someones 4-3 scheme.

TexHog188

Any idea if Derby can workout at the hogs Pro day?
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

B501

Quote from: TexHog188 on February 20, 2015, 06:52:06 pm
Any idea if Derby can workout at the hogs Pro day?

ive had the same injury and was walking gingerly for about 5 weeks. the hogs pro day was in march last year - should give him plenty of time to recover hopefully

MS_HogFan

Quote from: b501 on February 21, 2015, 12:44:30 am
ive had the same injury and was walking gingerly for about 5 weeks. the hogs pro day was in march last year - should give him plenty of time to recover hopefully

I could be wrong but I think the stress fracture was from a long time ago. Not something that happened while he was at the combine.  I'm not sure what he has to do to heal it. Surgery, extended rest?
SOOIE

LaDecima

Trey ran a 4.94 (unofficial) and did 28 reps on bench.

Guinness Snout

Philon unofficial 5.03

swinesation

Quote from: LaDecima on February 22, 2015, 08:44:43 am
Trey ran a 4.94 (unofficial) and did 28 reps on bench.

That seems slow for Flowers.

Carl Lazlo

Spaight 4.9 forty

He had a bad start and slowed up a bit a yard before finishing.  He needs to be at least 4.7

Guinness Snout

Spaight 4.88 40yd dash; 25 reps @ z225

bennyl08

Bump: Full performances from players updated.

Trend among our players is that they do well in the bench and the jumps, but all 3 guys who participated (Derby excluded due to his injury) did very bad in the running drills. Guys who stood out as being very explosive on tape had numbers indicative of being viscous at the combine here.

bennyl08

Some words from scouts on Philon.

From Matt Miller:

QuoteCombine interviews may be the most important part of the event for players, and three teams I spoke with have since told me that Arkansas redshirt sophomore Darius Philon was the worst interview of the process for them. He reportedly came off as immature, uninterested and even combative.

From Lance Zielein:

Quote"Outstanding burst and quickness off the snap. Penetrator with ability to make plays on the other side of the line if he wins early. Able to blow up zone plays with quickness. Plays with desired bend. Uses rip to establish advantage on edge and then plays with leverage to maintain his position through the play. High school defensive end who brings more advanced hand usage and pass-rush moves to the interior spot. Has athleticism to mirror and help contain quarterbacks thinking of bolting from pocket. Plus speed to the sideline in pursuit."

lefty08

Maybe that's why he didn't wanna hang around college, assuming this is accurate
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

bennyl08

Quote from: lefty08 on March 28, 2015, 01:40:58 pm
Maybe that's why he didn't wanna hang around college, assuming this is accurate

One has to keep in mind, the negative quote is coming from only 3 teams. It only takes one 1 team to like him. That said, to be remembered as the worst interview out of the hundreds that these teams did is pretty impressive in a bad way. Plus, it wasn't like he was a high profile player coming into the combine. I.e. you might be more likely to remember Amari Cooper's interview than a 6th round WR's. Could further explain he went ahead and decided to leave early.

jackflash

I think the key for all of them will be when teams bring in for workouts. Those will be the teams interested in them. The key will be the system their ask to play

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 19, 2015, 05:05:39 pm
http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker for the official page.

http://walterfootball.com/combine2015TE.php

this guy gives a bit more and in a easy to view table.

Thanks for that link, very nice setup for all that data.

One player who jumps off the page is Chris Conley WR from Georgia. 4.35, 45 inch vert, 11'7 broad, at 6'2 213. Those are numbers that will certainly have a number of teams drooling.

bennyl08

Quote from: jackflash on March 28, 2015, 09:18:03 pm
I think the key for all of them will be when teams bring in for workouts. Those will be the teams interested in them. The key will be the system their ask to play

Maybe. A lot of teams use those workouts as smoke screens. They work out guys they have no intention of drafting and never bring in the guy they actually plan on. Granted, I'm not sure how much of that goes on with the later prospects. Patriots are one of the worst at that though, or best.