Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs are no.1 in sec for...

Started by razorbacker3, February 09, 2017, 08:20:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan58

No one is saying we have to be Baylor, but why are we trying to on par or better than Vandy? How about we still have a good players GPA, which might mean we bring in players that may not be honor roll students, but might be better players.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

logic

Quote from: King Kong on February 09, 2017, 08:22:16 am
Vandy is so pissed right now
I doubt that.  The average Vandy student is in the top 3% of those taking the ACT.  The Average U of A student is in the top 15% of those taking the ACT.  Therefore, since the average GPA is about the same 3.1 UofA vs 3.2 Vandy only 20% of the UofA students (3%/15%) would make a 3.0 average if courses were as difficult and graded the same as Vandy.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: razorbacker3 on February 09, 2017, 08:20:57 am
its 2016 Academic Honor Roll for fall sports. To qualify, football players had to maintain a 3.00 grade average for the 2016 Spring, Summer and Fall semesters.
Arkansas had 39 players, at least 4 more than any other school!

I am proud for our Football team's academics but I would of been even more prouder if we had won our last 2 games showing me we have this team on the right road to becoming a national program again.

navyhog24

Great. They have good GPA's. Do you all realize how easy it it to maintain a 3.0 in their situation? They are more or less "spoon fed" or "hand held" along the way? I have a Master's in EE. These players have it a lot easier than some think when it comes to their academics, and I am proud of them for doing well in the classroom.

That being said, they are here to play football as well. They are given that free education to play a game. Quite frankly, they stunk it up on the field.

Their Head Coach and AD are paid millions to put a better product on the field. They are not performing to standards. I know Jeff Long has quite lower or different expectations than what fans expect.

DeltaBoy

its 2016 Academic Honor Roll for fall sports. To qualify, football players had to maintain a 3.00 grade average for the 2016 Spring, Summer and Fall semesters.

Wow we beat out Vandy so the destruction is complete.  We are now only focused on making money and beating Vandy for academic awards.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: King Kong on February 09, 2017, 08:22:16 am
Vandy is so pissed right now

Yeah.
Because taking the exact same class under different professors is the exact same in difficulty and experience.
/sarcasm
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 10, 2017, 09:07:23 am
Great. They have good GPA's. Do you all realize how easy it it to maintain a 3.0 in their situation? They are more or less "spoon fed" or "hand held" along the way? I have a Master's in EE. These players have it a lot easier than some think when it comes to their academics, and I am proud of them for doing well in the classroom.

That being said, they are here to play football as well. They are given that free education to play a game. Quite frankly, they stunk it up on the field.

Their Head Coach and AD are paid millions to put a better product on the field. They are not performing to standards. I know Jeff Long has quite lower or different expectations than what fans expect.
Do you have a player in the system?  Do you have any idea how many hours are dedicated daily to athletics and academics?  I happen to.  He's a dual major history and political science in the pre-law track.  Carrying a 3.9. Nothing has been spoon fed to him and no one is holding his hand.  He's putting in 12-15 hour days for academics and athletics.  To belittle his or any other player's academic accomplishments is an uniformed, ignorant statement. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hogsanity

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 10, 2017, 09:30:19 am
an uniformed, ignorant statement. 

the building blocks of message boards
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

woodrow hog call

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 10, 2017, 09:07:23 am

Did you get a minor in mind reading or has Long explained his "lower expectations " to you personally?
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Biggus Piggus

Let's make sure we piss all over any good developments, OK? Don't want them getting in the way of the negativity.
[CENSORED]!

al_pigcino

lol @ thinking a coach at a school level is here to "just win"

KennyForAD

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 09, 2017, 04:43:48 pm
SA's receive a ton of extra benefits that normal paying students who make the same grades don't receive. 

And your Baylor comment is laughable.

No it isn't.  He made an excellent point and used Baylor as an extreme example.    Baylor cared so much more about winning football games than anything else that they didn't care that some of the players were raping the female students at their school, and they were willing to vilify the rape victims and protect the rapists - so they could ... win football games.   

The truth is that all major college football programs are closer to being Baylor (the worst of all time) than they are to being true college athletics.  I'm glad to see Arkansas making grades and taking a stride in the right direction - but really, its perfume on a Hog in the grand scheme of things. 

bennyl08

Quote from: hogfan58 on February 10, 2017, 06:35:46 am
No one is saying we have to be Baylor, but why are we trying to on par or better than Vandy? How about we still have a good players GPA, which might mean we bring in players that may not be honor roll students, but might be better players.

Umm, what do you think we have been doing? Have you paid attention to recruiting? We aren't recruiting to beat Vandy in the classroom. We are recruiting to beat Bama on the field. We are developing those players to work hard and be responsible human beings. A side effect of that is they work hard and take care of business on the classroom as well as on the field.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LJHOG

oh great! does this mean we have taken the Winning Life title from Tennessee??

SemperHawg

Quote from: KennyForAD on February 10, 2017, 10:42:16 am
No it isn't.  He made an excellent point and used Baylor as an extreme example.    Baylor cared so much more about winning football games than anything else that they didn't care that some of the players were raping the female students at their school, and they were willing to vilify the rape victims and protect the rapists - so they could ... win football games.   

The truth is that all major college football programs are closer to being Baylor (the worst of all time) than they are to being true college athletics.  I'm glad to see Arkansas making grades and taking a stride in the right direction - but really, its perfume on a Hog in the grand scheme of things. 
Comparing raping women to a kid making a B instead of an A and being on the academic all america team is again, laughable. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: LJHOG on February 10, 2017, 12:36:00 pm
oh great! does this mean we have taken the Winning Life title from Tennessee??

No because our kids don't have 5 star hearts.

Al Boarland

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 10, 2017, 09:30:19 am
Do you have a player in the system?  Do you have any idea how many hours are dedicated daily to athletics and academics?  I happen to.  He's a dual major history and political science in the pre-law track.  Carrying a 3.9. Nothing has been spoon fed to him and no one is holding his hand.  He's putting in 12-15 hour days for academics and athletics.  To belittle his or any other player's academic accomplishments is an uniformed, ignorant statement.
Great post. I'm sure you're situation is the outlier. Most SA's in bball and football take the easy path.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 10, 2017, 02:05:23 pm
Great post. I'm sure you're situation is the outlier. Most SA's in bball and football take the easy path.

Source?

Al Boarland

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 02:09:57 pm
Source?
Arkansas Football program. It's not a knock. Many wouldn't even be in college if not for their abilities. Any degree gives them the opporunity to increase their lifetime earnings.

bennyl08

Source?

Not sure if this is what he was going for, but you do see a high number of business and communications majors on a football team which are widely renowned as two of the easiest degrees out there. However, they are also popular degrees among the general student body as well, for the same reasons. You don't find many STEM majors on a football team, and if there are, it's almost always going to be biology. Feel like the general student body has a few more STEM majors proportionately, but again, a lot go into biology. The biggest difference is that you see proportionately a lot more majors in kinesiology or sports management etc... Basically sports related fields.

Now, if he's talking about taking the easy path as in getting good grades due to cheating/bending the rules, that's a different story. That sort of thing does happen and I'd be shocked if it hasn't happened here at Arkansas. However, for most schools and most players, that doesn't happen. For example, at the University of Oregon, I've know several grad students talk about having football players in their lab who never show up to lab, but they aren't allowed to enter in those specific player's grades despite that being their job and grading and submitting everybody else's. Then at the end of the term, magically the missing football player has a good grade. Of course, same school, other's have experience where the player did come in, wasn't the sharpest tool, but was engaged and worked very hard. Cut over to Oregon State, and with a lower prestige football program, there isn't to my knowledge any grade cheating that goes on.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SemperHawg

Source?
I would think he is referring to the vast majority of SA's who aren't double majors and have pre law aspirations.  Lot of criminology majors out there.

thebignasty

I wish otr were here. "Are our players too smart to play winning football" could be his opus.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: thebignasty on February 10, 2017, 02:42:25 pm
I wish otr were here. "Are our players too smart to play winning football" could be his opus.

Jack Blasingame would recruit only from kids that rode the short bus, and he'd WIN, by golly.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

gchamblee

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 10, 2017, 07:51:34 am
I am proud for our Football team's academics but I would of been even more prouder if we had won our last 2 games showing me we have this team on the right road to becoming a national program again.

This comment was made in a thread discussing academics. Irony.

thebignasty

Big brains mean big heads, and have you ever tried stuffing a big'un in a helmet? Mighty uncomfortable. Hard to focus on football with a big sore head.

Razorbackers

So no sources, then.

Got it.

This thread keeps getting better and better!

thebignasty

I mean, we don't want stupid players either. Nice solid 2.5 GPA guys.  Average.  Kinda guy that needs just a little help spelling kinesiology when he declares his major. That's the kind of academics championships are built on. Sorry you sore heads can't get your big ole brains around that.

Wildhog

Quote from: thebignasty on February 10, 2017, 02:55:09 pm
I mean, we don't want stupid players either. Nice solid 2.5 GPA guys.  Average.  Kinda guy that needs just a little help spelling kinesiology when he declares his major. That's the kind of academics championships are built on. Sorry you sore heads can't get your big ole brains around that.

Juuuust dumb enough to win.  :)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 02:50:52 pm
So no sources, then.

Got it.

This thread keeps getting better and better!
Someone actually posted it a couple months back showing everyone's major but the thread wound up getting deleted. I'll leave you to conclude why that is.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Razorbackers

Quote from: thebignasty on February 10, 2017, 02:55:09 pm

Razorbackers

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 10, 2017, 03:00:46 pm
Someone actually posted it a couple months back showing everyone's major but the thread wound up getting deleted. I'll leave you to conclude why that is.

Them majoring in something proves they're taking the easy path?

Or is that an assumption based off people's broad idea of education and academia?

My point being, just because someone is majoring in "business" or "communication" or some other field does not mean they're taking the "easy path".

gchamblee

An athlete doesn't need to make poor grades to have success on the field. Grades and wins/losses are not linked. A reasonable fan would want their teams to excel at both. It takes a shallow mind to reach the conclusion that if you fall short at one you should quit trying at the other. I would say the team got a C on the field this past year and it appears they got an A in the classroom. Good for them getting the A. It is foolish to criticize the A in the classroom out of frustration over the C on the field.

Also, the mods of this site should be embarrassed that they are allowing the riff raff run rampant to the point that one of the players parents is reaching a boiling point. I know your desire is to achieve the most clicks possible, but are you going to be happy with what's left when people like players parents, players, media members and other desirable members move to a different platform or site? I've seen Mike Irwin practically lose his mind over the stupidity that is allowed to exist in perpetuity here. Richard Davenport isn't around as much any more (other factors) and I have seen him lose his cool over it as well. It seems that there are about 10 posters that are allowed to trash every single thread on this board without repercussion, and once they get posters to become frustrated and retaliate the retaliation is punished.

FOTH, as a razorback fan I apologize for your exposure to this crap. I apologize that this is literally the only viable online message board for razorbacks and your choices are do without or endure this ridiculous and relentless attack on what your son is trying to accomplish in his life. I take pride in what your son is trying to accomplish, and what he has accomplished to date. You and your family have my support and gratitude.

gchamblee

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 03:03:33 pm

Or is that an assumption based off people's broad idea of education and academia?

My point being, just because someone is majoring in "business" or "communication" or some other field does not mean they're taking the "easy path".

I always assumed athletes chose communication because it was a degree that would help them find a path to the booth or some position within the sport that holds a microphone. If you love the sport and would like to have a career in it once the playing stops, wouldn't communications be a solid degree to posses?

Razorbackers

Quote from: gchamblee on February 10, 2017, 03:07:33 pm
I always assumed athletes chose communication because it was a degree that would help them find a path to the booth or some position within the sport that holds a microphone. If you love the sport and would like to have a career in it once the playing stops, wouldn't communications be a solid degree to posses?

Communications is an incredibly flexible degree, and is a good choice for a bachelors if you don't have any other specific path in mind. Most bachelor's degrees are pretty general anyway, and a Comms degree opens up the door to everything from Public Affairs, Marketing, Teaching, Coaching, Sales, Media, and other things. Also, it leaves a path for further education. Not uncommon to see someone with a Comms BA and a Master's in something else.

It's a good field for someone who isn't interested in STEM.

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 10, 2017, 03:00:46 pm

Easy to find, everyone's major is in their bio on the roster page on http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on February 10, 2017, 03:04:12 pm
An athlete doesn't need to make poor grades to have success on the field. Grades and wins/losses are not linked. A reasonable fan would want their teams to excel at both. It takes a shallow mind to reach the conclusion that if you fall short at one you should quit trying at the other. I would say the team got a C on the field this past year and it appears they got an A in the classroom. Good for them getting the A. It is foolish to criticize the A in the classroom out of frustration over the C on the field.

Also, the mods of this site should be embarrassed that they are allowing the riff raff run rampant to the point that one of the players parents is reaching a boiling point. I know your desire is to achieve the most clicks possible, but are you going to be happy with what's left when people like players parents, players, media members and other desirable members move to a different platform or site? I've seen Mike Irwin practically lose his mind over the stupidity that is allowed to exist in perpetuity here. Richard Davenport isn't around as much any more (other factors) and I have seen him lose his cool over it as well. It seems that there are about 10 posters that are allowed to trash every single thread on this board without repercussion, and once they get posters to become frustrated and retaliate the retaliation is punished.

FOTH, as a razorback fan I apologize for your exposure to this crap. I apologize that this is literally the only viable online message board for razorbacks and your choices are do without or endure this ridiculous and relentless attack on what your son is trying to accomplish in his life. I take pride in what your son is trying to accomplish, and what he has accomplished to date. You and your family have my support and gratitude.

There are other boards out there if you don't like this one.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

I'm not saying it's easy for them. It's definitely not. That's why there are so many programs in place to guide them to a degree. I'm saying, when they are deciding on which degree they are going for, they are well informed on what is the easier path.

bennyl08

Quote from: gchamblee on February 10, 2017, 03:07:33 pm

It certainly would. Similarly for business, most jobs out there are going to be business related. That degree is much more likely to be relevant to a persons eventual career than geology or philosophy or something. Doesn't change that academically speaking, they are some of the easier degrees to attain relative to something like a degree in math or architecture.

Though I have to admit, could you imagine how much better Andrew Luck could have been if he didn't hold a degree in architecture from Stanford? With a head that would fit more comfortably in his helmet, he may have won the heisman and made it to the Super Bowl instead of merely being a runner up, the #1 overall draft pick, and single handedly took his team to the AFC championship.  8)

jkstock04

Here's a pretty good breakdown of the SEC...shows some numbers on a spreadsheet from 2015:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MbtR6hLCECJIZxoEnvte0ThRs6LA8yCzZC1pTbnBSDI/htmlview#

Arkansas' top three were #1 recreation & sports management, #2 kinesiology, #3 communications
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Razorbackers

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 10, 2017, 03:17:49 pm
Here's a pretty good breakdown of the SEC...shows some numbers on a spreadsheet from 2015:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MbtR6hLCECJIZxoEnvte0ThRs6LA8yCzZC1pTbnBSDI/htmlview#

Arkansas' top three were #1 recreation & sports management, #2 kinesiology, #3 communications

2 of the 3 of them have a sports relation to them, and then communications.

I'm not surprised! Sports have been huge in their life, and unless you're NFL bound, it's a good way to keep working in the field that you love.

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 03:25:33 pm
2 of the 3 of them have a sports relation to them, and then communications.

I'm not surprised! Sports have been huge in their life, and unless you're NFL bound, it's a good way to keep working in the field that you love.
You know Ihe always thought kinesiology was not an "easy" degree. I would imagine you have to take some anatomy, chemistry, bio-chemistry type classes. To me that's not screw off classes...far from it. Nurse buddy of mine says kinesiology is pretty much a joke, but if it's those type of classes I'm not thinking so.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Razorbackers

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 10, 2017, 03:32:49 pm
You know Ihe always thought kinesiology was not an "easy" degree. I would imagine you have to take some anatomy, chemistry, bio-chemistry type classes. To me that's not screw off classes...far from it. Nurse buddy of mine says kinesiology is pretty much a joke, but if it's those type of classes I'm not thinking so.

Kinesiology is one of those fields where further education is required to go directly into the practice, from what I understand.

And I could never take those classes. I sucked at STEM courses for real.

ricepig

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 03:38:25 pm
Kinesiology is one of those fields where further education is required to go directly into the practice, from what I understand.

And I could never take those classes. I sucked at STEM courses for real.

A B.S.in Kinesiology is for those wanting to get into coaching, teach P.E., for the most part.

http://kins.uark.edu/degrees/index.php

Razorbackers

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 03:43:27 pm
A B.S.in Kinesiology is for those wanting to get into coaching, teach P.E., for the most part.

Just reading the wiki page made my brain hurt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesiology

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 03:43:27 pm

And here I always thought it was the study of how Joe Kines' brain works.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 10, 2017, 03:32:49 pm

I avoided biology classes (well, except for mathematical biology class), but from people who were in the medical subject area, kinesiology teaches you some of the general information on how the body moves, but avoids the fundamental subjects. I.e. knowing that this tendon connects that muscle to that bone to allow this motion but doesn't require you know all the organic chemistry that allow that communication from muscle to brain or going too in depth on the physics of the movement. And to be frank, assuming that is indeed the case, you don't need to know that amount of detail to still be able to do most things. Don't have to be a mechanical engineer to fix a car.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2017, 03:46:32 pm

That's a PhD level thing

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2017, 03:46:32 pm

I think it's a study of trying to find his brain.

WilsonHog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 10, 2017, 03:20:26 am
I will state this as simply as I can.  If you don't care about the academic aspect of the players lives, then you don't care about the players.  Their grades are their future.  If you don't care about the player's future, then you you don't care about their well being. That means you didn't give a damn when Rawleigh was lying on the ground paralyzed.  You didn't care when Frank lost his dad. These young men mean nothing to you.  This type of talk pisses me off more than anything I've seen on these boards.

End of thread.

I will say that I do not believe some Razorback fans are special or different from any other fan base, in regard to the following:

The extent to which they give a damn about any player begins, and ends, with how well that player entertains them. They'll praise them one minute and talk about how sorry they are the next...and hide behind the rationalization of "fan is short for fanatic."

No, for some it is a synonym for "***hole."

DLUXHOG

Crawl into your hidy hole and watch.....  this will pay the Hog program big dividends in recruiting.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)