Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jerry World trade-out

Started by TPS_Report, September 26, 2017, 11:45:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jgphillips3

I liked it, but I would prefer to make it home and Home and maybe schedule a Big 12, B1G or PAC12 team in Jerry World instead.

hogfan58

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 26, 2017, 07:19:43 pm
The A&M game in Jerry's World benefits Arkansas. Period.  End of story.

How exactly?
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

DeltaBoy

Jerry Pays TAMU well too.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

factchecker

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2017, 03:02:18 pm
Jerry Pays TAMU well too.

When is the last time he donated $10.65 million to the Aggies?

http://news.uark.edu/articles/26363/jones-family-makes-10-65-million-gift-to-razorback-athletics

QuoteFAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Former Razorback football student-athlete and member of Arkansas' 1964 national championship football team, Jerry Jones and his wife, Gene, have made a gift of $10.65 million to Razorback Athletics, it was announced Wednesday.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hoggish1

At first it was fine before aTm entered the league,opened the check book AND ruined our advantage in making the case we were the closest SEC team to Texas.  Before aTm came in, I thought the exposure in TX was a good thing—and we beat them.

Flash forward:  We can't afford to play an "away game" on our "home date" with aTm in JerryWorld—disadvantage having them always have a home game and we always have an away date.  The SEC games are that important.

So, I'd rather play them in TX. every other year.  I also don't think playing a TX team these days is as important as most thought it was.

BroyledNutts

Lose at home, lose away, lose at Jerry World ... the where doesn't really matter when the result is the same...

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 27, 2017, 03:12:17 pm
At first it was fine before aTm entered the league,opened the check book AND ruined our advantage in making the case we were the closest SEC team to Texas.  Before aTm came in, I thought the exposure in TX was a good thing—and we beat them.

Flash forward:  We can't afford to play an "away game" on our "home date" with aTm in JerryWorld—disadvantage having them always have a home game and we always have an away date.  The SEC games are that important.

So, I'd rather play them in TX. every other year.  I also don't think playing a TX team these days is as important as most thought it was.

Dallas is aTm's home? Our largest alumni base outside of Arkansas is in Dallas, it's about football and student recruiting, plus we make good money. I don't have a problem going home and home, but I bet they let the contract run out through 2024.

DemiHOG

Since it's obviously not helping recruiting I am in favor of home and home

ricepig

Quote from: DemiHOG on September 27, 2017, 03:20:55 pm
Since it's obviously not helping recruiting I am in favor of home and home

Well until Wren decommitted, 33% of this class was from the greater Dallas area, now down to 27%.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2017, 03:26:00 pm
Well until Wren decommitted, 33% of this class was from the greater Dallas area, now down to 27%.

You bringing facts in here again? You know you can't be relying on no facts around here when we got so many opinions, that we want to use as facts.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

HeathWimp

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 26, 2017, 07:19:43 pm
The A&M game in Jerry's World benefits Arkansas. Period.  End of story.

How so?  Could you give some detail?
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

ricepig

Quote from: HeathWimp on September 27, 2017, 03:42:55 pm

Money, largest alumni base outside of Arkansas, recruiting;  both students and athletes, shall I go on?

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2017, 04:04:51 pm
Money, largest alumni base outside of Arkansas, recruiting;  both students and athletes, shall I go on?

I don't buy it as a recruiting advantage.  I'd rather have the OV's.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2017, 04:12:05 pm
I don't buy it as a recruiting advantage.  I'd rather have the OV's.

We get the kids to this game, and then we can get them on an official later in the season, or afterwards? How many Dallas area kids do you think would have made it to Fayetteville for an 11AM start?

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2017, 04:30:03 pm
We get the kids to this game, and then we can get them on an official later in the season, or afterwards? How many Dallas area kids do you think would have made it to Fayetteville for an 11AM start?

I mean, they usually come in Friday night, anyway.  They get to bring their parents.  They can actually see the campus.  When we first got the Jerry World deal, it was unique.  Now it seems like everybody's got a game at an NFL stadium.  It's just not that big a deal, anymore.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2017, 04:32:17 pm
I mean, they usually come in Friday night, anyway.  They get to bring their parents.  They can actually see the campus.  When we first got the Jerry World deal, it was unique.  Now it seems like everybody's got a game at an NFL stadium.  It's just not that big a deal, anymore.

They don't if they are playing Friday night. Most kids come up Saturday, unless they played Thursday night, like in Texas where they share stadiums with other schools. I don't think it's that big of a hindrance, and won't be with WMS being eliminated.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2017, 04:37:02 pm
They don't if they are playing Friday night. Most kids come up Saturday, unless they played Thursday night, like in Texas where they share stadiums with other schools. I don't think it's that big of a hindrance, and won't be with WMS being eliminated.

They usually come on off weeks.  Some do come in on Saturdays.

And yes, WMS being eliminated will help.  I'd rather save Jerry World for big OOC games, though. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2017, 04:41:20 pm
They usually come on off weeks.  Some do come in on Saturdays.

And yes, WMS being eliminated will help.  I'd rather save Jerry World for big OOC games, though. 

Well, not every state has built in off weeks. Florida does, I don't know who else does. Pool visited for TCU because he played on a Thursday night, while Noland probably won't take his until he is on campus. I just think we'll run the course of the contract, unless we can get something out of it.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2017, 04:57:04 pm
Well, not every state has built in off weeks. Florida does, I don't know who else does. Pool visited for TCU because he played on a Thursday night, while Noland probably won't take his until he is on campus. I just think we'll run the course of the contract, unless we can get something out of it.

You're probably right.  I'm just saying if I had my druthers.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 27, 2017, 05:19:14 pm
You're probably right.  I'm just saying if I had my druthers.

Druth away.......

RebelliousHog

I don't like the game in Dallas because it feels like a permanent home game for TAMU.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

ricepig

Quote from: HenduHog on September 27, 2017, 06:28:15 pm
I don't like the game in Dallas because it feels like a permanent home game for TAMU.

If the stadium is split 50/50, why do you feel that way?

bphi11ips

Quote from: HeathWimp on September 27, 2017, 03:42:55 pm

Well, got a pretty good assist from rice.  He's better at 140 word replies than I am.

There are so many advantages to playing A&M in Dallas every year over home-and-home it's difficult to know where to start.  Notice I said EVERY year.

Every year is important because it means we don't have to go to College Station every other year and play in front of 100,000 Aggie fans.  Arkansas can fill half of AT&T Stadium every year.  It is truly a neutral game.  In even numbered years we get Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, and one more conference game at home.  With A&M in Dallas, that's three true conference road games.  Those are the years we need to focus on winning division championships.  We have to beat Alabama and LSU to do it anyway, or at least that's how we need to think about it.

Arkansas has relied heavily on Texas recruits at least since Frank Broyles arrived in Fayetteville, probably more than on Arkansas recruits.  7.2 million people live in the DFW metroplex.  That's 240% of the entire population of Arkansas within a five hour drive of the campus.  Norman is three hours; Stillwater is four; Lubbock is five.

Oklahoma has played Texas in Dallas for over 100 years.  OU, the AP's number one ranked program in college football history, built it's foundation on Dallas.  Texas leads the all-time series, though, 65-45-5.  Conference affiliation has not changed the site of the game.  OU knows where its bread is buttered.

Playing in AT&T Stadium, probably the best known modern football venue in the United States, built by the owner of the Dallas Cowboys and a former player on Arkansas's national championship team, is pure gold from a recruiting standpoint.  Doesn't matter where the recruit is from.  He will play there 3 to 5 times if he goes to Arkansas. 

Arkansas's student population has always been built heavily on DFW.  Its alumni chapter there is huge.  The UofA's explosive growth is largely due to north Texas and DFW.  Football is the front porch of the university.

Compare the advantages of a long-term annual game in Dallas against a marquee opponent in a rivalry game to a home-and-home conference game and the choice is a no-brainer.  Especially when folks like Mike Irwin tell us Jeff Long doesn't think he can sell Fayetteville, which must rely heavily on long distance travel, more than six times a year.

Arkansas should hope that A&M will agree to extend the current contract.  Not sure they will, because it benefits the Hogs more than it does them, regardless of who is currently on a winning streak. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rogersvillemohog on September 26, 2017, 01:16:01 pm
The only way I'd be okay with dumping the game against A&M in Dallas would be if they give up playing LSU on Thursday and let our game with them get back to it's regularly scheduled Friday after Thanksgiving slot. This is the all time dream scenario, imo:

A&M game will go to home-and-home as Arkansas and LSU play again on Friday after Thanksgiving. Texas stops being a bunch of whiney b-words and starts playing A&M on Thanksgiving ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: . Move the Arkansas-Missouri to sometime around Halloween (ala Tennessee-Bama), and get Missouri and Kansas to heal their wounds by playing their annual game in Kansas City to end the season every year.

This is where the whole Jerry World thing starts to get fun. I guarantee that Jerry wants Arkansas playing a game a year in that stadium and could give a rip who the opponent is. I would like to see Arkansas play either an old Southwest Conference opponent on the regular and maybe throw in and old traditional non-conference rival like Oklahoma State every few years. Make it like those kickoff classics, except schedule it for the first weekend of the Texas State fair. Let's play devil's advocate and say this would start next year.

2018: Arkansas vs Texas
2019: Arkansas vs Baylor
2020: Arkansas vs Oklahoma State
2021: Arkansas vs Texas Tech
2022: Arkansas vs Houston
2023: Arkansas vs SMU
2025: Arkansas vs Oklahoma

yadda, yadda, yadda... I'm sure it's a pipe dream, but man would I love to play Texas there on a regular basis.
love everything about the idea, but id be down with it being vs Texas or vs Oklahoma every year in jerry world.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogfan58

Quote from: factchecker on September 27, 2017, 03:01:13 pm
The millions donated to our athletic department.

Show me the quote where Jerry said he donated the $$ for these because we played the game in his stadium. Or the quote where he said if we hadn't played there, he wouldn't have.

Show me quotes from ALL the recruits from DFW we've gotten that said the reason they came to the UA was because we played A&M at the Jerry World.

You do know that the 2nd largest alumni base in Texas for A&M is DFW, right?

You do know that attendance for the game has gone down every year, right? Neither fan base wants to play the game there anymore....and are proving it by not going.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

HotlantaHog

1. It's good for recruiting Texas.
2. It's an awesome stadium that the players like having an opportunity to play in.

Wildhog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 28, 2017, 03:21:13 pm
1. It's good for recruiting Texas.
2. It's an awesome stadium that the players like having an opportunity to play in.

Until this year, our Texas recruiting has been pretty terrible.  And that's mainly due to Paul Rhoads being an absolute stud at recruiting DB's from there.
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote from: hogfan58 on September 28, 2017, 06:26:29 am
You do know that attendance for the game has gone down every year, right?

2009 - 71,872
2010 - 65,622 down from previous year
2011 - 69,838 up from previous year
2012 @ College Station
2013 @ Fayetteville
2014 - 68,113 down from 2011
2015 - 67,339 down from previous year
2016 - 67,751 up from previous year
2017 - 64,668 down from previous year
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogfan58

Quote from: factchecker on September 28, 2017, 07:31:57 pm
2009 - 71,872
2010 - 65,622 down from previous year
2011 - 69,838 up from previous year
2012 @ College Station
2013 @ Fayetteville
2014 - 68,113 down from 2011
2015 - 67,339 down from previous year
2016 - 67,751 up from previous year
2017 - 64,668 down from previous year

actual people in the stadium or tickets sold?

NO WAY there were 64,668 in the stadium last week.

I have no idea what the attendance will be for NMST tomorrow, but whatever the announced is, I won't believe it. Tix sold, yes; people in the seats, no.

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan58 on September 29, 2017, 06:12:31 am
actual people in the stadium or tickets sold?

NO WAY there were 64,668 in the stadium last week.

I have no idea what the attendance will be for NMST tomorrow, but whatever the announced is, I won't believe it. Tix sold, yes; people in the seats, no.

Announced crowd includes tickets sold, media, staff, workers, and everyone in the stadium. It hasn't been butts in the seats for years.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2017, 07:07:43 pm

That's just the feeling I get. Since it IS in Tejas and TAMU and their Rotcy minions are in Tejas, it feels like a home game for them. Didn't say it WAS. Just feels.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

RebelliousHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2017, 07:07:43 pm

That's just the feeling I get. Since it IS in Tejas and TAMU and their Rotcy minions are in Tejas, it feels like a home game for them. Didn't say it WAS. Just feels.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: factchecker on September 27, 2017, 03:07:24 pm
When is the last time he donated $10.65 million to the Aggies?

http://news.uark.edu/articles/26363/jones-family-makes-10-65-million-gift-to-razorback-athletics
ok, now we need a little over $4M more and "the buyout" of BB is complete. LOL

ricepig

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 30, 2017, 08:59:31 am
ok, now we need a little over $4M more and "the buyout" of BB is complete. LOL

He donated land, have you purchased it from the Foundation?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Sed76 on September 26, 2017, 12:49:09 pm
I'd be fine with rotating out all the old SWC schools every few years and still calling it the Southwest Classic.
Damn fine solution. That gives them a couple of years to start lining up teams.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.